- - - - -

Metformin

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 s123

• Director
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:32 AM

Metformin is a biguanide class drug used to treat diabetes mellitus. Like most of you will know, the ins/IGF-1 pathway is not only malfunctioning in diabetes mellitus but it also influences the rate of aging. This of course leads us to the speculation that anti-diabetic drugs could delay aging as well. Several trials have been conducted and they found that metformin significantly increased the lifespan of mice. Female outbred SHR mice who were given 100mg/kg metformin in their drinking water had an 37,8% increase in mean lifespan, 20,8% increase in the last 10% survivors and a 10,3% in maximum lifespan compared to control mice [1]. Also the closely related drugs butformin and phenformin extend the lifespan of mice and furthermore decrease the incidence of spontaneous tumors. Butformin caused a 9% increase in medium lifespan and 1,6 fold reduction in spontaneous tumors. Phenformin had no significant effect on mean lifespan but increased the maximum lifespan by 3 months and decreased tumor incidence by 1,3 fold [2,3]. In the C3H/Sn mice however phenformin did increase the mean lifespan by 24% and the maximum lifespan by 26% while reducing the incidence of spontaneous tumors by fourfold [4]. In another trial, the treatment of C3H/Sn mice with 2mg phenformin per mouse for 5 days a week prolonged the mean lifespan by 21,1%, the lifespan of the last 10% survivors by 28,4%, increased the maximum lifespan by 26% and reduced the incidence of mammary adenocarcinomas by fourfold. Phenformin however didn’t extend the mean lifespan of LIO rats in the same study but it did increase the lifespan of the last 10% survivors by 10,1%, the maximum lifespan by 9,8% and attenuated the development of spontaneous tumors. Butformin was also tested in the same trial and it increased the mean lifespan of female LIO rats by 7,3%, the lifespan of the last 10% survivors by 12%, the maximum lifespan by 5,5% and decreased tumor incidence by 49,5% at 5mg per rat per day [5]. Phenformin had no significant effect on food consumption [6] ruling out the possibility that lower food intake caused the increase in lifespan and decrease in tumor incidence. However, I think that metformin could function as a CR mimic [7]. Metformin activates LKB-1which activates AMPK [8]. AMPK activates TSC1/TSC2 which then inactivates Rheb. Rheb probably activates Torc1 but inhibits Torc2 (Torc is a complex that consists of the well know mTOR combined with mLST8/Gbl, PRAS40 and Raptor in Torc1 or Rictor in Torc2) [9]. This also links this pathway to the discovery of rapamycin as a life extension drug [10] previous year because rapamycin also inhibits Torc1 but not Torc2 [11].

That’s why I decided to start taking metformin, 210mg each morning. Metformin is quite save, I would say about as safe as taking aspirin. But you have to use it in right way just like with aspirin.

What are the things that you have to keep in mind? First of all, metformin bought on the internet is probably fake. Never take that! Secondly, it inhibits the absorption of B12, so you should supplement this. It appears that about 10% but in some studies up to 30% of the people who take metformin experience a reduction in B12 absorption [12-15]. Deficiencies in B12 can lead to neurological problems. It also appears that calcium supplementation reverses the malabsorption of B12 [16]. Third, never take too much and don’t take it if you have kidney-, heart- or liver insufficiency, before an operation or before undergoing a scan that involves the injection of iodinated contrast fluid. In these cases metformin can cause lactic acidosis [17-20]. The incidence of lactic acidosis is estimated to be about 0,03 cases in 1000 patient years [21]. Salpeter et al. found, after reviewing 274 published reports and controlled trials, no cases of fatal or nonfatal lactic acidosis in 59,321 patient-years of metformin use and estimated, using poison statistics, that the upper limit for the true incidence of lactic acidosis per 100,000 patient-years was 5.1 cases in the metformin group and 5.8 cases in the non-metformin group who used other glucose lowering strategies [22]. Therefore some say that the withdrawal before a surgery or scan is not needed [23-25]. However, because I’m talking about metformin as a life extension drug in non-diabetic people it is advisable to better be safe than sorry and thus stop using metformin at least 48h before a scan or operation. Alcohol could increase your risk of lactic acidosis [26], so don’t take metformin just before of while drinking alcohol. Fourth, experiencing gastrointestinal symptoms like diarrhoea during the first couple of days is normal. About 10 to 30% of the patients experience non-specific gastrointestinal symptoms [19]. Fifth, always check if metformin doesn’t interfere with other drugs that you take.

I hereby also promise you to write a paper about the possible use of metformin to slow aging.

[1] Anisimov V. N., Bertsein L. M., Egormin P. A., Piskunova T. S., Popovich I. G., Zabezhinski M. A., Tyndyk M. L., Yurova M. V., Kovalenko I. G., Poroshina T. E., and Semenchenko A. V. Metformin slows down aging and extends life span of female SHR rats. Cell Cycle, 2008, 7(17): 2769-2773.
[2] Anisimov V. N. Effect of phenformin on lifespan, cstrus function and incidence of spontaneous tumors in rats. Farmakol. Tolsikol, 1982, 45: 127.
[3] Anisimov V. N. Carcinogenesis and aging. Boca Raton, CRC Press, 1987.
[4] Dilman V. M., and Anisimov V. N. Effects of treatment with phenformin, dyphenylhydantoin or L-dopa on life span and tumor incidence in C3H/Sn mice. Gerontology, 1980, 26: 241-246.
[5] Anisimov V. N., Semenchenko A. V. and Yashin A. I. Insulin and longevity: antidiabetic biguanides as geroprotectors. Biogerontology, 2003, 4: 297-307.
[6] Anisimov V. N., Ukraintseva S. V., Anikin I. V., Popovich I. G., Zaberzhinski M. A., Bertsein L. M., Arutjunyan A. V., Ingram D. K., Lane M. A., and Roth G. S. Effects of phentermine and phenformin on biomarkers of aging in rats. Gerontology, 2005, 51: 19-28.
[7] Xie Z., Dong Y., Scholz R., Neumann D., and Zou M-H. Phosphorylation of LKB1 at Serine 428 by Protein Kinase C- Is Required for Metformin-Enhanced Activation of the AMP-Activated Protein Kinase in Endothelial Cells. Circulation, 2008, 117: 952-962.
[8] Dhahbi J. M., Mote P. L., Fahy G. M., and Spindler S. R. Identification of potential caloric restriction mimetics by microarray profiling. Physiol. Genomics, 2005, 23: 343-350.
[9] Qian Yang, Ken Inoki, Eunjung Kim, and Kun-Liang Guan. TSC1/TSC2 and Rheb have different effects on TORC1 and TORC2 activity.
[10] Harrison D. E., Strong R., Sharp Z. D., Nelson J. F., Astle C. M., Flurkey K., Nadon N. L., Wilkinson J. E., Frenkel K., Carter C. S., Pahor M., Javors M. A., Fernandez E., and Miller R. A. Rapamycin fed late in life extends lifespan in genetically heterogeneous mice. Nature, 2009, 460: 392-395.
[11] Liao X-H, Majithia A., Xiuli H, Kimmel A. R. Growth control via TOR kinase signaling, an intracellular sensor of amino acid and energy availability, with crosstalk potential to proline metabolism. Amino Acids, 2008, 35(4): 761-770.
[12] Kin Wah Liu, Lok Kwan Dai, and Woo Jean. Metformin-related vitamin B12 deficiency. Age and Ageing, 2006, 35: 200-201.
[13] Tomkin G. H., Hadden R., Weaver J. A., and Montgomery D. A. D. Vitamin-B12 status of patients on long-term metformin therapy. Br. Med. J., 1971, 2: 685-687.
[14] Tomkin G. H. Malabsorption of vitamin B12 in diabetic patients treated with phenformin: a comparison with metformin. Br. Med. J., 1973, 3: 673-675.
[15] Caspary W. F., and Creutzfeldt W. Analysis of the inhibitory effect of biguanides on glucose absorption. Diabetologia, 1971, 7: 379-385.
[16] Bauman W. A., Shaw S., Jayatilleke E., Spungen A. M. and Herbert V. Increased intake of calcium reverses vitamin B12 malabsorption induced by metformin. Diabetes Care, 2000, 23(9): 1227-1231.
[17] Dell'Aglio D. M., Perino L. J., Kazzi Z., Abramson J., Schwartz M. D., and Morgan B. W. Acute Metformin Overdose: Examining Serum pH, Lactate Level, and Metformin Concentrations in Survivors Versus Nonsurvivors: A Systematic Review of the Literature. Annals of Emergency Medicine, 2009, 54(6): 818-823.
[18] L.A. Bruijstens, M. van Luin, P.M.M. Buscher-Jungerhans, F.H. Bosch. Reality of severe metformin-induced lactic acidosis in the absence of chronic renal impairment. The Nederlands Journal of Medicine, 2008, 66(5): 185-190.
[19] Olivera-González S., de Escalante-Yangüela B., Velilla-Soriano C., Amores-Arriaga B., Martín-Fortea P., and Navarro-Aguilar M. E. Metformin-associated hepatotoxicity. Med Intensiva, 2009 Dec 31. [Epub ahead of print].
[20] Luft F. C. Lactic Acidosis Update for Critical Care Clinicians. J. Am. Soc. Nephrol., 2001, 12: S15-S19.
[21] Bailey C. J., Path M. R. C., and Turner R. C. Drug therapy: metformin. New England Journal of Medicine, 1996, 334: 574-579.
[22] Salpeter S, Greyber E, Pasternak G, Salpeter E. Risk of fatal and nonfatal lactic acidosis with metformin use in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006, CD002967.
[23] Khurana R., and Malik I. S.Metformin: not the bad guy. Heart. 2009 Jul 2. [Epub ahead of print]
[24] Rasuli P., and Hammond D. I. Metformin and contrast media: where is the conflict? Can. Assoc. Radiol. J., 1998, 49(3): 161-6.
[25] Preiss D. J., and Sattar N. Metformin and lactic acidosis Metformin: framed again? BMJ 2009, 339: b5570.
[26] Dubas T. C., and Johnson W. J. Metformin-induced lactic acidosis: potentiation by ethanol. Res. Commun. Chem. Pathol. Pharmacol., 1981, 33(1): 21-31.
  • like x 2
  • Informative x 1

#2 Vultures

• 61 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:48 AM

How do you deal with decreased testo? I am also pretty much intrested in this drug (for antiaging, weight loss, increased insulin sensitivity - it seems that I am somewhat resistant, and perceived AGE breaking), but decreased testosterone is a scary thing when you are 26...

Edited by Vultures, 08 January 2010 - 02:49 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 s123

• Topic Starter
  • Director
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:09 AM

How do you deal with decreased testo? I am also pretty much intrested in this drug (for antiaging, weight loss, increased insulin sensitivity - it seems that I am somewhat resistant, and perceived AGE breaking), but decreased testosterone is a scary thing when you are 26...

Good question, I haven't looked into that. Testosterone seems to protect against a several diseases (heart, diabetes, obesity,...) however CR decreases testosterone levels while at the same time prevents much of the diseases that are also prevented by testosterone.

BTW, I'm 21.

#4 Vultures

• 61 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:28 AM

I believe the issue is discussed in detail on this forum in several threads.

Edited by Vultures, 08 January 2010 - 03:30 AM.

#5 fatboy

• 286 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:53 AM

Yeah, but it's not so scary when you're 47. You just supplement it from an exogenous source.

#6 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:13 PM

Spindler's lab is currently testing 2 dosages of metformin on 'bormal' mice:
http://www.mfoundati...read.php?t=1532

Rats have frail kidneys, that could explain the poor life extension in rats

#7 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:33 PM

Spindler's lab is currently testing 2 dosages of metformin on 'bormal' mice:
http://www.mfoundati...read.php?t=1532

Rats have frail kidneys, that could explain the poor life extension in rats

Geez, how come I missed all those updates. I've been meaning to ask the NIA researchers about the next cohort(s) for some time.

The old metformin thread for reference:

http://www.imminst.o...mp;hl=metformin

Edited by kismet, 17 January 2010 - 11:34 PM.

#8 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:14 AM

Spindler's lab is currently testing 2 dosages of metformin on 'bormal' mice

I meant 'normal' mice

#9 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:38 AM

Good question, I haven't looked into that. Testosterone seems to protect against a several diseases (heart, diabetes, obesity,...) however CR decreases testosterone levels while at the same time prevents much of the diseases that are also prevented by testosterone.

BTW, I'm 21.

Does a 21 year old really benefit much from taking metformin? Can't you take other natural supplements, eat right, and exercise to achieve desired results at 21 years old? Unless you are prone to having weight issues or do not feel you have superior genetics, 21 does not seem to be an age to start something like metformin, maybe 31 or 41, but not 21.

Edited by morganator, 18 January 2010 - 07:39 AM.

#10 s123

• Topic Starter
  • Director
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:56 PM

BTW, I'm 21.

Does a 21 year old really benefit much from taking metformin? Can't you take other natural supplements, eat right, and exercise to achieve desired results at 21 years old? Unless you are prone to having weight issues or do not feel you have superior genetics, 21 does not seem to be an age to start something like metformin, maybe 31 or 41, but not 21.

My weight is 48kg, I eat right (calorie restriction) and do moderate exercise. Why shouldn't I take metformin to increase my lifespan potential even further? There's much more evidence that metformin works compared to some other supplements like resveratrol. The mice in reference [1] received their first dose of metformin when they were only 3 months old. As far as I know, nobody ever tested the use of metformin in old mice, so you cannot claim that older people benefit as much as young ones.

#11 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:20 AM

My weight is 48kg, I eat right (calorie restriction) and do moderate exercise. Why shouldn't I take metformin to increase my lifespan potential even further? There's much more evidence that metformin works compared to some other supplements like resveratrol. The mice in reference [1] received their first dose of metformin when they were only 3 months old. As far as I know, nobody ever tested the use of metformin in old mice, so you cannot claim that older people benefit as much as young ones.

Well for starters, the study was done on mice. And, secondly, you are so young, why take any synthetic drug at this point. You could activate AMPK naturally through intense exercise(interval sprint training would be best). And, you could take resveratrol(I know there may not be enough evidence yet) and pycnogenol to further control insulin and lower glucose levels.

Edited by Michael, 17 June 2011 - 11:22 PM.
trim quotes

#12 s123

• Topic Starter
  • Director
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:38 PM

Well for starters, the study was done on mice. And, secondly, you are so young, why take any synthetic drug at this point. You could activate AMPK naturally through intense exercise(interval sprint training would be best). And, you could take resveratrol(I know there may not be enough evidence yet) and pycnogenol to further control insulin and lower glucose levels.

1) Nature produces some of the most deadly and carcinogenic toxins known to men e.g. botuline toxin A, aflatoxin, tetanospasmin, tetrodotoxin,... People always seem to be afraid when something is made synthetically. Yet, a synthetic drug can be much safer than a plant extract.

2) The studies with resveratrol where also done on mice, flies and worms. The mice on a standard diet supplemented with resveratrol did not live longer.

Pearson KJ, et al. (2008). "Resveratrol delays age-related deterioration and mimics transcriptional aspects of dietary restriction without extending life span". Cell Metab 8 (2): 157–68.

3) Resveratrol significantly decreased the lifespan of D. melanogaster in four trials. This has never been observed with metformin.

Bass TM, Weinkove D, Houthoofd K, Gems D, and Partridge L. Effects of resveratrol on lifespan in Drosophila melanogaster and Caenorhabditis elegans. Mech Ageing Dev., 2007, 128(10): 546-552.
  • like x 1

#13 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:14 PM

1) Nature produces some of the most deadly and carcinogenic toxins known to men e.g. botuline toxin A, aflatoxin, tetanospasmin, tetrodotoxin,... People always seem to be afraid when something is made synthetically. Yet, a synthetic drug can be much safer than a plant extract.

2) The studies with resveratrol where also done on mice, flies and worms. The mice on a standard diet supplemented with resveratrol did not live longer.

Pearson KJ, et al. (2008). "Resveratrol delays age-related deterioration and mimics transcriptional aspects of dietary restriction without extending life span". Cell Metab 8 (2): 157–68.

3) Resveratrol significantly decreased the lifespan of D. melanogaster in four trials. This has never been observed with metformin.

Bass TM, Weinkove D, Houthoofd K, Gems D, and Partridge L. Effects of resveratrol on lifespan in Drosophila melanogaster and Caenorhabditis elegans. Mech Ageing Dev., 2007, 128(10): 546-552.

O.k., you bring up some good points. I still think you would be just fine doing what you are doing, start taking a moderate dose of resveratrol(I don't see how it could decrease your lifespan) and pycnogenol, and adding to your routine a 15 min sprint interval workout 3 to 4 times a week(which we should all be doing anyway if we want to do what is best for out lungs and heart).

Maybe you are not rolling the dice much on Metformin. I've just seen it recommended to be taken after 40 for life extension, an age when you may begin to need help with insulin and glucose levels, not at 21, when our bodies typically are doing just fine in this department. Then again, you might be on to something. Who knows. Maybe humans can benefit the same way the mice did in the study-starting young may just be better than waiting till we are 40.

As with any medication, there is a risk of side effects/complications. Then again, you are so young, the chances of you having any problems with it may be much less than someone older. I guess the only concerns would be B12 malabsorption and elevated homocysteine levels. I think there are other potential side effects in the long term but they are rare.

#14 s123

• Topic Starter
  • Director
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:29 PM

I've just seen it recommended to be taken after 40 for life extension, an age when you may begin to need help with insulin and glucose levels, not at 21, when our bodies typically are doing just fine in this department.

Metformin does more than just decreasing glucose levels and increasing insulin sensitivity. For example it inhibits Torc1 and thus influences aging signaling directly.

As with any medication, there is a risk of side effects/complications. Then again, you are so young, the chances of you having any problems with it may be much less than someone older. I guess the only concerns would be B12 malabsorption and elevated homocysteine levels. I think there are other potential side effects in the long term but they are rare.

A natural supplement can also have side effects even serious ones like cancer. I will go to the doctor for a blood test this week and homocysteine and B12 (or methylmalonic acid if it's possible) are on my list.

#15 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:50 AM

If I'm not mistaken the most recent studies with resveratrol had shown that while they did not extend the life span of mice it did in fact extend their health span, which is a plus in my opinion. However, I agree with the other member who says someone so young should not be taking such a drug. Also, considering the drug is for diabetic individuals what ethical doctor would prescribe it to their patients if they're not suffering from the disease? Would it not be illegal to give to healthy people?

Anyway, there are other CR mimetics that haven't received the same amount of press as Metformin and Resveratrol and I was wondering what people think of them?

Here's a list I found from a CR website: http://www.cron-web....r-mimetics.html

The Major Players:
  • 2-DG (2-deoxy-D-glucose) [see, this article; other refs below]. Basically, 2DG does not block nutrient absorption, but throws a wrench in glycolysis, 'starving' the cell for fuel even as you digest all of your food.(9). Threshold Pharmaceuticals claims they are "conducting a Phase 1 trial of daily 2DG as a single agent and in combination with Taxotere to evaluate the safety, pharmacokinetics and maximum tolerated dose in patients with solid tumors. We plan to also conduct a Phase 1 trial of single doses of 2DG to evaluate its effect on prostate metabolism. We are developing 2DG based on its specificity for targeting tumor cells and extensive human safety data, as well as recently demonstrated animal efficacy that we and our collaborators at the University of Miami published in Cancer Research in January 2004."(20)
  • Iodoacetate (18, 19)
  • Metformin appears to produce a CR mimetic effect, and extended lifespan in mice, as noted by Biomarker Pharmaceuticals.(1)
  • Resveratrol : found in grapes and red wine. Currently being marketed by several supplement companies.
  • R(+)-Lipoic Acid (16, 17)
Other Candidates:

Edited by Michael, 17 June 2011 - 11:25 PM.
trim quotes

#16 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:12 AM

Benagene?

#17 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:48 AM

Benagene?

I'm skeptical about that product, there is research that shows it extended the life of worms but we need to see more tests especially on higher order animals.

#18 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:48 AM

Benagene?

I'm skeptical about that product, there is research that shows it extended the life of worms but we need to see more tests especially on higher order animals.

If it does something (blood sugar, maybe improving your digestion, reduce cravings) for you right here, right now or within a couple of weeks of supplementation, you may not need 'more tests'. Otherwise, I agree, - wait it out.

#19 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:25 PM

The website claims "Human clinical trials confirm the ability of benaGene to lower fasting blood glucose levels and increase glucose uptake by tissues (reduce insulin resistance), similar to those changes seen in calorie restriction." This appears to be a small, unpublished study, however.

#20 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

Another reason to consider Metformin

"Scientists discover how drug slows aging and cancer"
". University of Montreal researchers have discovered a novel molecular mechanism that can potentially slows the aging process and may prevent the progression of some cancers. In the March 23 online edition of the prestigious journal Aging Cell, scientists from the University of Montreal explain how they found that the antidiabetic drug metformin reduces the production of inflammatory cytokines that normally activate the immune system, but if overproduced can lead to pathological inflammation, a condition that both damages tissues in aging and favors tumor growth."
http://www.nouvelles...and-cancer.html

#21 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:49 PM

Read the thread. Taking 250 mg in the evening to check and possibly increasing it after blood test results.

#22 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 August 2015 - 03:10 PM

Interesting paper (bold mine)

Do metformin a real anticarcinogen? A critical reappraisal of experimental data

"Abstract: Evidence has emerged that antidiabetic biguanides [phenformin (PF), buformin (BF) and metformin (MF)] are promising candidates for prevention of cancer. It was shown that antidiabetic biguanides postpone spontaneous carcinogenesis as well as inhibit carcinogenesis induced by chemical, radiation and biological factors (virus, transgene, genetic modifications, special diet, etc.) in a number of organs and tissues in various strains of mice and rats. The present review focused on some details of experiments such as design of studies, dose and route of administration of biguanide, and age of animals at start of treatment etc. Conclusion may be done that there are rather sufficient evidence of cancer-preventive activity of antidiabetic biguanides in experimental animals."

Interesting the comment on low doses:

"...It’s easy to show that doses of MF less than 500 mg/kg in mice yielded plasma level of MF practically similar to that in diabetic patients. Our calculation has shown that used in our experiments dose of MF 100 mg/kg equal to 300 mg/m2 of the surface area. Recalculation for humans gives in average 510 mg/m2, that is much less that commonly used in clinical practice (1.0-2.5 g per day) (29,39). We believe that studies on the effect of various routes of MF administration at various doses levels will very helpful for a search most optimal regimens for prevention and treatment of cancer..."

And:

"...It gives a hope that the scientific community will finally able with light heart to recommend MF for cancer prevention not only in type 2 diabetics but also in peoples without clinically manifested diabetes, in groups of risk and in “normal” persons..."

"...Thus, available data on effects of antidiabetic biguanides on cancer both as anti-tumor growth and as cancer preventive agent allow recommending to evaluate its efficacy according to experience and rules of the International Agency for Research on Cancer Monograph programme adopted for IARC Handbooks of Cancer Prevention series (http://www.iarc.fr/e...books/index.php)..."

http://www.atmjourna.../view/3974/4956

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#23 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:14 PM

I wonder if topical metformin is a dermal youthifying Cr mimetic (ish) drug

so I put some at sunscreen, I have not actually used it yet.  perhaps there will be a discernable effect.

Niacin at sunscreen actually caused smoother skin (it is an advertised ingredient also) 

also this is a list of longevity drugs at a youtube video https://www.youtube....h?v=5At7wmE-97E I made

More than 11 longevity drugs that cause lab mammals to live one fifth to twice as much longer metformin, deprenyl, eptalon peptide activated charcoal enterosobent, the polyamine spermidine, royal jelly, C60 Buckminster fullerene at olive oil, Daf with p53 gene, centrophenoxine, rapamycin, resveratrol, reishi 

So if one linked molecule is made of each of these molecules linked to each to they then accumulate longevity pharmaceutical activity at the known longevity cytoareas or tissue areas that their dimer codrugs are active at?

Would C60 linked to epitalon peptide beneficially accumulate C60 at new, yet basically mapped, physiolocations?

Would deprenyl linked to the polyamine spermidine cause more spermidine to beneficially accumulate at the CNS where depprenyl is active

Researching these Colinked longevity drugs would be one rather engineering centric approach to the methuselah mouse prize

If visitors know of other things published at peer reviewed literature to place at an update those comments are much appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users