Photo
- - - - -

How to sleep faceup?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:54 AM

I've been trying to change this bad habit of sleeping face down. But so far, its a complete failure. I feel bad for my facial collagen. My face is getting flat. :(

I thought of taking first class flights from NYC to Sydney back and forth 3-4 x a week, reading books and sleeping to train myself. But the cost is just not justifiable ($10k per flight) for changing a bad habit.

Any thoughts on how I can sleep face up?

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:11 AM

You could try raising the head of your bed. The higher it is, the less likely you will be to snore or have apnea-like events, and the less comfortable it will be to sleep face down. I've seen a thing advertised for snoring prevention, called a "snore-ball" iirc; it would prevent you from sleeping on your back, which leads to more snoring. It consisted of a ball of some sort with a strap connected to it. You would wear it around your chest with the ball in the back, and if you happened to roll over onto your back at night, it would be uncomfortable and you would roll back over. You could make or buy something like that, but have the ball be on your chest instead of your back.

I mostly sleep on my stomach, and would rather sleep on my back too. I find it a lot harder to get to sleep on my back though, and if I'm on my back, I tend to snore, so I only try it when I'm sleeping alone. It's definitely better for you to sleep on your back, although apnea and snoring can change the equation.

As for the first class flights, it would be cheaper to buy an airline seat and a noise generator.

#3 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:05 AM

Have you tried lying on your stomach until you're almost asleep, then rolling over at the last minute? It can take a few weeks to a few months to get used to sleeping on your back but it is better for your posture and yeah, you avoid the whole smashing your nose thing.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:06 AM

i have this same problem too, so i sympathize with you. i think sleeping on my side w/ a pillow between legs is easier. i actually took a random poll once on a similar health website and most people slept on their sides, not their backs.

#5 ahk

• Validating/Suspended
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:46 PM

I started sleeping face up since giving up pillows about a year ago. Now it's become my most natural posture for sleep.
Also seems to have helped in lucid dreaming :)

#6 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:52 PM

When sleeping on my back, I find that to keep the airways open, a narrow pillow under the neck (not the head) is very helpful. In other words, it helps to sleep with your neck arched a little backwards. This eliminates the snoring and apnea that I would otherwise get with a pillow under my head.

#7 Saber

• 110 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:16 PM

I would suggest sleeping in the fetal position. I slept in the soldier position all my life and it causes snoring (possibly bruxism as well). Though I find it the most comfortable, sleeping in other position (side or face down) just place a lot of pressure on certain parts of the body.

#8 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:40 AM

Though I find it the most comfortable, sleeping in other position (side or face down) just place a lot of pressure on certain parts of the body.

For certain kinds of shoulder and back injuries, side sleeping is out of the question. Since I have both, I've had to learn to sleep on my back. This was very, very hard for me to get used to after a lifetime of side sleeping.

On the other hand, it has been very good for my facial skin. I had developed an almost permanent crease on my face from lying on it. This crease is now gone, as are some of the wrinkles under my eyes.

Edited by viveutvivas, 15 January 2010 - 01:42 AM.

#9 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:20 AM

Instinctive sleeping and resting postures: an anthropological and zoological approach to treatment of low back and joint pain

#10 openeyes

• 120 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:43 AM

At 13 I started sleeping on a yoga mat on the hardwood floor of my bedroom, and the only comfortable position on such a firm surface was my back, so the habit was quickly acquired and now it's unusual to fall asleep in any other position, even on softer surfaces.

#11 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:50 AM

sleeping on the side is comfy and snuggly :/

#12 REGIMEN

• 570 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:46 AM

I've been trying to change this bad habit of sleeping face down. But so far, its a complete failure. I feel bad for my facial collagen. My face is getting flat. :(

I thought of taking first class flights from NYC to Sydney back and forth 3-4 x a week, reading books and sleeping to train myself. But the cost is just not justifiable ($10k per flight) for changing a bad habit.

Any thoughts on how I can sleep face up?

One pillow beneath your knees and a slightly "shorter" one under your neck/head.

This is the healthiest way to sleep in that it enables the best circulation to all your extremities, face, and organs as well as allowing the most natural of bone and spine postures. I find it easiest to sleep on my back after an acupuncture session. I find that if I'm sleeping on my side or front it's due to any number of issues associated with problems remediated by a course of acupuncture and Chinese medicine herbal formulas. Take for example the ubiquitous diagnostic partial of "Liver Qi Stagnation"; this will generally lead to sleeping on one's right side to "quell" the subtle discomfort one feels on the side of the body that the Liver meridian is most pronounced when Stagnant and congested.

#13 bosharpe

• 239 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:57 AM

I'm about to invest in a travel pillow to keep my head in a certain position at night. I also think light can cause me to turn over and away so quality curtains or an eye shade may help.

#14 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:55 PM

I eventually started having choking episodes on my back and returned to sleeping on my side/stomach, where I have no breathing problems.  I think apnea is probably worse for you than a morning crease or two in your face. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users