Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

mitoQ

• Please log in to reply
351 replies to this topic

#61 maggie67

• 17 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

Greg I am a 64 year old woman weighing 48 kilos-I am taking 5mg now without feeling any effects.Should I take a higher dose?.I also take CoQ10 50-100 mg a day Life Extension plus other supplements.While I hope my arteries are benefiting I am looking for an improvement for my skin-both face and body (which makes your cream a little too costly). What dosage would you recommend for this purpose? Many thanks.

#62 gregmacpherson

• 127 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

Hi Maggie, approximately 3% of the oral dose of MitoQ will reach your dermis and exert an effect. I would suggest a 10mg dose would both assist the skin goals you are looking for as well as give you an overall health benefit. You could drop your CoQ10 dose down to 50mg per day to help offset the increased cost of the higher dose of MitoQ.  

I am a pharmacist by training so if you wanted to take this offline and email your supplement list/medication list and health goals I can give you a quick opinion if that is of interest. gmacpherson@mitoq.com. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#63 maggie67

• 17 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:52 AM

Thank you so much for your reply Greg.I will do that.

#64 TRUGAN

• 196 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:39 PM

Im surprised more people are not interested in that article.................. http://www.scienceda...40506094940.htm

I have some questions.

1. In the article it only took the mice a few weeks to get the results. How long would we expect a 200 pound rat to get the same results?

2. Once the endothelium cells are repaired would it be permanent and take years to degrade like it did the first time or would it rapidly degrade when mitoq is stopped?

3. I can probably only afford to take one bottle (10mg) a month. How much regular coq10 would I need to take to make up the difference?

#65 gregmacpherson

• 127 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:46 PM

Im surprised more people are not interested in that article.................. http://www.scienceda...40506094940.htm

It is a very interesting piece of research and all helps build out a picture that MitoQ has significant potential for human health ... more to come as well. 

I have some questions.

1. In the article it only took the mice a few weeks to get the results. How long would we expect a 200 pound rat to get the same results?

The researchers from the Colorado study are planning to repeat the study with these so-called larger rats early next year ...  They will be testing 10mg, 20mg and 40mg.   From anecdotal feedback to date 10mg will be best bang for your buck but 20mg will deliver further benefit. 40mg will give you more but not as great a differential improvement as the leap from 10 to 20mg. 

2. Once the endothelium cells are repaired would it be permanent and take years to degrade like it did the first time or would it rapidly degrade when mitoq is stopped?

That is the million dollar question.  My gut feeling is that you will repair many systems over a years course of MitoQ and that this will deliver benefit for some time.  That said, taking MitoQ on an ongoing basis will deliver best results. 

3. I can probably only afford to take one bottle (10mg) a month. How much regular coq10 would I need to take to make up the difference?

10mg per day is absolutely fine if you are healthy and looking to reduce oxidative stress and optimise mitochondrial function.  If you have a specific condition that results in higher oxidative stress or secondary mitochondrial dysfunction then a dose of 20mg should be considered.  But from a budget perspective 10mg will be better that none in both cases.  

In terms of CoQ10.  I have read that 5% of CoQ10 supplement is absorbed. I am not sure if that is the case with some of the optimised CoQ10 that may give you more.   

We know that CoQ10 is an oily sticky substance that moves with difficulty across membranes - hence the reason it is manufactured in the mitochondria itself. It is hard to give the exact comparison between both compounds like for like but we do know that MitoQ, due to membrane potential differentials, follows the Nernst equation which predicts that between 300 and 1000 times as much MitoQ will end up in the mitochondria than CoQ10.  This has been confirmed in the laboratory.  With that in mind you would need to take a very high dose of CoQ10 to get the same mitochondrial effect as 10mg of MitoQ. 

#66 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:51 AM

niner, when you said that to notice the effects of supplementation you should hit the gym and/or relation to alcohol consumption. can you explain what did you mean by the alcohol consumption statement? is this stuff supposed to be noticiably prevent alcohol toxicity one way or another?

#67 TRUGAN

• 196 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:40 AM

It is a very interesting piece of research and all helps build out a picture that MitoQ has significant potential for human health ... more to come as well. 

I have some questions.

The researchers from the Colorado study are planning to repeat the study with these so-called larger rats early next year ...  They will be testing 10mg, 20mg and 40mg.   From anecdotal feedback to date 10mg will be best bang for your buck but 20mg will deliver further benefit. 40mg will give you more but not as great a differential improvement as the leap from 10 to 20mg. 

That is the million dollar question.  My gut feeling is that you will repair many systems over a years course of MitoQ and that this will deliver benefit for some time.  That said, taking MitoQ on an ongoing basis will deliver best results. 

10mg per day is absolutely fine if you are healthy and looking to reduce oxidative stress and optimise mitochondrial function.  If you have a specific condition that results in higher oxidative stress or secondary mitochondrial dysfunction then a dose of 20mg should be considered.  But from a budget perspective 10mg will be better that none in both cases.  

In terms of CoQ10.  I have read that 5% of CoQ10 supplement is absorbed. I am not sure if that is the case with some of the optimised CoQ10 that may give you more.   

We know that CoQ10 is an oily sticky substance that moves with difficulty across membranes - hence the reason it is manufactured in the mitochondria itself. It is hard to give the exact comparison between both compounds like for like but we do know that MitoQ, due to membrane potential differentials, follows the Nernst equation which predicts that between 300 and 1000 times as much MitoQ will end up in the mitochondria than CoQ10.  This has been confirmed in the laboratory.  With that in mind you would need to take a very high dose of CoQ10 to get the same mitochondrial effect as 10mg of MitoQ. 

Thanks for the respose. I will give 10mg a shot and see how it goes.

#68 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:44 AM

niner, when you said that to notice the effects of supplementation you should hit the gym and/or relation to alcohol consumption. can you explain what did you mean by the alcohol consumption statement? is this stuff supposed to be noticiably prevent alcohol toxicity one way or another?

Those suggestions were things to consider when looking for effects from MitoQ.  This is based on analogy to c60-oo, which I think might be acting like MitoQ.  With c60-oo, a lot of people have seen greatly reduced muscle fatigue and higher endurance, although no one reports feeling stronger.  The way that it shows up is that you can do more reps.  The alcohol effect is that the alcohol high feels different.  There's less of the tight numbness in the face, and I just don't feel "as drunk".  I don't think that I'm less impaired, I just don't feel it in the same way.  I'm not really a heavy drinker; over the years I've learned how to not have hangovers.  (i.e., don't drink too much...)  However, I think that I can tolerate more alcohol while still feeling pretty good the next day.  I don't know if MitoQ will do any of these things or not, but it might, so they are things to watch for.  I'm interested in any effects that anyone notices from MitoQ, and also would like to know if people are using c60, SkQ1, SS-31 or anything else that might be a mitochondrial antioxidant prior to or during their use of MitoQ.

#69 michael0505

• 35 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:31 PM

is there likely any positive effect for hair thickness and reversal of minor graying?

#70 gregmacpherson

• 127 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:33 PM

We have some customers reporting back that they are experiencing a positive effect on hair thickness and greying but it is more the exception rather than the rule. 

Thanks. 

#71 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:37 AM

greg, what about alcohol related damage. can it ameliorate that before, during and after intoxication? more importantly, during withdraw and long term anti-toxicity potential.

#72 gregmacpherson

• 127 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:21 AM

Hi, yes, we have some interesting work done in animal models of ethanol induced liver damage. 

Here is a link to the paper http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21520201

And it is summarised in this article ... http://www.uab.edu/n...d-liver-disease

The liver, heart, kidneys and brain are organs with high energy requirements and have a much larger number of mitochondria per cell than other organs.

In general if we decrease oxidative stress and improve mitochondrial function it will be supportive of overall liver health.  

Thanks

#73 TRUGAN

• 196 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:21 AM

Hi, yes, we have some interesting work done in animal models of ethanol induced liver damage. 

Here is a link to the paper http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21520201

And it is summarised in this article ... http://www.uab.edu/n...d-liver-disease

The liver, heart, kidneys and brain are organs with high energy requirements and have a much larger number of mitochondria per cell than other organs.

In general if we decrease oxidative stress and improve mitochondrial function it will be supportive of overall liver health.  

Thanks

That is good to know. Perhaps we should take extra mitoq on drinking nights and the morning after.

#74 gregmacpherson

• 127 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:42 AM

Hi,

An interesting article attached that features the inventor of MitoQ and his work on mitochondrial targets for those that are interested. 

Thanks

Greg

Attached Files

• like x 1

#75 gregmacpherson

• 127 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:57 AM

Also an interesting paper ... it seems we now have a marker for mitochondrial functions which is fantastic progress. 

http://www.clinsci.o...7/cs1270367.htm

#76 mitomutant

• 190 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:48 PM

MitoQ was once the hope of people - me included - with mitochondrial diseases. Too bad it has ended-up as a skin care product. Nevertheless, I have just ordered a bottle. It will be interesting too see its effects on my faulty mitos. I will report any significant effect.

Thanks for trying it, mm. I'm looking forward to hearing about it. If you combine it with c60, I think that synergy is at least plausible. They both place electronically active molecules in the mitochondrial membrane, but the two structures are very different. I suppose anti-synergy is also a possibility...

I finally got the chance to try mitoQ.

- I was taking 300 mg of Ubiquinol daily. This is the minimal dosage that gives me enough energy for the daily life.

- I have been taking 10mg of MitoQ daily for 2 months.

At first, I seemed to work far better than Ubiquinol - in terms of energy/vitality-, but after 2 months the effects are roughly the same as Ubiquinol (at a much lower dosage)

Now, I am alternating Ubiquinol and MitoQ.

Note that If I discontinue Ubiquinol, my body will crash in 2 weeks. Crash as  in I cannot barely get out of the bed in the bad days. Interestingly, it takes 3-4 weeks of supplementation to get my energy level back. When I started MitoQ, I was worried about the potential crash, but it did not happened, so MitoQ does work in my case.

• like x 2

#77 LexLux

• 265 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:57 PM

Would it be crazy to dissolve these in water to make eye drops? 

#78 gregmacpherson

• 127 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:08 AM

Would it be crazy to dissolve these in water to make eye drops? 

Hi, yes, unfortunately it would be :).  We have inert fillers in the capsules that would likely irritate your eyes.

#79 LexLux

• 265 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:03 AM

Thanks for the warning, it's pretty cool to have Greg Macpherson on Longecity! :D Makes me wonder what other well known entrepreneurs are frequenting the forum.

Edited by LexLux, 10 June 2014 - 05:09 AM.

#80 mitomutant

• 190 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:46 AM

Hi,

An interesting article attached that features the inventor of MitoQ and his work on mitochondrial targets for those that are interested. 

Thanks

Greg

Hi Greg,

I do have a primary mitochondrial disease (single mtDNA deletion, CPEO + myopathy). I have been  taking mitoQ 10mg/daily with the same results as Ubiquinol 300mg. Would you recommend upping the dosage ?

Also, are you aware of any reported side effect affecting the heart conduction system ? My last EKG came with some abnormalities (long QT) and  I read somewhere that CoQ10 can potentially prolong the QT interval as it can potentially prolong the action potential duration. At first, I thought that I was taking too much mitoQ, but at 10mg daily I don´t think that´s the case.

Thanks.

#81 gregmacpherson

• 127 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:26 PM

Hi Greg,

I do have a primary mitochondrial disease (single mtDNA deletion, CPEO + myopathy). I have been  taking mitoQ 10mg/daily with the same results as Ubiquinol 300mg. Would you recommend upping the dosage ?

Also, are you aware of any reported side effect affecting the heart conduction system ? My last EKG came with some abnormalities (long QT) and  I read somewhere that CoQ10 can potentially prolong the QT interval as it can potentially prolong the action potential duration. At first, I thought that I was taking too much mitoQ, but at 10mg daily I don´t think that´s the case.

Thanks.

Hi, 

Yes, you can increase your dose to 20mg and observe how that helps you.  Some people see additional benefit - others don't so it is a matter of trialling it and if the benefit is there stay at the higher dose otherwise revert to 10mg.  

I am not aware of an effect on prolonging QT.  CoQ10 is often recommended to assist long QT syndrome and by association MitoQ should deliver a similar effect. There are a number of medicines that can have an effect on prolonging QT. If you want private message me with your medicine list and I can do a review. 

#82 mitomutant

• 190 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:39 AM

Hi Greg,

Thanks.

Hi, 

Yes, you can increase your dose to 20mg and observe how that helps you.  Some people see additional benefit - others don't so it is a matter of trialling it and if the benefit is there stay at the higher dose otherwise revert to 10mg.  

I am not aware of an effect on prolonging QT.  CoQ10 is often recommended to assist long QT syndrome and by association MitoQ should deliver a similar effect. There are a number of medicines that can have an effect on prolonging QT. If you want private message me with your medicine list and I can do a review. 

Thanks Greg. I have an appoinment today for a cardiac MRI and a 24h Holter monitoring to rule out any cardiac complication due to my underlying disease which, as you know, are relatively common. I will wait for the results before changing my current supp regimen. Thanks.

#83 quandary

• 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:11 PM

Hi Greg,

A few questions, some from curiosity others would be really helpful.

I’ve read about the possibly SkQ1 being useful as eye drops for Macular Degeneration.  Are the MitoQ supplements any use for this since they have some similarities?  A relative has either dry or wet AMD (we’re not sure) and wondering what might help as read nothing can be done medically for the dry condition, at least that’s not a medical trial or if you've already had cataract treatment.

I do have a relative with MS (and also diabetes) who hasn’t worked for over a decade.  I see anecdotally MitoQ may do some good here.  Are there any ways to get this through state medical aid?  As many people with these issues are not too affluent.

Further do you do any sort of questioning of users especially those using MitoQ to study effect.  Obviously wouldn’t quite be a medical study of validation but could be better than forum chat and anecdotes.

Some of the statements on the blog people said they would take the supplements as long as they last, maybe 30, 50 or more years.  Is that safe to do so?

My curiosity is what potential gains could an athlete see from MitoQ?  Is it a banned substance for professional athletes?  Similarly any studies on its effect on VO2 max? 

Thanks

#84 gregmacpherson

• 127 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:57 PM

Hi Greg,

A few questions, some from curiosity others would be really helpful.

I’ve read about the possibly SkQ1 being useful as eye drops for Macular Degeneration.  Are the MitoQ supplements any use for this since they have some similarities?  A relative has either dry or wet AMD (we’re not sure) and wondering what might help as read nothing can be done medically for the dry condition, at least that’s not a medical trial or if you've already had cataract treatment.

I understand that the SkQ1 ocular formulation is very effective.  MitoQ supplementation will be of benefit but topical formulations will have a more direct and faster positive impact. 

I do have a relative with MS (and also diabetes) who hasn’t worked for over a decade.  I see anecdotally MitoQ may do some good here.  Are there any ways to get this through state medical aid?  As many people with these issues are not too affluent.

I am sorry, I am not sure of the answer to this question. If Medical Aid has the flexibility for supplement funding then I don't see why not. 

Further do you do any sort of questioning of users especially those using MitoQ to study effect.  Obviously wouldn’t quite be a medical study of validation but could be better than forum chat and anecdotes.

We plan to do a survey shortly - watch this space. 

Some of the statements on the blog people said they would take the supplements as long as they last, maybe 30, 50 or more years.  Is that safe to do so?

Absolutely, I intend to take MitoQ for life.  MitoQ addresses two issues that relate the degenerative conditions associated with getting older - cellular energy deficit and oxidative stress.  Oxidative stress is a the very top of a cascade that manifests as inflammation so if we can slow down both oxidative stress damage and inflammatory damage then it is a sensible intervention. 

My curiosity is what potential gains could an athlete see from MitoQ?  Is it a banned substance for professional athletes?  Similarly any studies on its effect on VO2 max? 

We are getting great anecdotal feedback from athletes of greater endurance, better performance and faster recovery with MitoQ. We do not have any specific studies on VO2 max but plan to investigate this. 

Thanks

Hi Quandary, 

Comments embedded above.

Thanks

Greg

#85 mitomutant

• 190 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:07 AM

Hi Greg,

Thanks.

Hi, 

Thanks Greg. I have an appoinment today for a cardiac MRI and a 24h Holter monitoring to rule out any cardiac complication due to my underlying disease which, as you know, are relatively common. I will wait for the results before changing my current supp regimen. Thanks.

After much noise and lots of tests (2 EKG, 2 Echos, Cardiac MRI and a Holter) my heart is not affected by mitochondrial disease. It seems that, due to my non-pathological QT wave shape, it has to be measured by hand, as the EKG machine measurements are not accurate. Machines, machines ...

#86 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:16 AM

Is there any reason to think that this substance would behave very differently from C60-OO, providing additional or novel benefits that the hydrated fullerene does not?

have any c60-oo users tried mitoq, and noticed any effects?

Edited by Adaptogen, 10 July 2014 - 12:19 AM.

• Good Point x 2

#87 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:50 AM

FULL TEXT: Mitochondria-targeted antioxidant (MitoQ) ameliorates age-related arterial endothelial dysfunction in mice

http://jp.physoc.org...ent/592/12/2549

Key points

• The development of age‐related arterial endothelial dysfunction, a key antecedent of increased cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk, is mediated largely by reduced nitric oxide bioavailability as a consequence of oxidative stress.

•  

• Mitochondria are critical signalling organelles in the vasculature, which, when dysregulated, become a source of excessive reactive oxygen species; the role of mitochondria‐derived oxidative stress in age‐related vascular dysfunction is unknown.

•  

• We show that a mitochondria‐targeted antioxidant, MitoQ, ameliorates vascular endothelial dysfunction in old mice and that these improvements are associated with the normalization of mitochondria‐derived oxidative stress and markers of arterial mitochondrial health.

•  

• These results indicate that mitochondria‐derived oxidative stress is an important mechanism underlying the development of age‐related vascular endothelial dysfunction and therefore may be a promising therapeutic target.

•  

• Mitochondria‐targeted antioxidants represent a novel strategy for preserving healthy vascular endothelial function in primary ageing and preventing age‐related CVD in humans.

Abstract

Age‐related arterial endothelial dysfunction, a key antecedent of the development of cardiovascular disease (CVD), is largely caused by a reduction in nitric oxide (NO) bioavailability as a consequence of oxidative stress. Mitochondria are a major source and target of vascular oxidative stress when dysregulated. Mitochondrial dysregulation is associated with primary ageing, but its role in age‐related endothelial dysfunction is unknown. Our aim was to determine the efficacy of a mitochondria‐targeted antioxidant, MitoQ, in ameliorating vascular endothelial dysfunction in old mice. Ex vivo carotid artery endothelium‐dependent dilation (EDD) to increasing doses of acetylcholine was impaired by ∼30% in old (∼27 months) compared with young (∼8 months) mice as a result of reduced NO bioavailability (P < 0.05). Acute (ex vivo) and chronic (4 weeks in drinking water) administration of MitoQ completely restored EDD in older mice by improving NO bioavailability. There were no effects of age or MitoQ on endothelium‐independent dilation to sodium nitroprusside. The improvements in endothelial function with MitoQ supplementation were associated with the normalization of age‐related increases in total and mitochondria‐derived arterial superoxide production and oxidative stress (nitrotyrosine abundance), as well as with increases in markers of vascular mitochondrial health, including antioxidant status. MitoQ also reversed the age‐related increase in endothelial susceptibility to acute mitochondrial damage (rotenone‐induced impairment in EDD). Our results suggest that mitochondria‐derived oxidative stress is an important mechanism underlying the development of endothelial dysfunction in primary ageing. Mitochondria‐targeted antioxidants such as MitoQ represent a promising novel strategy for the preservation of vascular endothelial function with advancing age and the prevention of age‐related CVD.

• Received November 22, 2013.

• Accepted March 19, 2014.

• like x 1

#88 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:56 AM

A few months ago I ordered the 3 bottle special plus the serum +1 bottle combo of MitQ. 

Perhaps you could share your experience with the MitoQ serum in the MitoQ serum thread

#89 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

Re: http://libgen.org/sc...3.268680&open=1

Quote : our results suggest a pivotal role of mitochondria-related signalling and mtROS in modulating endothelial function with age. This possibility is further supported by previous studies showing a life-extending effect of endothelial cell-specific knockout of p66SHC, a signalling protein involved in sensing and regulation of mtROS production (Camici et al. 2007; Gertz & Steegborn, 2010). We observed a marked elevation in phosphorylation of p66SHC, an indication of its activation (Gertz & Steegborn, 2010), in the arteries of old compared with young mice, and this was accompanied by increased vascular mitochondrial superoxide production. MitoQ normalized p66SHC activation and reduced mitochondrial superoxide production, suggesting that an increase in mtROS-mediated vascular oxidative stress may be a key mechanism contributing to the age-related decline in endothelial function.

This is interesting. How would that dosing relate to humans though? The mice certainly received more than the human equivalent of 10 mg !
I hope that someone performs legitimate longevity studies on wild type mice using MitoQ
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#90 NeuroGeneration

• 103 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

Some forms of antioxidants have had negative effects on the body, particularly in regards to hormetic adaptations (i.e., exercise & weight lifting).

Have there been any studies in regards to CoQ10 or MitoQ, and a reduction in hormesis? I'm particularly concerned for two cases:

1. I don't want to risk reduced gains from exercise; I am in very good shape and competitive, and don't want to lose that edge.

2. Some theorize that too many antioxidants can prevent our bodies' natural oxidation systems from being able to kill off cancerous cells.

Would CoQ10, MitoQ or Ubiquinol/PQQ/Shilajit blends run the risk for either scenario 1 or 2? Would cycling be beneficial?

Final question: would MitoQ theoretically be capable of offsetting some of the oxidative damage caused by occasional Adderall usage, as a study aid?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users