Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

mitoQ

• Please log in to reply
351 replies to this topic

#151 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:25 AM

MitoQ isn't fullerene.   I don't think that research crosses over.   In any case, do you have links to the skin cell research for MitoQ?

It's my opinion that MitoQ and at least some fullerene compounds (e.g. c60oo) share the property of being mitochondrial antioxidants.    The beauty market is a nice place to bring out a compound because barriers to entry are low and users are used to paying insane amounts of money for small quantities of cheap chemicals.

Sure, but would you trust a study on skin effects of Vitamin C - another antioxidant - to tell you about the effects of CoQ10?   Antioxidant is too general an umbrella.   Ideally, you would like to see skin research that is specific to CoQ10 or MitoQ.

Mitochondrial antioxidants are a special case.  There aren't that many of them, and they have very unique properties.  Some examples are MitoQ, c60oo, SkQ1, MitoTEMPO, and Szeto-Schiller peptides.

#152 alc

• Validating/Suspended
  • 208 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:10 PM

Mitochondrial antioxidants are a special case.  There aren't that many of them, and they have very unique properties.  Some examples are MitoQ, c60oo, SkQ1, MitoTEMPO, and Szeto-Schiller peptides.

Maybe close to these, could be mentioned Bendavia + Ocuvia by Stealth Peptides/Biotherapeutics:

http://www.stealthbt.com/therapies/

http://www.stealthbt.com/

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#153 mitomutant

• 190 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:24 PM

Maybe close to these, could be mentioned Bendavia + Ocuvia by Stealth Peptides/Biotherapeutics:

Speaking of which, there is a conference call later this week hosted by UMDF[1]. Stealth BioTherapeutics CEO Travis Wilson will explain their strategy for treating mitochondrial myopathies with Bendavia. There should a clinical trial coming in 2015.

If we are also including NCE here, I would add Edison Pharma EPI-743 [2]. I posted the results of a clinical trial some time ago and the results were impressive. As far as I know, EPI-743 could be in the market this year.

[1] http://www.umdf.org/

[2] http://edisonpharma.com/rd/

Edited by mitomutant, 10 February 2015 - 02:25 PM.

#154 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:26 PM

Regarding Bendivia, this is just a Diphosphatidylglycerol?   Why would you prefer to take that supplement over a straight phosphatidylglycerol?

The studies I have seen on other phospholipids like phosphatidylcholine show that it breaks down in digestion and the body rebuilds the phospholipids from the components.  Why would it be any different for Bendivia?

For that matter, why expose yourself to the extra omega-6 fat in a phospholipid?  Just take the head of the phospholipid, with the fatty acid tails stripped out?  For example, glycerophosphocholine is the choline-glycerol-phosphate head of the phosphatidylcholine phospholipid, and you don't get any of the fatty acids in the supplement itself.

Is Ocuvia only available in clinical trials or by prescription?

Edited by pone11, 10 February 2015 - 10:29 PM.

#155 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:53 PM

Regarding Ocuvia, does anyone happen to know the difference between Diabetic Macular Edema - a condition that Ocuvia wants to treat - and cataracts?    To my understanding cataracts is about fluid getting into the iris and not being properly pumped out, so it sounds very similar in concept to the description I am reading for Diabetic Macular Edema.

#156 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:51 AM

Regarding Bendivia, this is just a Diphosphatidylglycerol?   Why would you prefer to take that supplement over a straight phosphatidylglycerol?

The studies I have seen on other phospholipids like phosphatidylcholine show that it breaks down in digestion and the body rebuilds the phospholipids from the components.  Why would it be any different for Bendivia?

For that matter, why expose yourself to the extra omega-6 fat in a phospholipid?  Just take the head of the phospholipid, with the fatty acid tails stripped out?  For example, glycerophosphocholine is the choline-glycerol-phosphate head of the phosphatidylcholine phospholipid, and you don't get any of the fatty acids in the supplement itself.

Bendavia isn't diphospatidylglycerol.  It's a peptide that happens to be a mitochondrial antioxidant.  There's a ton of stuff about it in the literature under the name "SS-31".  Bendavia is named after Carl Benda, the discoverer of mitochondria.

Ocuvia is in the early phases of trials, not yet approved.

#157 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:59 AM

Regarding Ocuvia, does anyone happen to know the difference between Diabetic Macular Edema - a condition that Ocuvia wants to treat - and cataracts?    To my understanding cataracts is about fluid getting into the iris and not being properly pumped out, so it sounds very similar in concept to the description I am reading for Diabetic Macular Edema.

Cataracts are opacities in the lens of the eye, caused by glycation and oxidation of lens proteins.  I think you might be confusing them with glaucoma.

• like x 1

#158 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:31 AM

Bendavia isn't diphospatidylglycerol.  It's a peptide that happens to be a mitochondrial antioxidant.  There's a ton of stuff about it in the literature under the name "SS-31".  Bendavia is named after Carl Benda, the discoverer of mitochondria.

Ocuvia is in the early phases of trials, not yet approved.

Here is a good Bendavia overview:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC4267688/

I initially read that it was supporting cardiolipin and had misread that to be that it *is* cardiolipin.  Sorry about that.

This really reads like a nutrient.  I'm surprised they are making it a pharmaceutical.   Is the structure close enough to an amino acid peptide that someone might develop a similar chemical without violating their patent?

#159 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:40 AM

Cataracts are opacities in the lens of the eye, caused by glycation and oxidation of lens proteins.  I think you might be confusing them with glaucoma.

Subcapsular cataracts are associated with ion pump damage (Na+ > K+) that cause fluid to accumulate into the lens.   I think Diabetic Macular Edema is more about blood leaking out of small capillaries into the retina, so yeah that is very different.

To me it is strange that they are targeting Ocuvia to Diabetic Macular Edema instead of Cataracts, since the ion pump problems in cataracts are often about diabetes and a failure of mitochondrial energy to maintain the cellular pumps.  You would think Cataracts might be an easier target being in an area that is exactly where the eyedrops are placed.

#160 wannabeageless

• 22 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:44 AM

I'm curious if anyone has had unpleasant side effects from taking MitoQ?

I have only taken 5 mg of the supplement per day in the morning and have had noticeably significant effects that I haven't heard anyone mention.  There was definitely a seemingly increase in energy level similar to a stimulant but the effect was uncomfortably powerful with a faster heartbeat for the entire day and great difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep.   The following day, completely wiped out by lunchtime on a normal work day.

What is happening here?

#161 TRUGAN

• 196 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:59 AM

I have only taken 5 mg of the supplement per day in the morning and have had noticeably significant effects that I haven't heard anyone mention.  There was definitely a seemingly increase in energy level similar to a stimulant but the effect was uncomfortably powerful with a faster heartbeat for the entire day and great difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep.   The following day, completely wiped out by lunchtime on a normal work day.

What is happening here?

That seems very strange. I've been taking it for 6 months and have never felt any negative side effects or any effects at all. I have even taken double doses and still its as if I took nothing. Maybe you should try taking only half a dose and see how that goes and if not better then maybe you shouldnt take it or talk to the manufacturer first.

#162 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:09 AM

What is happening here?

Do you have a cooperative physician who would let you order some labs?    What would be interesting would be to go off MitoQ, then test your epinephrine/adrenalin levels.   Take the MitoQ, then wait for the fast heartbeat to develop.   Re-test epinephrine.

The problem is spot measurements of serum epinephrine are not reliable.   The right way to measure is a 24 hour catecholamines urine collection.  Doing the test that way, you would be off the MitoQ until you feel normal.  Then do a 24 hour urine for adrenalin.     Next, take MitoQ and wait for fast heartbeats.   Next morning, take MitoQ again and then do the 24 hour urine again.   When results come back, let's compare the adrenalin levels.    If you see a dramatically higher number on the MitoQ, then I think we have a genuine reportable event.

The key symptom that has me going to this test is the fast heartbeat.   That's classic fight or flight response, and that is the job of adrenals and adrenalin/epinephrine.   Interestingly, this is something most doctors almost never test.   Even an endocrinologist - who specializes in these hormones - can completely miss a person with high persistent adrenalin.

And - here is the interesting thing - I am also having an adrenalin response from something I am taking.   And even after stopping all supplements it seems to be only very slowly getting better.   So I would be personally very interested in having someone else do this experiment.

#163 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:33 AM

What is the half-life of MitoQ?   This study seems to suggest about 1.5 days:

http://www.pnas.org/...100/9/5407.full

If anyone has competing numbers please share.

That study I link has very nice discussion of mitochondrial uptake of MitoQ in different types of tissues.   

• Informative x 1
  • WellResearched x 1
  • like x 1

#164 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:03 AM

I take 10mg, it gives me a very nice lift in powerlevel. Others have noticed that at work. Never felt any bad side-effects. Possible some less sleep, but I was OK with waking up.

Nice find Pone

#165 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:11 PM

I take 10mg, it gives me a very nice lift in powerlevel. Others have noticed that at work. Never felt any bad side-effects. Possible some less sleep, but I was OK with waking up.

Nice find Pone

Could it be that MitoQ not only restores the electron transport chain (ETC) complexes 1 and 3 in tissues that are not fully saturated with CoQ10?  Could it be that in addition to restoring the ETC, MitoQ is actually stimulating the ETC and making it more energetic?   That is pure hypothesis, but if the theory is correct then the question becomes how much additional energy do different types of tissue get?    Is it possible that MitoQ is stimulating adrenals or other tissues to autonomously secrete additional adrenalin / epinephrine, and that is what people are feeling as extra energy?

Fortunately, this is a trivial experiment to do.    Get your 24 hour urine measurement for epinephrine while you have withdrawn MitoQ for a few weeks.   Establish the baseline.  Go on MitoQ for a few days at your full dose, then repeat the 24 hour urine.   

Some possible outcomes of that experiment if done by enough people:

* No one sees any change in adrenalin levels

* Everyone sees a change in adrenalin levels, but only some people experience negative symptoms from that (e.g., fast heartbeats, higher blood glucose both fasting and postprandial, and higher blood pressures)

* Some of us see higher adrenalin and others do not

It is possible that a rise in adrenalin will only be seen in some individuals, as there might be genetic issues.  There might also be huge individual variability in dose that can be tolerated.   Maybe an individual who sees the rise in adrenalin with 5 mg MitoQ gets no adrenalin rise at all on 1 mg.

Again, all hypothesis, but I'm trying to provide a clear experimental path that any person with a cooperative physician can do to answer the question.   And I find it interesting that two of us are having fast heartbeats very close to the time we take MitoQ.  It's a suspicious symptom suggesting adrenalin is up.    

Does anyone know if they measured epinephrine levels in any of the MitoQ mouse studies?

Edited by pone11, 02 March 2015 - 07:21 PM.

#166 Decimus

• 100 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:50 PM

Doesn't look like this has been posted.

MitoQ shown to "significantly" extend life (in C. elegans). Effects are highly dose dependent. It works by strengthening mitocondria membranes and not by the method originally suspected.

http://www.sciencedi...891584914001099

#167 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:09 AM

MitoQ shown to "significantly" extend life (in C. elegans). Effects are highly dose dependent. It works by strengthening mitocondria membranes and not by the method originally suspected.

Thanks, Decimus.  The life extension effects were surprisingly small.  This was, however, a transgenic Alzheimer's model worm.  It would have been interesting to see what it did in healthy worms.  The effects of MitoQ on the worms' healthspan was somewhat better.  This paper not only addresses MitoQ MoA, but suggests that mitochondrial antioxidants in general could be useful in AD.

• Informative x 1

#168 Decimus

• 100 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:56 AM

Hi Niner.  I did see that the worms were transgenic.  However, it is a model for Alzheimer's.  I don't know if that would necessarily negate the lifespan results, however insignificant or "significant" they might be.  

#169 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:10 AM

Does anyone have any ideas what would be the amount of MitoQ taken each day in a human that corresponds to the 1 and 5 uM doses in mice used in this study?

The lifespan results were not impressive, and the datapoint that really ruins it for me is the dTPP cation that at a very very low dose (0.1 uM) had a huge increase in lifespan (one of the largest of the study).   dTPP at higher doses then produces worse results and not even significant statistically.   See Table 1.   It really looks like they didn't control all of their variables in those results.  Further spoiling the result is the report that in wild organisms - not transgenic ones - there is no change in lifespan.

The healthspan results look great.

Regarding the reason for the effects seen, honestly the study doesn't seem to offer a real explanation except for explaining effects that they observed.  I am not sure what you mean by "strengthening mitochondrial membranes" but the standout points for me were:

* MitoQ protected cardiolipin on the mitochondrial membrane, but it is not clear what the significance of that is

* MitoQ upregulated Complex IV activity, which directly fights Alzheimer plaques that tend to downregulate Complex IV.      The effect at Complex I is different.  Complex I they see the maximum *potential* increase, but the actual activity without stimulation appears to remain unchanged.   What I do not understand is how do they upregulate Complex IV without forcing upregulation of the total flow through the ETC?   They did not see increased ATP production or increased superoxide, so total throughput through the ETC does not appear to be altered.

An opportunity I think they missed here would be to force higher levels of activity of a living organism and see if the MitoQ affected either total energy output from the ETC (i.e., ATP produced) or decreased the amount of superoxide measured during strenuous aerobic metabolism.   It's not so interesting to report an increase in *potential* capacity of Complex I but not explore what happens when you try to use that extra capacity in vivo.

Edited by pone11, 03 March 2015 - 08:19 AM.

#170 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:12 AM

Did not see this posted :)

MitoQ modulates oxidative stress and decreases inflammation following hemorrhage.
(PMID:25710429)
From the FH "Sammy" Ross Trauma Center (R.D.P., J.H.S., K.L.K., T.T.H., I.H.M., S.L.E.), Department of Surgery, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, North Carolina; and MRC Mitochondrial Biology Unit (M.P.M.), Wellcome Trust, Cambridge, United Kingdom.
Type: Journal Article
DOI: 10.1097/TA.0000000000000533 qmark.png
Abstract Highlight Terms qmark.png
Gene Ontology(1) Diseases(1) Genes/Proteins(6) Species(1) Chemicals(4)
BACKGROUND: Oxidative stress associated with hemorrhagic shock and reperfusion (HSR) results in the production of superoxide radicals and other reactive oxygen species, leading to cell damage and multiple-organ dysfunction. We sought to determine if MitoQ, a mitochondria-targeted antioxidant, reduces morbidity in a rat model of HSR by limiting oxidative stress.

METHODS: HSR was achieved in male rats by arterial blood withdrawal to a mean arterial pressure of 25 ± 2 mm Hg for 1 hour before resuscitation. MitoQ (5 mg/kg), TPP (triphenylphosphonium, 5 mg/kg) or saline (0.9% vol./vol.) was administered intravenously 30 minutes before resuscitation, followed by an intraperitoneal administration (MitoQ, 20 mg/kg) immediately after resuscitation (n = 5 per group). Morbidity was assessed based on cumulative markers of animal distress (0-10 scale). Rats were sacrificed 2 hours after procedure completion, and liver tissue was collected and processed for histology or assayed for lipid peroxidation (thiobarbituric acid reactive substance [TBARS]) or endogenous antioxidant (catalase, glutathione peroxidase [GPx], and superoxide dismutase) activity.

RESULTS: HSR significantly increased morbidity as well as TBARS and catalase activities versus sham. Conversely, no difference in GPx or superoxide dismutase activity was measured between sham, HSR, and TPP, MitoQ administration reduced morbidity versus HSR (5.8 ± 0.3 vs. 7.6 ± 0.3; p < 0.05), while TPP administration significantly reduced hepatic necrosis versus both HSR and HSR-MitoQ (1.2 ± 0.1 vs. 2.0 ± 0.2 vs. 1.9 ± 0.2; p < 0.05, n = 5). Analysis of oxidative stress demonstrated increased TBARS and GPx in HSR-MitoQ versus sham (12.0 ± 1.1 μM vs. 6.2 ± 0.5 μM and 37.9 ± 3.0 μmol/min/mL vs. 22.9 ± 2.7 μmol/min/mL, TBARS and GPx, respectively, n = 5; p < 0.05). Conversely, catalase activity in HSR-MitoQ was reduced versus HSR (1.96 ± 1.17 mol/min/mL vs. 2.58 ± 1.81 mol/min/mL; n = 5; p < 0.05). Finally, MitoQ treatment decreased tumor necrosis factor α (0.66 ± 0.07 pg/mL vs. 0.92 ± 0.08 pg/mL) and interleukin 6 (7.3 ± 0.8 pg/mL vs. 11 ± 0.9 pg/mL) versus HSR as did TPP alone (0.58 ± 0.05 pg/mL vs. 0.92 ± 0.08 pg/mL; 6.7 ± 0.6 pg/mL vs. 11 ± 0.9 pg/mL; n = 5; p < 0.05).

CONCLUSION: Our data demonstrate that MitoQ treatment following hemorrhage significantly limits morbidity and decreases hepatic tumor necrosis factor α and interleukin 6. In addition, MitoQ differentially modulates oxidative stress and hepatic antioxidant activity.

http://europepmc.org...ct/med/25710429

#171 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:57 PM

It's kind of weird that TPP is better than MitoQ in some of these metrics.  While the improvement due to MitoQ in some (but not all) metrics was statistically significant, it wasn't spectacular, and these ratties were getting pretty giant doses of MitoQ, a total of 25mg/kg.

• Good Point x 1

#172 TRUGAN

• 196 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:26 AM

Has anyone tried MitoQ in the 40mg range or higher?

#173 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:53 AM

Never more than 20mgs/day. That gave me a good boost. Some people say MitoQ could be a pro-oxidant in some settings. Here is V Skulachevs comment on MitoQ:

Vladimir Skulachev on

January 24, 2014 at 11:35 pmsaid:

(1) MitoQ cannot be regarded as a mitochondria-targeted form CoQ or CoQ precursor since it cannot replace CoQ in its master function, i.e. as a respiratory chain electron carrier. MitoQ can be reduced to MitoQH2 by the initial respiratory chain complexes I and II but MitoQH2 is very slowly oxidized by the next respiratory chain complex III. Moreover, MitoQ cannot be decomposed in a way resulting in CoQ release. This is why MitoQ can hardly help when CoQ level is lowered by aging or statin. As to another function of CoQ as an antioxidant, MitoQ is not the best one since the window between anti- and prooxidant concentrations of MitoQ is as small as several times. For SkQ (a MitoQ analog with plastoquinone instead of CoQ), this window is much larger (30 or even 1 000 times, depending on the method of measurement of this parameter). This is why plants use plastoquinone in chloroplasts (the O2-producing organelles) and CoQ in mitochondria (the O2-consuming organelles where the O2 level and hence, the oxidative stress, is always much lower than in chloroplasts).

(2) P3, para 2: ”The same molecule that is known as MitoQ in the English-speaking word is called SkQ in Russia”. It is not the case. As I already mentioned in (1), MitoQ and SkQ are different molecules. As antioxidant, SkQ is much better.
[Note – this has been corrected in the text above – JJM]

(3) P.4, the last para: “Scientists at MitoQ disagree that plastoquinone is better [antioxidants]”. In fact, there is an agreement among organic chemists that plastoquinone is several folds stronger antioxidant than CoQ [1-3].In biological experiments, our group is still the only lab in the world where MitoQ and SkQ were compared in one and the same experiment and it was found that the difference between two compounds is even much larger than in chemical test systems. This may be due to that SkQH2 is oxidized both chemically (by O2) and biochemically (by complex III) slower than MitoQH2, resulting in higher steady state level of reduced form of the antioxidant in the case of SkQ than that of MitoQ.

(4) P.2, the last para. Our contribution to the field was not limited by the first attempt to use substituted triphenylphosphonium cation (TPP) to target something useful to mitochondria but also by elucidation of the driving force for such a targeting. Using our penetration ions (called by David Green a Skulachev ions or Sk+ [4]) we described “the mitochondrial electricity”, i.e. electric potential difference between mitochondrion and cytosol (mitochondrial interior negative), which is generated by respiration and can be used for electrophoretic accumulation of any penetrating cations or of compounds conjugated with these ions [5-7]. The role of a penetrating cation in such a targeting was defined as that of “electric locomotive” [7] which seems, I am sorry, better that your “tugboat” since it indicates electrical nature of the driving force. The great contribution of M. Murphy and his colleagues [8] consisted in an attempt to use an antioxidant as a cargo.

(5) P.4, para 1. “The original papers behind this work are available is Russian”. In fact, in Russian and English. Biochemistry (Mosc.) is published in two languages. [Corrected in the text above – JJM]

(6) P.4, para 2. Dr. Skulachev reports that he personally has improved his vision using SkQ eye props”. These drops are available in Russian drugstore since July 2012. More than 100,000 vials are already sold. Not a single complaint was received by drugstores. In Moscow clinical trials of the drops as a medicine against the Dry eye syndrome, an age-related incurable disease carried out. They proved to be were very positive. Now we obtained FDA permission for clinical trials of SkQ in the U.S.A. The trials will start in February. Our pre-clinical trials on mice were sufficiently repeated by Ora laboratories (Endower, U.S.A.).

Best regards,
Vladi

References:
1. Kruk, J., Jemiola-Rzeminska, M. & Strzalka, K. (1997) Plastoquinol and alpha-tocopherol quinol are more active than ubiquinol and alpha-tocopherol in inhibition of lipid peroxidation, Chemistry and physics of lipids. 87, 73-80.
2. Roginsky, V., Barsukova, T., Loshadkin, D. & Pliss, E. (2003) Substituted p-hydroquinones as inhibitors of lipid peroxidation, Chemistry and physics of lipids. 125, 49-58.
3. Antonenko, Y. N., Avetisyan, A. V., Bakeeva, L. E., Chernyak, B. V., Chertkov, V. A., Domnina, L. V., Ivanova, O. Y., Izyumov, D. S., Khailova, L. S., Klishin, S. S., Korshunova, G. A., Lyamzaev, K. G., Muntyan, M. S., Nepryakhina, O. K., Pashkovskaya, A. A., Pletjushkina, O. Y., Pustovidko, A. V., Roginsky, V. A., Rokitskaya, T. I., Ruuge, E. K., Saprunova, V. B., Severina, I. I., Simonyan, R. A., Skulachev, I. V., Skulachev, M. V., Sumbatyan, N. V., Sviryaeva, I. V., Tashlitsky, V. N., Vassiliev, J. M., Vyssokikh, M. Y., Yaguzhinsky, L. S., Zamyatnin, A. A., Jr. & Skulachev, V. P. (2008) Mitochondria-targeted plastoquinone derivatives as tools to interrupt execution of the aging program. 1. Cationic plastoquinone derivatives: synthesis and in vitro studies, Biochemistry (Moscow). 73, 1273-87.
4. Green, D. E. (1974) The electromechanochemical model for energy coupling in mitochondria, Biochimica et biophysica acta. 346, 27-78.
5. Liberman, E. A., Topaly, V. P., Tsofina, L. M., Jasaitis, A. A. & Skulachev, V. P. (1969) Mechanism of coupling of oxidative phosphorylation and the membrane potential of mitochondria, Nature. 222, 1076-8.
6. Liberman, E. A. & Skulachev, V. P. (1970) Conversion of biomembrane-produced energy into electric form. IV. General discussion, Biochimica et biophysica acta. 216, 30-42.
7. Skulachev, V. P. (1988) Membrane bioenergetics, Springer-Verlag, Berlin ; New York.
8. Burns, R. J., Smith, R. A. & Murphy, M. P. (1995) Synthesis and characterization of thiobutyltriphenylphosphonium bromide, a novel thiol reagent targeted to the mitochondrial matrix, Archives of biochemistry and biophysics. 322, 60-8.
9. Skulachev, V. P., Bogachev, A. V. & Kasparinsky, F. O. (2013) Principles of Bioenergetics, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.

#174 TRUGAN

• 196 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:10 AM

Did the increase to 20 mg have a noticible effect immediately? Or so many days after?

#175 SearchingForAnswers

• 213 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:09 AM

Can somebody please clarify this for me?

Is SkQ1 the same, as in identical, to MitoQ? Or can someone please point me to a link explaining the differences if not?

Thanks in advance. I'm in Afghanistan and have very limited bandwidth at the time - each page click can take up to a minute. Makes for slow research!

:mellow:

• Cheerful x 1

#176 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:37 PM

Is SkQ1 the same, as in identical, to MitoQ? Or can someone please point me to a link explaining the differences if not?

Thanks in advance. I'm in Afghanistan and have very limited bandwidth at the time - each page click can take up to a minute. Makes for slow research!

They are different.  They have the same positively charged hydrophobic group that attracts them to mitochondria, but different antioxidant groups.  MitoQ has the same quinone group found in CoQ10, while SkQ1 has a plastoquinone.  SkQ1 is said to have a wider range of concentration between minimal activity and the onset of being a pro-oxidant.

From Skulachev himself, taken from a post above:

there is an agreement among organic chemists that plastoquinone is several folds stronger antioxidant than CoQ [1-3].In biological experiments, our group is still the only lab in the world where MitoQ and SkQ were compared in one and the same experiment and it was found that the difference between two compounds is even much larger than in chemical test systems. This may be due to that SkQH2 is oxidized both chemically (by O2) and biochemically (by complex III) slower than MitoQH2, resulting in higher steady state level of reduced form of the antioxidant in the case of SkQ than that of MitoQ.

Edited by niner, 10 March 2015 - 12:41 PM.

#177 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:38 PM

They are different.  They have the same positively charged hydrophobic group that attracts them to mitochondria, but different antioxidant groups.  MitoQ has the same quinone group found in CoQ10, while SkQ1 has a plastoquinone.  SkQ1 is said to have a wider range of concentration between minimal activity and the onset of being a pro-oxidant.

Can someone discuss what are the practical implications of MitoQ being overdosed and becoming a "pro-oxidant"?   This is not an angle I have heard described before.    Are there any studies that document dosing that became pro-oxidant, and what were the metabolic signs of this state in the experiment?

As a practical matter, if MitoQ has a narrow dosing range of benefit, how are humans supposed to determine the optimal dosing?

Separately, because MitoQ cannot become CoQ, the implication appears to be that one should continue to take CoQ10 even if you are taking MitoQ, because in theory CoQ10 - in spite of its poor absorption - will perform functions that MitoQ cannot.   This applies more to people with statin damage or age-related CoQ10 deficiency.

Edited by pone11, 10 March 2015 - 07:40 PM.

#178 gregmacpherson

• 127 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:07 AM

Never more than 20mgs/day. That gave me a good boost. Some people say MitoQ could be a pro-oxidant in some settings. Here is V Skulachevs comment on MitoQ:

Vladimir Skulachev on

(1) MitoQ cannot be regarded as a mitochondria-targeted form CoQ or CoQ precursor since it cannot replace CoQ in its master function, i.e. as a respiratory chain electron carrier. MitoQ can be reduced to MitoQH2 by the initial respiratory chain complexes I and II but MitoQH2 is very slowly oxidized by the next respiratory chain complex III. Moreover, MitoQ cannot be decomposed in a way resulting in CoQ release. This is why MitoQ can hardly help when CoQ level is lowered by aging or statin. As to another function of CoQ as an antioxidant, MitoQ is not the best one since the window between anti- and prooxidant concentrations of MitoQ is as small as several times. For SkQ (a MitoQ analog with plastoquinone instead of CoQ), this window is much larger (30 or even 1 000 times, depending on the method of measurement of this parameter). This is why plants use plastoquinone in chloroplasts (the O2-producing organelles) and CoQ in mitochondria (the O2-consuming organelles where the O2 level and hence, the oxidative stress, is always much lower than in chloroplasts).

(2) P3, para 2: ”The same molecule that is known as MitoQ in the English-speaking word is called SkQ in Russia”. It is not the case. As I already mentioned in (1), MitoQ and SkQ are different molecules. As antioxidant, SkQ is much better.

(3) P.4, the last para: “Scientists at MitoQ disagree that plastoquinone is better [antioxidants]”. In fact, there is an agreement among organic chemists that plastoquinone is several folds stronger antioxidant than CoQ [1-3].In biological experiments, our group is still the only lab in the world where MitoQ and SkQ were compared in one and the same experiment and it was found that the difference between two compounds is even much larger than in chemical test systems. This may be due to that SkQH2 is oxidized both chemically (by O2) and biochemically (by complex III) slower than MitoQH2, resulting in higher steady state level of reduced form of the antioxidant in the case of SkQ than that of MitoQ.

(4) P.2, the last para. Our contribution to the field was not limited by the first attempt to use substituted triphenylphosphonium cation (TPP) to target something useful to mitochondria but also by elucidation of the driving force for such a targeting. Using our penetration ions (called by David Green a Skulachev ions or Sk+ [4]) we described “the mitochondrial electricity”, i.e. electric potential difference between mitochondrion and cytosol (mitochondrial interior negative), which is generated by respiration and can be used for electrophoretic accumulation of any penetrating cations or of compounds conjugated with these ions [5-7]. The role of a penetrating cation in such a targeting was defined as that of “electric locomotive” [7] which seems, I am sorry, better that your “tugboat” since it indicates electrical nature of the driving force. The great contribution of M. Murphy and his colleagues [8] consisted in an attempt to use an antioxidant as a cargo.

(5) P.4, para 1. “The original papers behind this work are available is Russian”. In fact, in Russian and English. Biochemistry (Mosc.) is published in two languages. [Corrected in the text above – JJM]

(6) P.4, para 2. Dr. Skulachev reports that he personally has improved his vision using SkQ eye props”. These drops are available in Russian drugstore since July 2012. More than 100,000 vials are already sold. Not a single complaint was received by drugstores. In Moscow clinical trials of the drops as a medicine against the Dry eye syndrome, an age-related incurable disease carried out. They proved to be were very positive. Now we obtained FDA permission for clinical trials of SkQ in the U.S.A. The trials will start in February. Our pre-clinical trials on mice were sufficiently repeated by Ora laboratories (Endower, U.S.A.).

Best regards,
Vladi

References:
1. Kruk, J., Jemiola-Rzeminska, M. & Strzalka, K. (1997) Plastoquinol and alpha-tocopherol quinol are more active than ubiquinol and alpha-tocopherol in inhibition of lipid peroxidation, Chemistry and physics of lipids. 87, 73-80.
2. Roginsky, V., Barsukova, T., Loshadkin, D. & Pliss, E. (2003) Substituted p-hydroquinones as inhibitors of lipid peroxidation, Chemistry and physics of lipids. 125, 49-58.
3. Antonenko, Y. N., Avetisyan, A. V., Bakeeva, L. E., Chernyak, B. V., Chertkov, V. A., Domnina, L. V., Ivanova, O. Y., Izyumov, D. S., Khailova, L. S., Klishin, S. S., Korshunova, G. A., Lyamzaev, K. G., Muntyan, M. S., Nepryakhina, O. K., Pashkovskaya, A. A., Pletjushkina, O. Y., Pustovidko, A. V., Roginsky, V. A., Rokitskaya, T. I., Ruuge, E. K., Saprunova, V. B., Severina, I. I., Simonyan, R. A., Skulachev, I. V., Skulachev, M. V., Sumbatyan, N. V., Sviryaeva, I. V., Tashlitsky, V. N., Vassiliev, J. M., Vyssokikh, M. Y., Yaguzhinsky, L. S., Zamyatnin, A. A., Jr. & Skulachev, V. P. (2008) Mitochondria-targeted plastoquinone derivatives as tools to interrupt execution of the aging program. 1. Cationic plastoquinone derivatives: synthesis and in vitro studies, Biochemistry (Moscow). 73, 1273-87.
4. Green, D. E. (1974) The electromechanochemical model for energy coupling in mitochondria, Biochimica et biophysica acta. 346, 27-78.
5. Liberman, E. A., Topaly, V. P., Tsofina, L. M., Jasaitis, A. A. & Skulachev, V. P. (1969) Mechanism of coupling of oxidative phosphorylation and the membrane potential of mitochondria, Nature. 222, 1076-8.
6. Liberman, E. A. & Skulachev, V. P. (1970) Conversion of biomembrane-produced energy into electric form. IV. General discussion, Biochimica et biophysica acta. 216, 30-42.
7. Skulachev, V. P. (1988) Membrane bioenergetics, Springer-Verlag, Berlin ; New York.
8. Burns, R. J., Smith, R. A. & Murphy, M. P. (1995) Synthesis and characterization of thiobutyltriphenylphosphonium bromide, a novel thiol reagent targeted to the mitochondrial matrix, Archives of biochemistry and biophysics. 322, 60-8.
9. Skulachev, V. P., Bogachev, A. V. & Kasparinsky, F. O. (2013) Principles of Bioenergetics, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.

Hi All, apologies for the long silence ... things are quite busy in the office at MitoQ. 

There are a few inaccuracies in Skulachev's comments above which are disappointing as he knows our science particularly well.  

MitoQ is the mitochondria-targeted version of our own CoQ10. This is compared to SKQ1 which is a plastoquinone - the plant version of CoQ10. 

MitoQ's primary effect is optimal delivery of the "Q" anti-oxidant moiety into the mitochondria where it sits in the membrane and protects against membrane peroxidation. This protective effect is supportive of optimal mitochondrial function including the OxPhos process. The cellular benefit of MitoQ in terms of reduced oxidative stress and increased energy availability is well documented across many models of diseases - please visit pubmed.com and search for MitoQ to validate that. 

Any concerns about pro-oxidant effect are a red herring ... it has not been observed in vivo and this has been studied extensively to Phase II human trials at doses as high as 80mg for a year.  

Statins certainly decrease CoQ10 levels by inhibiting synthesis but CoQ10 supplementation does not deliver CoQ10 into the mitochondria in significant levels.  MitoQ will support those on Statins by improving antioxidant capacity in the mitochondria far beyond regular CoQ10 supplementation. There may be additional benefit in taking both MitoQ and CoQ10 as MitoQ shifts very quickly into the mitochondria and there is some utility in having CoQ10 in the cytoplasm. 

You can't compare oxidative stress in plants to animals - last time I looked they were quite different biological systems!! 

Thanks

Greg

• Informative x 1

#179 TRUGAN

• 196 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:20 AM

Vladimir Skulachev on

Best regards,
Vladi

References:

Hi All, apologies for the long silence ... things are quite busy in the office at MitoQ. 

There are a few inaccuracies in Skulachev's comments above which are disappointing as he knows our science particularly well.  

MitoQ is the mitochondria-targeted version of our own CoQ10. This is compared to SKQ1 which is a plastoquinone - the plant version of CoQ10. 

MitoQ's primary effect is optimal delivery of the "Q" anti-oxidant moiety into the mitochondria where it sits in the membrane and protects against membrane peroxidation. This protective effect is supportive of optimal mitochondrial function including the OxPhos process. The cellular benefit of MitoQ in terms of reduced oxidative stress and increased energy availability is well documented across many models of diseases - please visit pubmed.com and search for MitoQ to validate that. 

Any concerns about pro-oxidant effect are a red herring ... it has not been observed in vivo and this has been studied extensively to Phase II human trials at doses as high as 80mg for a year.  

Statins certainly decrease CoQ10 levels by inhibiting synthesis but CoQ10 supplementation does not deliver CoQ10 into the mitochondria in significant levels.  MitoQ will support those on Statins by improving antioxidant capacity in the mitochondria far beyond regular CoQ10 supplementation. There may be additional benefit in taking both MitoQ and CoQ10 as MitoQ shifts very quickly into the mitochondria and there is some utility in having CoQ10 in the cytoplasm. 

You can't compare oxidative stress in plants to animals - last time I looked they were quite different biological systems!! 

Thanks

Greg

Greg...Do you think MitoQ will ever be affordable in the 40mg to 80mg range for those wishing to treat or prevent disease. Im not sure if 5 or 10 mg is enough for aging folks.

• Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#180 gregmacpherson

• 127 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:47 AM

Vladimir Skulachev on

Best regards,
Vladi

References:

Thanks

Greg

Greg...Do you think MitoQ will ever be affordable in the 40mg to 80mg range for those wishing to treat or prevent disease. Im not sure if 5 or 10 mg is enough for aging folks.

A good question ... the short answer is yes.  I just can't go into the detail of that right now. 

I would take 10 to 20mg in the interim. 

Thanks. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users