Photo

My doctor says I have MTHFR gene defect

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 david ellis

• 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:38 AM

My doctor told me that because I had a low level of histidine(Essential Amino Acid) in my blood that I have folic acid deficiency, the MTHFR gene defect. I am wondering if that is really true because I also have a high histamine level according to my urine neurotransmitter test. I think I have a relatively low histidine blood level because I am making lots of histamine. I don't have the background, I am an accountant, to be confident that I really don't have the MTHFR gene. But I am thinking that the MTHFR deficiency leads to catabolism of histidine resulting in both low histidine and low histamine. What is really happening? Thanks for your help.

#2 jazzcat

• 139 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:04 AM

MTHFr = histadelia = undermethylation.

You have high histamine levels because you undermethylate. 5MTHF helps because it is a methyl donor (and the active, methylated form of folate). If you supplement methyl donors then your faulty methylation improves.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 david ellis

• Topic Starter
  • 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:11 PM

MTHFr = histadelia = undermethylation.

You have high histamine levels because you undermethylate. 5MTHF helps because it is a methyl donor (and the active, methylated form of folate). If you supplement methyl donors then your faulty methylation improves.

Thanks, its good to know that my money and time on methyl folate and cobalmin isn't a waste.

#4 SearchingForAnswers

• 213 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:10 PM

How's this been working out for you? I suspect I have this issue, just ordered the 23andme test so I can find out.

#5 david ellis

• Topic Starter
  • 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:52 PM

How's this been working out for you? I suspect I have this issue, just ordered the 23andme test so I can find out.

23andme is worth the money.   New members, however, will not get advice on MTHFR until the FDA agrees 23andme's advice meets FDA standards.    As I remember, there was no advice on the gene, except for expectant mothers.  I think a lot of the info on MTHFR is speculation.   I read very detailed stuff, but don't remember links to published studies.

#6 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:23 AM

You can download your raw data from 23andme, and upload it to Promethease (promethease.com) and they will tell you if you have the MTHFR polymorphism.  Besides taking 5-MTHF, avoiding folic acid helps.  Foods are so overloaded with Folic acid that if you cannot rapidly metabolize it the levels build up in your blood.  Virtually all baked goods, except for some organic products, are "fortified" with folic acid.   I wonder if the reason so many people feel better on a gluten-free diet, despite testing negative for the genes for gluten intolerance, is because they are reducing their load of folic acid? 

• Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 SearchingForAnswers

• 213 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

I've just received Thorne Research's basic b complex, as well as additional methylfolate / methylcobalamin / adenosocobalamin / sam-e / potassium, etc.. I took the thorn research and an additional Jarrow methylfolate today, we'll see how that works. Haven't received everything yet.

I know that SAM-E can definitely improve my mood; worked for many months until it just made me feel completely whacked. I believe it may have been an imbalance of b-vitamins, or something. I took about 1.2 - 1.8 grams a day, it was wonderful. So hopefully I can recapture that.

The symptoms I have begun experiencing (yet again, Dr's seem to dismiss it all) seem to be similar to low potassium. Comes and goes, I can get so tired I find it difficult to stand up. Yes, I can still go outside an run when I feel normal. I also used to get severe depression when it happened, however a course of NSI-189 has so far taken care of that portion of it. So I definitely believe I've got something else going on.

Edited by SearchingForAnswers, 30 August 2014 - 10:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users