Onion juice triples testosterone levels

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 NeuroGuy

• 121 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:55 PM

http://www.ergo-log....onionjuice.html

Onion juice triples testosterone levels

Think of a dirt-cheap vegetable you can buy at every greengrocers and supermarket. Put it in a juicer, give the juice to rats for three weeks, and watch their testosterone level rise by 314 percent. According to research done at Tabriz University in Iran, fresh onion juice raises testosterone levels as much as substances like nolvadex or clomid.

In Iran many men who have fertility problems can’t afford to buy medicine. That’s why Iranian researchers are looking for alternatives to medicines like NAC and selenium. Studies show that antioxidants can increase production of testosterone and sperm in the testes. Studies have also shown that onions contain strong antioxidants. So the researchers put two and two together and bought ordinary onions – Latin name Allium cepa – on the market. They peeled the onions and put them in a domestic juicer made by Tefal. The juice they got is what they used in their trials.

Their subjects were a group of 8-week-old male rats. Of these, 10 were given ordinary food for 20 days. [Control] Ten other rats got 0.5 g per kg bodyweight of onion juice, which was pumped into their stomachs using a tube. Another 10 rats were given the same treatment, but got 1 g/kg bodyweight/day.

The table below shows that after 20 days the onion juice had improved the sperm quality and increased the concentration of LH, FSH and testosterone in the rats’ blood.

(table didnt load)

Malondialdehyde is a mutagenic substance that is produced when free radicals damage the unsaturated fatty acids in cell membranes. The reduction in malondialdehyde concentrations that the researchers found indicates how the onion juice increases testosterone production: antioxidants in onion juice neutralise free radicals in the testes. The researchers suspect that the antioxidants in question are probably selenium compounds found in onions, and phenols such as quercetin and isorhamnetin [structural formulae shown above]. Isorhamnetin is also made in the body when enzymes convert quercetine with the help of S-adenosylmethionine. The Iranian findings are not completely new. As long ago as 1967 an Egyptian researcher discovered that the testes of lab animals fed raw onion juice increase in size. At the moment there are quite a few animal studies which report that high doses of polyphenols like quercetin have a positive effect on the testes. But the effect of these is not as big as that of plain onion juice.

Source:
Folia Morphol (Warsz). 2009 Feb; 68(1): 45-51.

• Informative x 1
  • WellResearched x 1
  • Agree x 1

#2 caruga

• 514 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:57 AM

Now if only I could man up enough to eat onions...
  • like x 3
  • Cheerful x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 russianBEAR

• 432 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:08 AM

Well I dunno if it's the same thing as just having some fried onions with your favorite dish you're cooking, but that might explain why I'm tryin to eat some lightly fried onion with everything. :)

What's the difference between just fresh onion juice concentrate and consuming it as part of a dish ? 

#4 N.T.M.

• 640 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:45 AM

Very interesting. I totally didn't know that. =/

#5 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:54 AM

Traditional Chinese tonic:

slice or chop a raw onion
place in a jar and add a spoonful of sugar
cover, shake, let sit several hours or overnight
drink the juice

The sugar draws out the juice from the onion. It does help coughs and colds, and is reputed to be a healthful tonic for old men.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1
  • Needs references x 1
  • Informative x 1

#6 ben951

• 111 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:26 PM

It must be a Chinese torture to have your testosterone through the roof and repel any woman with bad onion breath. :)

Edited by ben951, 10 March 2010 - 02:29 PM.

• like x 2
  • Needs references x 2
  • Good Point x 2
  • Cheerful x 1
  • Agree x 1

#7 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:36 PM

It must be a Chinese torture to have your testosterone through the roof and repel any woman with bad onion breath. :)

No onion breath. The extraction leaves that factor in the onion.
  • like x 2
  • Needs references x 2
  • dislike x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#8 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:44 PM

I think anyone man enough to drink ~35-70 grams of onion juice for 20 days should get a big testosterone boost. :) At least the rats had it put directly into their stomach w/ a gavage tube......

Edited by malbecman, 10 March 2010 - 05:44 PM.

#9 KimberCT

• 472 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:17 PM

I wonder if an equivalent amount of bulk onion granules would have the same effect.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#10 zorba990

• 1,602 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:18 AM

I wonder if an equivalent amount of bulk onion granules would have the same effect.

I guess I'll see Super Organic Onion Ginger Syrup on the shelves of life extension foundation soon.
  • like x 1

#11 sparkk51

• 418 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:55 AM

So, has anyone actually tried this?

#12 Bluenoise

• 52 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:25 AM

I doubt anyone brave enough to actually dry drinking onion juice really needs more testosterone. :P
  • like x 3
  • Cheerful x 2
  • Agree x 1

#13 sparkk51

• 418 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:07 PM

I doubt anyone brave enough to actually dry drinking onion juice really needs more testosterone. :P

Yeah...

Edited by sparkk51, 09 January 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#14 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

Here I sit in the moonlight
Avoided by women and men
Saying over and over
I'll never eat onions again!

• like x 3
  • dislike x 1
  • Informative x 1

#15 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,055 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:25 PM

Ditto. Any human data on onion juice. If it worked to substantially raise testosterone, you would think every male professional athlete and bodybuilder would be using it. The extract would be on store shelves already. John McCain would already be holding Senate hearings in order to make sure no one ever beats the MLB home run record.
  • Good Point x 2

#16 sparkk51

• 418 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:24 AM

I hate onions with a passion, but if this is as promising as the article holds, I would definitely attempt the extract.

#17 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

I have heard that a diet rich in onions helps (male) libido, so there is some foundation about that.
But onion's breath :ph34r:

#18 Luminiferous

• 37 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

Old thread. But I am going to try this out. It's not that I'm brave, it's just that I'm so isolated that no one will be able to smell me hahahaha.

But while we are on the topic, is there a way to minimize the smell without getting rid of its effects? Cause for example, we can get rid of garlic breath faster by a few tricks such as:
-eating a bit of mustard
-mint tea with cloves and cardamom
-eating yogurt

There are many other ways to get rid of the smell faster, but obviously it's only faster... heh
But one thing we need to take in account is that our method should not interfere with the effects of onion juice. For example, if we take tea (phytic acid) after the onion juice, it might eliminate the testosteron boost.

Also lets keep in mind that the smell of the sweat is killing when we take onions! So gums won't work!
Lets do this!!!!! I'll let u guys know what happens.

#19 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

Are you going to get your test levels checked before and after?
  • Good Point x 1

#20 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

I juiced an onion with some water and downed it about 30 mins before going to gym once.
I learned that my stomach didn't like the idea any more than the other people in the gym did! :)
I didn't notice any increase in strength and/or stamina. It was probably too soon after dosing to get any result and my stomach chased me home early.

#21 YOLF

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

Yeah...

I've tried it, my juicing method wasn't that good, I basically smoothied it and separated the juice from the solids... Worst onion breath for days... I instead started eating onions en masse and did notice that I felt stronger. My onion regimen generally came from Malaysian curry (the kind from Chinese restaurants) and I'd ask for extra ginger to be added. The result was very tasty and I'd eat the meat out first and smoothie the rest of it for a great spicy snack. I'll be experimenting further soon and will post my experience on it soon.

I have baseline data from about a year ago too, not sure when I'll be able to get the next set of tests done though.

Edited by cryonicsculture, 25 June 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#22 Luminiferous

• 37 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

Ok, I waited before I started the onion regimen till today because of an appointment with the therapist. Now I don't have any sessions till 3-4 weeks, so I will be eating onions every day from now on.

I won't be testing my levels but I will keep a diary and pay attention to my strength and stamina.

A few questions to make sure nothing jeopordizes the results:
-How many onions do I need to take and can I space it out during a day or take it all at once?
-Does it matter whether I juice it or eat it?
-Should I take it with food or an empty stomach
-Which foods should I avoid so that it doesn't decrease the effects of the onion? (Like can I take garlic too?)
-How long should I wait with specially brewed tea to decrease the onion smell?
-Does the type of onion matter?

I will post the diary in 20 days and keep you guys updated.

Edited by Luminiferous, 26 June 2013 - 03:19 PM.

#23 rathrathon

• 1 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:20 PM

Yay, first post!
What if you were to juice a bunch of onions, evaporate away the water, then encapsulate the remaining powder. It would take a little bit more in preparation, but the problems associated with the onion breath and what not would be negated, prolly.

#24 elemerendero1

• 26 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:18 PM

is a study very well known and not to break the eggs in the basket, but ...

those effects are certainly mediated by quercetin contained, in fact, in the onions ... but unfortunately quercetin in addition to increasing the levels of testosterone acts as a receptor antagonistic decreasing the expression.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20148354

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11238180

Now, I have no evidence of what the net balance ... but since the androgen receptors in contrast to other types of receptors increase in number when they are stimulated, come to the conclusion that the receptor antagonism is stronger than the increase of testosterone, indeed probably the increase of testosterone is in part caused by the fact that its receptors are blocked (and in part by the powerful antioxidant activity of the substances contained in the onion).

Be careful when you read the studies and do not take the enthusiasm.

The extraordinary nature of quercetin lies not so much in the effects of testosterone (of dubious value), but the effects it has on stress hormones.
  • like x 1

#25 lammas2

• 137 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

those effects are certainly mediated by quercetin contained, in fact, in the onions ... but unfortunately quercetin in addition to increasing the levels of testosterone acts as a receptor antagonistic decreasing the expression.

Now, I have no evidence of what the net balance ... but since the androgen receptors in contrast to other types of receptors increase in number when they are stimulated, come to the conclusion that the receptor antagonism is stronger than the increase of testosterone, indeed probably the increase of testosterone is in part caused by the fact that its receptors are blocked (and in part by the powerful antioxidant activity of the substances contained in the onion).

The extraordinary nature of quercetin lies not so much in the effects of testosterone (of dubious value), but the effects it has on stress hormones.

Too bad. But still, a good find.

Also this: Resveratrol Inhibits the Expression and Function of the Androgen Receptor in LNCaP Prostate Cancer Cells
http://cancerres.aac...59/23/5892.full

Could it be, that they only have an effect on cancer cells, but not on healthy cells?

#26 sparkk51

• 418 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:29 AM

How can it not have a greatly beneficial net result if it also significantly increases sperm concentration? I still have faith in this.

#27 elemerendero1

• 26 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

How can it not have a greatly beneficial net result if it also significantly increases sperm concentration? I still have faith in this.

If I'm not mistaken the effects on sperm are mediated by the LH and testosterone (those who use steroids is known to be at risk of infertility as these suppress the production of LH).

However, it may be that the effect of reduction of the receptors is restricted to cancer cells and not due to antagonistic action on the same globally ... so maybe its effects are only positive (+ testosterone. - Cancer).

Know that all the antioxidants increase testosterone ... my doubt is born from the fact the study shows a high increase, which I thought could also result from an action of estrogen or androgen receptor blockade.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#28 TleilaxuJemi

• 5 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 06:51 PM

The original hypothesis in the study was that the effect is mediated by antioxidant activity in general. It was already known that antioxidants had an effect on testosterone, but it was not known that the effect could be this large. I think it's unlikely that there is a global blockade of testosterone receptors going on here. Ancient Greek athletes used to consume massive amounts of onions and rub onion juice on their skin, so the anecdotal evidence for a real world performance enhancing effect is strong.

My feeling is that cancer cells are programmed to reduce their growth rate in the presence of antioxidants. Finding effective ways to combat cancer would have been one of the earliest evolutionary challenges for multicellular organisms, so it makes sense that genes would encode routines that cause cancer cells to die in environments where normal cells thrive, i.e. 'antioxidant rich. I strongly believe this is for real, and if it is, this could be *way* better than testosterone supplementation, as it's unlikely to create an imbalance in biochemistry, would be self-limiting, and could have a *ton* of concomitant benefits. I'm going to try to work out a strategy for minimizing body odor from the onion, and then try this.
  • Agree x 1

#29 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 07:22 PM

Traditional Chinese tonic:

slice or chop a raw onion
place in a jar and add a spoonful of sugar
cover, shake, let sit several hours or overnight
drink the juice

The sugar draws out the juice from the onion. It does help coughs and colds, and is reputed to be a healthful tonic for old men.

Another NEW YORKER,I feel blessed man!

Yes, onion juice is interesting, I was always under the impression that you have to eat the onions raw, and that cooking them removes the allicin compound that is supposed to be both neuroprotective and have testosterone boosting properties...

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 08:12 PM

It's not the breath - there is nothing worse than a man who has onion body odour.  You may improve your looks and libido but you will have to pay people to have sex with you. 

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users