Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

r-lipoic acid causing hair loss?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:33 AM

I've been taking a lot of r-lipoic acid (200-300mg) and have noticed some hair shedding lately. More than usual. Now, it could be the DIM taken to counteract side effects of beta sitosterol, or natural hormonal fluctuations, but the increased hair loss began shortly after starting r-lipoic acid a few weeks ago.

I've been eating a lot more protein lately, and my hair is longer, so any shedding might just be more noticeable...

Has anyone else noticed this side effect? I noticed a similar effect last year from ALCAR/ALA but chalked it up to the ALCAR.. maybe its the LA?

RLA makes me feel great and I'd like to keep taking it, but not if it causes baldness...

#2 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 01:50 PM

I take 100 mg of stabilized r-lipoic acid ("Na-RALA") daily and have not noticed any hair loss from this amount. However, when I was taking more than 100 mg my hair did indeed thin out appreciably.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 full_circle

• 144 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 02:02 PM

mostly likely due to the fact that lipoic acid is a good chelator.

Chromium 2+
Iron 3+
Mercury 2+
Copper 2+
Lead 2+
Zinc 2+
Cadmium 2+
Cobalt 2+
Aluminum 3+
Iron 2+
Manganese 2+
Calcium 2+
Magnesium 2+

lipoic acid seems to exibit highest affinity to Chromium 2+ and lowest affinity to Magnesium 2+. increase intake of the upper-portioned minerals (minus heavy metals!) then you'll be fine. i currently take 1000mg of Jarrow alpha lipoic a day and experience no hair thinning/loss (i take good mineral sup.). copper seems to have a lot to do with hair quality imo.

Edited by full_circle, 27 March 2010 - 02:37 PM.

#4 Dorho

• 354 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 02:50 PM

(i take good mineral sup.)

Is the product you're taking available in western supplement retailers like iHerb? What product is it?

#5 full_circle

• 144 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 02:52 PM

read "Advice for a minimal regime" thread.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 1kgcoffee

• Topic Starter
  • 737 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:58 PM

Thanks for the responses.

According to this thread (http://forum.lef.org...px?f=35&m=17079) It may also have something to do with lipoic acid having a similar structure to biotin and interfering with its uptake. Funny thing is, the RLA I'm taking comes with biotin! Maybe it's insufficient, or perhaps it's chelating too well. Either way I'm going to stop until more is known.

Edit to add: I'm taking doctors best
http://www.iherb.com...gie-Caps/4?at=0

Edited by 1kgcoffee, 27 March 2010 - 04:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users