Photo
- - - - -

Best supplements for brain recovery.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Vitae

• 3 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:40 PM

What would be your recommendation as the best supplements (most effective) for aiding brain recovery and cognitive deficit from long term Opiate abuse? (Or all drug use for that matter). There are so many supplements on the market and discussed that I can't possibly really afford every possibility nor take 300 pills per day. So what , in your opinion, would be the most crucial to help restore someone from 'brain fog, memory problems, spatial memory, focus, and so on'?

Also, if you don't mind if you list a supplement could you list what dosage you think is preferred?

Lastly, I have considerably anxiety at the moment,.. so anything that drastically increases fear or anxiety should be avoided imo.

Thanks!

#2 Bonee

• 147 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:47 PM

I think you should
eat healthy and excercise a lot first
then

I would recommend the Racetam family and Hydergine synergistic combination
I would get some Lions Mane too

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:05 PM

#4 Vitae

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:07 PM

I think you should
eat healthy and excercise a lot first
then

I would recommend the Racetam family and Hydergine synergistic combination
I would get some Lions Mane too

I will have a look into what you recommended. I do plan on Exercising, even though I have unexplained pain in my spine/back muscles/neck -- and in random joints with no explanation ;)

If anyone else has any more recommendations, dosages, or advice I am all ears!

I am not a teenager or younger , but I am 31,.. still young enough, imo, to have a significant recovery both mentally and physically.

#5 Vitae

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:08 PM

I see -- I am doing searches. Still wouldn't mind replys from whomever feels up to it. I totally understand repetitive questions.

Thanks for the heads up.

#6 Hedrock

• 157 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:39 PM

You could try N-acetylcysteine (NAC).

Cheap and proven. It helped me a lot with my brain (mercury poisoning).

look here - some scientific evidence for NAC helping drug poisoned

Acetylcysteine for Acetaminophen Poisoning

Clinically, this hypothesis has been supported by several recently published studies that have reported on the efficacy of N-acetylcysteine, a glutathione precursor, in the treatment of various psychiatric disorders

Glutathione: a novel treatment target in psychiatry

Edited by Hedrock, 12 April 2010 - 10:58 PM.

#7 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:11 AM

What would be your recommendation as the best supplements (most effective) for aiding brain recovery and cognitive deficit from long term Opiate abuse? (Or all drug use for that matter).

This was discussed recently in this thread, wherein another older thread is linked as well.

Opioids cause some cognitive deficits which are alleviated with cessation of use. But they also cause some physiological damage (with chronic administration): inducing apoptosis (cell death), and inhibiting normal adult neurogenesis, particularly in areas associated with neuroplasticity (adaptability). The extent depends on the substance and duration of use.

Growth hormone is a mechanism I saw mentioned which helps reverse specific opioid-induced apoptosis, but that's pretty advanced tinkering. For addressing physiological damage, I would stick to the substances mentioned which increase NGF and neurogenesis, and antioxidants.

But nootropics used generally to enhance cognition are perfectly applicable here as well. I'd encourage you to start reading about the basics, there's a lot of information, and possible effects on anxiety are usually mentioned somewhere.

#8 Hedrock

• 157 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:26 PM

One NAC (600 mg) sparkling tablet every morning.

Then after 10 day make a break for 3 days. Then continue!

Sure you will feel newborn.

Oh my god! I searched 8 years to find this simple supplement and it is the only one that helped me to be clear-headed and concentrated.

Edited by Hedrock, 13 April 2010 - 01:32 PM.

#9 Lallante

• 197 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:03 PM

Can anyone tell me if NAC has actual 'healing' properties or merely suppresses addiction and prevents further damage? Any more general studies of improved cognition?

#10 Ethan Snell

• 26 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:03 AM

I would suggest fish oil supplements. There are a many research studies that show fish oil helps in boosting memory and cognitive skills. Fish oil is also known to help you cope better in stress-related situations. (Read: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/12909818).

I think you will find some progress by taking a fish oil supplement regularly. Remember to choose a quality fish oil supplement. Recently, independent tests were conducted on popular fish oil supplements available in the market. The tests showed that most fish oil supplements do NOT contain dangerous levels of mercury, but may contain PCBs and other contaminants that could harm health. It’s safer to choose a triple strength fish oil supplement. Pharmaceutical quality fish oil also will give you better results. Take about 2000 mg of omega 3 fatty acid content containing 800 mg EPA and 400 DHA. The label should mention such details.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:23 PM

One NAC (600 mg) sparkling tablet every morning.

Then after 10 day make a break for 3 days. Then continue!

Sure you will feel newborn.

Oh my god! I searched 8 years to find this simple supplement and it is the only one that helped me to be clear-headed and concentrated.

Could you please share the brand that you are taking please as i feel i need to detoxify my brain a little from all the supplements i have tried!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users