Photo
- - - - -

Zinc to copper ratio

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:53 PM

I checked my zinc/copper levels with spectracell labs and my zinc seems to be mildly deficient and my copper looks a little elevated. I read somewhere that men were supposed to be zinc dominant and women were supposed to be copper dominant, and that men with low zinc had feminine characteristics. I find this to be true.. I would be very indifferent before I started supplementing zinc and I never felt compelled to pick sides, especially in debates. After supplementing, I feel more motivated than ever. My memory has gone way up, and I can actually learn material now as well as process it efficiently. I've been reading about receptors for months and I never really understood what I was reading until I started supplementing zinc recently. It feels like my ADHD has gone way down also... and my feelings are much stronger (greater ups) and it's day 4 on zinc...

Zinc: 37
<=37% is deficient

Range: 57-28

Copper 55
<=42% is deficient

Range: 31-65

The copper seems to be a bit high, since most results fall between 37 and 53. The tests aren't standard so it's a bit difficult to explain.

Anyone have a similar experience? What should the ratio be? (I understand this test is not a good indicator of my ratios but it can give me a good estimate).

Edited by racingmind, 24 May 2010 - 06:59 PM.

#2 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:57 PM

What sort of tests did spectracell labs do? Serum, RBC?

Most mineral tests are notoriously unreliable. Zinc is hard to figure out exactly, and I think copper is even more difficult (if using standard lab tests).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 stablemind

• Topic Starter
  • 520 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:26 AM

What sort of tests did spectracell labs do? Serum, RBC?

Most mineral tests are notoriously unreliable. Zinc is hard to figure out exactly, and I think copper is even more difficult (if using standard lab tests).

Pmed...

#4 stablemind

• Topic Starter
  • 520 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:35 AM

I'd like to add I've been taking sam-e, methylfolate, methylcobalamin, p-5-p, as well. In the beginning I was mildly deficient in B-12 at first so I started supplementing, which helped my energy a ton. I also started supplementing P-5-P which gave me additional focus, and I felt more concentrated, but I was still running out of gas by the end of the day. It wasn't smooth at all. After a few months I started supplementing sam-e, which took everything to the next level. My mood started leveling off and I no longer experienced wild mood fluctuations, and my focus was pretty consistent from the start to the end of the day. My energy was also very consistent, which was a first. I still struggled with issues of common sense, in depth thinking, and decision making. I got a blood test done and it looked like I was pretty deficient in folate, and mildy deficient in zinc. This makes sense because a deficiency in zinc would decrease the absorption of folate. But what would cause a zinc deficiency and how could it have affected me so much hmm. If someone can explain what happened that would be awesome...

Edited by racingmind, 25 May 2010 - 07:00 AM.

#5 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:09 AM

I assume the methylfolate was added recently (after this spectracell test)?

Zinc deficiency... too much copper in diet? Too little zinc? Ace inhibitor? Perhaps some other medication that lowers zinc?

#6 Cless986

• 62 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:49 AM

I checked my zinc/copper levels with spectracell labs and my zinc seems to be mildly deficient and my copper looks a little elevated. I read somewhere that men were supposed to be zinc dominant and women were supposed to be copper dominant, and that men with low zinc had feminine characteristics. I find this to be true.. I would be very indifferent before I started supplementing zinc and I never felt compelled to pick sides, especially in debates. After supplementing, I feel more motivated than ever. My memory has gone way up, and I can actually learn material now as well as process it efficiently. I've been reading about receptors for months and I never really understood what I was reading until I started supplementing zinc recently. It feels like my ADHD has gone way down also... and my feelings are much stronger (greater ups) and it's day 4 on zinc...

<=37% is deficient

Copper 55
<=42% is deficient

The copper seems to be a bit high, since most results fall between 37 and 53. The tests aren't standard so it's a bit difficult to explain.

Anyone have a similar experience? What should the ratio be? (I understand this test is not a good indicator of my ratios but it can give me a good estimate).

I totally agree with you, my life changed after I began to take zinc :D, I am a 20 year old chinese male
Before that I had acne and oily face, low libido (ouch!!), lack of concentration, ADHD behaviour like you, lack of energy...
and now after taking zinc, I feel great!!! I began to REALLY feel the effects after two weeks, horny everyday, more energy and adhd almost gone, I can concentrate better, etc It cleared my face too! not so oily anymore!!
I dont know about the ratio... I take zinc almost everyday before sleeping with an empty stomach (no sideeffects yet)
along with fish oil (1000mg) and pure royal jelly, and sometimes I stop taking zinc for the magnesium citrate, (also another nutrient that helped a lot)
not sure about if I need copper... I feel great but I am taking care of not abusing

#7 elecdonia

• 39 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:55 AM

I'd like to add I've been taking sam-e, methylfolate, methylcobalamin, p-5-p, as well. In the beginning I was mildly deficient in B-12 at first so I started supplementing, which helped my energy a ton. I also started supplementing P-5-P which gave me additional focus, and I felt more concentrated, but I was still running out of gas by the end of the day. It wasn't smooth at all. After a few months I started supplementing sam-e, which took everything to the next level. My mood started leveling off and I no longer experienced wild mood fluctuations, and my focus was pretty consistent from the start to the end of the day. My energy was also very consistent, which was a first. I still struggled with issues of common sense, in depth thinking, and decision making. I got a blood test done and it looked like I was pretty deficient in folate, and mildy deficient in zinc. This makes sense because a deficiency in zinc would decrease the absorption of folate. But what would cause a zinc deficiency and how could it have affected me so much hmm. If someone can explain what happened that would be awesome...

How much methylfolate are you taking? Is it metafolin?

I've been supplementing with similar items. My B6 and B12 blood levels are both at the high end of the range. Unfortunately I don't have numbers for my folate level. Recently I began to suspect that my folate levels are low, which may have caused brain fog and depression. 2 weeks ago I got some methylfolate for the first time (Solgar, which is metafolin). I'm taking 1 per day, which is 800 mcg. I think the methylfolate is helping, but it's a bit hard to tell yet.

I've also supplemented zinc, but no extra copper beyond what is in the multi which I take every day. I haven't yet had any blood tests for minerals. I wonder if some of us wind up with excess copper due to the copper water pipes in our houses? My house has copper pipes and I drink tap water.

I've tried sam-e but I don't think it works as well as TMG for me. I really like TMG.

Have you had any hormone level tests recently? (Test, cortisol, TSH)

BTW, what do you usually eat? How much daily exercise do you get?

#8 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:49 AM

I was about to suggest the same thing, and for the Cless too.

A full hormone workup would be a good idea, especially checking testosterone levels. If they were previously low, while being zinc deficient, replacing zinc may increase test levels -- hence the improvements in energy and mood. And in Cless' case, libido.

Ideally you'd have hormone levels tested before and after you started zinc supplementation, to see if there were any changes.

#9 stablemind

• Topic Starter
  • 520 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:59 AM

<=37% is deficient

Copper 55
<=42% is deficient

I totally agree with you, my life changed after I began to take zinc :D, I am a 20 year old chinese male
Before that I had acne and oily face, low libido (ouch!!), lack of concentration, ADHD behaviour like you, lack of energy...
and now after taking zinc, I feel great!!! I began to REALLY feel the effects after two weeks, horny everyday, more energy and adhd almost gone, I can concentrate better, etc It cleared my face too! not so oily anymore!!
I dont know about the ratio... I take zinc almost everyday before sleeping with an empty stomach (no sideeffects yet)
along with fish oil (1000mg) and pure royal jelly, and sometimes I stop taking zinc for the magnesium citrate, (also another nutrient that helped a lot)
not sure about if I need copper... I feel great but I am taking care of not abusing

I'm chinese too haha. Have you been diagnosed with anything? Have you checked all your hormornal panels?

I've been supplementing with similar items. My B6 and B12 blood levels are both at the high end of the range. Unfortunately I don't have numbers for my folate level. Recently I began to suspect that my folate levels are low, which may have caused brain fog and depression. 2 weeks ago I got some methylfolate for the first time (Solgar, which is metafolin). I'm taking 1 per day, which is 800 mcg. I think the methylfolate is helping, but it's a bit hard to tell yet.

I've also supplemented zinc, but no extra copper beyond what is in the multi which I take every day. I haven't yet had any blood tests for minerals. I wonder if some of us wind up with excess copper due to the copper water pipes in our houses? My house has copper pipes and I drink tap water.

I've tried sam-e but I don't think it works as well as TMG for me. I really like TMG.

I take 400mcg of methylfolate, yes its metafolin. I've had my cortisol, and thyroid tested and they all came out fine. I'm not sure if getting a testosterone check would be helpful.. I don't really have the side effects of low testosterone. I was horny as fuck in the past and I still had a lot of energy issues.

I dont keep track of what i eat but in the past it was quite healthy yet I had all these issues which is very strange... so I guess I was genetically deficient. I exercise very often, some times multiple times a week in the gym, so this isn't an issue either.

My neuropsychologist recently diagnosed me with bipolar 2... Apparently my intelligence was quite high but my attention is below average, so now I'm left to figure out how I should tackle this issue. Zinc really helped a lot in the mood department, but how could it be helping me gain so much energy and enthusiasm, as well as learning ability hmm the puzzle remains unsolved.

Edited by racingmind, 27 May 2010 - 08:04 AM.

#10 24 Is Ours

• 57 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:08 PM

<=37% is deficient

Copper 55
<=42% is deficient

I'm chinese too haha. Have you been diagnosed with anything? Have you checked all your hormornal panels?

I take 400mcg of methylfolate, yes its metafolin. I've had my cortisol, and thyroid tested and they all came out fine. I'm not sure if getting a testosterone check would be helpful.. I don't really have the side effects of low testosterone. I was horny as fuck in the past and I still had a lot of energy issues.

I dont keep track of what i eat but in the past it was quite healthy yet I had all these issues which is very strange... so I guess I was genetically deficient. I exercise very often, some times multiple times a week in the gym, so this isn't an issue either.

My neuropsychologist recently diagnosed me with bipolar 2... Apparently my intelligence was quite high but my attention is below average, so now I'm left to figure out how I should tackle this issue. Zinc really helped a lot in the mood department, but how could it be helping me gain so much energy and enthusiasm, as well as learning ability hmm the puzzle remains unsolved.

Could be you didn't have enough zinc to fully complete the synthesis from B6 to Serotonin ? Basically, low zinc means low serotonin levels. http://www.wellspher...bat-adhd/646896

Edited by 24 Is Ours, 13 June 2010 - 10:11 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 stablemind

• Topic Starter
  • 520 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:05 AM

<=37% is deficient

Copper 55
<=42% is deficient

Could be you didn't have enough zinc to fully complete the synthesis from B6 to Serotonin ? Basically, low zinc means low serotonin levels. http://www.wellspher...bat-adhd/646896

possibly. I took a zinc tally test and I couldn't really taste it till the 15sec mark so I was mildly deficient in zinc. Since my initial post I've felt a lot better so the zinc has made a really impressive impact. It's also possible that it's excessive melatonin that zinc is reducing which causes thyroid dysfunction? I think i'm going to get my thyroid throughly inspected. Do you feel 100% better or are your attentional issues still persisting? I'm thinking about trialing piracetam but I'm going to wait until you've posted some positive results b/c I'm kind of afraid haha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users