Photo
- - - - -

Recommend a good facial moisturizer

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Elenai

• 46 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:56 PM

I am 38 and my skin dosn´t look too bad, although I have quite a lot of wrinkles due to extremely bad moisturizing habits over the past few years. Right now, in the morning, I:

- wash my face with dr.organic aloe vera soap

http://www.drorganic...oe-products.asp

- moisturize with dr.organic aloe vera gel

- when exposed to the sun I apply, before leaving the house, La Roche Posay Anthelios XL 50+ fluid cream

In the eve, same routine as in the morning with washing and aloe vera mosturizing and on top I apply a few drops of Bio-oil

http://www.bio-oil.com/uses.html

Bio-oil works well for me but I am considering changing it for rosa mosqueta (rosehip) oil. In general my skin does feel supple and better than before, but I am looking for an additional moisturizer to apply over my skin in the mornings, right after the aloe vera. I am using the aloe vera after I saw a poster in the nutrition forum mention aloe vera 99% gel as the most moisturizing substance in the world but I figure if my skin can take the oil in the evenings on top of the aloe vera, it should also be ok to apply a moisturizer on top of it in the mornings? So I am looking for a recommendation of a good cream for that, I am ok with the wrinkles that I already have but I would like to slow down the appearance of new ones!
Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:55 AM

99% Aloe vera gel.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:48 PM

A good organic refined emu oil and Love Your Face Cream at night, and, 99 to 100 percent organic aloe vera and a good sunscreen during the day.

http://www.imherbal....-herbs-and-oils

If you have the money, I would invest in facials with microdermabrasion, maybe look into the diamond cut kind, and do them 3 to 4 times a year.

I just started rubbing fresh ginger in my face, not sure if it's helping yet. There are tons of facials and other things you can do with foodstuff(avacados) that you can buy at the market-preferably organic. I actually made a chocolate mouse out of raw cacao powder, coconut oil, avacado, sea salt, vanilla, evaporated cane sugar and honey. I ate it and it was awesome. Then I decided to put some on my face for a 30 min facial-also pretty awesome.

#4 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:18 PM

A good organic refined emu oil and Love Your Face Cream at night, and, 99 to 100 percent organic aloe vera and a good sunscreen during the day.

http://www.imherbal....-herbs-and-oils

If you have the money, I would invest in facials with microdermabrasion, maybe look into the diamond cut kind, and do them 3 to 4 times a year.

I just started rubbing fresh ginger in my face, not sure if it's helping yet. There are tons of facials and other things you can do with foodstuff(avacados) that you can buy at the market-preferably organic. I actually made a chocolate mouse out of raw cacao powder, coconut oil, avacado, sea salt, vanilla, evaporated cane sugar and honey. I ate it and it was awesome. Then I decided to put some on my face for a 30 min facial-also pretty awesome.

I have been using Juvess on my face, supplemented with Vitamin C, E, and Fuerlic (spelling?) acid. So far so good, but I'm still too young to really notice a difference and have not tried other creams.

#5 Elenai

• Topic Starter
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:40 PM

99% Aloe vera gel.

The one that I am using morning and evening is pretty much 99% with very few added ingredients but I am going to get a 99% next time although I do not think there´s much difference really. You are actually the poster I was talking about, and the reason I started using the aloe vera gel. But i think my skin can actually take an additional moisturizer on top of the AV, it can in the evenings so I don´t see why not in the mornings. Only in the mornings I can not apply oil cos my skin will burn.

#6 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:46 PM

Try a small jar of the Love Your Face cream for a month or so at night. I think it's great stuff. JMO.

Then do Aloe and a sunscreen during the day.

#7 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:24 PM

I am 38 and my skin dosn´t look too bad, although I have quite a lot of wrinkles due to extremely bad moisturizing habits over the past few years. Right now, in the morning, I:

- wash my face with dr.organic aloe vera soap

- moisturize with dr.organic aloe vera gel

- when exposed to the sun I apply, before leaving the house, La Roche Posay Anthelios XL 50+ fluid cream

In the eve, same routine as in the morning with washing and aloe vera mosturizing and on top I apply a few drops of Bio-oil

http://www.bio-oil.com/uses.html

Bio-oil works well for me but I am considering changing it for rosa mosqueta (rosehip) oil. In general my skin does feel supple and better than before, but I am looking for an additional moisturizer to apply over my skin in the mornings, right after the aloe vera. I am using the aloe vera after I saw a poster in the nutrition forum mention aloe vera 99% gel as the most moisturizing substance in the world but I figure if my skin can take the oil in the evenings on top of the aloe vera, it should also be ok to apply a moisturizer on top of it in the mornings? So I am looking for a recommendation of a good cream for that, I am ok with the wrinkles that I already have but I would like to slow down the appearance of new ones!
Thanks in advance for any help.

You should apply LRP Anthelios SPF 50+ everyday (even when inside).
It is also moisturizing.
I would recommend investing in a good Vitamin C (+ anti-oxidants serum) using AM. and PM after cleansing.
LRP Redermic for dry skin can also be a very good alternative for Vit. C supplementation (and hydration). Use it AM before sunscreen and PM alone.

BTW. Wrinkles do not come because of bad moisturizing habits. More likely because of far too much UV exposure.

#8 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:49 PM

This stuff is the shizz fo' sho!

http://www.iherb.com.../2419?at=0&at=3

NA-PCA The Natural Moisturizing Factor in Human Skin.

Edited by pycnogenol, 25 July 2010 - 10:50 PM.

#9 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:46 AM

dermae moisturizer

i use the axtaxanthin + pycnogenol
and
vitamin c

#10 Azeroth Girl

• 14 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:59 PM

Bio Oil is basically a liquid paraffin. It does the job, but it is chemical and I personally wouldn't rub this stuff into my skin.

I swear by natural, organic skincare from Dr. Hauschka - try their Rose Day Cream or Quince Cream. Also Pai (absolutely beautiful skincare range!), SuKin, Neal's Yard, Weleda (especially their Skin Food) and Barefoot Botanicals are very very good.

Rosa Mosqueta oil is very perishable, you have to use it within 3 months after opening, so supplement would work better, or other rosehip oil. Neal's Yard does one whith longer shelf life.

#11 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:33 PM

I like the look of this stuff! Can someone tell me; is it all BS marketing or do products like these that have ingredients similar or emulating our skin makeup ("...concentrated solution of the sodium salt of pyrrolidone carboxylic acid, the natural moisturizing factor found in human skin") actually have merit. For example, Lanolin Oil which is derived entirely from the wool of sheep? Product claims "Lanolin extracts help protect sheep from both rain and moisture. This natural secretion is remarkably close to that of our own skin, and has a texture that's similar to petroleum jelly. NOW Pure Lanolin is perfect for use on very dry, rough or chapped skin". I've heard old people raving about this stuff, what does ImmInst think? :)

#12 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:43 AM

I like the look of this stuff! Can someone tell me; is it all BS marketing or do products like these that have ingredients similar or emulating our skin makeup ("...concentrated solution of the sodium salt of pyrrolidone carboxylic acid, the natural moisturizing factor found in human skin") actually have merit. For example, Lanolin Oil which is derived entirely from the wool of sheep? Product claims "Lanolin extracts help protect sheep from both rain and moisture. This natural secretion is remarkably close to that of our own skin, and has a texture that's similar to petroleum jelly. NOW Pure Lanolin is perfect for use on very dry, rough or chapped skin". I've heard old people raving about this stuff, what does ImmInst think? :)

Well I got some for my mom and she says its one of the most amazing moisturizers she's used.

#13 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:12 AM

Well I got some for my mom and she says its one of the most amazing moisturizers she's used.

What NA-PCA or Lanolin? :)

#14 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:17 AM

Na PCA

Effect of a skin cream containing the sodium salt of pyrollidone carboxylic acid on dry and flaky skin
J. D. Middleton , Marese E. RobertsABSTRACT

Synopsis

Humectants added to skin creams can increase the moisture retention of isolated stratum corneum and reduce the incidence of dry and flaky skin in vivo . This paper gives results of an investigation into the efficacy of a humectant, the sodium salt of pyrollidone carboxylic acid (Na PCA), which occurs naturally in the corneum. A product containing 5% of Na PCA increased the water-holding capacity of isolated animal corneum. In a consumer trial, with assessment of skin dryness and flakiness by trained assessors, the Na PCA product was more effective than a control product containing no humectant and equally effective as a similar established product with a different humectant system.

I also like it because its cheap. With Lanolin I've seen reports of skin hypersensitivity but there's a article somewhere claiming its a myth. Who knows, PCA works so I'll stick with buying that for my mom (and hey its dirt cheap).

#15 Chaos Theory

• 272 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

I tried this stuff because I asked this same question about a facial moisturizer a year or so ago and Na-PCA was recommended to me. Maybe I didn't give it enough time or there were other factors but my skin did not like it. At least not my face. It has a very medicinal smell to it, probably from the ethanol and eucalyptus. It really didn't seem to moisturize much and actually seemed to irritate my skin. A few people on here seem to swear by it though and I still need a day time moisturizer that isn't greasy so maybe I'll give it another shot..

#16 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:57 PM

I tried this stuff because I asked this same question about a facial moisturizer a year or so ago and Na-PCA was recommended to me. Maybe I didn't give it enough time or there were other factors but my skin did not like it. At least not my face. It has a very medicinal smell to it, probably from the ethanol and eucalyptus. It really didn't seem to moisturize much and actually seemed to irritate my skin. A few people on here seem to swear by it though and I still need a day time moisturizer that isn't greasy so maybe I'll give it another shot..

Open the bottle and mix in a small amount of Na-PCA with some water on a round cotton pad and then slowly work it into your skin. Let it soak in. Works really well.
No irritation. I never apply full-strength Na-PCA on my face because it also irritates my skin. A little goes a long way. Re-apply as needed. Good luck.

Edited by pycnogenol, 22 August 2010 - 02:02 PM.

#17 jason66

• 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:40 AM

Men have tougher skin than Women. It is more exposed to pollution, UV ray's and stress factors. Compared to women's skin, men's skin is exposed to 3x more UV rays from the sun. So, they should more careful about their skin.

Moisturizing your face on a daily basis will help promote hydration, skin cell regeneration, healing, and prevent damaging effects from external forces and weather conditions that lead to premature wrinkles, fine lines, and in extreme cases like skin cancer.

I use Fair and Handsome Advanced Whitening Day-Long Moisturiser, which is a moisturizer, made just for men and it has Natural sunscreen protection against UV rays.

#18 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:54 PM

Men have tougher skin than Women. It is more exposed to pollution, UV ray's and stress factors. Compared to women's skin, men's skin is exposed to 3x more UV rays from the sun. So, they should more careful about their skin.

Quite right! Women are inside where they belong! :~
  • dislike x 2
  • like x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#19 Elenai

• Topic Starter
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:30 AM

I thought I'd post an update just to let people know how I am getting on:

Mornings: cleanse with The Body Shop Aloe vera gentle facewash
Apply na-PCA full strengh onto face and directly afterwards or a while later apply 99% aloe vera gel

Evenings: cleanse with The Body Shop Aloe vera gentle facewash
Apply 99% aloe vera gel and directly afterwards apply rosa mosqueta oil in copious amounts, my skin does actually absorb it all by the morning. Sometimes I apply the rosa mosqueta first and the aloe after, sometimes the other way around.

My skin feels really soft and supple SPECIALLY since I've started using the Na-PCA stuff. It has made a much much bigger difference to my skin than the aloe vera or the rosa mosqueta, in fact, it's made more of a difference than them both put together. I think I am going to start using the na-PCA in the eve and substitute one of the other two products, or just alternate between them. The Na-PCA does irritate my skin occasionally, it burns a little bit just a few moments, same with the aloe vera.

My wrinkles in the forehead are very visible throughout the whole day when I haven't slept well (which happens really often these days unfortunately). When I've slept well they're quite ok, and I haven't noticed any more wrinkles appearing. It has to be said, I do not drink nearly enough water, but I do not drink alcohol or smoke either.

Anyways, just in case this helps anyone.

#20 UltimaRatio

• 11 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:50 AM

I like (Twinlab) Na-PCA (with aloe vera) too. It's non-oily and doesn't give me break ups unlike many other humectants. Once I did a split face experiment with it while using a retinoid cream at the same time. Non Na-PCA side had skin irritation, red spots etc and Na-PCA side was normal. Then I switched the treated and untreated sides and again the treated side was ok and the untreated side was reddish and irritated.

#21 frisky

• 12 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:50 PM

Sophyto polyphenol antioxidant skindrops +Sophyto Mega omegas moisturizer perfect for sensitive skin+Avene Cleanance solare spf 30 Haute Protection for day time,All 3 is gente and effective.For night time is good Pomegranate oil around the eyes. :) and Cera Ve PM with niacinamid

Edited by frisky, 01 November 2010 - 05:51 PM.

#22 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:27 PM

I've taken borage oil orally, on and off, for years, - and winter time usually calls for MOAR borage, - last 2 years I've tried borage oil topically as well, and I'm pleased with the results; facial skin feels more moist, and while there is AFAIK generally not much research on topical borage oil application, it seems to really help in skin disorders; eczema, atopic dermatitis, psoriasis, inflammation caused by diabetes, - at least in conditions with a fatty acid imbalance present.

I like Na-PCA, too, - miXed with glycerin it is my favourite 'make-up' before goin' out ( in 5 AM outdoor eXercises in the zhitty cold winter, that is :-))

#23 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:40 PM

I guess what you want to do is hydrate and replenish the lipids in your epidermis. Some say emu oil does both. Squalane is another option for those who wish to stay away from animal products. I tried Skinscueticals B5 hydrating serum for a few months last year, it was pretty hydrating I guess.

Edited by TheFountain, 01 December 2010 - 01:41 PM.

#24 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:09 PM

I wouldn't call the effect of emu oil "hydrating", more like "greasy". It just doesn't absorb that well, at least not on my face.

#25 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:30 AM

Interesting, alot of people with sensitive skin swear by it.

What's your skin type?

#26 spirilla01

• 52 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:29 AM

As a long time Retin a user and quite a lot of flakies, i got a tip off the MUA board to try REDWIN SORBOLENE light facial moisturizer.
And I have never looked back, it removes the flakies over night, is lightweight, hydrating, non greasy and dirt cheap, as least for those beeing fortunate living in Australia.
Here´s the link to the product review on MUA http://www.makeupall...nd/Moisturizers

#27 maralyn jones

• 5 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:24 AM

Its great to use organic products for your skin to keep them healthy...

#28 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:42 PM

Do you actually have solid evidence for that or do you just like to repeat this in every thread?

#29 Stefanovic

• 300 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:28 PM

anyone tried biotherm homme aquapower?

#30 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:24 AM

As a long time Retin a user and quite a lot of flakies, i got a tip off the MUA board to try REDWIN SORBOLENE light facial moisturizer.
And I have never looked back, it removes the flakies over night, is lightweight, hydrating, non greasy and dirt cheap, as least for those beeing fortunate living in Australia.
Here´s the link to the product review on MUA http://www.makeupall...nd/Moisturizers

I checked out this product (Redwin Light Facial Moisturiser with Vit E and Jojoba Oil) and it is very pleasant and light. So +1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users