Join the Longecity sponsored Folding@Home team

folding at home stanford distributed computing

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:54 PM

Attached File  stanford university movement for indefinite life extension.jpg   29.84KB   33 downloads
Stanford University

Joining:
The simple easy to use instructions are here at http://longecity.org/fah

It takes about three minutes on average. Our team is currently ranked in the top 100 out of more than 166,000 teams. You can help us reach the top 10.

This is a great, simple way to volunteer for this cause.

Attached File  folded protein longevity meme folding at home team movement for indefinite life extension.JPG   66.25KB   31 downloads
simulation of a folded protein

Edited by brokenportal, 19 January 2012 - 01:24 AM.

#2 wawee

• 23 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:26 PM

Hi,
This could be great and thanks for the information that you shared with us here and it really help us here..
So, please keep posting.
Thanks in advance..

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:24 AM

The team is picking back up. There are 25 more folders this month than last. Its a good time to get in on the action.

#4 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:51 PM

Attached File  Join the Longecity sponsored Longevity Meme Folding at Home team today..gif   5.18KB   15 downloads

#5 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:34 AM

Thanks for supporting the team, bp!

I've always been very interested in the idea, but was discouraged when I first started about a year ago, because my computers are fairly middle-aged and the processors took forever to complete a work unit (sometimes not before the deadline). This summer I inherited two top-of-the-line, overclocked video cards from a friend of mine, and since I never play games, I've had them both folding all the time (and at 600 watts they keep my room nice and warm). I'm at 41st place right now, and climbing. :cool: (speaking of which, could someone add me to the F@H group list?)

Despite all the effort my poor little computers are putting in, our team has slipped a few places in the past month or so. I'd encourage anyone who can to install the client on their own machines, and any others they can get away with :-D It really doesn't interfere with most tasks, and can be easily paused if you're doing something delicate like burning CDs.

You can make an especially large contribution if your computer has a graphics card, or you have a PS3!
  • like x 1

#6 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:27 AM

I try to bump this topic at least once a month. You could bump it here and there if you want, if you remember. Thughes and I extracted a list of folders to email. I'm working on that right now.

Here is the list of this months folders, by points. I see you are climbing.

TMichael
JustEnough
chungenhung
Vindex
snikeris
VA_Dave
chrono
LongandLasting
Dan_Cleveland
aiguy
Eugenitor
PS3_silver_cure_2010_01_26
ODAN
gwgaston
David_Spelts
moontube
johntroy
Ben_Wraith
sigma957
zillion
Curunir
Maestro949
dexml
SETI146
mbartz
amhamler

We can use a promoter or two. If anybody wants to sign up for that, we can work with you to set up a list of a few simple tasks to perform each month. You'll receive points for this, which you can redeem for various items in the points store (left sidebar). Membership and $30 vouchers are the notable items.

#7 ODAN

• 38 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:16 AM

Sure, I wouldn't mind promoting our team to other people. It's a noble cause, and not time wasted. I'm already doing that with my friends actually, might as well do so on the internet.

Edited by ODAN, 08 December 2011 - 12:16 AM.

#8 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:00 AM

Alright, thats great. Is there an amount of time that you would want to commit to, or a goal you might want to set for yourself? That way you can shoot for what your comfortable with, and then know when youre done. You can then choose to keep going or not from there. Let me know, or I can give you some suggestions if you want. How are you currently going about promoting to friends?

#9 ODAN

• 38 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:26 AM

I don't have much of an idea as how to attain a "goal". Promoting Stanford shared computing and the team is one thing, but how do I know if people actually joins the team because of me ?

What would be called a goal, new users that come from nowhere are automatically linked to me and become my advertising accomplishment ? And my goal would be 10 new people, no matter how long they run the stanford program ?

That would be pretty wide, ahahah, but I don't think we can do anything else to have an idea of what I actually accomplish, and I outright refuse to ask for people's usernames. It's already asking a lot to join one's team, if I have to ask for their usernames too, it'll feel like one of those cheap games where you have to recruit people into the game, while adding your name for a bonus. People will most probably feel reluctant to give it. People like to contribute and participate without speaking out. I can ask for names as an option, a courtesy from the most dedicated. But that's all. I don't mind if I'd get less points for it, I don't exactly do it for the points ahahah

So far I converted one of my pal who was once part of the Rosetta shared computing but forgot about it and stopped. I have many places where I can advertise effectively.

If I needed a goal to attain, well I could probably get 10 new users this month easy peasy. I'll advertise everywhere I can. Thing is, once I did advertised every forum, every places on the Internet I ever went to, well, that would probably be it. I can't see myself going door to door, going to forums where I've never been before, to ask if they've heard the good news of the stanford shared computing to fold proteins.

But I'm sure if many people did their part in this, we'd reach far and wide in the net. We're all very different people, with different interests. Problem is, right now, I can't do much advertisement outside the net. I can, but that wouldn't be very significant. Those people who could do advertisement other than on the computer would be people with access to communities with nerdy or scientific interest, or places where a lot of people that are pretty fluent with computers gather, like universities. Right now, I don't have access to those, sadly. That'll change, but not anytime soon.

Well anyway, here. I'll do what I can. I'll shoot for 10 new people, wish me good luck.

#10 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

Alright, great. If I were you then I would recruit people at Longecity. Every ten that you send out then post here in the folding at home forum that you sent out ten and we'll take it from there. The importance of letting us know here is so that people can see another example of people doing something for the cause. Good luck.

#11 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

To all cause supporters, join our folding at home team here and I will give you some points.

#12 ihatesnow

• 776 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

joined the team ... don't see my name yet ...been 2 hours ... but i see the work units done.......... used Rochester New York

#13 ihatesnow

• 776 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

joined the team ... don't see my name yet ...been 2 hours ... but i see the work units done.......... used Rochester New York

never mind.........I see it now

#14 ihatesnow

• 776 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:14 AM

i suggest a team link on the longecity page so all can see it when they visit the fourm maybe in the community box
  • like x 1

#15 Baten

• 785 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

I've downloaded the client and I'll let it run for today, but kind of doubt my computer has decent enough processing power to be of help.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#16 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:01 AM

Do you want to contribute to the cause? Do you want to help the move toward the goal of indefinite life extension get stronger? You can do it with out doing anything. Just join the folding at home team here and your computer does work for the cause in its idle cpu time. It costs your computer next to nothing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: folding at home, stanford, distributed computing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users