Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Purslane

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 pleb

• 462 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

I believe logic (another member on the site) is a keen advocate of purslane, he sent me quite a bit of information on it just after i joined the site,
enough for me to find a source of seeds and when the time is right to grow my own,
i believe the acidic taste can be ameliorated by quenching in boiling water for a couple of minutes,

Edited by pleb, 07 January 2013 - 07:40 AM.

#32 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

It's good in a salad with yogurt.

If there were a good supplement, I'd consider it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

i believe the acidic taste can be ameliorated by quenching in boiling water for a couple of minutes,

Its the oxalic acid, a naturally occurring substance found in some vegetables, which may crystallize as oxalate stones in the urinary tract in some people that is ameliorated by quenching in boiling water for a couple of minutes.

Yogurt and other milk products will bind the oxalates and neutralise them too.
I had some, out the garden, this morning with yogurt.

The taste is slightly salty and slightly sour, if anything, but not at all offensive.
even children dont mind the taste and some even quite like it.

#34 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:54 PM

Its the oxalic acid, a naturally occurring substance found in some vegetables, which may crystallize as oxalate stones in the urinary tract in some people that is ameliorated by quenching in boiling water for a couple of minutes.

Yogurt and other milk products will bind the oxalates and neutralise them too.
I had some, out the garden, this morning with yogurt.

The taste is slightly salty and slightly sour, if anything, but not at all offensive.
even children dont mind the taste and some even quite like it.

Since I was doing a forum search and this popped up in the results.....

One thing to be noted if you are growing and harvesting your own purslane, the time of harvest and soil moisture conditions greatly affect the taste. If you harvest it in the morning it will have a higher mallic acid content and give it a bit of a bitter taste compared to harvesting in the afternoon when it will taste sweeter.

As Logic stated, boiling/cooking greatly reduces the amount of oxalates.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#35 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:12 PM

I found a copy of a mouse study about the protective effect of Purslane on telomere length here:

Neuroprotective effects of purslane herb aquenous extracts against D-galactose induced neurotoxicity.

Looks like they tested an extract obtained by boiling purslane in water for 3 hours before filtering and drying to a powder. The study's thin film chromatography only mentions finding polyphenols, flavonoids and tannins in their extract.  Which suggest if you don't want any oxalates, you might want to make a a tea with purslane instead of eating it whole.

Howard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users