Photo
- - - - -

Antibiotics Cancel out Adderall Completely

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 cougar

• 114 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:20 PM

I've been having airway infection for a week now and have been taking antibiotics every day. The weird thing I've noticed is that the antibiotics seem to cancel out the effect of Adderall COMPLETELY. Literally, I'm getting absolutely ZERO effect from Adderall which is too bad for me as I've already wasted a week being extremely low productive. I've searched a little bit but didn't find anything supporting this claim. Have any of you experienced similar things? Can anybody here give me an explaination as to why antibiotics cancel out Adderall completely? I still have to continue taking the antibiotic for 5 days and I really don't have the luxury to waste another 5 days. I've already added 2.5mg d-Amphetamine IR on top of my regular 5mg Adderall XR which helped a little bit. Should I keep adding the dose further without developing tolerance? I mean, am I still be able to go back to my baseline dosage after I finish antibiotics next week? Thanks in advance.

Edited by cougar, 06 October 2010 - 07:29 PM.

#2 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:28 PM

So which antibiotics are you using ?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 cougar

• Topic Starter
  • 114 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:35 PM

So which antibiotics are you using ?

I was taking Clarithromycin last week and have been switched to Cephalexin since this Monday.

#4 ultranaut

• 130 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:26 PM

My best guess would be that the antibiotics are making your stomach more acidic.

#5 cougar

• Topic Starter
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:30 AM

My best guess would be that the antibiotics are making your stomach more acidic.

Yes, this is one of the possibilities. Also could be antibiotics interfering with some liver enzymes and changes the metabolism of Adderall? Who knows.

#6 NR2(x)

• 253 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:38 AM

Some of the antibotics severely distript signal transduction, as amphetamine works through modification of signal transduction, its is possiable that the antibotic is indirectly antagonising the amphetamine. No idea how likely this is tho

#7 Steve_86

• 266 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:28 AM

Some of the antibotics severely distript signal transduction, as amphetamine works through modification of signal transduction, its is possiable that the antibotic is indirectly antagonising the amphetamine. No idea how likely this is tho

So it's possible that an anti-biotic could be used to help with sleep after using dexamphetamine?

#8 NR2(x)

• 253 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:49 AM

So it's possible that an anti-biotic could be used to help with sleep after using dexamphetamine?

Potentially, but its a very poor method.Reasons
Antibiotics can be very dangerous medicines, amphetamine is very safe compared to these(presuming saniety).
Indirect methods are not prefered,whats the interaction between the two modes, lack of knowledgable understanding.
Good Subistuties exist, aka GABA analouges, melatonin, even Benzos
Dont buzz before sleep anyway

#9 cougar

• Topic Starter
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:46 PM

Thanks for your reply NR2(x), also the article "Tuning cognitive engine" you recommended is very interesting, I only read 3 pages yet but will read the entirely article for sure. What else book or article can you recommend of?
I took 10mg Adderall this morning and waited for 1 hour when Adderall started kicking in, then I took the antibiotic, I could still notice adderall working very well while I was driving to work because it was not difficult for me at all to pay attention to the radio program I was listening to. However, the effect vanished rapidly after the antibiotic dose. It seems that not only does antibiotic kill bacterial, it kills dopamine and norepinephrine too. Really really bad!!!

#10 NR2(x)

• 253 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:00 AM

Clarithromycin prevents bacteria from growing by interfering with their protein synthesis. Clarithromycin binds to the subunit 50S of the bacterial ribosome and thus inhibits the translation of peptides.

It appears to effect almost all aspects of cellular biology. The extent that it binds to similar units in human cells in unknown to me. But I would definitly recommend not taking unless as prescribed, even then the question of need, is valid. Bacteria make up large percentage of your body weight. It is even debated wheather or not Mitochondria are infact a foriegn organism.

Thats quite a broard question, I would recommend following your interests and subject threads. There are many abstracts listed with that article, why not source one of those.

#11 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:08 AM

Some of the antibotics severely distript signal transduction, as amphetamine works through modification of signal transduction, its is possiable that the antibotic is indirectly antagonising the amphetamine.

I'm not that familiar with the finer pharmacology of AMP, but as part of its effect is by binding to and inhibiting DATs, I don't think this mechanism could account for a complete loss of effect. I'd be more apt to guess it's some kind of absorption issue.

#12 alias1

• 8 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:01 AM

Anyone know anything about this?

#13 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:45 AM

Antibiotics cancel out birth control pills, too. Something to remember.

#14 alias1

• 8 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:11 PM

I know it's an old thread but considering it's been started already; I've bumped it. I'm experiencing the same problems for the second time, first being with Tetracyclin and now with Clindamycin. I also felt a rebound effect while on Tetracyclin, where I would take my usual dexedrine dose schedule but it would instead kick in hours later, abruptly and quickly.

#15 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:38 AM

Try talking to a pharmacist or your doctor's to find out if this is a known side effect. The package insert, or the Physician's Desk Reference, a reference book, is another resource. So is calling the 800 number for the drug company, or doing a google search, or looking at Pub Med

#16 schwartl

• 2 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:40 PM

Wow this is so interesting! All week I've been taking Clarithromycin and freaking out because as soon as I went on it, my Adderall also had COMPLETELY no effect. I took more and still nothing. I also have a demanding work load and desperately need it to focus. I cannot wait to be done with these antibiotics! I searched "Clarithromycin and Adderall interactions" to see if I was just crazy or if others have experienced the same thing, and this is the first post that appeared. I'm just happy I'm not crazy :)

#17 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:47 PM

I just wanted to say welcome to longecity.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#18 schwartl

• 2 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:34 PM

Thank you :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users