* * * * * 2 votes

More sitting correlated with greater mortality regardless of exercise

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

Arrrggg, I probably sit for about 5 to 6 hours a day between Longecity and my day job. I wish it wasn't so, but it is a reality of the information age. I think I will try out the yoga/exercise ball thing. Yet another study indicating bad things from sitting too much - increased rate of diabetes in women.

#32 #1hit

• 153 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

This post makes me feel good about buying a standing desk. But really, for a relatively cheap option, at least for the time you spend in your house, ikea's FREDRIK desk is great, its basically two metal post with one really big and two smaller platforms you can place at any height between the two post. I typed this response on top of it.

http://www.ikea.com/...ducts/80141483/

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 natro

• 34 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:49 AM

I'm using a yoga ball for now.. Hopefully it helps. It seems to force me to be in a better sitting position because if I slouch my back starts hurting a bit.

#34 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

Work at wall mart, then you will be running marathons everyday.

#35 ImmInst

• Admin, Director robot
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:46 AM

Here is a large statistical study that claims a correlation between time spent sitting and mortality rate that exists independently of the well known correlations between level of physical activity and mortality rate. More exercise means a longer life expectancy while more sitting means a lower life expectancy even after considering that those who sit more often are most likely exercising less.

Sitting Time and All-Cause Mortality Risk in 222,497 Australian Adults:

We linked prospective questionnaire data from 222,497 individuals 45 years or older from the 45 and Up Study to mortality data from the New South Wales Registry of Births, Deaths, and Marriages (Australia) from February 1, 2006, through December 31, 2010. Cox proportional hazards models examined all-cause mortality in relation to sitting time, adjusting for potential confounders that included sex, age, education, urban/rural residence, physical activity, body mass index, smoking status, self-rated health, and disability.

The association between sitting and all-cause mortality appeared consistent across the sexes, age groups, body mass index categories, and physical activity levels and across healthy participants compared with participants with preexisting cardiovascular disease or diabetes mellitus. ... Prolonged sitting is a risk factor for all-cause mortality, independent of physical activity.

This is not the first study to propose this correlation, of course. There are a range of others from past years. One has to wonder what the mechanism is here, however - my suspicion is that it actually does all come back down to the level of physical activity in the end. In these massive studies the level of exercise and activity is reported by the participants. A person who stands and works is going to be somewhat more active than a person who sits and works, even though that time may not be categorized as physical activity, or reported differently.

Exercise is much like calorie restriction - the effects are so large in comparison to other factors we have easy access to that they are likely to creep into any study.

You might look at a recent study on activity and Alzheimer's disease that was one of the few to use measuring devices rather than reports of activity. One point that emerges is that a fair degree of ongoing low level activity and exercise won't be classified as such by the participants of study without machine measurement. Housework, taking out the trash, the small increase in energy expenditure from standing while waiting versus sitting while waiting, that sort of thing repeated day in and day out. How much you are sitting really does sound a lot like a proxy for how much activity you are undertaking when you are doing things that most people don't really count as activity.

View the full article

#36 Hologram

• 61 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

This is too much... I think I need to sit down.

Edited by Cerberus, 14 May 2012 - 08:54 PM.

• like x 1

#37 Snoopy

• 105 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

I wonder if nitric oxide also plays a protective role when you walk around. Not to mention common sense of better circulation. Bending over for long periods cannot be great for overall vascular networks...

#38 ergopharaoh

• 16 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

I'm sure it's been pointed out already, but this study presumes that you are sitting (abnormally, but in our parlance normally) in a 90 degree angle chair.

http://ergo.human.co...es/sitting.html

"Keegan's normal posture" - X-ray studies on 5 people lying on their sides (1955, 1960) show that stresses on the spine are most evenly distributed when legs are at 135-degrees from torso, i.e. 135-degrees hip angle and 45-degrees knee angle.

Posted Image

#39 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:35 AM

So much for those who have to commute in their cars for more than 2 hours per day. Gosh, I'm only 26 and I've spent a majority my life commuting if I added it up... Which is so sad. They should make a stand up, 4 wheel car.

No wonder I had more energy when I lived in Europe...

#40 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

What about those of us who do various forms of fidgeting while sitting, such as shaking our legs?

#41 avelez

• 25 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:12 AM

Read this article on the train one day on my way to my sitting nearly all-day desk job... Needless to say, it made me bursting with joy to be on my way to death.

#42 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:21 AM

Read this article on the train one day on my way to my sitting nearly all-day desk job... Needless to say, it made me bursting with joy to be on my way to death.

Hey now, you could definitely start a revolution in your work place and life by installing a stand-only desk. No excuses ; )

#43 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:16 PM

After I received this (and reading it on my stand-on desk !) I decided and went out for a nice fast-pace walk in the nature .......

Prolonged daily sitting linked to 3.8 percent of all-cause deaths

http://www.eurekaler...s-pds032316.php

#44 relax

• 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:17 PM

They should print this on pamphlets and spread in public transportation: young would be more eager to stand up to eldery :-D

On a serious note, that article is disturbing.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#45 nctr

• 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:20 PM

A lot of people in here suggest having a table that allows you to work on the computer while standing...are there any studies about the benefits of this?

It could be that the disadvantage of "sitting" is the disadvantage of "not moving", which would still be the case for a standing desk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users