Photo
- - - - -

Foods you consume that are highest in carbs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:32 AM

For anyone who considers themselves on a low carb diet. What Are the foods highest in carbs you consume? And in what quantity do you consume them? My own strategy is to consume foods which are the highest in carbs earliest in the day.

sweet potatoes-40 grams of carb per serving

bananas (I don't consume these the same day as sweet potatoes)-29 grams per serving

Avocados (depending on the size)-15-20 (I think?) grams per single avocado.

String beans-8 grams per serving.

Dark chocolate-2 grams per cube, so anywhere from 6-10 grams per serving, depending on how much I eat.

Tomato paste-6 grams carbs per serving (this one is difficult because I often have 2 servings at a time)

The rest of the food I consume through out the day and later in the day are very low in carbs, such as eggs, which typically contain 1-2 carbs per egg (I eat about 8-10 a day), cheese, -1 carb per serving, depending on what kind of cheese, butter, olive oil, coconut milk (2 grams per serving), shrimp, other kinds of fish, heavy cream, whey protein, spinach, kale, white mushrooms (all very low in carb). I try to eat the foods highest in protein and fat toward the end of the day and after work outs.

Feel free to comment on my strategy also.

Edited by TheFountain, 12 November 2010 - 11:34 AM.

#2 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:51 PM

For anyone who considers themselves on a low carb diet. What Are the foods highest in carbs you consume? And in what quantity do you consume them? My own strategy is to consume foods which are the highest in carbs earliest in the day.

bananas (I don't consume these the same day as sweet potatoes)-29 grams per serving

Dark chocolate-2 grams per cube, so anywhere from 6-10 grams per serving, depending on how much I eat.

Tomato paste-6 grams carbs per serving (this one is difficult because I often have 2 servings at a time)

The rest of the food I consume through out the day and later in the day are very low in carbs, such as eggs, which typically contain 1-2 carbs per egg (I eat about 8-10 a day), cheese, -1 carb per serving, depending on what kind of cheese, butter, olive oil, coconut milk (2 grams per serving), shrimp, other kinds of fish, heavy cream, whey protein, spinach, kale, white mushrooms (all very low in carb). I try to eat the foods highest in protein and fat toward the end of the day and after work outs.

My list is basically the same as your list, except I don't eat many bananas anymore (there is more potassium in the greens and sweet potatoes anyways). I would add that I like winter squash (spaghetti squash, acorn squash, and butternut squash) this time of year and it replaces sweet potatoes in many of my carb-heavy meals.

Off topic, but have you tried basque shepard's cheese? I found some at Trader Joes... it's very good and make with raw goat milk. :)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:00 PM

My list is basically the same as your list, except I don't eat many bananas anymore (there is more potassium in the greens and sweet potatoes anyways). I would add that I like winter squash (spaghetti squash, acorn squash, and butternut squash) this time of year and it replaces sweet potatoes in many of my carb-heavy meals.

Off topic, but have you tried basque shepard's cheese? I found some at Trader Joes... it's very good and make with raw goat milk. :)

I would say I eat maybe 3 bananas a week at the most, and only on days when I do not eat other high carb foods.

I've been eating a bit of raw cheddar from amish farms lately. Some of the eastern states sell them.

So what is your estimated carb intake daily? Mine is about 60-70 carbs. Some days lower.

Edited by TheFountain, 12 November 2010 - 11:01 PM.

#4 kenny001

• 63 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:59 AM

i eat banana much more, 1 for each day, and the sweet potato, but i do not like the dark choclate, i do not eat it. what about adding some potatos? i like it very much.

#5 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:53 PM

i eat banana much more, 1 for each day, and the sweet potato, but i do not like the dark choclate, i do not eat it. what about adding some potatos? i like it very much.

Sweet potatoes I think have a better overall profile than normal white potatoes. I have recently started drinking a glass of goat milk a day too (about 11 carbs per serving) and of course my berry consumption adds another 25 pre-workout carbs. Avocados are higher in carb than most vegetables with similar nutrient profile, they can be almost 20 grams of carb per single avocado depending on the size. I usually eat the medium/small ones though, so they end up being 12-15 grams of carbs.

#6 motif

• 107 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:11 AM

my strategy is simply to avoid all carbs with glycemic index higher then 55
meaning no potatoes, white rice, raisins, dates, watermellon etc.

#7 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:01 AM

To me that's not good enough. I worry about delayed insulin response. Just because it doesn't spike right away doesn't mean its not more of a gradual thing with the lower glycemic carbs.

#8 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:45 AM

To me that's not good enough. I worry about delayed insulin response. Just because it doesn't spike right away doesn't mean its not more of a gradual thing with the lower glycemic carbs.

Yeh this is useless, GI is bunk, and is drastically lowered by the presence of protein and fat in the stomach alongside the carbohydrates. Based on your strategy you should be avoiding carrots lol! GL is more relevant, and a consideration to what your eating with the carbs, and total carbs is most relevant anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users