Photo
- - - - -

NAC

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 Supierce

• 94 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:33 AM

I recently read that most NAC is derived from human hair (someone reported on iherb that they contacted LEF and LEF said their NAC is derived from human hair). I read most of the hair comes from China barber shops and salons. If this is true, could there be problems from hair dye and products / chemicals that people put on their hair ? Also, what about what people eat and prescribed drugs ( or illegal one's)  they may be taking, could this effect the hair or NAC product derived from the hair ?

This is one of those anecdotal rumors that manages to persist on some websites. NAC isn't derived from anything - it's synthesized it the lab.

Edited by Supierce, 23 July 2016 - 12:50 AM.

#32 John2009

• 110 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:59 PM

I know some NAC is made in a Lab but are you sure about all of it ? I have sent an email to LEF and will let you know their response. I found an article online linked below that  is about NAC being derived from human hair...

http://www.vrg.org/b...thers-hog-hair/

The article at the link above says they contacted the companies that make L-cytsteine and the manufacturers say most of it is drived form hair, human and animal. The reported market share for LAB fabricated NAC is only 10% due to higher cost. 

Edited by John2009, 23 July 2016 - 09:09 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Supierce

• 94 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 09:56 PM

I know some NAC is made in a Lab but are you sure about all of it ? I have sent an email to LEF and will let you know their response. I found an article online linked below that  is about NAC being derived from human hair...

http://www.vrg.org/b...thers-hog-hair/

The article at the link above says they contacted the companies that make L-cytsteine and the manufacturers say most of it is drived form hair, human and animal. The reported market share for LAB fabricated NAC is only 10% due to higher cost.

You may be right. Here's another link. Note that they have a financial stake in this and are mainly talking about Cysteine, not NAC, so I'll be interested to hear what you find out from LEF.

Edited by Supierce, 23 July 2016 - 10:03 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#34 John2009

• 110 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:27 PM

I just received a response from LEF via email and here is what they said ...

The starting material for the N-acetyl-L-cysteine is L-Cysteine HCl Monohydrate. The L-Cysteine HCl Monohydrate is derived from human hair.

So, I guess it is likely that most NAC supplements are indeed derived from human hair. It's probably a safe bet that most NAC supplements in a given price range are derived from human hair, with more expensive ones (like around 3 times more expensive) might be synthetic Lab made. Of course you would have to contact the manufacturer to be sure. I tend to think this is something most people do not know about since there does not seem to be much information online about it. This also makes me wonder how many other things there are like this out there we may be ingesting.

I realize it's not like you are actually ingesting the hair, but the thought of human hair in a vat with NAC being chemically extracted and then ingesting the NAC, is still repulsive to me, it probably would be to most people which is likely why it's not advertised. There are also the concerns like hair dye, etc., raised in my first post.   

Anyone know of any verified Lab manufactured synthetic NAC (non hair or animal derived) and prices ?

I have been using 56 grams of whey powder "designer whey" ( 36 grams protein content) everyday for awhile now. Does anyone know how this compares to around 600 MG of NAC as far as increasing Glutathione production goes ?

I also wonder how around 1 gram of Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) might compare as far as raising Glutathione. Are there any other options that are comparable with NAC ?

• Informative x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users