• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Which Choline source works more effectively/better? Alpha GPC/ALCAR?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Choline source works more effectively/better? Alpha GPC/ALCAR? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Which one works better?

1. Alpha GPC (4 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

2. ALCAR (5 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 iliketurtles

• 14 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:34 PM

I am looking for a choline source and I was wondering.. When it comes to taking a choline source for 'racetams, which one works better for memory, focusing, and cognitive abilities in general? And explain why also please, thank you!

#2 Guacamolium

• 747 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:29 AM

Alpha-GPC for me, but I try to take both.

ALCAR is awesome but EXTREMELY subtle.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ^ risetolower v

• 35 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:04 PM

Alpha GPC made me feel depressed and ALCAR gave me a subtle cognition-enhancing effect at first. ALCAR doesn't contain choline and its acetyl- group is used for more than just making acetylcholine.

#4 Sartac

• 80 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:18 PM

Great question! I take Alpha GPC on it's own due to perceived potency and desire to keep the list short. Not aware of them being mutually exclusive, and some may have better results by taking both.

Have also seen claims on M&M of tension headaches with ALCAR alone that were resolved by adding a choline source. A couple of threads off the top of Google:
http://www.mindandmu...showtopic=40699
http://www.mindandmu...showtopic=15598
I'm sure others here can give a theoretical report of why a choline source is or isn't necessary with ALCAR, and my apologies if such info has been posted. :cool:

Edit for this one I had read.. 'doh!
http://www.imminst.o...anisms-of-alcar
The other subjective experiences could've possibly been due to not enough ALCAR supplementation?

Edited by sartac, 15 January 2011 - 05:25 PM.

#5 caruga

• 514 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

I've never understood how anyone could take ALCAR as a choline source, particularly for cosupplementing with piracetam, without taking choline as well. I would have thought if anything it would deplete choline even more when it converts it into acetylcholine...

#6 caruga

• 514 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:00 PM

In fact, isn't "choline source" a misnomer in this case? It's acetylcholine that we're trying to increase, after all. Possibly a result of the term "cholinergic".

#7 zm3thod

• 143 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:39 AM

Alcar works better for me. I have no idea whether that is related to choline or not

#8 kikai93

• 244 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:05 AM

I am looking for a choline source and I was wondering.. When it comes to taking a choline source for 'racetams, which one works better for memory, focusing, and cognitive abilities in general? And explain why also please, thank you!

CDP Choline. With Alpha GPC I had issues with feeling fatigued/depressed. Not so much with CDP Choline, which also had its own subtle effects after about four weeks of use. In isolation I didn't particularly notice anything, but with l-tyrosine I noticed a subtle increase in the mood lifting properties of the tyrosine. Further experimentation revealed that other agents which can affect dopamine levels were similarly affected. ALCAR is useful, but not in isolation as a "choline source".

Edited by kikai93, 17 January 2011 - 11:10 AM.

#9 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:14 PM

This question really can't be answered. Each cholinergic is going to affect people differently, and achieve goals like memory enhancement and piracetam co-supplementation differently for everyone. ALCAR works great for me, while alpha GPC is unpleasant enough that I can't take it, unlike the probable majority. There's no such thing as one which is objectively better, even if we had more than very limited data available about how they actually work.

I suggest you do some reading in the back log here, since there are literally scores of threads in which people discuss how this class of substances affects them, and the replies you get by bringing it up again are not going to be very comprehensive.

For people confused about how ALCAR can act as an effective cosupplement for piracetam, please read the last link that sartac posted.

Edited by chrono, 18 January 2011 - 03:19 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 JellyRev

• 71 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:41 AM

Alpha GPC is boss, alcar is OK. CDP choline makes me depressed. Everyone is diff though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users