• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Molybdenite compared to Graphene

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:03 PM

Smaller and more energy-efficient electronic chips could be made using molybdenite. In an article appearing online January 30 in the journal Nature Nanotechnology (("Single-layer MoS2 transistors"), EPFL's Laboratory of Nanoscale Electronics and Structures (LANES) publishes a study showing that this material has distinct advantages over traditional silicon or graphene for use in electronics applications.

A discovery made at EPFL could play an important role in electronics, allowing us to make transistors that are smaller and more energy efficient. Research carried out in the Laboratory of Nanoscale Electronics and Structures (LANES) has revealed that molybdenite, or MoS2, is a very effective semiconductor. This mineral, which is abundant in nature, is often used as an element in steel alloys or as an additive in lubricants. But it had not yet been extensively studied for use in electronics.

Posted Image

Molybdenite is a two-dimensional material, very thin and easy to use in nanotechnology. It has real potential in the fabrication of very small transistors, light-emitting diodes (LEDs) and solar cells.

100,000 times less energy

"It's a two-dimensional material, very thin and easy to use in nanotechnology. It has real potential in the fabrication of very small transistors, light-emitting diodes (LEDs) and solar cells," says EPFL Professor Andras Kis, whose LANES colleagues M. Radisavljevic, Prof. Radenovic et M. Brivio worked with him on the study. He compares its advantages with two other materials: silicon, currently the primary component used in electronic and computer chips, and graphene, whose discovery in 2004 earned University of Manchester physicists André Geim and Konstantin Novoselov the 2010 Nobel Prize in Physics.

One of molybdenite's advantages is that it is less voluminous that silicon, which is a three-dimensional material. "In a 0.65-nanometer-thick sheet of MoS2, the electrons can move around as easily as in a 2-nanometer-thick sheet of silicon," explains Kis. "But it's not currently possible to fabricate a sheet of silicon as thin as a monolayer sheet of MoS2." Another advantage of molybdenite is that it can be used to make transistors that consume 100,000 times less energy in standby state than traditional silicon transistors. A sem-conductor with a "gap" must be used to turn a transistor on and off, and molybdenite's 1.8 electron-volt gap is ideal for this purpose.

Better than graphene

In solid-state physics, band theory is a way of representing the energy of electrons in a given material. In semi-conductors, electron-free spaces exist between these bands, the so-called "band gaps." If the gap is not too small or too large, certain electrons can hop across the gap. It thus offers a greater level of control over the electrical behavior of the material, which can be turned on and off easily.

The existence of this gap in molybdenite also gives it an advantage over graphene. Considered today by many scientists as the electronics material of the future, the "semi-metal" graphene doesn't have a gap, and it is very difficult to artificially reproduce one in the material.

source

Edited by brokenportal, 30 January 2011 - 07:28 PM.
by request

#2 valkyrie_ice

• 837 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:55 PM

One of molybdenite's advantages is that it is less voluminous that silicon, which is a three-dimensional material. "In a 0.65-nanometer-thick sheet of MoS2, the electrons can move around as easily as in a 2-nanometer-thick sheet of silicon," explains Kis. "But it's not currently possible to fabricate a sheet of silicon as thin as a monolayer sheet of MoS2." Another advantage of molybdenite is that it can be used to make transistors that consume 100,000 times less energy in standby state than traditional silicon transistors. A sem-conductor with a "gap" must be used to turn a transistor on and off, and molybdenite's 1.8 electron-volt gap is ideal for this purpose.

Better than graphene

In solid-state physics, band theory is a way of representing the energy of electrons in a given material. In semi-conductors, electron-free spaces exist between these bands, the so-called "band gaps." If the gap is not too small or too large, certain electrons can hop across the gap. It thus offers a greater level of control over the electrical behavior of the material, which can be turned on and off easily.

The existence of this gap in molybdenite also gives it an advantage over graphene. Considered today by many scientists as the electronics material of the future, the "semi-metal" graphene doesn't have a gap, and it is very difficult to artificially reproduce one in the material.

source

While Graphene has a lot more uses than just electronics, I do have to admit that the "band gap" problem is the biggest one facing graphene based computers. It HAS been "solved" in a couple of ways, but it's still problematic due to the very low values these solutions have achieved. I have been looking for a possible solution in the various articles I read, but it was looking like we might be stuck with silicone in part for the next few years.

THIS however makes me think it's a lot more likely we will see entirely new chip making processes which use a combo of CNT Graphene and Moly as well as some far more rapid than expected development in Quantum computers. With Graphene's usefulness in making spintronic devices, we might see a rather explosive few years of computer development and with the expanding abilities to make it in bulk (a 40 inch diagonal pure sheet latest headline) we're going to start to see some of it's use as a building material. Think about a skyscraper built with graphene giders stronger than steel but 95% open space, lifted and put in place with Quadcopter drones, each part tied into a building wide network that is built right into the individual beams, and then sheathed in a casing of diamond surfaced with MEMs that can change the buildings albedo while maximizing solar energy capture, and which can totally isolate the interior environment from the ambient, while still providing the appearance of floor to ceiling glass from the inside, or a building wide display from the outside? By the end of the decade it could happen.

#3 Reno

• Topic Starter
  • 584 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

THIS however makes me think it's a lot more likely we will see entirely new chip making processes which use a combo of CNT Graphene and Moly as well as some far more rapid than expected development in Quantum computers. With Graphene's usefulness in making spintronic devices, we might see a rather explosive few years of computer development and with the expanding abilities to make it in bulk (a 40 inch diagonal pure sheet latest headline) we're going to start to see some of it's use as a building material. Think about a skyscraper built with graphene giders stronger than steel but 95% open space, lifted and put in place with Quadcopter drones, each part tied into a building wide network that is built right into the individual beams, and then sheathed in a casing of diamond surfaced with MEMs that can change the buildings albedo while maximizing solar energy capture, and which can totally isolate the interior environment from the ambient, while still providing the appearance of floor to ceiling glass from the inside, or a building wide display from the outside? By the end of the decade it could happen.

It probably will happen, but not in the next ten years. All of these processes are experimental at the moment. Each one will be incorporated on it's own merit, and at it's own pace. I don't see an architect using all three of these breakthroughs on the same project anytime soon. I'd say at best, maybe 15-20 years.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 valkyrie_ice

• 837 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:19 PM

It probably will happen, but not in the next ten years. All of these processes are experimental at the moment. Each one will be incorporated on it's own merit, and at it's own pace. I don't see an architect using all three of these breakthroughs on the same project anytime soon. I'd say at best, maybe 15-20 years.

Again, Reno, WERE THIS THE 90'S I'd agree. What you are overlooking is the speed with which developments are happening, and the strong commercial NEED to get this stuff to market ASAP. For example, right after this discovery came this one: http://nextbigfuture...1000-times.html

Yeah, that's right, they FIXED THE BAND GAP PROBLEM WITH GRAPHENE. A 1000x improvement in band gap makes for one that equals or exceeds silicon, all of which illustrates that companies DON'T HAVE THE LEISURE to spend 15 years in development because 15 years from now WE WILL HAVE MOVED ON.

I don't expect to see this perfected in the next two to three years, but I do expect to see massive efforts to make this commercial as fast as possible. Any company that deliberately engages in "slow downs" are going to be eaten alive by the all the new companies that are likely to arise. Intel might have been able to afford to "slow things down" when it was the overwhelming majority chip maker, but do you really see HTC deciding it's going to not use a technological innovation just because it would "hurt Intel's market domination"? Apple can't even trust foxconn not to leak iPhone prototypes.

You base your pessimism on the old reality that chip design and manufacture was a "US DOMINATED" industry, and that what worked then will work now. But it isn't a US industry these days, it's all Taiwanese or Chinese. These companies are looking at two choices, evolve FAST or DIE. They are hypercompetitive, and as more and more "design" is able to be done by smaller groups, and more and more manufacturing becomes automated and additive, you are going to see a massive change not only in chip making and design, but in a lot of manufacturing fields. These people aren't going to sacrifice innovation to protect market share, because they are not "IN" the market, they just MAKE THINGS FOR THOSE WHO ARE. Their customer's success or failure means nothing to them so long as they got paid for their manufacturing. They are also the majority of the funding for all these breakthroughs with graphene and Quantum Dots, and Spintronics, and so on. They are not "old companies resting on their laurels" like Intel, or SONY, or Apple. They are rabid dogs willing to eat anyone to make things faster, cheaper, and more powerful.

And ain't NONE OF IT going be by choice. It's going to be desperation to survive in a collapsing material economy.

#5 Reno

• Topic Starter
  • 584 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:03 PM

Sure, for the right amount of money each one of these advancements will be available. It'll take years for these sorts of breakthroughs to become used in the mainstream, and even more time before they're used congruently. Machines and companies may adapt at a fast pace, but people certainly do not. At least, not yet.

#6 valkyrie_ice

• 837 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:43 PM

Sure, for the right amount of money each one of these advancements will be available. It'll take years for these sorts of breakthroughs to become used in the mainstream, and even more time before they're used congruently. Machines and companies may adapt at a fast pace, but people certainly do not. At least, not yet.

Really? Had you even heard of an iPad before last year? I certainly had. Tablet computing has been the graveyard of numerous tech companies. I've watched GRiD die, worked for SONY when it tried making a tablet before giving up. Watched IBM make an attempt before being bought out by Lenovo. It even cost Microsoft a fortune only to fail. No-one expected the iPad to do any better.

Funny, now less than a year later, there's already "iPad killers" and even an iPad2. And they can't make them fast enough. That's pretty effing fast adaptation there in my book.

#7 Reno

• Topic Starter
  • 584 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:41 AM

Really? Had you even heard of an iPad before last year? I certainly had. Tablet computing has been the graveyard of numerous tech companies. I've watched GRiD die, worked for SONY when it tried making a tablet before giving up. Watched IBM make an attempt before being bought out by Lenovo. It even cost Microsoft a fortune only to fail. No-one expected the iPad to do any better.

Funny, now less than a year later, there's already "iPad killers" and even an iPad2. And they can't make them fast enough. That's pretty effing fast adaptation there in my book.

Hey val, send me an instant message on yim or msn.

Edited by Reno, 10 February 2011 - 03:54 AM.

#8 valkyrie_ice

• 837 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:17 PM

Hey val, send me an instant message on yim or msn.

my msn is lsmcgill at hotmail dot com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users