Adderall xr stack (please critique)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rimas

• 17 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:14 PM

My stack consists of the following:

AM - adderall Xr 20 mg, celestrus paniculatus, rhodiola rosea, holy basil

PM - schizandra/bacopa combo, I also take magnesium before bed.

My goal is to achieve a balanced mind and body after my prescription adderall xr leaves my system (therapeautic effects). I would also like to know if anyone else uses any of the herbs I have mentioned with adderall xr.

Thank you!

#2 aLurker

• 715 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:04 PM

My stack consists of the following:

AM - adderall Xr 20 mg, celestrus paniculatus, rhodiola rosea, holy basil

PM - schizandra/bacopa combo, I also take magnesium before bed.

My goal is to achieve a balanced mind and body after my prescription adderall xr leaves my system (therapeautic effects). I would also like to know if anyone else uses any of the herbs I have mentioned with adderall xr.

Thank you!

Hi.
Hard to make any predictions here. The one thing I do recommend is that you drop the rhodiola since it inhibits MAO A and B, which could be a problem with the adderall. Bacopa has more evidence behind it than most herbs but I and others feel it induces some fatigue so watch out for that. The rest of the herbs have a questionable amount of evidence behind them at the moment. The magnesium is probably a good idea in reasonable doses.

But yeah... the only concrete advice you'll get from me is to skip the rhodiola. Not so sure about anything else and I doubt anyone else is either.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 Rimas

• Topic Starter
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:08 PM

Thank you for your input! I usually take the rhodiola when I am coming off of the adderall xr, which happens around 7:00Pm. I find that it helps me calm down and brings me back to base level fairly quickly. I am thinking about taking the rhodiola on days that I am not taking adderall. I take the Bacopa at night. The bacopa seems to help deepen my sleep. I have noticed that it seems to bring out my sense of humor more. The adderall seems to repress this for some reason. Anyway, thank you for your help! Does any one else have any experience with these herbs in combination with adderall xr?

#4 Rimas

• Topic Starter
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:05 AM

*Update*
I have decided that it is more effective to take adderall with either L-theanine or Bacopa duringthe day. I find taking ashwagandha, celastrus paniculatus, rhodiola rosea,schizandra berry in the evening is effective.

*These experiences are subjective*
Adderall+Bacopa = This makes for a great balance, I feel the bacopa makes my perception of time dialated. I feel more fluent in verbal comminication and sharper thoughts. I liken this experience to vinpocetine and lecithin. The bacopa softens the edges of the adderall and balances the anxiety and memory fog.

Adderall+L-theanine = This also makes for a great balance with adderall. I feel the l-theaninw softens the stimulation and helps one relax with ease. I have also noticed I am able to speak and think clearer. The overstimulation and anxiety is greatly reduced. I have noticed that this combo is great for engaging in social settings. This combination also reduces the comedown.

More experiences to come. Please feel free to share your own.
Thank you!

#5 Rimas

• Topic Starter
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:21 AM

Bump!

#6 Delta Gamma

• 265 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:06 AM

You might want to do some reading on this thread:
http://www.longecity...436#entry454436

Bacopa may help with both the anxiety produced by amphetamines as well as upregulates superoxide dismutase, which could help prevent some of the potential neurotoxic effects.

Gingko is a vasodilator, so if you get ice cold hands and feet it may be right for you.

#7 Cephalon

• 497 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:21 AM

Hi Rimas,

I want to join aLurker's position about the rhodiola. You should drop it. You can implement it into your regime as soon as you stop the Adderall. Since Adderall partly works by releasing Dopamin and Noradrenaline, Rhodiola partly works by inhibiting the reuptake of NO and Dopamine you are at a higher risk for cardiac problems.

The better effects you experiance from Adderall and Bacopa may have to do with a similar process. While Rhodiola elevates the brain concentration of Noradrenaline(1), Bacopa is thought to decrease brain Noradrenaline concentration (2) but to elevate Dopamine level (2). So with the Adderall + Bacopa combination you may achieve a state of high Dopamine and lower Noradrenaline levels.
By acting as a GABA A agonist Bacopa is responsible for the anti anxity effect you enjoy.

Theanine as a positive allosteric modulator of the GABA A receptor works through similar pathways. Theanine was also found to elevate brain Dopamine levels (3).

You see there are many pathways involved when taking multiple neuroactive drugs. There will of curse be hundrets of more mechanism going on when combining those supplements/ drugs. But since I'm a layman I can not point those out unfortunately. I'm sure that there is someone on this forum who can bring a bit light in the darkness.

(1) D. van Diermena, A. Marstona, J. Bravob, M. Reistb, P.-A. Carruptb, K. Hostettmanna "Monoamine oxidase inhibition by Rhodiola rosea L. roots" Ethnopharmacological communication 2008

(2) S. Lohidasan, A. R Paradkar, K. R Mahadik "Nootropic activity of lipid-based extract of Bacopa monniera Linn. compared with traditional preparation and extracts"j pharm pharmacol 61(11):1537-44 (2009)

(3) Nathan P, Lu K, Gray M, Oliver C (2006). "The neuropharmacology of L-theanine(N-ethyl-L-glutamine): a possible neuroprotective and cognitive enhancing agent". J Herb Pharmacother 6 (2): 21–30. doi:10.1300/J157v06n02_02. PMID 17182482.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#8 Rimas

• Topic Starter
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:05 PM

Thank you so much Cephalon and Delta Gamma! I really appreciate your posts! Thanks to both of you!

I have decided to drop the rhodiola out of my combo. I feel that if I were to take rhodiola, I should take when I discontinue adderall.

Bacopa seems to be helping me when combined with adderall. I understand that bacopa decreases noradrenaline, and increases dopamine. I also understand that it increases an important antioxidant in the brain. Would the bacopa+adderall be the best bet?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users