Photo

Please help: City Planning

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:25 PM

I like the concept of blue turtle mascot. We can't look strange with such a symbol.

#32 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

Isn't this what our city concept was supposed to kind-of look like (but of course more modern, less obnoxious colors, and such things). Now if we only had the resources of Disney :sad: . I still think we should pursue the city graphic concept for LongeCity.

#33 biomata

• 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

So is anything actually happening with Longecity, or is all the focus being spent on what the website should look like? Is there any actual leadership in this group or has it become abandoned for other projects? I was really interested in the things Longecity stood for but it feels like not many others are taking it quite seriously.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#34 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

So is anything actually happening with Longecity, or is all the focus being spent on what the website should look like? Is there any actual leadership in this group or has it become abandoned for other projects? I was really interested in the things Longecity stood for but it feels like not many others are taking it quite seriously.

Overall, every year there is a balance to be struck between marketing and recruitment (like this city planning and the logo contest), raising money, media, and funding projects/research. Many orgs involved in life extension have reached a limit to what they can do with current personnel and funds. Getting more eye-balls/attention is important for getting more funds.

The projects sections has a list of bleeding edge research LongeCity has funded in recent years including ongoing research and current plans in development.

The project ideas section has a ton of new things members have suggested.

LongeCity crowd funded a life extension documentary, a successful cryonics charity case, and a multi-vitamin.

In fact, it is pretty amazing what we have been able to do (including running a very active forum) with very few people in management roles.

We really could use more people to help out. What talents do you have biomata? We could use an extra hand.

#35 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

Someone has stepped forward with an offer to construct the cityscape in flash. His website looks like what I had kind-of envisioned for the LongeCity "city". It loads quick. It looks/feeels "clean". The buildings are modern. It has motion and interactivity.

Edited by Mind, 03 March 2013 - 05:48 PM.

#36 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

This project was originally shopped as a pixel art project, but I have no qualms about using flash. There are a lot of neat/smart flash websites out there on the interwebs.

#37 donnie_d

• 23 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:42 AM

Someone has stepped forward with an offer to construct the cityscape in flash. His website looks like what I had kind-of envisioned for the LongeCity "city". It loads quick. It looks/feeels "clean". The buildings are modern. It has motion and interactivity.

looks and feels very nice, not so fast to start-up (I am from Aus tho) but once up it felt seamless

#38 YOLF

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:55 AM

I'm talking to Alasuya Lushanova about the city planning project. We're working on some orbital like designs and he's a very talented illustrator. I figured we'd go one step further on the city planning idea. My render at the bottom is obviously very hasty, I'm imagining a lush walled orbital with city blocks and set on mounds of earth and such. Then we'll (by we I mean someone who does web design, not me (: ) layer in some marker flags like on google maps or such (lots of free ones in the open icon library) whenever we want to add a subforum.

Not a pillar, It's a view of an orbital and we'll use a push transition on it similar to what is being used at www.cryonics.org for when it moves from Community to Action! etc. forums.  I've attached a hastily constructed example and put a link to the orbitals that are inspiring the project. What kind of 3D architecture do you make? I'd like to see what you can do. Though I was hoping this could build a bridge to the DAZ3D web community and user base (I'm thinking I'll release the orbital in their store that will load with other content items sold there and brand it as LongeCity Orbital, "a habitat that grew from the present web community of LongeCity.org").

Orbitals:

http://en.wikipedia....l_(The_Culture)

The forum is actually several forums, so this would give each one it's own page on the carousel. 

Community:

http://www.longecity.../288-community/

Action!:

http://www.longecity...rum/346-action/

BioScience etc:

http://www.longecity...alth-nutrition/

Science and Tech:

http://www.longecity...nce-technology/

Round Table:

http://www.longecity...ble-discussion/

Isn't this what our city concept was supposed to kind-of look like (but of course more modern, less obnoxious colors, and such things). Now if we only had the resources of Disney :sad: . I still think we should pursue the city graphic concept for LongeCity.

That's what I'm planning on making it look similar to (screenshot below so you don't have to load it), but futury and on a spinning orbital.

Attached Files

Edited by cryonicsculture, 09 April 2014 - 06:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users