• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:10 PM

As a promo effort for the migration, I was looking at
http://www.istockpho...ld-business.php
or
http://www.istockpho...loring-city.php

If someone here can do better - great!
But if we get these, could someone help with inserting titles/captions?

#2 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:02 PM

could be done in cinema4d, also with caption as buildings.

#3 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:30 PM

could be done in cinema4d, also with caption as buildings.

Can you explain? Can you make one yourself or would you like us to buy one of the above and add text?

#4 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:00 AM

I thought about the first one, that shouldn't be too hard. Yes i could probably do it, given some time, i'm not an experienced c4d user. Would you want the global map + caption or just the wording?

#5 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:47 AM

If you could do one yourself, that would be fabulous! Maybe the 'growing city' is easier to do?

#6 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:51 PM

I'll try it, let's see how far it get.
  • like x 1

#7 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:10 PM

I like the first one. Now does the city theme go together with a line like, "LongeCity - taking longevity to another level". In this context here now Im thinking it might not. Or here is another way of putting it, is everybody else on board with "Longecity" taking on the meaning of unlimited lifespans? "Im not after longevity, Im after longecity."

#8 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:56 AM

I would need now a font. Should i go with the current one?

#9 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:43 PM

well, can't complain about having the last word on this, but at least a short notice if this is still alive would be appreciated.

#10 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:35 PM

Sure, we are waiting with baited breath. Choose your preferred font

suggested caption

A Forum...
A Community...
A City...
for unlimited lifespans...
(crescendo of keywords taken from our forum headings: Bioscience, Careers, Cryonics, Lifestyle, Nootropics, Politics, Philosophy, etc )
Lets build...
LONGECITY !
www.longecity.org

#11 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:40 AM

I know i'm taking my time on this, but i like to try new things and experiment, so please bear with me.
  • like x 2

#12 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:37 AM

Ok, here is the animation, without text/audio: http://sendspace.com/file/cd1qft
(alternatively, you can watch it in lower quality on vimeo.com/21795730, pass is Longecity).
  • like x 3

#13 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:23 AM

Ok, you can let go of your breath now :).
Come on guys, you don't have to like it and withal the branding contention, but as you can see this was a lot of work. At least a few comments or words of critique in response go a long way in motivating volunteer contributions.

#14 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:33 PM

Ok feedback

Firstly: its is amazing and very cool! Thats my main comment and the following are some hopefully constructive suggestions for improvement:

1) the main bugbear to me are the cuts, esp, the first two (4th & 7th second). If you look at the templates, I think they work better in conveying an organically 'growing' city' because although the 'camera angle' may swivel, there is a constant look at the emerging object.

2) the buildings look quite different after the cut at 12, less blurry and darker. It would be better to keep them consistent.

3) at the very beginning, the buildings look very 'bricky' (LEGO style) and less like houses. The above templates have the same problem, but solve it by adding spires and antennas on top, maybe that would work here as well.

4) the final Longecity script looks very cool, but we'd have to decide, collectively that this is what we are going for (differently styled O)and then apply it across the site for consistency.

5) the zooms are a bit too quick for me.

6) I think integrating the text is really important. Only then can we see if the design conveys the message effectively. It should be part of the art, not an adjunct.

Again, great work okok! We might well use this in some fashion already, but if you wanted to improve it further, that would be absolutely wonderful!

#15 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:55 PM

Great, thanks! I didn't want to just copy the istock clips and tried to liven it up a bit. So while at it, i also thought what the heck and went with the font and möbius-style o as design choice/concepts. If you decide to give it a go, it's probably best to wait for a consensus on these.

#16 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:50 PM

I like the effect of adding something distinctive to the word - in this case, the "O". Usually, a distinctive letter/trait should carry some meaning. If it can be easily discerned (or explained) to most people that it is a mobius-style (read infinite) "O", then I would stick with it. It looks cool.

Edited by Mind, 09 April 2011 - 12:51 PM.

#17 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:32 AM

An idea would be to slowly animate the möbius-"O" when used as a web logo.

#18 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:48 PM

Wow that looks great. This is the kind of thing that some good distinct repeated audio pronunciation of the word Longecity might help close the gap in questions over what the pronunciation might be. I think the O works like that too, and I like the idea of it because I think highlighting the O creates more of an option to consider working the logo into it too. I think its 90% there too and that a little adjusting can really get it to shine.

#19 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:15 PM

An idea would be to slowly animate the möbius-"O" when used as a web logo.

Do you have any further ideas, ways to work this all in together, etc? How do you suggest we go about getting the whole web pages packaging done? There is the contest for instance: http://www.longecity...design-contest/

#20 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:18 PM

Yes, i made an animated logo version of the attached, it's not finished, as there was no feedback... As i mentioned, for this to work there should be some coordination - i have no idea what the contest design will look like.

Attached Files

Edited by okok, 05 July 2011 - 08:20 PM.

• like x 1

#21 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:15 PM

Could you put the logo in place of the O, with a thin circle around it?
Could you also add some text? If we can get this seconded then I suggest the following text:
"Longecity, Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans. Longecity is a diverse and bustling workplace, a website, an online forum, an affiliate aggregator, a project sponsor, taking on projects and helping with others. This is where jobs, ideas, projects, discussion and everything related to unlimited lifespans converge, like a City.
Longecity, we are the new longevity. "

Is anybody willing to record this to voice if we agree on it? If not I can find somebody. I think this will make a great ad. We will need the final product approved too but I think we can get that.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Commission

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users