Photo
- - - - -

Enterococcus Faecalis TH10 Dangerous?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 scap

• 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:54 PM

There seems to be a dispute whether or not Enterococcus Faecalis is a dangerous probiotic to be taken, however, Dr. Ohirras has won some pretty prestigious awards as has Threelac yet they both contain this. Is it possible that when in the intestines it is beneficail? Can anyone shed some light on this

#2 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:58 PM

There seems to be a dispute whether or not Enterococcus Faecalis is a dangerous probiotic to be taken, however, Dr. Ohirras has won some pretty prestigious awards as has Threelac yet they both contain this. Is it possible that when in the intestines it is beneficail? Can anyone shed some light on this

there are many many types of Enterococcus Faecalis... its likely some are probiotic and some pathogenic, as it is with most bacteria. ex: E. coli O157:H7 & E. coli Nissle 1917

Edited by ajnast4r, 10 February 2011 - 11:00 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:02 PM

I would avoid it.

I had a UTI involving Enterococcus Faecalis and it was very difficult to get rid of because of its antibiotic resistence. UTIs are noted as a side-effect of taking threelac or fivelac.

One of the few drugs which treats Enterococcus Faecalis is Macrobid (Nitrofurantoin). I was prescribed this drug and got serious symptoms of neuropathy, including muscle weakness. It was so serious that it was diagnosed as Guillian Barre syndrome, but I now believe it was the Macrobid, because symptoms started 3 days after I began taking that drug.

In WARNINGS in the prescribing information for Macrobid it says:

Peripheral neuropathy, which may become severe or irreversible, has occurred. Fatalities have been reported. Conditions such as renal impairment (creatinine clearance under 60 mL per minute or clinically significant elevated serum creatinine), anemia, diabetes mellitus, electrolyte imbalance, vitamin B deficiency, and debilitating disease may enhance the occurrence of peripheral neuropathy. Patients receiving long-term therapy should be monitored periodically for changes in renal function.

http://www.drugs.com/pro/macrobid.html

Enterococcus Faecalis has also been found to be involved in spreading antibiotic resistance between bacteria. It does not seem to be a good thing to have around.

#4 sdxl

• 391 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:37 PM

Threelac doesn't list a strain. It's likely a different one than the one in Ohirra's. Enterococcus faecalis can cause infections. Even if the strains are "safe", they could exchange genetic material with other bacteria and cause problems that way. Unless there is solid evidence that the strain you want to take doesn't have unwanted properties, I would avoid this species as a probiotic.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:59 PM

for whats its worth i would avoid it as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users