Photo
- - - - -

Multivitamin-taking every other day

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 triplecrown

• 98 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:09 PM

Just thought I would ask if anybody takes their multi every other day. Right now I eat a pretty good diet, but would like to cover what may be left out by taking a good multi. Is this an okay, or would you constantly be throwing off your bodies homeostasis by not take it daily? And this same question applies to other supplements as well such as vitamin c, Fish oil,vitamin d, carnosine, alcar etc. should you take breaks or cycle them.

Thanks for your time

#2 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:19 PM

essential micronutrients dont need breaks... you are better off taking a half or quarter dose on a daily basis.
  • Disagree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:31 AM

essential micronutrients dont need breaks... you are better off taking a half or quarter dose on a daily basis.

You'd think so, but that's also what we thought about things like protein, and now we know that eating every other day actually provides a lot of health benefits.

So the question actually seems like a valid one to me. And I don't have the answer.

But it does bring up another interesting question: if one was to do alternate-day fasting, should vitamins or other supplements be taken or avoided on the fast days?
  • like x 2

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:22 AM

We didn't evolve consuming the RDA of all micronutrients on a daily basis. We got them where and when we might. As a result, we evolved storage mechanisms that were sufficient to keep us alive until we next encountered a source of the micronutrient in question. I don't think that we need to take breaks from RDA-ish doses of micronutrients, and I don't think it's particularly harmful to take them intermittently.
  • like x 3

#5 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:38 PM

I don't think that we need to take breaks from RDA-ish doses of micronutrients, and I don't think it's particularly harmful to take them intermittently.

You don't think so, but are there any studies about it?

Guesses often prove to be incorrect in these situations.

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:03 AM

I don't think that we need to take breaks from RDA-ish doses of micronutrients, and I don't think it's particularly harmful to take them intermittently.

You don't think so, but are there any studies about it?

Guesses often prove to be incorrect in these situations.

It's not a random guess. The first sentence of my post was the rationale for it not being particularly harmful to take them intermittently. There are studies showing positive health effects in long term users of multivitamins. I suppose one could argue that they would be even healthier still if they took breaks. You could look for studies to that effect; I'm not aware of such.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Benedictus

• 60 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:49 PM

okay, or would you constantly be throwing off your bodies homeostasis by not take it daily?

If our body would be throwing off some homeostasis every chance it gets due to not supplying it any food sources, we'd be in big trouble as a species. I don't think there's even ONE species for which this is the case. Of course, you can take just one multivitamin every week if you prefer. Manufacturers and suppliers don't want you to, because it would mean they sell less.

Consider all your supplementary intake as just that; supplementary! Then it's quite obvious that each and every microgram you add to your body is beneficial, if the body has a positive use for it.
I usually tend to underdose heavily from any prescribed dosing, if only for the simple reason that my body wasn't used to getting ANY supplements for a very long time. It's not like people in places where they hardly eat any food at all are dying because of not taking any supplements. The main source should always be what you eat. Varies a lot, in nature, by season and by location. As should your supplementation.

Edited by Benedictus, 25 February 2011 - 12:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users