Photo
- - - - -

Help me be prescribed Modafinil in Australia

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Namkcalb

• 30 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:57 PM

I think Modafinil would be of benefit to me, but I've heard Australian doctors usually only prescribe it for narcolepsy.

I have dyspraxia (I get tired easily, sometimes I have no energy at all, amongst other things) and I have been diagnosed with ADHD but have not responded to treatment. Sometimes I feel sleepy during the day, despite sleeping for 7 and a half hours.

What approach would you recommend get a prescription for Modafinil, I definately don't have narcolepsy and I'm unwilling to lie.

ie. What kind of doctor should I see initially, how should I frame my request etc.

P.S. I know my title is very awkward, but if I write getting modafinil, it'll be buried in the sources forum.

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:33 PM

I think Modafinil would be of benefit to me, but I've heard Australian doctors usually only prescribe it for narcolepsy.

I have dyspraxia (I get tired easily, sometimes I have no energy at all, amongst other things) and I have been diagnosed with ADHD but have not responded to treatment. Sometimes I feel sleepy during the day, despite sleeping for 7 and a half hours.

What approach would you recommend get a prescription for Modafinil, I definately don't have narcolepsy and I'm unwilling to lie.

ie. What kind of doctor should I see initially, how should I frame my request etc.

P.S. I know my title is very awkward, but if I write getting modafinil, it'll be buried in the sources forum.

A neuroligist may be helpful. Ideally he would order a day-time sleep study, and if he found abnormally short sleep latency or some other condition, he would prescribe provigil or nuvigil forms of the drug. If you suffer excessive daytime drowsiness for whatever reason, it could qualify you, and he may be willing to write the prescription without the study.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 VoidPointer

• 123 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:03 PM

If you did not respond to the usual ADD meds, what makes you think that you will respond better to Modafinil? It has been compared directly against stims and did no better.

#4 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:02 AM

If you did not respond to the usual ADD meds, what makes you think that you will respond better to Modafinil? It has been compared directly against stims and did no better.

It works better than strattera or adderall for narcolepsy, and for daytime drowsiness without the extreme symptoms of narcolepsy. There is less potential for abuse, as you cannot get manically high from it (at least not without overdosing.) Nor does tolerance develop. Its mechanism of action is different, too.

#5 VoidPointer

• 123 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:28 AM

It works better than strattera or adderall for narcolepsy, and for daytime drowsiness without the extreme symptoms of narcolepsy. There is less potential for abuse, as you cannot get manically high from it (at least not without overdosing.) Nor does tolerance develop. Its mechanism of action is different, too.

So you are saying there are no tolerance issues with Modafinil?? Really? More than one member here has complained of tolerance, and some members have taken up to 800 mg per day.

#6 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:37 AM

So you are saying there are no tolerance issues with Modafinil?? Really? More than one member here has complained of tolerance, and some members have taken up to 800 mg per day.

Used at a reasonable dose and schedule tolerance? It is prescribed at 100 and 200 mg. Tolerance is not described in the medical literature or in any studies I can find. A Google search Modafiinal/Provigil for tolerance predominantly links to this forum.

I surmise that very large doses taken too frequently lead to extreme sleep deprivation, which presents as tolerance.

#7 Namkcalb

• Topic Starter
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:07 PM

A neuroligist may be helpful. Ideally he would order a day-time sleep study, and if he found abnormally short sleep latency or some other condition, he would prescribe provigil or nuvigil forms of the drug. If you suffer excessive daytime drowsiness for whatever reason, it could qualify you, and he may be willing to write the prescription without the study.

Thank you for the advice,

So what you are suggesting is that I go to a doctor and tell them that I am drowsy and sleepy during the day, that its been a long term thing, and that I'ld like an appointment with a Neuroligist.

Then I should tell the Neurogist this, along with details about my dyspraxia and 'adhd'

I thought the mechanism was different, the ADD meds stimulate a centre usually understimilated in ADD'ers brains, whereas Modafinil affects the tiredness centres. I'm thinking that my poor concentration may just be due to my poor energy.

#8 Namkcalb

• Topic Starter
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:55 AM

I'm BUMPing this so that more Australians can see it.

#9 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:55 AM

Down rate this comment if you wish, but you should lie. The only reason I say this is that doctors generally aren't as savvy about medical literature than people who actually seriously read about these things. Therefore, lying may be your best option to obtain a prescription. Short of lying, I would suggest giving your doctor some literature about the safety and efficacy of modafinil, and hoping he'll agree. Also, there are forums with doctors who are more progressive in their practices and who may be willing to prescribe modafinil to you. If you could get into contact with such a doctor who happens to be in your general area, that may work.

#10 Namkcalb

• Topic Starter
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:28 AM

Down rate this comment if you wish, but you should lie. The only reason I say this is that doctors generally aren't as savvy about medical literature than people who actually seriously read about these things. Therefore, lying may be your best option to obtain a prescription. Short of lying, I would suggest giving your doctor some literature about the safety and efficacy of modafinil, and hoping he'll agree. Also, there are forums with doctors who are more progressive in their practices and who may be willing to prescribe modafinil to you. If you could get into contact with such a doctor who happens to be in your general area, that may work.

You are right, after all, it's us who has to put the stuff in our bodies.

I genuinely have significant daytime drowsiness, so I'm hoping this'll be enough. I've done some research, and here are the prescription criteria http://www.medicarea...application.pdf I'm really afraid I won't meet them.

Initial treatment, by a qualified sleep medicine practitioner or neurologist, of patients with narcolepsy where:
(i) therapy with dexamphetamine sulfate poses an unacceptable medical risk; or
(ii) intolerance to dexamphetamine sulfate of a severity necessitating treatment withdrawal develops.

The presence of any 1 of the following indicates treatment with dexamphetamine sulfate poses an unacceptable medical risk:
(a) a psychiatric disorder;
(b) a cardiovascular disorder;
© a history of substance abuse;
(d) glaucoma;
(e) any other absolute contraindication to dexamphetamine sulfate as specified in the TGA-approved Product Information.

Patients must meet the following definition of narcolepsy:
Excessive daytime sleepiness, recurrent naps or lapses into sleep occurring almost daily for at least 3 months and:
(i) a definite history of cataplexy;
or
a mean sleep latency less than or equal to 10 minutes on a Multiple Sleep Latency Test (MSLT). The MSLT must be preceded by nocturnal polysomnography. Sleep prior to the MSLT must be at least 6 hours in duration;
or
an electroencephalographic (EEG) recording showing the pathologically rapid development of REM sleep; and
(ii) absence of any medical or psychiatric disorder that could otherwise account for the hypersomnia.

The authority application must be made in writing and must include the following:
(a) a completed authority prescription form; and
(b) a completed Modafinil (Modavigil) PBS Authority Application for Use in the Treatment of Narcolepsy - Supporting Information Form [www.medicareaustralia.gov.au]; and
© details of the contraindication or intolerance to dexamphetamine sulfate; and
(d) either:
(i) the result and date of the polysomnography test and MSLT conducted by, or under the supervision of, a qualified sleep medicine practitioner; or
(ii) the result and date of the EEG, conducted by, or under the supervision of, a neurologist.

The polysomnography, MSLT or EEG test reports must be provided with the authority application.

Edited by Namkcalb, 02 April 2011 - 04:39 AM.

#11 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:42 AM

Why not just buy it online? Surely it's cheaper.

#12 Namkcalb

• Topic Starter
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:42 AM

Why not just buy it online? Surely it's cheaper.

Unfortunately Australia is very difficult to import things into. :blink:

#13 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:34 AM

I'm not too sure about that. I live here and I've had no problems.

#14 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:35 AM

Our tga allows personal import too. So it's not that bad.

#15 Namkcalb

• Topic Starter
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:07 PM

Our tga allows personal import too. So it's not that bad.

Seriously? Even without a prescription?

#16 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:36 PM

Yes, yes. But don't abuse it. Make sure you know the risks involved in what you are doing so that you can properly weigh the cost of the opportunity.

#17 John Barleycorn

• 142 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:42 AM

Seriously? Even without a prescription?

Get yourself over to the Aus&NZ forum and see what I have posted re customs vs TGA regulations, in theory and in practice. I seriously doubt that the TGA approves of purchase of prescription meds without a prescription, but then I don't really give a flying fig what the TGA thinks. It is customs (including quarantine) that you ought to be most worried about.

#18 Heinstein

• 44 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:06 AM

I too was thinking about getting modafinil and Piracetam in Australia. Looks like Modafinil is hard to get here. I don't want lie to the doctor either. I hope piracetam isn't as hard to obtain. I don't understand why so many people smoke cigarrete/weed to help them "study" when there are more effective and safer nootropics out there like piracetam.

#19 Moddy2012

• 83 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:18 PM

That maybe true but for concentration and focus, Adderall is far superior to Modafinil. There is a reason why its the most popular study drug in North America, Adderall works.

#20 Namkcalb

• Topic Starter
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:36 PM

That maybe true but for concentration and focus, Adderall is far superior to Modafinil. There is a reason why its the most popular study drug in North America, Adderall works.

Different drugs work differently for different people.

@John Barleycorn
I know, I think Quarantine looked through the last package I sent.

#21 Jesio

• 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:41 AM

I ordered some Modafinil online was really excited to try it. However, the first two days , I only tried a 100mg dosage, however these didn't achieve the "desired effect." So, I decided to try a 200mg dosage and I sat down, And I managed to spend 5 hours solidly working on my paper. When I first ordered them, I had this pre-conceived idea that I was going to feel amazing and that I'd be like Bradley Cooper in limitless. It's not like this, you may not really notice it but once you start working, you just get really into it and can focus well and concentrate a lot.
modafiniau.jpg
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#22 juncheng

• 6 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:23 PM

Starting 2017 you can buy not more than 3 month modafinil supply to Australia. If you order more you may get your package confiscated. When buying overseas prescription is optional. However if you want to get it a prescription, just visit your doctor and create positive image of yourself and be honest. It is really possible to get a script while having dyspraxia. If you decide to by it overseas I would recommend NEO MODAFINIL, where I get all my orders from. The pill price is something about 0.90 AUD / pill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users