Photo
- - - - -

Astragalus and telomeres

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 solarfingers

• 440 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:31 AM

Niner, I found this on the Sens website. Is this what you are referencing?

http://www.sens.org/...o-sens-research

"
The Targets
Decades of research in aging people and experimental animals has established that there are no more than seven major classes of such cellular and molecular damage, shown in the table below. We can be confident that this list is complete, first and foremost because of fact that scientists have not discovered any new kinds of aging damage in nearly a generation of research, despite the increasing number of centers and scientists dedicated to studying the matter, and the use of increasingly powerful tools to prove the aging body. In its own way, each of these kinds of damage make our bodies frail, and contribute to the rising frailty and ill-health that appears in our sixth decade of life and accelerates thereafter."

LysoSENS - Clearing wast accumulations out of cells
AmyloSENS - Removing junk from between cells
GlycoSENS - Breaking extracellular crosslinks
ApoptoSENS - Removing dysfunctional cells
MitoSENS - Preventing damage from mitochondrial mutations
OncoSENS - Making cancerous mutations harmless
RepleniSENS - Replacing lost cells

I am wondering how c60-oo might work against these problems being that it is both a scavenger and may help carry the oo lipids deeper into cells... It seems to me to be a double whammy to keep cells healthier by preventing telomere shortening and sending c60 to help protect the cell's processes... Just thinking out loud but your thoughts would be appreciated.

Edited by solarfingers, 31 May 2013 - 02:15 AM.

#32 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:22 AM

Niner, I found this on the Sens website. Is this what you are referencing?

http://www.sens.org/...o-sens-research

The Targets
Decades of research in aging people and experimental animals has established that there are no more than seven major classes of such cellular and molecular damage, shown in the table below. We can be confident that this list is complete, first and foremost because of fact that scientists have not discovered any new kinds of aging damage in nearly a generation of research, despite the increasing number of centers and scientists dedicated to studying the matter, and the use of increasingly powerful tools to prove the aging body. In its own way, each of these kinds of damage make our bodies frail, and contribute to the rising frailty and ill-health that appears in our sixth decade of life and accelerates thereafter.

Aging Damage | Year Discovered | Rejuvenation Biotechnology | SENS Strand

Cell loss, tissue atrophy | 1955 | Stem cells and tissue engineering | RepleniSENS
Nuclear [epi]mutations (only cancer matters) | 1959 | Removal of telomere-lengthening machinery | OncoSENS
Mutant mitochondria | 1972 Allotopic expression of 13 proteins | MitoSENS
Death-resistant cells | 1965 | Targeted ablation | ApoptoSENS
Tissue stiffening | 1958, 1981 | AGE-breaking molecules; tissue engineering | GlycoSENS
Extracellular aggregates | 1907 | Immunotherapeutic clearance | AmyloSENS
Intracellular aggregates | 1959 | Novel lysosomal hydrolases | LysoSENS

Yes, that's basically "the list". Telomere shortening would contribute to the formation of death-resistant (senescent) cells, and maybe a bit toward cell loss and tissue atrophy. I think that methods for killing senescent cells are going to be available in the relatively near term (maybe 10-15 years?) since this has already been demonstrated in the lab in a form that should work in humans. Mitochondrial ROS ultimately lead to a similar outcome, through the mechanism of mitochondrial mutation. I think this is a bigger problem than telomere loss from mitosis. ROS contribute to telomeric shortening as well. Tissue stiffening (AGEs) is another large problem that starts causing trouble in middle age. The aggregates tend to kick in pretty late in life. If a genie popped out of a bottle and offered me one wish, I'd ask for a good AGE breaker.

#33 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

All:

In accordance with Solarfingers' sensible suggestion, I have moved all the posts on putative glycation inhibitors into this thread.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 _alex_

• 91 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

Sorry to have been away so long - been very busy. GreenPower - yes measurements of telomere length as you did would definitely be interesting, and we will get to this eventually. Currently we have several trial volunteers monitoring effects on their physical manifestations of aging which are of greater significance to us. I have not found any analysis that shows astragalus as having a particularly high iron content.

There is one side effect that has turned up however. It happened to me personally (I have been using much higher doses than any of the trial participants). One week I got lazy and instead of measuring the the quantity of astragalus, I resorted to just dumping a large quantity of granulated astragalus into the teapot, and a heaping spoonful of extract into the coffepot, and adding ground astragalus to food at every opportunity. After a few days of this, I developed an allergic reaction that included sneezing fits, itching, and worse of all, facial swelling. This happened during a period when I was using pure astragalus rather than mixed with centella asiatica. A couple days use of corticosteroids coupled with reducing the astragalus dosage to back to a measured 15-30g per day alleviated the allergic symtoms. This experience shows that it is not a good idea to go hog wild with the consumption as I did. Astragalus is capable of producing allergic reactions, and some people are no doubt more susceptible than others to this.

I have been getting very good results with the astraglus/centella mixture. My eyesight has improved to the point where I can now read a paperback novel without glasses (at 59 years old), something that I haven't been able to do for 15 or 20 years! My back is not as strong as in my youth but never bothers me at all any more and my acid reflux problem seems completely cured and I can now eat whatever I want. Still no noticeable results on the skin. Haven't gotten many reports yet from our other testers.

We decided not to sell any products on the http://vidainstitute.org website, however a reliable source of astragalus and centella asiatica products is at http://astragalus-source.com

Be careful with Gotu Kola (Centella), not stable for longterm use. There is studies and many sources for this.

Gotu kola has been used in some studies that lasted up to one year. However, gotu kola has the potential to be harmful to the liver. It's best not to use gotu kola for more than 6 weeks without talking to your doctor. You may need to take a 2-week break before taking the herb again.

Asiaticoside, a major part of gotu kola, has also been link with tumor growth in mice. Anyone with a history of precancerous or cancerous skin lesions -- such as squamous cell, basal cell skin cancer, or melanoma -- should not use gotu kola.

Source: Gotu kola | University of Maryland Medical Center http://umm.edu/healt...a#ixzz2knVAGhgD
University of Maryland Medical Center

• like x 1

#35 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:13 PM

I have been getting very good results with the astraglus/centella mixture. My eyesight has improved to the point where I can now read a paperback novel without glasses (at 59 years old), something that I haven't been able to do for 15 or 20 years!

May I ask what exactly was wrong with your eyes beachbum: Short or far sighted or other?
I am far sighted and would love to toss my reading glasses in the bin. That's assuming I can find the damn things in the 1st place! :)

#36 markmsb

• 52 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:44 AM

How do these interesting threads just die off. Well anyway, for everyone's info I've been taking 75 grams of astragalus powder a day. Foolish?

#37 rickyhh

• 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 03:41 PM

markmsb, I've just ordered a pound of Astragalus powder and equal amount of dried root shavings. I already have been chewing on some root shavings daily and taking some A extract in alcohol. I'm willing to post my results of course, but am curious how your use of 30 g/day is going since you recently posted. 

#38 markmsb

• 52 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:02 PM

Hey,

I've been using much higher doses than that actually. From 60-75 grams a day. I usually use closer to 60. I buy the bulk powder and cook it in a Pyrex pot once a day. I drink three divided cups in a day to get my full dose. I take the powder only. I don't buy the slices. So basically I consume the whole root which are the powdered solid and the broth from the heated water. The only thing I can tell is that I never have any nasal or bronchial congestion what so ever and my skin looks like it has an amazing glow like when I was a baby. I'm not sure if I'm getting and type of mind benefits but I should be getting some form of telomere activation using these high doses no matter what. I haven't seen this high a dose used and haven't seen any negative effects.

#39 apmark

• 69 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:57 AM

I have had 2 people in the last week tell me that I look younger every time they see me. One has not seen me for six months or so and the other one saw me about 3 months ago? I have had regular breaks from my telomerase
inducing and suppression regimen, ie when. Go on holidays I don't bother. The only different thing I have done is start using c60 1 to 2 ml in the morning on an empty stomach. This is obviously not causing that effect on appearance as I have only been taking it for a week. On thing I have noticed since taking it and it is definitely not a placebo effect is that I have the most deep and refreshing sleeps. Normally I fall asleep after a long time however since taking c60 I am out like a log in minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users