Photo
- - - - -

Does 5-HTP cause excessive sleep?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EMP

• 44 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:54 PM

About a month ago, I have started taking 5-HTP to help deal with the stressful life I am currently living. I started off with 50 mg at night and have some two weeks ago increased the amount to 2 x 50 mg a day (50 mg in the morning and 50 mg at night) and although it seems to greatly calm me down, I have noticed some effects that might be related. In the first week, I noticed that I started waking up earlier without feeling sleepy (from 9-10 hours to 7-8 hours). However, I now seem to naturally wake up later. Before taking 5-HTP I used to wake up at around 7.30-8.00 AM naturally, which changed in the first week of taking it to 6.30-7.00 AM and has now changed to 8.30-9AM. I noticed that I also am more prone to fall asleep again when my alarm clock has woken me up.

In addition, I am taking 500mg of GABA and 450mg of Ashwagandha at night. Any ideas?
  • dislike x 1

#2 Iceebear19727

• 86 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:46 AM

I don't know how it works exactly, at least not enough to be comfortable explaining it to someone else, but I can definitely say that 5-htp noticably increased my sleeping and reduced my appetite. Just wanted you do know that you're not the only one! =)
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#3 siafujc

• 12 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:01 PM

I took Ashwaghanda for the first time last night and I went almost straight to sleep after hitting the pillow. Not sure if it's that, something else or just natural sleep but it's the only thing I've changed recently. Over the past month or so I've been having insomnia issues where I lay awake until 5am after going to bed at 2 (work schedule sucks) and I should be asleep by 2:30 at the latest.

Going to get 5-HTP today to add to it as I'm not sure whether it was the Ashwaganda or not. However, what you are experiencing may be a combination of the two?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#4 khemix

• 190 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:44 PM

I'm sure it's the 5-HTP doing this.

Edited by khemix, 18 June 2012 - 07:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users