Photo
- - - - -

Best Invisible Sunblock?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 kiracle

• 16 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:49 PM

I would like your recommendations for a good invisible sunblock.

I am in Los Angeles. Currently I am using Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Liquid, SPF 70, which is a liquid designed to be used under makeup, which I don't wear. The active ingredients in this sunblock are: Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 10%, Octisalate 5%, Octocrylene 7.5%, Oxybenzone 5%. I am happy with this product on several points: consistency is very thin and not sticky, dries to invisible or near invisible, the price is about $12-$14 for a 40mL bottle, sometimes $10 on sale, and it is widely available at many stores.

However, I am interested in using a product that offers better protection but is still invisible. My skin is not pale, so using a product that is even slightly whitening is time-consuming due to having to "blend it in" and ensure even distribution and make sure that the product isn't pooling around my hairline, etc.

What are your best recommendations?

#2 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:17 PM

Devita and Burnout sunscreens are what I would recommend. They both meet some unique qualifications:

They are not absurdly expensive.
They go on with little to no whitening. Zero for the Devita.
They both have a high % of zinc oxide (18%+)
They both are non-nano particle size.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 kiracle

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:57 PM

What is micronized zinc oxide?

#4 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:40 PM

Devita and Burnout sunscreens are what I would recommend. They both meet some unique qualifications:

What is your opinion of the protective capacity of these sunblocks in both UV spectrums?

#5 kiracle

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:41 PM

What is your opinion of the protective capacity of these sunblocks in both UV spectrums?

I was concerned about that too. I understand zinc oxide is pretty photo stable, but I am not sure the range is super comprehensive.

Still, I went to Whole Foods to buy a bottle. There was only a tester left, so I tried it and it's very thin and non-oily, invisible - it could easily go under another sunblock.

#6 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:16 AM

I was concerned about that too. I understand zinc oxide is pretty photo stable, but I am not sure the range is super comprehensive.

Still, I went to Whole Foods to buy a bottle. There was only a tester left, so I tried it and it's very thin and non-oily, invisible - it could easily go under another sunblock.

Which sunblock are you referring to?

I know someone who recently started using devita spf 30 sun protecting moisturizer with zinc oxide. I used it a couple of times myself and was fairly amazed at how invisible and non-oily it is compared to some of the chemical based sunblocks I had been using before that. So much so that I ordered some. I now am veering away from chemical filters. These physical sunscreens are much less harsh on the skin. I might still occasionally use my garnier solaire spf 50, on harsher days. But I honestly do not know if this is more protective than the devita product (I think physical filters take longer to break down than chemical ones?). So the devita could be my new permanent sunblock of choice.

Edited by TheFountain, 22 April 2011 - 01:18 AM.

#7 kiracle

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:23 AM

The tester i tried at Whole Foods was the Burnout brand. I am not sure if they carry Devita. I didn't see it at the one I went to.

#8 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:57 AM

The tester i tried at Whole Foods was the Burnout brand. I am not sure if they carry Devita. I didn't see it at the one I went to.

Why would you want to wear this under another sunblock? I thought the point was its inconspicuous application.

#9 happy lemon

• 275 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:21 AM

I have both Devita sunscreen for face & body. They are really invisible!

What I don't is that both of them give mea "wet' look.

I am going to try Pratima & Burnout.

http://www.pratimask...-face-sunscreen

#10 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:57 AM

This one is both invisible and provides moisture benefits without giving me a 'wet look'. It is my favorite sunscreen thus far in terms of application feel, texture. Effectiveness still to be determined but it seems to be working.

http://www.luckyvita...er-30-spf-17-oz

Edited by TheFountain, 22 April 2011 - 05:59 AM.

#11 happy lemon

• 275 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:13 AM

Yes, I have this one but it gives me a wet look that I don't like.

It is a "your mileage may vary situation".

#12 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:42 AM

Well I have only used it in temperate conditions thus far. As in nothing warmer than 75 degrees and it doesn't seem to run too much, even when sweating. What is your climate? And do you wear anything under it?

#13 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:12 PM

Hi there, just wondering if you had a chance to try the Pratima sunscreen and whether it gave you a shiny, dewy, effect like the Devita.

#14 happy lemon

• 275 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:18 PM

...... What is your climate? And do you wear anything under it?

I live in Asia.

However, even when it was 64 deg F; RH was under 60%; it gave me wet look too; in addition, I didn't put on anything else under the Devita.

#15 happy lemon

• 275 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:20 PM

......Hi there, just wondering if you had a chance to try the Pratima sunscreen and whether it gave you a shiny, dewy, effect like the Devita.

No, I have not got one yet; but my friend is going to the States next month and I may ask her to buy Burnout & Pratima for me as Pratima doesn't ship overseas.

#16 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:18 PM

...... What is your climate? And do you wear anything under it?

I live in Asia.

However, even when it was 64 deg F; RH was under 60%; it gave me wet look too; in addition, I didn't put on anything else under the Devita.

Interesting, I have not experienced this, do you have oily skin?

#17 happy lemon

• 275 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:23 PM

......Interesting, I have not experienced this, do you have oily skin?

normal to dry!

#18 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:01 PM

Well I have only used it in temperate conditions thus far. As in nothing warmer than 75 degrees and it doesn't seem to run too much, even when sweating. What is your climate? And do you wear anything under it?

I really like the Devita as well. I'm currently using Burnout and like it better. No shine and it's more water resistant than the Devita. Much more. http://www.mothernat...110&zmap=211933

Edited by mustardseed41, 22 April 2011 - 07:04 PM.

#19 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:35 AM

......Interesting, I have not experienced this, do you have oily skin?

normal to dry!

Wow me too! hehehe hahaha!

I wonder why we have completely different experiences with said product. *raises eyebrow*

#20 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:48 AM

I really like the Devita as well. I'm currently using Burnout and like it better. No shine and it's more water resistant than the Devita. Much more. http://www.mothernat...110&zmap=211933

I shall definitely try it. But it is sold on at this site. Any other links?

#21 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:11 AM

Sold out*

#22 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:11 AM

Sold out*

#23 kiracle

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:58 PM

Why would you want to wear this under another sunblock? I thought the point was its inconspicuous application.

I meant if I find another sunblock that is invisible. I am not sure how broad the protection range is with this one.

#24 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:03 PM

I meant if I find another sunblock that is invisible. I am not sure how broad the protection range is with this one.

Adequate protection across the full UV spectrum.

#25 Brafarality

• 684 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:21 AM

High % of non-nano zinc oxide and no whitening?
I am going to try it. It sounds perfect.

#26 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:59 PM

Yea i'm trying to stay away from chemical filters too. I find they anecdotally make my skin worse.

Edited by TheFountain, 25 April 2011 - 04:59 PM.

#27 Brafarality

• 684 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:52 PM

Yea i'm trying to stay away from chemical filters too. I find they anecdotally make my skin worse.

Agreed, and this almost sounds too good to be true, but it is worth a try:
What about for those who need to put on at least 1/4" thick layer to feel protected? Is it possible for anything rich in zinc oxide to remain invisible and cause no whitening with that much on? Cause if too thin a layer is put on, it may not be particularly effective (esp. non-nano zinc oxide), but if too thick a layer is put on, then it becomes socially awkward to wear if it becomes visible.

One thing in defense of chemical sunscreens is that the few times Ive worn them, even a thick layer eventually disappears into a transparent wet looking glaze, not ideal, but way better than the chalky effect of a thick layer of zinc oxide. Today is a beautiful day in NJ. Havent put AC in yet, and it would be awesome to just stroll outdoors, so Devita, Im waitin on you. A light tan is ok, but, a sunburn would be horribly uncool. Peace out.

Edited by Brafarality, 25 April 2011 - 09:58 PM.

#28 happy lemon

• 275 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:55 PM

What about for those who need to put on at least 1/4" thick layer to feel protected? Is it possible for anything rich in zinc oxide to remain invisible and cause no whitening with that much on? Cause if too thin a layer is put on, it may not be particularly effective (esp. non-nano zinc oxide), but if too thick a layer is put on, then it becomes socially awkward to wear if it becomes visible......

I put on a thick layer of Devita but still invisible.

If not it had given me a "wet" look, I would have loved it.

#29 Brafarality

• 684 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:04 PM

What about for those who need to put on at least 1/4" thick layer to feel protected? Is it possible for anything rich in zinc oxide to remain invisible and cause no whitening with that much on? Cause if too thin a layer is put on, it may not be particularly effective (esp. non-nano zinc oxide), but if too thick a layer is put on, then it becomes socially awkward to wear if it becomes visible......

Can I get Devita sunblock at a WalMart, Target, Whole Foods, or somewhere like that? Checked the thread and didnt see anything about where its at, except online.

#30 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:33 PM

Can I get Devita sunblock at a WalMart, Target, Whole Foods, or somewhere like that? Checked the thread and didnt see anything about where its at, except online.

Some Whole Foods carry both Devita and Burnout............ I used 1/4 tsp on my face alone with the Devita and ZERO whitening. Not a trace.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users