• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Gotu Kola side-effects in the beginning, then clearing up?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Neurotik

• 85 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:59 AM

Hi folks, long-time lurker, first time poster.

It looks to me like Gotu Kola makes for a good base, not only in terms of a nootropic but seemingly as a whole body tonic. From what I've been reading its benefits are legion. It seems like something we should all be taking, to be honest.

I seem to be rather sensitive to it, however. I do feel the stimulation, and ideas flow more freely, so I'm liking that aspect.

However, I seem to be getting a large helping of the side effects too: headache, dizziness, physical unease, and I wake up in the mornings with what feels like my entire body vibrating and my head buzzing a bit. Some of the effects subside over the course of the day, except for a constant, very dull headache, with a tightness around the back of my head extending down a bit toward my neck. Not that bad at all, but I can feel it's there and I'd rather be without it. The dizziness isn't severe but I do notice it from time to time throughout the day.

My assumption at this point is that there might be a "you'll feel worse before you feel better" stage and you just have to push through it. Have any of you experienced this? A bit of roughness at first that eventually subsides maybe over the course of a week or two? IS it that I should give my body some time to adjust?

I have considered lowering the dosage, but I'm already at a low dose: 1 cap (475 mg) per day. I could always take a half dose, but I'm worried that I won't be getting enough of it.

I've tried DMAE and some others, but it appears I react similarly to all such nootropic substances. I have no actual *need* for them or conditions that require them. I just thought they might be useful for that "next level" of mental stimulation. Gotu Kola, however, seems useful in any case. Especially in restoring and maintaining adrenal health, which is an area for which I *might* actually need it.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Neurotik, 16 July 2011 - 01:12 AM.

#2 Neurotik

• Topic Starter
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:30 PM

Hi folks, long-time lurker, first time poster.

It looks to me like Gotu Kola makes for a good base, not only in terms of a nootropic but seemingly as a whole body tonic. From what I've been reading its benefits are legion. It seems like something we should all be taking, to be honest.

I seem to be rather sensitive to it, however. I do feel the stimulation, and ideas flow more freely, so I'm liking that aspect.

However, I seem to be getting a large helping of the side effects too: headache, dizziness, physical unease, and I wake up in the mornings with what feels like my entire body vibrating and my head buzzing a bit. Some of the effects subside over the course of the day, except for a constant, very dull headache, with a tightness around the back of my head extending down a bit toward my neck. Not that bad at all, but I can feel it's there and I'd rather be without it. The dizziness isn't severe but I do notice it from time to time throughout the day.

My assumption at this point is that there might be a "you'll feel worse before you feel better" stage and you just have to push through it. Have any of you experienced this? A bit of roughness at first that eventually subsides maybe over the course of a week or two? IS it that I should give my body some time to adjust?

I have considered lowering the dosage, but I'm already at a low dose: 1 cap (475 mg) per day. I could always take a half dose, but I'm worried that I won't be getting enough of it.

I've tried DMAE and some others, but it appears I react similarly to all such nootropic substances. I have no actual *need* for them or conditions that require them. I just thought they might be useful for that "next level" of mental stimulation. Gotu Kola, however, seems useful in any case. Especially in restoring and maintaining adrenal health, which is an area for which I *might* actually need it.

Thanks for reading.

EDIT:

I've got an update and an answer to at least part of my question:

It seems one cap (475 mg) in the morning is just about right in terms of avoiding side effects. I'm unsure as to the efficacy if such a dose - perhaps I could be getting more stimulation at larger doses. However it might very well be that small doses on a regular basis builds the substance up in one's system over time, and after a period the results will be noticeable but not sudden.

In light of all this, what is everyone's opinion on adding in DMAE at some point?

What effects (positively synergistic or counter-productive) might a Gotu Kola + DMAE stack have when taken on a regular basis? I wouldn't want one to counter the other. Effective supp + effective supp does not necessarily = effective combination.

I also drink plenty of high quality loose-leaf green tea and oolong tea.

Further, I do have caffeine pills on hand, if you think they might be of any help (though I'd like to avoid them if possible - they seem a little too quick and dirty for long-term use.)

I've also been toying with the idea of restarting my meditation sessions. I think this even on its own will do a world of good.

Thanks.

Edited by Neurotik, 16 July 2011 - 04:32 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 mwestbro

• 81 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:35 PM

Interesting--the stiff neck and headache are classic signs of too much cholinergic stimulation. I wasn't aware that gotu kola was particularly cholinergic. In my experience, too much cholinergic stimulation leads sooner or later to depression. YMMV.

#4 Neurotik

• Topic Starter
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:24 PM

Interesting--the stiff neck and headache are classic signs of too much cholinergic stimulation. I wasn't aware that gotu kola was particularly cholinergic. In my experience, too much cholinergic stimulation leads sooner or later to depression. YMMV.

Thanks for the reply.

That's an interesting point. Gotu Kola is known for its cholinergic and GABA-ergic stimulation. However, isn't this a good thing (in the right amount)?

It's also crossed my mind that someone like me - who isn't depressed, doesn't have any social phobias and who is academically inclined - doesn't actually *need* gotu kola. Except for perhaps adrenal support. I used to be heavily involved in bodybuilding and used an ECA stack (ephedrine-caffeine-aspirin) to help me power through workouts and maintain razor-sharp focus. It was incredible, to b honest. And I used it for years, sometimes to give me an extra edge academically. However, after a time tolerance set in and increased dosages only heightened the side effects. Years of off-and-on ECA use left me feeling a bit burnt out, but nothing severe. I stopped mainly to ensure the stuff doesn't affect my cardiac functions long-term. This was about a year ago. I feel fine for the most part, so again, my goals are increased mental stimulation and focus and (if possible) adrenal support. When I do take a tolerable dose of Gotu Kola I feel quite good on it.

Gotu Kola has been touted as a decent nootropic and I've read a great deal of positive things about it - a lot of Bro-Science - but a few supporting studies as well. It appears that it would actually combat depression (as part of acting as "brain food.") So am I to assume that depression due to cholinergic overstimulation is mostly due to just that: too high a dose? I wouldn't mind seeing if I can integrate Gotu Kola into my daily regimen long-term. I'm also aware of the need to cycle this supplement (or at least what appears to be cycling) - that is, 6 weeks on, 2 weeks off.

How about DMAE? In your opinion does it tend to pair well with Gotu Kola?

I'm thinking that once I am able to work in other supps my daily stack might look like this:

• Gotu Kola
  • Phosphatidylserine (I've been taking this for years)
  • DMAE
  • L-Theanine (this one might be redundant, as per below)
  • Green tea/white tea/oolong tea ( I drink these regularly, and a lot of it.)

Nothing too earth-shattering. Certainly not much that will provide the immediate gratification of an awesome mental "high", but I'm betting that long-term use in small doses will yield positive and manageable results.

Does this sound reasonable?

Edited by Neurotik, 16 July 2011 - 07:03 PM.

#5 HoldingTheFaith

• 195 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:14 PM

15 grams of Centella Asiatica (Gotu Kola) brewed this morning. Now I have a nice dull pressure headache. I am thinking I can live without this neuronal super booster herb if it makes me feel like this.

I am not a fan of its antimasculine effects either. I will stick to Green Tea and Ginkgo Biloba which work well. Raw cacao too but is very bad for leaky gut.

Edited by HoldingTheFaith, 16 March 2015 - 02:18 PM.

#6 fairy

• 143 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:03 PM

http://goo.gl/vgrGlI

I switched to Arkopharma cause it was cheaper, but I will definitely stick to Aboca in the future (the powder has better aroma, colour, and concentration; the box more information). I take 1095 mg daily now (1460 mg maximum recommended dose from the producer). One and a half month and I still feel nothing. On the contrary, no matter how much I sleep, the capillaries in my eyes are swollen (Centella increases angiogenesis so I'm not surprised about this and its documented effects on the brain) and it sucks. Excluding major side effects, I will continue administration for at least three months.

Edited by fairy, 16 March 2015 - 05:05 PM.

#7 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:06 AM

I would go slowly. Your swollen capillaries are likely indicative of gotu kola's effects on the blood, it seems to be similar to fish oil and reishi in that respect, both of which can cause bloodshot eyes. Especially the alcoholic extract of gotu kola can be quite powerful.

I agree it can have very beneficial effects, but I think the potency may be underestimated, I really think small doses are key, if you are going to take it over the long term. Combining small doses with meditation should stimulate neuronal growth in the right places. A few leaves (only!) of the raw herb per day is recommended in the yogic tradition. Maybe they recommend this small dose for a reason?

I have also experienced gotu kola headaches after high doses. In my case, gotu kola + coffee produced the worst effects. It was better with tea, but I wonder if there might be some sort of interaction with caffeine going on.

A friend of mine took gotu kola alcohol tincture daily and also took anti-inflammatories for joint pain, and ended up with blood in her urine.

• Informative x 1

#8 crazepharmacist

• 94 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:25 PM

Has anyone experience gastrointestinal discomfort with Gotu Kola use? I was taking the same dose as you nightly for only a few days. I would wake very early in the morning with crippling stomach pain bordering between my lower stomach and pelvic area. I have taken high dosages of Bacopa but gotu kola's stomach upset is like none other. If this episode happened at work I would have been incapacitated in a bathroom stall for over an hour. 

#9 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:53 AM

Be careful, Neurotik.  You seem to have a tendency to want to hack the life force.  That can be bad.  At first I used gotu kola alcohol extract along with gingko alcohol extract (Gaia Organics Brand).  I ended up using only the ginkgo on an ongoing basis because I got caffeine/speed-like side effects from the gotu kola.  Nothing works for everyone.  You don't give your age or much into about yourself or the brand/form of the gotu kola.  Ginkgo is the more widely used of the two herbs.  

Basic lifestyle and nutrition is important.  Cooked green vegetables will help support your brain, especially the capillaries, which can be undernourished or undermined our modern lifestyle.  It helps to take a healthy fat or oil along with colorful veggies to help your body use the nutrients.  Eat a variety of colorful fruits and veggies and healthy fats or oil every day as those will help support your brain.  Hot, plain green tea is also good for some people's brains.  In Chinese Medicine, cold food or drink is bad for you.  They would advise taking all food and drink hot or at room temperature.  

Practice moderation.  Don't push too much.  Listen to your body.      

#10 V_Sal

• 9 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:37 PM

Today I had coffee with a tsp of Gotu Kola, and it did me very good, more focus, thoughts calmed down from racing, and I intend to continue. I need Gotu Kola for the sleep schedule.  It is helping me to go to bed earlier and get up earlier; but it seems I will get good 'side effects'. 

This combination tastes good as well.

#11 Mentha

• 14 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:34 PM

Hi everyone,

My experience with Gotu Kola:

I used Gotu Kola for about three months. One "certified 475mg" capsule daily.
The first days I took it in the morning, but I was more anxious during the day.
So I changed I took one capsule before sleeping.
I don't know if anxiety is due to the beginning of the treatment or the time of the take.
But later I stopped Gotu two days each weeks to avoid tolerance and I also felt anxiety.
So it is maybe a supplement that must not be interrupted.
Is it active? Yes it is.
In my case I can compare it with Saint John Wort.
My mood is lifted, I am more motivated, energetic, expensive.
And I also feel less aggressivity, a more stable mood than with SJW.
In my case it is the best supplement I have try.
But unfortunately there is a side effect that makes me stop Gotu for the moment.
My nose and mouth are dry.
It is very annoying. This even wakes me up during the night.
So I am taking a break now to know if Gotu is really to blame.
But I am already prone to eyes dryness so I think Gotu could
help someone less sensitive.

I used Gotu for anxiety/depression issues.

This was years ago... I have tried others supplements since and I don't take Gotu Kola anymore.

But a good side-effect Gota had on me was to improve my skin health.

Bye

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:23 PM

I liked it a lot, it is extremely effective against anxiety and good for memory when paired with Bacopa. But its anti-androgenic effects are unacceptable for me.

"It is concluded that Centella asiatica has toxicological effects on the reproductive system in male rats"

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/21870191

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users