• 989 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:21 PM

http://en.wikipedia....opsis_nutricula

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#2 firespin

• 116 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:05 AM

Yeah this is old news to many members here. Turritopsis nutricula is one of the immortal animals on earth. Another animal believed to be immortal is the Hydra.
What I don’t understand is why there isn’t any major research on this jelly fish considering it is immortal? Hell most of the things immortalists wish to achieve have already been done by nature with certain animals. This specific jellyfish and hydras are immortal. Mole rates are immune to cancer. Wetas, large insects in New Zealand and wood frogs can survive being frozen, which I would think be useful to cryonics. Wood frogs in North America are technically dead when frozen (their hearts stop beating) but are brought back to life when warmed.

Edited by firespin, 20 July 2011 - 09:30 AM.

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:53 PM

Yeah this is old news to many members here. Turritopsis nutricula is one of the immortal animals on earth. Another animal believed to be immortal is the Hydra.
What I don't understand is why there isn't any major research on this jelly fish considering it is immortal? Hell most of the things immortalists wish to achieve have already been done by nature with certain animals. This specific jellyfish and hydras are immortal. Mole rates are immune to cancer. Wetas, large insects in New Zealand and wood frogs can survive being frozen, which I would think be useful to cryonics. Wood frogs in North America are technically dead when frozen (their hearts stop beating) but are brought back to life when warmed.

In what sense do you use the word immortal?

immortal
dictionary results

im·mor·tal
–adjective
not mortal; not liable or subject to death; undying: our immortal souls.
remembered or celebrated through all time: the immortal words of Lincoln.
not liable to perish or decay; imperishable; everlasting.

–noun
an immortal being.
a person of enduring fame: Bach, Milton, El Greco, and other immortals.
the Immortals, the 40 members of the french Academy.
  • Agree x 1

#4 firespin

• 116 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:38 PM

I am talking about biological immortality, which means you do not die from aging. You will live forever if you are not killed or get a deadly disease.

#5 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:19 PM

I am talking about biological immortality, which means you do not die from aging. You will live forever if you are not killed or get a deadly disease.

The immortal jellyfish is rapidly spreading all over the earth because of its longevity. Is there a limit to this? Is there a jellyfish in our future? The earth will be covered with them. Will they die and no longer be immortal or will their success kill us all and other life? Are they a kind of disease of ageing? What will they eat?

http://www.telegraph...-the-world.html

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:15 AM

What I don't understand is why there isn't any major research on this jelly fish considering it is immortal? Hell most of the things immortalists wish to achieve have already been done by nature with certain animals. This specific jellyfish and hydras are immortal. Mole rates are immune to cancer. Wetas, large insects in New Zealand and wood frogs can survive being frozen, which I would think be useful to cryonics. Wood frogs in North America are technically dead when frozen (their hearts stop beating) but are brought back to life when warmed.

immortal
dictionary results

im·mor·tal
–adjective
not mortal; not liable or subject to death; undying: our immortal souls.
remembered or celebrated through all time: the immortal words of Lincoln.
not liable to perish or decay; imperishable; everlasting.

–noun
an immortal being.
a person of enduring fame: Bach, Milton, El Greco, and other immortals.
the Immortals, the 40 members of the french Academy.

@shadowwalk, perhaps you are right about the terminology. I didn't understand, however, how would you name some one, who exists today and never ages? And also how will you name some one, who lives today, and will not die from now on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users