Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

DukeNukem where are thou?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:22 PM

Reverent or irreverent. Agree or disagree. Like him or dislike him. DukeNukem posts always brought a load of comments and views. Of late he seems to have been conspicuously absent from the forum. Too, wasn't/isn't he a Moderator? So, where are thou DukeNukem? Any sightings?
  • like x 1

#2 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:27 AM

I'm friends with him on Facebook. He seems to be pretty busy traveling and living. :)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 caruga

• 514 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:39 AM

Like or dislike it, he's busy starring in the newly released Duke Nukem Forever.

Edited by caruga, 20 August 2011 - 11:40 AM.

#4 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:06 PM

Duke was always a prolific poster. Updating us on his supplements, Rx, diet, exercise and lab work. I don't recall a post from him in 2011. I find it both interesting and useful when someone like Duke, who has a very comprehensive plan and is 50+, shares his experience. I was just curious how his "regimen" was continuing to work. What changes he's made.

#5 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:38 PM

I'll expand that to... where is FunkOdyssey, Krillin, Ajnast, etc?

I think Funk is a moderator here, yet I haven't seen a single post by him in at least 6 months or longer. Duke seemed to have left a while ago, or at least decided not to post here anymore. I personally thought his regimen was somewhat insane (too risky), but he did have some interesting viewpoints.

#6 thevaughny

• 40 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:43 PM

Funk has been posting on M&M recently.

#7 Mr Serendipity

• 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:17 PM

I guess I was never around when Duke posted a lot. But one of his posts I read included an amazingly simple idea, which made sticking to a supplement regime much easier. That was of course putting all your supplements in an empty nail box, using the compartments to separate them. Saved me so much time not hving to open each bottle individually. Thanks Duke!

Edited by manny, 24 August 2011 - 08:18 PM.

#8 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:05 PM

duke i think had a new game come out recently... according to his facebook he's been traveling constantly.

no clue where funk and krillin have been.

i still come to the forum on occasion, once or twice a week... i try to just browse and not get too absorbed. i have been busy with school & life in general. i've been trying to use my free time more wisely... reading, meditation, deepening my relationships and friendships, etc. the days of spending hours researching for and writing huge posts are long gone lol.

#9 biochemie

• 94 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

Dukenukem was the king! Loved his posts.

#10 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:09 PM

50+, hmmm? I am not sure if he is 50 yet. My fractured unreliable memory seems to recall he was only 46 when he was a director of Imminst. In any case, the great value I found in his posts was that he measured aging biomarkers. He was a great test case for many supplements and we could all follow along.

#11 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:09 AM

He's immortalized in the games, who need real immortality.

#12 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:58 PM

50+, hmmm? I am not sure if he is 50 yet. My fractured unreliable memory seems to recall he was only 46 when he was a director of Imminst. In any case, the great value I found in his posts was that he measured aging biomarkers. He was a great test case for many supplements and we could all follow along.

According to this Wikipedia entry, he was born in1961.
http://en.wikipedia....r_(entrepreneur)

#13 Mind

• 19,058 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:50 PM

I got a message from Duke. He said he feels great for being 50. He said he would try to post an update here in the forums soon.

#14 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:37 PM

Hey Mind, thanks for the heads up and poke to come post here a little more often. As much as anything, Facebook kinda became the place I post now, and I post something related to health at least 5 times a week there. I also post a LOT in a private forum for game developers, where I've helped dozens of game developers live a healthier life by changing their diet and add exercise and supplements to there routine.

I still spend an hour or two daily keeping up with all the latest on health, studies, etc.

As for me, I'm 50, but feel like I'm 25 still. I don't feel like I'm aging at all, in terms of my physical ability, energy level, cognitive capability, and my health stats -- extensively measured at the beginning of every year -- seem to indicate I'm in exceptional health. I recently measured my VO2 Max at 56, which is an athletic level. I'm as strong and as fit as I've ever been, and with minimal effort (no cardio, and 4-5 gym visits a month). My CRP (inflammation marker) is rock bottom low. HDL 89. Trigs 51. No detectable arterial plaque (ultra sound test). A1c 4.8 (glycation/glucose measurement). Vit D level at 85. 9.5% bodyfat.

My diet is basically high-fat paleo, plus some dairy (prefer goat dairy). As I said here years ago the three foodstuffs I mostly avoid are: fructose, gluten, and plant oils (with a few exceptions: olive, avocado, coconut, palm, and macadamia nut). My diet is high in animal proteins/fats and eggs. (I don't eat seafood only because I don't like it, so I supplement with fish oil and krill oil.) I rarely eat fruits, except berries and avocados. I eat lots of veggies, but only those low in glucose, like leafy greens, peppers, celery, etc. I do not eat many nuts -- I consider nuts a cheat (except macadamia nuts, which I consider healthy).

I still take a lot of supps, about 50 pills daily.

I still supplement with hormones, like testosterone, DHEA, progesterone, and thyroid -- all natural (bio-identical). And all under the watch of a longevity doctor I've used for 8+ years. Every man over 40 should supplement with hormones.

Overall, I could not be happier with how things are going. Aging? What is aging? Life is too amazing and fun to let something as beatable as aging slow me down. ;-)
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#15 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:06 AM

Hi Duke,
Thanks for popping in to give an update. Curious, what do you supplement or eat specifically for bone health? I started a thread about bone health here: http://www.longecity...39-bone-health/

#16 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:06 AM

If you're interested in sharing, I'd be very interested to see your supplement list Duke...

By the way, were you involved in making DNF?

#17 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:06 AM

By the way, were you involved in making DNF?

Oh, Duke the character was named after him, founder of 3DRealms.

http://www.longecity...2347-dukenukem/

#18 Steve_86

• 266 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:32 AM

If you're interested in sharing, I'd be very interested to see your supplement list Duke...

+1 :)

#19 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:22 AM

+1 :)

Count me in too!

#20 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:23 AM

Duke
What is the reason you eschew cardio? Dislike it? No time? Studies indicating it is pro-aging or damaging?

#21 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:04 AM

Duke don't need no cardio. And neither do most people -- at least not dedicated cardio. Lifting weights, when done right, is a great cardio workout (generally better than a dedicated cardio workout). Also, anytime you repeat a movement like when jogging or biking, at a steady pace, you risk wearing down joints, causing inflammation, and also burning muscle tissue.

I get my "cardio" through lifting weights, and also activities better classified as play, like trail biking (which is not steady pace at all), tennis, and martial arts.

#22 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:57 AM

Duke don't need no cardio. And neither do most people -- at least not dedicated cardio. Lifting weights, when done right, is a great cardio workout (generally better than a dedicated cardio workout). Also, anytime you repeat a movement like when jogging or biking, at a steady pace, you risk wearing down joints, causing inflammation, and also burning muscle tissue.

I get my "cardio" through lifting weights, and also activities better classified as play, like trail biking (which is not steady pace at all), tennis, and martial arts.

Hi Duke,

Can you comment on "The China Study"? I haven't read it, but supposedly it's written with scientific evidence in mind to show that eating animal products isn't good for you. I haven't really made up my mind as to what I should really believe. Here's a link to the wikipedia entry on the book, if you haven't read it: http://en.wikipedia....iki/China_Study

Thank you,
E.

Edited by Elus, 20 November 2011 - 05:58 AM.

#23 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:13 AM

Hi Duke,

Can you comment on "The China Study"? I haven't read it, but supposedly it's written with scientific evidence in mind to show that eating animal products isn't good for you. I haven't really made up my mind as to what I should really believe. Here's a link to the wikipedia entry on the book, if you haven't read it: http://en.wikipedia....iki/China_Study

Thank you,
E.

You can probably find the most thorough rebuttals here:

http://rawfoodsos.com/the-china-study/
  • like x 3
  • dislike x 2

#24 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:24 AM

Dukenukem/Scott why did duke Nukem Forever get such low reviews? What happened? I was really excited when I heard Duke Nukem forever was coming out on the PS3 as I heard so many good things about the series but then when it was released it got mediocre reviews so I didn't buy it.

#25 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

You can probably find the most thorough rebuttals here:

http://rawfoodsos.com/the-china-study/

Thanks, I'll read through that.

EDIT: After a brief look through (30-40 mins), I think that this is an excellent analysis which shows the dangers of drawing premature conclusions from correlations between two variables. As Denise explains, there are more variables that need to be considered before making the bold conclusions that the China study does. It's quite thorough and long, so I'll have to look through it all when I get a bit more time. Thanks again.

(By the way, someone downvoted you, so I reversed that. If someone downvotes, they should explain why they're doing it. Furthermore, it's not fair to downvote someone for providing a source of information. I think downvotes are warranted when someone posts a blatantly uninformed opinion with no sources behind it, or starts flaming people. Neither was done in this case.)

Edited by Elus, 20 November 2011 - 07:31 PM.

#26 Mind

• 19,058 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:00 PM

Ha, talk about opening up pandora's box of questions. Everyone, including me is interested in knowing Duke's secrets and rationale. One thing I would say, it is much easier to have a longevity doctor, 50 daily supps, and hormone treatment, when you have ample wealth. For poor saps like me, we have to settle with exercise, good nutrition, a little CR, and a positive attitude. That being said, I am happy Duke is out there blazing the trail and experimenting with healthspan extension. keep up the good work!

#27 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:37 PM

Ha, talk about opening up pandora's box of questions. Everyone, including me is interested in knowing Duke's secrets and rationale. One thing I would say, it is much easier to have a longevity doctor, 50 daily supps, and hormone treatment, when you have ample wealth. For poor saps like me, we have to settle with exercise, good nutrition, a little CR, and a positive attitude. That being said, I am happy Duke is out there blazing the trail and experimenting with healthspan extension. keep up the good work!

Yup, it isn't cheap. I probably spend $20,000+ a year on everything extra I do (supps and hormones). Not to mention the extra cost of buying higher-quality (naturally fed, etc.) meats whenever possible.

I didn't start until I was 40, but even starting that late it's made a profoundly positive difference to my life. So, it's never too late.

Edited by DukeNukem, 22 November 2011 - 11:37 PM.

#28 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:13 AM

I probably spend $20,000+ a year on everything extra I do (supps and hormones).

Too bad dietary supplements are not a tax deduction or I would spend way more than I do.

Edited by pycnogenol, 23 November 2011 - 12:13 AM.

• like x 1

#29 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:03 PM

Duke
To achieve and maintain your 25-OH-D3 serum level of 85 ng/ml, how much vitamin D3 do you supplement daily?
Also, have you had a bone density test (DEXA or the like)?

Edited by APBT, 24 November 2011 - 06:05 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:19 PM

You don't need to spend $20,000+ extra per year to maximize your life span. Maybe, if you have some kind of expensive disease and there is no public health care. :)

Edited by Trip, 24 November 2011 - 06:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users