* * * * * 27 votes

Chemically induced LTP?

ciltep pde4 forskolin ltp

• Please log in to reply
2626 replies to this topic

#271 summertimex

• 88 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:42 AM

I'm considering trying the Forskolin + Artichoke combo as I am in need of mental endurance.

My concern is cAMP build up in the PFC which would lead to impaired working memory. I know little about PDE4 (or any subtype really) or where they are located. How can I be sure I don't overflood this region? Also, boosting cAMP is essentially the same as boosting norepinephrine and this exacerbates my anxiety, will this be a problem?

Hi I have anxiety also which im allieviating with supplements. At the come up there could be slight irritation as there is a kind of "amplified" feeling that runs through the body, but overall it depends on how bad it is and how yours is alleviated. Mostly it goes along with whatever moods you may be having, its not like a caffeine cortisol increase. You may want to lower daytime cortisol with phosphatidylserine complex. Boosting cAMP is more primitive and different than neurotransmitter agonism its a second messenger. You probably have to worry about the other functions of forskolin extract a bit more. Although thats what it eventually leads to, its still not like wellbutrin or ephinephrine.

#272 gizmobrain

• 548 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:09 AM

In response to my own Vitamin C post earlier, I think at some point in the near future, I'm going to try to make my own DIY liposomal Vitamin C.

Any news about Sulbutiamine, Idebenone, or Galantamine combining with this stack? I'm really hoping to find something that helps with some of the gaps that are left in my cognitive "dys"-function. Anyone done much research into peptides?

Speaking of DIY liposomal supps... anyone want to take a stab at what a liposomal forskolin would do? Here's a hint, if you can interpret it for me: Liposome delivery of cyclic AMP-dependent protein kinase inhibitor into intact cells: specific blockade of cyclic AMP-mediated adrenocorticotropin release from mouse anterior pituitary tumor cells.

That's an old study... maybe not of use.

Edited by zrbarnes, 03 June 2012 - 06:44 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#273 abelard lindsay

• Topic Starter
  • 873 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:35 AM

I took 8mg of VRP Galantamine with CILTEP today (2 Artichoke Pills, 1 Forskolin, 2 Phenylalanine, Caffeine as needed), it made my Grammatical Reasoning on cambridgebrainsciences.com go up to my all time high (27) twice in a row which I've only matched once previously over the months I've been regularly taking the test. I think it certainly does something in that area. It didn't affect any of my other scores. I was able to read over 100 pages in the Ruby Programming book today with plenty of breaks to attend to various obligations. I would subjectively say that it was a better than average studying session and felt satisfying intellectually. The best way I find to benchmark the CILTEP effects of a stack is to see how long I can continuously study difficult material and absorb it such that I feel satisfied that I am learning. I fall asleep or lose interest or start re-reading paragraphs twice when I'm not on CILTEP after studying for about an hour or so normally. When taking CILTEP, I can go for hours and it's fascinating the whole time.

Interestingly, Piracetam does not have an effect on LTP according to this study
http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/1516646

Piracetam and hydergine did not have an effect on LTP,

And this one..
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20726885

Tiagabine, diazepam, lamotrigine and piracetam resulted in nonsignificant trends towards reduction of LTP-like plasticity

So this leads me to believe that the modes of action and effects of Piracetam and CILTEP are orthogonal (non-overlapping).

Edited by abelard lindsay, 03 June 2012 - 07:42 AM.

#274 CognitionCoefficient

• 68 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:57 AM

I gather from reading this thread that with regard to CILTEP:
(1) There is little if any known effect of working memory.
(2) There is little if any known effect on intelligence (g).

and...

(3) There may be some positive effect on executive function and attention.

(1) and (2) are notoriously difficult to improve upon, but I'd be happy to see (3).

#275 Jhaver

• 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:52 AM

So I have been following since page 2 until 4. I understand the main concepts and indications for the Phosphodiesterase inhibitor, stimulant, and the forskolin. Could someone help me out and list the remaining stack supplements. I am currently taking 20mg IR tabs twice a day and need a way out. I feel like many of you guys may have been in my situation.

So If any one could please list the stack with a good STARTING dose for each, you may be doing me the biggest favor of my life.

I have Just 1 other question. Can you use L-arginine along with the artichoke PDE4 inhib, as a Vasodialtor for a pre-workout.supplement. I guess it would be like using a PDE5 in a high dose. I don't know, I just don't want to die.
Thanks. Keep it up.

#276 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

What dose of quercetin induces maximal PDE4 inhibition? I take 6 gram a day now till i get forskolin.

Besides luteolin inhibits PDE12345 all allmost as potent wich probably makes it far superior.

#277 gizmobrain

• 548 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

The bad thing about blanket inhibiting every enzyme we come across is side-effects. That's why it would seem that selective, targeted inhibitors are superior. For instance:

Eur J Pharmacol. 2010 Feb 10;627(1-3):269-75. Epub 2009 Oct 22.
Luteolin, a non-selective competitive inhibitor of phosphodiesterases 1-5, displaced [3H]-rolipram from high-affinity rolipram binding sites and reversed xylazine/ketamine-induced anesthesia.

Yu MC, Chen JH, Lai CY, Han CY, Ko WC.

Source

Department of Internal Medicine, Taipei Municipal Wan-Fang Hospital, Taiwan.

Abstract

The aim of the present study was to investigate the mode of action of luteolin on phisphodiesterase (PDE) 1-5, and the possible adverse effects, such as nausea, vomiting, and gastric hypersecretion, determined by replacing [(3)H]-rolipram binding and reversing xylazine/ketamine-induced anesthesia. The reversing effect was reported to occur through a presynaptic alpha(2)-adrenoceptor inhibition and trigger vomiting in ferrets. In contrast, clonidine, an alpha(2)-adrenoceptor agonist, prevented emesis induced by PDE4 inhibitors in ferrets. According to the Lineweaver-Burk analysis, luteolin (3-30 microM) competitively inhibited PDE1-5 activities, with K(i) values of 15.0, 6.4, 13.9, 11.1, and 9.5 microM, respectively, which did not significantly differ from each other. The equilibrium dissociation constant (K(d)) and maximal density (B(max)) for [(3)H]-rolipram binding at high-affinity rolipram binding sites of guinea pig brain cell membranes were 10.1 nM and 3.7 p mol/g of tissue, respectively. The EC(50) (PDE4(H)) values of luteolin and Ro 20-1724, a selective PDE4 inhibitor, for displacing 2 nM [(3)H]-rolipram binding were 11.2 microM and 45.6 nM, respectively. The therapeutic (PDE4(H)/PDE4(L)) ratios of luteolin and Ro 20-1724 were calculated to be 0.6, and 0.004, respectively. Both luteolin (10-30 micromol/kg, s.c.) and Ro 20-1724 (0.1-1 micromol/kg, s.c.) significantly reversed the xylazine/ketamine-induced anesthesia in mice. Although luteolin non-selectively and competitively inhibited PDE1-5, only PDE4 inhibition contributed to a reversing effect. In conclusion, because of the low therapeutic (PDE4(H)/PDE4(L)) ratio of luteolin, the gastrointestinal adverse effects such as nausea, vomiting and gastric hypersecretion should be carefully monitored, whenever luteolin is used for treating allergies, asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
Copyright © 2009 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved. PMID:19853596

Edited by zrbarnes, 03 June 2012 - 05:15 PM.

#278 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:18 PM

Thats just related to PDE4 inhibition not to non selectivity.

Inhibition of most appears to be beneficial so id just say fuck them all.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#279 gizmobrain

• 548 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

Thats just related to PDE4 inhibition not to non selectivity.

Inhibition of most appears to be beneficial so id just say fuck them all.

Haha, yeah. I'd still like to see a few more studies mapping out what the various PDE subtypes are doing before committing to long term inhibition.

I'm still actively searching and hoping for a long term replacement for quercetin/lutelolin because of the possible DNA damage due to endoreduplication. It's great for killing cancer... but not so great for longevity.

Edited by zrbarnes, 03 June 2012 - 05:26 PM.

#280 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

I wonder wheter pentoxyfilone inhibits PDE9.

Looks like you may get the max out of this thing with luteolin, pentoxyfiline, forskolin, amphetamine, nefiracetam atleast looking at the pathways involved in LTP this will target it all but may be overkill.

#281 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

Haha, yeah. I'd still like to see a few more studies mapping out what the various PDE subtypes are doing before committing to long term inhibition.

I'm still actively searching and hoping for a long term replacement for quercetin/lutelolin because of the possible DNA damage due to endoreduplication. It's great for killing cancer... but not so great for longevity.

Get that med lufega used its a selective PDE4 inhibitor; or get pento or so.

#282 8bitmore

• 347 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

[....]So If any one could please list the stack with a good STARTING dose for each, you may be doing me the biggest favor of my life.

I have Just 1 other question. Can you use L-arginine along with the artichoke PDE4 inhib [...]

On page seven abelard lindsay wrote up a very decent summary including initial doses of the components involved in the stack, see: http://www.longecity...792#entry516792

As to your final question:L-Arginine does not readily cross the blood brain barrier but all the same: take these supplements at seperate times of the day - will allows you to tell the effects apart and minimize chances of unforeseen interactions.

#283 summertimex

• 88 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:20 PM

I dont think anyone should "overdrive" the PDE inhibition because it might turn out something like acetylcholinesterase inhibition (alzhiemers dysregulation). What you want to do is kind of compound the system, but let it run instead of jam up in processes.

http://4.bp.blogspot...s1600/AChE.jpeg

http://www.jneurosci...5/9513.full.pdf

PDE4B seems to be a genetic culprit of activating DISC1 gene which is implicated in severe mental illness, but cAMP does not affect this subtype. I'm looking for the negative effects of PDE4 inhibition. Also PDE4 downregulation seems to be positive for depression.

Edited by gen6k, 03 June 2012 - 06:50 PM.

#284 abelard lindsay

• Topic Starter
  • 873 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

I dont think anyone should "overdrive" the PDE inhibition because it might turn out something like acetylcholinesterase inhibition (alzhiemers dysregulation). What you want to do is kind of compound the system, but let it run instead of jam up in processes.

http://4.bp.blogspot...s1600/AChE.jpeg

http://www.jneurosci...5/9513.full.pdf

PDE4B seems to be a genetic culprit of activating DISC1 gene which is implicated in severe mental illness, but cAMP does not affect this subtype. I'm looking for the negative effects of PDE4 inhibition. Also PDE4 downregulation seems to be positive for depression.

One factor mediating any PDE4 problems that I've seen so far is that the effect wears off and goes back to baseline after a reasonable period of time. Quercetin can take more than 24 hours though so I find it's better to stick with Artichoke extract. It's a bit more predictable. I've been taking this for a long time and haven't really developed significant tolerance to its effects so, based on that, I don't think there's much of an issue with PDE4 upregulation. In the past, when I've taken way too much Quercetin and Forskolin I have had some mentally unpleasant and annoying effects so experimenting with mega-dosing is not recommended IMHO.

Edited by abelard lindsay, 03 June 2012 - 11:05 PM.

#285 magta39

• 131 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:32 PM

I have Just 1 other question. Can you use L-arginine along with the artichoke PDE4 inhib, as a Vasodialtor for a pre-workout.supplement. I guess it would be like using a PDE5 in a high dose. I don't know, I just don't want to die.
Thanks. Keep it up.

I have taken 12 grams of arginine in a drink mix and 500mgs quercetin preworkout with no problem.

#286 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:37 AM

I realized I really don't get along with L-tyrosine. It makes me have a weird kind of headache. I'll have to try phenylanaline instead...

#287 middpanther88

• 185 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

I definitely feel the motivational effects (which's good enough for me!), but should I be feeling a cognitive effect, as one would with say, pramiracetam? I'm taking the standard CILTEP stack with l-tyrosine.

(Also, what's everyone's experience w the CILTEP stack+dopamine source+vinpocetine?)

Edited by middpanther88, 06 June 2012 - 07:37 PM.

#288 trip96

• 19 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:27 PM

Ok here is what I've been doing.

First a little bit about me. I am 24 weigh 175 lbs exercise very regularly. I eat mostly home grown foods if not that then usually fresh fruits and vegetables along with meat. I own my own recording studio and am learning a new instrument as this stack was introduced. I also play sports so there have been some interesting results.

Time frame: have been trying the CILTEP stack for about 2 weeks now.

My stack:

Morning on empty stomach

CILTEP:
Forskolin 15 mg
L theanine 200 mg
Subulthiamine 500 mg

Quercetin 500mg

Coffee (one cup of drip maker)

I eat food with a coffee.

Now in the past 5 days I also put 60 mcg of methelyne blue into my coffee.

Generally I do go from sleepy into awake mode faster. Quercetin has been the best allergy medication for me by far that helps a lot I am sure. Theanine helps with caffiene from coffee as I can get jittery. Also theanine has some sort of effect on dopamine if I remember correctly from earlier.

People have been asking about sulbuthiamine. It does develop a tolerance quickly but I take it everyday and if I miss a day or take two off I have yet to notice withdrawal. It synergies nicely because in the morning you're looking for a wake up sulbuthiamine can definitely help. Also, I drink a lot of tea. With the added coffee in the morning I have read about tea and coffee conflicting with thiamine absorption. I see that sulbuthiamine may be good with that then too. Sulbuthiamine isn't speed but I believe it helps remove fog or fatigue.

Motivation is much better on this stack. Of course I've only been doing this for 2 weeks but I would say its been a very productive 2 weeks. I remember a lot of NEW material. Muscle memory for learning violin is accelerated and so is existing piano muscle memory along with learning new techniques and musical phrases. Sports hand eye is improved as is cardio recovery. I attribute this to methelyne blue. Someone described methelyne blue as "clean energy" I think it is a good description. Methelyne blue and CILTEP work well together in my expieriemce.

CILTEP also works well with pramiracetam. This has been mentioned before but I am adding that I agree its a nice combo. Piracetam and CILTEP doesn't do much for me and I have not tested aniracetam or oxiracetam although I have both.

Quercetin lasts pretty much all day as I will start to get a little stuffy later on in the evening and it sometimes comes in waves. I like quercetins time frame, others do not. I also haven't tried artichoke extract so I have nothing to compare to.

Take aways (all anecdotal and specific to my limited expierience so far)

For me CILTEP is the perfect morning nootropic stack. Quercetin, forskolin, l-theanine, sulbuthiamine and coffee.
CILTEP seems to last all day.
CILTEP and pramiracetam work well together
CILTEP and sulbuthiamine work fine together.
Methelyne blue and CILTEP work fine together.
CILTEP accelerates learning of musical instruments and may help hand eye coordination, or sports muscle memory.

What am I trying next?

I am interested to try vinpocetine and others have been asking for it so now I will add to the morning stack, 15 mg of vinpocetine and get back soon.

I will also try the other racetams (oxi, ani, pramiracetam)

• like x 1

#289 gizmobrain

• 548 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:06 PM

I need to update this thread with some of my recent results, but I just wanted to thank you, trip96 for reporting back. I've been very curious about how Methylene Blue and Sulbutiamine would stack, so it's nice to hear some information.

Since dropping the Adderall, I've really been looking for something to get me going in the morning. Even with 50mg caffeine, it's been a challenge. I'm still feeling out the Catuaba. It seems nice, but takes a good hour before I really feel its effects.

Maybe Sulbutiamine will be the final piece to the puzzle.

#290 summertimex

• 88 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:13 PM

I need to update this thread with some of my recent results, but I just wanted to thank you, trip96 for reporting back. I've been very curious about how Methylene Blue and Sulbutiamine would stack, so it's nice to hear some information.

Since dropping the Adderall, I've really been looking for something to get me going in the morning. Even with 50mg caffeine, it's been a challenge. I'm still feeling out the Catuaba. It seems nice, but takes a good hour before I really feel its effects.

Maybe Sulbutiamine will be the final piece to the puzzle.

For nicotine its usually a 2 month alternation of neurochemistry to get back to baseline. If you havent been taking adderall for a majority of your adult life, or if there is no serious neurotoxicity then your executive function should eventually through time go back to normal. Having everything needed is essential for quitting a drug, and doing a pure vegetable/fruit detox also helps reset this neurochemistry. I was a coffee drinker for about 6 years and quit, and actually wish I had these types of supplements instead back in highschool.

#291 cougar

• 114 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:53 AM

Having followed this thread for a long time, I finally decided to give it a go. Unfortunately I was not able to get the brands of Artichoke and Forskolin recommended by abelard lindsay because they were frequently running out of stock at iherb. Apparently a lot of people are following this thread. I used Jarrow Artichoke 500mg and LEF Forskolin 10mg instead.

I started this stack on last Friday. I took 500mg Artichoke and 6mg Forskolin on empty stomach first thing in the morning. Other than dropping the Ashwagandha as I was not sure of possible bad interaction with CILTEP, I kept everything else in my stack. That was a very bad day in terms of cognitive functioning. Very bad attention and focus, writing was not easy, bad typing fluency accompanied by worsened finger pain while typing, slowed processing speed, very sleepy etc etc and etc. Because of being too sleepy, I added 2.2g Madre Labs CaféCeps at around 12pm which helped a lot with alertness. But still, I was stupid that day. It wasn't until in the night when I stared feeling much better which I believe was because of this stack being wearied out.

The next day I dropped Forskolin dosage to 4mg and I was feeling a little bit better but still bad overall. From the third day to fifth day, I took only 3mg Forskolin, still no major improvements, except on the fifth day, I got big improvement, and that was when I added back Ashwagandha. The attention and focus got noticeably better in morning. Processing speed also improved but still suffering. I suspected it to be the problem with acetylcholine as I remembered reading from somewhere that Ashwagandha was an AChE, and I got a lot better since adding Ashwagandha that morning. Therefor I added another 300mg Alpha GPC before lunch which had made a world of difference. Every aspects of my cognitive functioning improved dramatically, from mental energy to processing speed, to writing fluidity, to typing fluency and pain from fingers all got a lot better. And I found out a lot of careless mistakes in my journal. I also noticed much better mood while driving back home in the afternoon. However, I continued to make careless mistakes in the evening, I deleted an important folder on my hard drive and I had never made this kind of mistake in the past.

Today I decrease the Forskolin dosage further to 2mg and was basically the same story as yesterday, not very good (still much better than the first 3 days though) in the beginning but definitely got big improvement after adding in another 300mg Alpha GPC.

Since all my symptoms while on CILTEP stack seemed to be classical sign of acetylcholine deficiency, especially the slowed processing speed which causes the brain to ignore lots of signals, and I responded very well on the cholinergic stuff I added in, I started to suspect Forskolin (or Artichoke) being an anti-cholinergic, I searched on the Internet and came up with a study "Forskolin increases the rate of acetylcholine receptor desensitization at rat soleus endplates".

Abstract We have studied the function of acetylcholine (AcCho) receptors (AcChoRs) in rat soleus endplates before and after exposing the muscles to forskolin, a potent activator of adenylate cyclase. AcChoR function was tested by recording the membrane depolarization evoked by pulses of ionophoretically applied AcCho. Brief (2 msec) AcCho pulses delivered at 7 Hz evoked constant responses at untreated endplates. In contrast, after 10-100 microM forskolin was added to the bath, responses to similar pulse trains fell by as much as 80% within 1 sec. AcCho sensitivity recovered completely in less than 1 min after the pulses were stopped but fell again when the pulses were resumed. Similarly, longer (1 sec) ionophoretic AcCho pulses evoked roughly constant responses at control endplates, but after forskolin treatment the depolarization fell by one-half within less than 200 msec. These results indicate that forskolin increases the rate at which AcChoRs desensitize when exposed to agonist. Focal extracellular recordings showed that 20-100 microM forskolin also increased the decay rate of miniature endplate currents, indicating that forskolin may decrease AcChoR channel open time. Inhibitors of cAMP phosphodiesterase increased the potency of forskolin. When used alone, these inhibitors had effects similar to those of forskolin but smaller. Patch-clamp experiments indicated that forskolin at 100 microM may also interact with AcChoR channels directly, but at 20 microM this effect is negligible. Therefore, it is likely that the forskolin effects were mediated primarily by increased levels of intracellular cAMP.

→ source (external link)

I haven't got time to read carefully the full study yet, but I have started to get a bit nervous as to whether this stack is healthy to the brain long term. I don't think desensitizing acetylcholine receptor is a good thing. I hope somebody could take a close look at this study, especially when the full study is easily available on Google search :).

I'm eager to hearing from you guys with regard to my new discovery.

#292 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:32 AM

What is your full stack?

#293 magta39

• 131 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:22 AM

I have read that galantamine increases or restores Ach receptor sensitivity

#294 abelard lindsay

• Topic Starter
  • 873 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:51 AM

I haven't got time to read carefully the full study yet, but I have started to get a bit nervous as to whether this stack is healthy to the brain long term. I don't think desensitizing acetylcholine receptor is a good thing. I hope somebody could take a close look at this study, especially when the full study is easily available on Google search :).

http://www.ncbi.nlm....cles/PMC323865/

Therefore, it is likely that the forskolin effects were mediated primarily by increased levels of intracellular cAMP.

According to the study, raising intracellular cAMP, which is what we're doing here, is supposed to cause the effect. So according to the study, Forskolin isn't directly responsible.

So therefore, according to the study, if you get raised cAMP (the CILTEP effect), you're going to get the decreased AcHe receptor sensitivity due to increased cAMP. Personally, I haven't experienced this problem, but I take choline every day.

It's interesting to hear that choline supplementation helped mitigate this problem. I was unable to find the exact reason that Piracetam needs choline to work. There's plenty of experimental evidence that the two are great together but there is no explanation that I could find as to why they are synergistic. Perhaps there are similar dynamics at work here?

On the days I've skipped CILTEP I didn't notice any significant memory issues and I haven't built up a tolerance so far.

Edited by abelard lindsay, 07 June 2012 - 05:07 AM.

#295 gizmobrain

• 548 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:12 AM

For nicotine its usually a 2 month alternation of neurochemistry to get back to baseline. If you havent been taking adderall for a majority of your adult life, or if there is no serious neurotoxicity then your executive function should eventually through time go back to normal. Having everything needed is essential for quitting a drug, and doing a pure vegetable/fruit detox also helps reset this neurochemistry. I was a coffee drinker for about 6 years and quit, and actually wish I had these types of supplements instead back in highschool.

I started taking Adderall when I was 24, and took it for 6 months (started at 20mg a day, and was up to 60mg a day by the end). I then took a year holiday. In mid-March of this year, I started taking 5mg/day of Adderall + 5mg of Selegiline for a month and a half in combo with CILTEP. I dropped the Adderall about a month ago.

Back when I would take the higher doses, it would take about 3 days before I would feel "normal" again (essentially withdrawal), and a couple months for my short-term memory to get back to normal. On the low dose, I didn't notice any withdrawal when I stopped, but I'm sure my brain is still subtly fixing itself.

However, that all being said... My entire life has consisted of me having an extremely hard time getting out of bed in the morning (except when I was taking Adderall). I've tried many, many different strategies, and even if I manage to have physical energy, I still have mental brain fog and extremely low motivation. I can't keep my eyes open, and I feel overwhelmingly relaxed and content to sleep the day away (well, until about 12-14 hours of sleep, then I just feel guilty and sore). Caffeine used to not help at all. With CILTEP, it helps me to clear the cobwebs a bit and get out of bed, but I find myself struggling most days for at least the first couple hours I'm awake. It takes an extreme amount of will-power some days to prevent myself from climbing back into bed.

So I'll have to give Sulbutiamine a shot, and see how it goes... but I don't have the cash right now, unfortunately.

Edited by zrbarnes, 07 June 2012 - 08:23 AM.

#296 CognitionCoefficient

• 68 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:03 AM

One factor mediating any PDE4 problems that I've seen so far is that the effect wears off and goes back to baseline after a reasonable period of time. Quercetin can take more than 24 hours though so I find it's better to stick with Artichoke extract. It's a bit more predictable. I've been taking this for a long time and haven't really developed significant tolerance to its effects so, based on that, I don't think there's much of an issue with PDE4 upregulation. In the past, when I've taken way too much Quercetin and Forskolin I have had some mentally unpleasant and annoying effects so experimenting with mega-dosing is not recommended IMHO.

Does the main criticism of Quercetin focus around it's half-life and is artichoke extract the favoured substitute in this stack?

#297 middpanther88

• 185 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:07 AM

I tried this stack w pramiracetam (and ALCAR as the choline supp), and I don't know if I haven't had pram in a long time or not, but I didn't find it suitable. I felt overstim'd.

#298 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:23 AM

I bought some L-phenylalanine to replace my l-tryrosine. MUCH better! All the good stuff without the weird head feeling!

#299 abelard lindsay

• Topic Starter
  • 873 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:53 AM

Does the main criticism of Quercetin focus around it's half-life and is artichoke extract the favoured substitute in this stack?

The reason I don't take Quercetin with this stack is the half-life issue and I subjectively feel that the PDEs inhibited by Artichoke Extract are more agreeable. There are many variants of PDEs in the brain and Artichoke and Quercetin have different ones they inhibit at different strengths (ic50s). At some point it would be good to make a big ol' spreadsheet of all the herbal PDE inhibitors and what isoforms research has shown they inhibit and at what strength. Until I get time to do that though, Artichoke is the one I like the best so far.

Edited by abelard lindsay, 08 June 2012 - 02:54 AM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#300 trip96

• 19 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:59 AM

I tried this stack w pramiracetam (and ALCAR as the choline supp), and I don't know if I haven't had pram in a long time or not, but I didn't find it suitable. I felt overstim'd.

Hey! Just wondering your dosage for the pram. My dosage was 300 mg and it worked out nicely.

Zrbarnes, if you can get the sulbuthiamine cheap try it. If not I am not sure if it would make the biggest difference.

CognitionCoefficient, I think that's the main criticism however I wrote earlier that it's been good, it helps allergies too. I also only dose CILTEP once a day.

On the topic of forskolin reducing acetylcholine sensitivity, like Lindsay, I have not noticed a problem here. No symptoms of reduced sensitivity but I also take a multitude of acetylcholine precursors like choline bitartrate, acetyl l carnitine, DMAE, sometimes small doses of huperzine a.

I really like the idea of l- phenylalanine and plan on getting some too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ciltep, pde4, forskolin, ltp

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By