• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

Why is Piracetam Schedule 4 in Australia?

piracetam australia schedule 4

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Verne

• 102 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:12 AM

The negative side effects are negligible at best. It's ridiculous that this can't be purchased as easily as paracetamol or Vitamin C. Actually, paracetamol is a million times more harmful than piracetam, which is saying something since paracetamol isn't really all that harmful anyway.

What was the reason for this drug being filed as a schedule 4 substance when it is clinically proven not to be harmful or toxic, you can't even overdose on the stuff, nor is there any reason a person would want to because it doesn't exactly get you high.

If anything they should be promoting piracetam in the hopes of making a smarter Australia, not infringing on our democratic (And personal) rights by making it a controlled substance for no other reason except pure arrogance and stupidity.

I just find it frustrating, that's all.

Edited by Verne, 06 November 2011 - 11:13 AM.

#2 Verne

• Topic Starter
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:22 AM

Four days and not a single response. I gather then that nobody (including myself) has absolutely no idea why it's been made such a difficult substance to get here.

#3 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:35 PM

Because the Aussie Gov and The kiwi goverment are wankers.
  • like x 2
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:49 PM

Honestly, what reasoning could there be? It's been prescription for a while, but was only scheduled in 2007. Maybe a pharma company leaned on some politicians because they thought they were losing money, or maybe it's just like any number of AUS's other moral regulation laws, and someone wants to bureaucratize as much of your life as possible.
  • like x 1

#5 Verne

• Topic Starter
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:48 AM

So it really has been made illegal for no legitimate reason. What do you think could be done to reverse this silly decision?

#6 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:44 PM

I'm not really that familiar with AUS legal stuff, except for the more sensational stories (Little Red Schoolbook, handcuffs in NSW, censorship, etc). As a rule, it's harder to get something undone, once it's on the books. It would be one thing if it was a more natural supplement like ALCAR, but the fact that it's also a prescription drug means it will probably be tougher to get it de-regulated. You might look around to see if there are any 'supplement activists' in the country, though it's fairly rare even in the larger US market, so it's doubtful.

At least the other racetams haven't been picked on. Still really frustrating though, I agree.

#7 Erstwhile

• 36 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:40 AM

Not related to Australia, but i'd just like to commiserate by noting that Singapore schedules Piracetam as a poison too. I don't know the reasons either, but they are undoubtedly extremely asinine as well. All hail the Commonwealth!

#8 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:36 AM

You could contact Today Tonight, A Current Affair or one of the others to run a story. I have found the mere mention of such programs often gets things happening.

So it really has been made illegal for no legitimate reason. What do you think could be done to reverse this silly decision?

#9 SuperjackDid_

• 528 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:41 PM

I think Piracetam is really poison,
try search for this board so many experience post that a lot of people get ADD or Depress from Piracetam use,
including me

when poison get into body ,body try to get rid out of it ,and you will feel more alert ,why people like it,

but when continue use ,it damage to brain ,

my ability for read or write get really bad after use Piracetam for a while,
i think people should avoid Piracetam ,it really poison .

Some detoxify supplement is help like NAC or Alpha LIpoic acid .
but i'm not sure it help for long term,i still on Piracetam almost everyday

anyone can clearify about this topic answer,i just to share my experince ,
i used to be good in reading,understanding , writing ,but Piracetam give me ADD

N=1? ,as i told a lot of users that post bad experiences on this board,please rethink about it .

Piracetam is huge placebo effect also,do not try it if you not yet try.
  • dislike x 10
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#10 Verne

• Topic Starter
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:48 PM

try search for this board so many experience post that a lot of people get ADD or Depress from Piracetam use,
including me

when poison get into body ,body try to get rid out of it ,and you will feel more alert ,why people like it,

N=1? ,as i told a lot of users that post bad experiences on this board,please rethink about it .

This is the first I've heard of this, and I've been quite persistent with my research.

"try search for this board so many experience post that a lot of people get ADD or Depress from Piracetam use"

Doing a search on this board and Google seems to reveal the exact opposite of what you claim.
And personally, the effects go anything beyond a placebo of simply "feeling good" or "feeling smarter". My memory recall really has improved, my concentration has definitely, without a single doubt, has improved. My mood has also risen (Though I've heard reports of flat mood as a result of piracetam use).

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience Nootropix, maybe you had a bad batch? Maybe it just doesn't work for you like it works for others. Maybe it has a more beneficial effect on the mentally ill (Since you say you were quite healthy before use). Or maybe you're just blaming piracetam for these issues as some sort of coping/blame game method.

WorksForMeTM

Edit: All that's besides the point though. Piracetam isn't a poison by definition, and shouldn't be classed as such. It's a blatant abuse of drug control laws. Basically banning something simply because they feel like it, or out of boredom.

Edited by Verne, 15 November 2011 - 09:51 PM.

#11 Geovicsha

• 80 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:56 PM

The Australian Government by nature are resistant towards innovativeness. Perhaps they felt that there wasn’t enough substantive studies to clarify its benefits – in a black and white mode of thinking, if it is not of concrete benefit to those with a healthy brain, than the only alternative is that it is a danger.

I’ve read accounts of it getting past customs regardless of the Schedule IV classification. Perhaps they don’t care? Ani, Prami and Oxi are all unscheduled. So stupid.

I'm here for you, fellow Aussie! :)

Edited by Geovicsha, 17 November 2011 - 01:57 PM.

• like x 1

#12 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:57 PM

I’ve read accounts of it getting past customs regardless of the Schedule IV classification. Perhaps they don’t care?

I have as well. Honestly, it probably depends on the individual customs officer who happens to inspect it, and their mood/attitude toward supplements/understanding of piracetam and its regulation history/etc.

#13 Geovicsha

• 80 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:26 AM

Yeah, I definitely agree, chrono.

I'm almost tempted to take the plunge but am a bit apprehensive as to possible worst scenarios. I'd get a warning at most and it confiscated, surely?

#14 Verne

• Topic Starter
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:00 AM

I'm almost tempted to take the plunge but am a bit apprehensive as to possible worst scenarios. I'd get a warning at most and it confiscated, surely?

I recently received my order of 120 x 800mg Capsules from Cognitive Nutrition. It's all dependent on luck, really.

I would like to buy it in larger amounts, but I don't have the leisure of throwing money around with the chance that a bulk order may be confiscated and result in me receiving a fine.

Piracetam should not be schedule 4. It's not the difficulty of getting it that annoys me so much as the principle of the matter. It's harmless, beneficial, and should be available for use by Australian citizens.

Bloody hell.

#15 sambocyn

• 16 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:56 AM

here in the US, we give meth to children and deny weed to cancer patients. who knows?
  • like x 1

#16 sambocyn

• 16 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:04 AM

as for Scheduling...

cocaine (very addictive) is Schedule II, while ibogaine (non-addictive) is Schedule I. in fact, ibogaine is being used to facilitate introspection and allay withdrawal in cocaine addicts.

the US's drug laws are not only ignorant, but inconsistent.
  • like x 2

#17 az3r132

• 18 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

A lot of people take the posts here quite seriously. If you want to claim things like you are doing you should provide scientific evidence.
Piracetam is not a poison. I will refer to an excerpt.

In acute toxicity studies that attempted to determine Piracetam's "LD50" (the lethal dose which kills 50% of test animals), Piracetam failed to achieve an LD50 when given to rats intravenously at 8gm/kg bodyweight. Similarly, oral LD50 studies in mice, rats, and dogs given 10gm Piracetam/kg bodyweight also produced no LD50! This would he mathematically equivalent to giving a 70 kg (154 pound) person 700gm (1.54 pounds) of Piracetam! As Tacconi and Wurtman note, ''Piracetam apparently is virtually non-toxic. Rats treated chronically with 100 to 1,000 mg/kg orally for 6 months and dogs treated with as much as 10g/kg orally for 1 year did not show any toxic effect. No teratogenic (birth deformity) effects were found, nor was behavioral tolerance noted." Thus, Piracetam must be considered one of the toxicologically safest drugs ever developed.

Meanwhile a real poison like caffeine (natural insecticide) has a median lethal dose of 150 to 200 milligrams per kilogram of body mass in humans. The lower bound of which is only 10.5 grams for a 70kg human.

Edited by az3r132, 30 March 2012 - 12:02 PM.

• like x 1

#18 Serapis

• 4 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

including me

The 'About Me' section of your profile speaks otherwise...

#19 gray.bot

• 262 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

I’ve read accounts of it getting past customs regardless of the Schedule IV classification. Perhaps they don’t care? Ani, Prami and Oxi are all unscheduled. So stupid.

I’ve read accounts of it getting past customs regardless of the Schedule IV classification. Perhaps they don’t care?

I have as well. Honestly, it probably depends on the individual customs officer who happens to inspect it, and their mood/attitude toward supplements/understanding of piracetam and its regulation history/etc.

I recently received my order of 120 x 800mg Capsules from Cognitive Nutrition. It's all dependent on luck, really.

I would like to buy it in larger amounts, but I don't have the leisure of throwing money around with the chance that a bulk order may be confiscated and result in me receiving a fine.

Are you guys serious? Shjeez.

I've brought in kilos and kilos of the stuff in everything from a pill pottle of 800mg piracetam caps, to 1 kilo bags, to massive thousand dollar orders of bulk nootropics. Anything and everything you can think of and I've never ever EVER had a problem, EVER.

This is from many different suppliers from all over the world too. I've never thought twice about it. Why would you?

You can easily get any of this stuff into Australia, customs don't even care one bit. Sometimes you'll get a 'customs inspected this package' slip, other times not. All it says is they checked it and passed it. They won't fine you or confiscate it, what planet are you guys on?

Harden up Aussies. Just click, order and pay and you'll receive it no problems.

To OP: Yeah who knows why it's sched 4. The TGA actually also bans production over here and also wholesale/retail. I think its a conspiracy to keep the general population dumbed down (similar to the flouride in our water... well that's not a conspiracy that's fact...)

#20 SuperjackDid_

• 528 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

POISON.

poisonous energy

Edited by Nootropix, 29 November 2012 - 12:06 PM.

• dislike x 2

#21 Sobriquet

• 16 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

Yea, what chrono said. bskly pharm. is politically charged.

www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33421

according to this guy:
"The only reason Piracetam went S4 was to harmonise with NZ legislation in the first place"

#22 noot13

• 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

We have a similar situation in South Africa where you risk an unlimited fine and imprisonment for importing piracetam and its analogs. Dumb and draconian! In fact just a while back I had to contact a US supplier to cancel an order of piracetam because of these laws. How can we progress when the small minded wield authority with impunity?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

• like x 1

#23 gray.bot

• 262 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

I've brought in kilos and kilos of the stuff in everything from a pill pottle of 800mg piracetam caps, to 1 kilo bags, to massive thousand dollar orders of bulk nootropics. Anything and everything you can think of and I've never ever EVER had a problem, EVER.

Update: I've imported another kilo from a brand new supplier since that post.

#24 Layberinthius

• 298 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:22 AM

cool, good to know that its still possible to import it.

I might try it in replacement of noopept.

#25 Dazzcat

• 91 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:45 PM

In New Zealand and I guess Australia too, it's easy to walk into a pharmacy and order plenty of drugs without prescription, including small doses of codeine. By this logic I think the racetam's (and melatonin) should be reclassified to pharmacy only medicine to align with scientific research and not political dogma, otherwise it is completely inconsistent with what else is sold in pharmacies without prescription.

Edited by Dazzcat, 09 February 2014 - 10:06 PM.

• Agree x 1

#26 Mush Man

• 17 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

You could contact Today Tonight, A Current Affair or one of the others to run a story. I have found the mere mention of such programs often gets things happening.

Quite the opposite actually,the more members at a local Vaping Community participated with the Press, the more threats of clamping down were rife and still are going on...hell Aus and NZ's ANZFA alliance are still with holding our right to eat low THC hulled Hemp Seeds and we are the only 2 continents/countries in the WORLD that cannot leagally consume one of the best food sources on the planet.

Yea, what chrono said. bskly pharm. is politically charged.

www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33421

according to this guy:
"The only reason Piracetam went S4 was to harmonise with NZ legislation in the first place"

Thelema is right, I know him well ;)
It's ANZFA > TGA, we have the same thing going with Importing Nicotine as it's always been S4 but I've been Vaping since 2011.
Customs and the TGA don't align unless they are told to by TPTB. They are having a hard time deciding when to reverse their statement that Nicotine is NOT therapeutic, when it is..it's a Nootropic and Anti-Depressant in it's own right, though a mild one.
The additives in a Ciggie are partly (% wise) carcinogenic and contain poisonous chemicals to feebase the Nic making it more powerful.
This is not the case with electronic cigarettes, yet the Nicotine is definitely therapeutic...Big Pharma and Big Baccy already have their E-Cig's ready for the shelves.
It's easy to get 2 or 3L of 100ml/mg PG/VG Nic from OS and the 3 month supply thing is a tall tale..it always has been ;)

#27 Nickthedevil

• 56 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:42 AM

It's good to see a bunch of enthusiasm for a rescheduling of Piracetam, the decision was made in 2006 to schedule Piracetam schedule 4 in Australia to harmonise with New Zealand's decision which was made in 2001. There is a process to reschedule things in Australia through the SUSMP which is the scheduling branch of the TGA, if there is any interest, I'll gladly upload a copy of my application to the SUSMP. I'm still finalizing it at the moment but I should be done in a few days.

As a side not Nicotine is wonderful, it acts on the same receptors as Choline, it's just those pesky free radical metabolites that are the problem I see with it, fun little chemical though.

#28 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:56 AM

It's good to see a bunch of enthusiasm for a rescheduling of Piracetam, the decision was made in 2006 to schedule Piracetam schedule 4 in Australia to harmonise with New Zealand's decision which was made in 2001. There is a process to reschedule things in Australia through the SUSMP which is the scheduling branch of the TGA, if there is any interest, I'll gladly upload a copy of my application to the SUSMP. I'm still finalizing it at the moment but I should be done in a few days.

As a side not Nicotine is wonderful, it acts on the same receptors as Choline, it's just those pesky free radical metabolites that are the problem I see with it, fun little chemical though.

It would be great to see it rescheduled together with melatonin. Both of these really should not be scheduled, they are considered supplements over most of the world.

On a slightly different note, I wish paracetamol with codeine wasn't treated like some criminal activity in Australia. I suffer some bad headaches and asking for it from the chemist and being quizzed makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong. I got told no once despite having an awful headache, had to go to another chemist or it would have developed into a migraine (it follows a very predictable pattern). Chemist was really cocky, treated my like I was some sort of junky looking for a fix - very insulting. I have tried everything else and nothing else works for me. Everyones different but I get treated like a criminal because my headaches require this rather than something easy to get.

#29 Nickthedevil

• 56 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:02 AM

Codeine isn't particularly difficult to get, I'm in WA and I have no trouble, you just have to be sincere about your pain issues, I would also say try to resolve those kinds of ongoing headaches you never know what it might be.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: piracetam, australia, schedule 4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users