• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Post-antidepressant brain fog - solutions?

antidepressants ssris brain fog concentration

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 epa

• 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:15 AM

Hi all,

I've been diagnosed with severe depression / anxiety / OCD in the past and have been on several antidepressants: Sertraline (~4 months), Mirtazepine (short period), Paroxetine (3.5 years). After weaning off Paroxetine I had extreme anxiety lasting perhaps a year. I've been free of antidepressants for 3 years, and haven't gone back to them because of the side effects (numbing of emotions, sexual effects) and finding them an unsatisfactory solution generally.

At this point I'm not sure if I need an antidepressant - I have a moderate amount of anxiety (completely manageable with certain supplements, e.g. theanine) and don't think I have severe depression anymore, but lack motivation for most activities and don't enjoy things like I used to. Nor would I consider myself obsessive-compulsive (no OC behaviours).

Worst is persistent "brain fog" - I can't think clearly or concentrate worth a damn. I've stopped reading because of trouble focusing and processing information. Learning is pretty much impossible - things don't sink in.

I really would like to avoid going back to antidepressants if at all possible, so -

Has anyone else been in this situation? Are nootropics advisable? Are there any specific supplements that have helped people with or are likely to?

Cheers
e

Edited by epa, 03 December 2011 - 08:18 AM.

#2 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:37 AM

The most obvious question first: are you certain you are not depressed still? Seems like these symptoms could be easily caused by a (mild) depression...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:15 AM

...and can also be caused by a number of other factors, including brain-chemistry changes caused by long-term usage of antidepressants, hepatic function, renal function, diet, allergies, diseases, toxic environment, etc.

It'd be nice to be able to narrow it down. It'd make fixing it much easier. :)

Have you had any blood tests done?

Toxins / metals hair test?

What are your sleep patterns like?

What is your diet like?

#4 godawgs706

• 1 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:36 AM

We are in the same boat. I was on Cymbalta for 4 years. I have been off for nearly a year and a half... and I can now hardly function. I'm totally disconnected from the world- nothing feels real. I'm out of it all the time!

I've had blood works, MRIs, etc. You name it... everything comes back normal.

Any luck on finding out how to get over it????

#5 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:29 AM

I'd suggest trying this:
http://www.longecity...ne-uridine-dha/
http://www.longecity...r-dha-vitamins/

It's worked for a few people, now.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 Michael Rian

• 163 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:40 PM

I am dealing with this exact same problem.  Has anyone recovered?  I am debating going back on anti-depressants, as much as I dont want to, I am getting desperate.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antidepressants, ssris, brain fog, concentration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users