- - - - -

Has anyone tried AD's for BDNF+GDNF?

anti depressant hallucingen bdnf gdnf

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nidhogg

• 66 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:24 AM

I see alot of neurotrophin enthusiasts on these forums, consuming herbs and research chemicals in hope to increase levels of neurotrophins. I find it funny because most of these herbs have little to no human research behind them, whilst the effects of antidepressants have long been linked to increased levels.

I am aware of that most of them require chronic use to notice an increase and sometimes even large doses. Some of them even have unpleasant side effects. But perhaps there is a real pearl somewhere in the AD jungle where we could reap the benefits with little to no sides?

Another interesting fact is that (chronic?)hallucinogens seem to induce neurotropin release aswell. This hasnt been researched thoroughly though. But if the same effects could be achieved from below-hallucination threshold dosages, i would eat shrooms for breakfest.

TLDR; Has anyone used AD's in purpose of increasing BDNF/GDNF?

#2 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:42 PM

I think most of us have read the research and decided that ultimately the cons outweighed the pros on using SSRIs or psychotropics to promote neurogenesis, etc. This has also been discussed here occasionally.

There are plenty of other options available that have human trials/studies demonstrating efficacy, not just personal experiences from people here. The ones that have limited human trials have generally been used by humans for other purposes, so at least the safety margin is reasonably well established. These will have rat/mouse studies that demonstrate nootropic behaviour. Others have been used in other cultures for thousands of years, for the same purpose and have only recently been 'discovered' by western medicine.

So basically, it all comes down to 'at what cost?'

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 nidhogg

• Topic Starter
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:05 PM

Well, when it comes to herbs its a matter of efficiency and not safety. Assuming a herb has been used in china for 5000 years and just recently its been discovered that it has cognitive enhancing effects on rats, it simply isnt enough make a conclusion. Another thing to keep in mind is that most mouse test subjects are genetically engineered to have a desired deficiency so the effects may not be alike in healthy mice.

But yea i agree with your point, its a matter of pros vs cons. And when it comes to AD theres plenty of cons to pick from.
Although i dont know where you get any hallucinogen cons from because afaik pure serotonin agonists dont even have neurotoxicity

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:18 PM

Ahhh.. You mean apart from being a hallucinogen? For a lot of people, that's the con. Besides, you wouldn't want to be tripping balls all week in the name of BDNF, it'd be hard to get things done and I think you may lose touch with reality.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anti depressant, hallucingen, bdnf, gdnf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users