* * * * * 3 votes

dihydromyricetin (DHM) as an alcohol intoxication blocker

dhm gaba alcohol

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#61 kevinseven11

• 385 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:22 AM

This compound is different from thujone in that it seems less likely to overdose. DHM's half life is only around an hour and half. Thujone is 25+ hours according to some sources.
Also Buydhm still hasn't replied to me.

Edited by kevinseven11, 24 November 2012 - 07:23 AM.

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#62 Hazbra

• 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

http://blucetin.com

Remember the first post in this topic - Dr. Liang has been mentioned - who led the research on DHM at UCLA. Now you can see the YouTube video with her talking about DHM and the commercial product called Blucetin (available and sold in US). Video is in Chinese but you get the idea.

Blucetin.com also has also some answers you might be interested to know. And at least their website doesn't look like some "stock" template for wordpress - which gives it some credit in my opinion.

I ordered sample - so will see.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

In the interest of science I tried 80% DHM (from a Chinese contact) with 3 ounces of Jack Daniels. (two ounces gives me a light buzz, three mildly drunk.)
Result: All the vomit-feeling nausea of too much to drink without the inebriation that makes it pleasant. So yes, if you need to sober up fast, well and good, but you will still suffer ethanol's other effects.
  • like x 1

#64 manic_racetam

• 937 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

http://blucetin.com

Remember the first post in this topic - Dr. Liang has been mentioned - who led the research on DHM at UCLA. Now you can see the YouTube video with her talking about DHM and the commercial product called Blucetin (available and sold in US). Video is in Chinese but you get the idea.

Blucetin.com also has also some answers you might be interested to know. And at least their website doesn't look like some "stock" template for wordpress - which gives it some credit in my opinion.

I ordered sample - so will see.

Interesting that the marketing is so targeted towards Chinese. DHM would really be much more "useful" in Chinese culture where excessive drinking is viewed as a positive and desired attribute, not just in macho-type one-up-man-ship among friends but also in business deals. I was often invited along on business dinners that I had nothing to do with, just to exploit my alcoholism as a way to impress clients. Chugging 62% Chinese liquor without flinching was apparently a very sought after attribute.

The professor in the interview says, "For example, if I used to be able to drink only one bottle of beer, [after taking this supplement] I can now drink 10."

And the commercial at the end made me chuckle, "I no longer have to worry about my Husband getting drunk!"

#65 dear mrclock

• 557 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:23 AM

In the interest of science I tried 80% DHM (from a Chinese contact) with 3 ounces of Jack Daniels. (two ounces gives me a light buzz, three mildly drunk.)
Result: All the vomit-feeling nausea of too much to drink without the inebriation that makes it pleasant. So yes, if you need to sober up fast, well and good, but you will still suffer ethanol's other effects.

so it prevents you from hangover or not ? all i understand is, it stops the high you get from alcohol. why would people drink if they dont wanna feel good on it ??

dumbest substance discussed on this forum so far.

Edited by dear mrclock, 23 December 2012 - 06:23 AM.

#66 MrHappy

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:56 AM

so it prevents you from hangover or not ? all i understand is, it stops the high you get from alcohol. why would people drink if they dont wanna feel good on it ??

It's useful if you've drunken too much and feel bad, or if you have a hangover.

For research purposes it can inhibit you feeling drunk. Could prove useful withdrawing from GABA agonists.

#67 dear mrclock

• 557 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

someone should try it for benzo withdrawl then. any takers ??

#68 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Works for opiates.

#69 manic_racetam

• 937 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

Works for opiates.

Do you know anything about it's effects on alcohol withdrawal? In regards to chronic alcoholism?

#70 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

You get the hangover as you drink, not after it's too late to stop. So it will enforce moderation. If you are already tipsy, it will clear yur head. Useful for a woman whose date is trying to get her drunk enough to mess with? Or poker players and pool sharks.

#71 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

Works for opiates.

Do you know anything about it's effects on alcohol withdrawal? In regards to chronic alcoholism?

no, I do not know of any western studies on that. however the Chinese formulation containing the plant (from which DHM is extracted ... the leaves are 30% DHM) is used for that purpose, and for hangovers. Though I fail to see how it would alleviate hangover, unless some residual GABA agonism is involved.

#72 dear mrclock

• 557 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

just saw this today and i remembered this thread; http://www.twirlit.c...vent-hangovers/

any ideas what substance in asparagus could do that ? could it be it has some form of DHM :P

#73 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:53 AM

I found 200 mg - 400 mg very effective in blocking alcohol intoxication and alcohol induced headaches. I used to have crippling headaches right after drinking alcohol but now I don't feel it until many hours later, and this may be due to the antagonism wearing off. I'm going to try it for an extended period on my birthday and see how it goes.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#74 dear mrclock

• 557 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:01 AM

when is your birthday ? weird you have to try it on a specific day to test this. why not tomorrow or during the weekend ?

#75 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

Alright so I tested around 400 mg and it worked very well at eliminating the hangovers alcohol used to cause about an hour I started drinking. I was also quite sober despite having zero tolerance and was able to keep up with my friend who goes to bars often and has way higher tolerance. This substance is the shit. It has to be taken before drinking for maximum effect though, I gave some to my friend after he was piss drunk and it didn't help him much.

#76 manic_racetam

• 937 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

So the bluecetin product mentioned above only contains 20mg of DHM per tablet. What's with the ridiculously small dosage? From what I've read in this thread it takes a substantially larger dose to have an effect.

#77 dear mrclock

• 557 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:39 AM

stablemind, what was the point ? you didnt get drunk drinking. why drink if you dont wanna get drunk ? waste of time and money ?

Edited by dear mrclock, 14 January 2013 - 02:40 AM.

#78 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

I've visited the factory in Hunan where much of the DHM from China seems to be made. The extractor is basically a giant tea pot, and the liquid is concentrated and dried to a powder. The leaves of the tea vine from which it is made contain as much as 30% DHM.

Taken before drinking, you don't get a buzz, and it doesn't mask the sick feeling you get from drinking too much, so you stop before it gets worse. During drinking, it straightens your head so you won't get rolled or cheated at poker. Or you can match the many toasts of "gan bei" at a Chinese banquet and not fall under the table before the evening is done.

As part of a traditional recipe to counteract hangover, it is said to allieviate the symptoms; but I cannot attest to that.

Too good to be true? Maybe. It seems to be a GABAA blocker, as is naltrexone, which is used as a treatment for alcholism and for opiate addiction. Low dose naltrexone has been touted as possibly a life extending drug. Might DHM also be such?

Do we have any heroin addicts who have tried DHM as an aid to quiting?

#79 Bushi

• 6 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

Found this thread after searching for dihydromyricetin on google. The study about the effects on intoxication really piqued my interest.

I ordered a sample of 5g from a manufacturer and tested out 350mg ( I weigh about 60kg). I took it about one hour after taking 4 shots of rum. It definitely didn't let the drunk get any more intense. It felt like I had reached my peak, and within an hour or so I was almost back to baseline before drinking. I gave another capsule of 300mg to a friend and she took it right before falling asleep after a heavy night of drinking. She woke up with no bad feelings and her friend who drank the same amount woke up absolutely hungover. So, it seems DHM really does have some benefits.

After testing I decided that this could possibly help a lot of people, so I'm putting together a website where I'll be selling both single pills and bottles of 30. I wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone would be interested in sampling the product.

Looking forward to hearing back from everyone.

#80 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

I would like to try Wellbutrin again but the problem is that when I take it I get way out of control drunk, I should limit my alcohol while taking it but after a drink or two..
Its a danger to my life.. haha last time I tried Wellbutrin again I ended up fighting a Marine,, he got a bit bloody but I got a month of pain.....

Does this stop you blacking out?
  • dislike x 1

#81 NeuroticNeurons

• 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:43 PM

Seems like a lot of effort to scam $10 or so..
Maybe he died or went on holidays? :(
I've been looking for other sources. Looks like direct to China is the answer:

http://www.fuzing.co...ihydromyricetin
http://www.china-dir...omyricetin.html
http://www.alibaba.c...tin_90_95_.html
http://www.pharmaceu...ricetin-71.html

I found a vendor which sells 6 packs for $10 and 20 packs for $25, each pill is supposed to contain 300mg of DHM. However, I have not tried to order from them yet so I can't attest to their reliability. But it says their product is made in the US so I would assume they are as well.

Has anyone here tried this vendor?

http://www.dhmdepot.com/

#82 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:44 AM

I've visited the factory in Hunan where much of the DHM from China seems to be made. The extractor is basically a giant tea pot, and the liquid is concentrated and dried to a powder. The leaves of the tea vine from which it is made contain as much as 30% DHM.

Taken before drinking, you don't get a buzz, and it doesn't mask the sick feeling you get from drinking too much, so you stop before it gets worse. During drinking, it straightens your head so you won't get rolled or cheated at poker. Or you can match the many toasts of "gan bei" at a Chinese banquet and not fall under the table before the evening is done.

As part of a traditional recipe to counteract hangover, it is said to allieviate the symptoms; but I cannot attest to that.

Too good to be true? Maybe. It seems to be a GABAA blocker, as is naltrexone, which is used as a treatment for alcholism and for opiate addiction. Low dose naltrexone has been touted as possibly a life extending drug. Might DHM also be such?

Do we have any heroin addicts who have tried DHM as an aid to quiting?

Does DHM taken with alcohol still allow to alcohol to lower inhibitions (I.e. I understand that alcohol is often touted as "liquid courage")? It sounds to me as if judgement is unaffected by alcohol when DHM is taken beforehand.

Edited by Elus, 16 April 2013 - 02:45 AM.

#83 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

This appears to be correct.
  • dislike x 1

#84 Cow

• 10 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

I'm currently suffering from benzo and z drug withdrawal and am ordering a sample pack to test if it has any beneficial effect on withdrawal. Any ideas? If this can help relieve any sympton of gaba related withdrawal it would be extremely useful.
  • like x 1

#85 Erebus

• 38 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

This paper describes true 'intoxication blockers' -- alcohol absorption inhibitors: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11003152
And there are some interesting investigations as to their precise mechanism of action here: http://alcalc.oxford.../2/121.full.pdf

It's interesting to note that α-Methylene-γ-butyrolactone was consistently the most potent alcohol-intoxication-inhibitor by a wide margin, and it's a very simple & relatively easy-to-obtain chemical... but all of the compounds referenced in the above studies seem to operate via inducing gastric acid secretion & delaying gastric emptying, so I would assume that people may find it uncomfortable to use α-Methylene-γ-butyrolactone...

On a tangentially-related note, I believe that there's some old Russian research on ADH and ALDH inducers, but I don't think that any of it was especially useful.
I also think that SAMe is an ADH inducer, but I'm almost certain that that effect would be minor at best in human subjects.
  • like x 1

#86 Bushi

• 6 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

Hey guys - I'm giving away samples of my dihydromyricetin supplement , only pay 1.00$ shipping and handling. You'll receive two 150mg tablets. PM if interested.

#87 j03

• 592 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:34 AM

This is interesting. I've had some horrible experiences with alcohol and drugs in the past... they induced extreme panic attacks, etc. It would be nice to be able to drink and know I have an eject button -- so to speak, nearby.

Would this work for marijuana also?

Edited by j03, 06 May 2013 - 02:35 AM.

#88 MrHappy

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:42 AM

400mg seems to be the sweet spot for dosing. Also, the shelf life on this stuff is ridiculously low, even in the freezer. Weeks, it seems.

#89 manic_racetam

• 937 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

I'm currently suffering from benzo and z drug withdrawal and am ordering a sample pack to test if it has any beneficial effect on withdrawal. Any ideas? If this can help relieve any sympton of gaba related withdrawal it would be extremely useful.

Hi cow,

Did you ever get to try it DHM in this capacity? Thanks!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#90 owtsgmi

• 162 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:30 PM

400mg seems to be the sweet spot for dosing. Also, the shelf life on this stuff is ridiculously low, even in the freezer. Weeks, it seems.

How do you know it is so low? Does it say it on the bottle, or did you notice it was no longer effective?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dhm, gaba, alcohol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users