- - - - -

Flowers for algernon - the scariest book I've ever read

flowers for algernon

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:20 AM

I'm serious. This book is way more scary than any traditional horror stories or movies I've read/seen. As well it is probably the most depressing story I have ever read. Oh the horror! Slowly falling back into disability while there's barely anything you can do about it! Sounds familiar eh?

If they made a new movie adaptation to this book I think they should make the intellectual change in the main character permanent. Only that he comes to terms with his emotions as well.

Has anyone else read this book?

#2 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

Yeah I have. Its the saddest thing i've ever read.

Worst of all its all so applicable and relevant to us - those who are interested in cognitive enhancement, everyday we take these experimental drugs we risk it.

#3 johnross47

• 747 posts
  • Location:table 42 in the restaurant at the end of the universe

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

It's an old story; I read it way back a long time ago, probably in the late sixties or early seventies but I still remember it and its sadness. It will haunt you.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 machete234

• 459 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

I found the way the otthers treated the protagonist when he was stupid more depressing than the ending.
I also cant really relate to the story because of taking nootropics since I am allready at good level of cognition and Im
trying to get maybe 10% more. So our situation is dramatically different than his and if it doesnt work for us we go back to where we were.

I think this book is more about how we treat stupid people than about cognitive enhancement.

#5 lemonhead

• 165 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

I found the way the otthers treated the protagonist when he was stupid more depressing than the ending.
I think this book is more about how we treat stupid people than about cognitive enhancement.

Equally depressing, for the same reason, is the short story "Nobody's Home" by Joanna Russ (in the Zanzibar Cat collection).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users