Photo
* * * * * 28 votes

TREATING ANXIETY SAFELY & EFFECTIVELY

• Please log in to reply
809 replies to this topic

#661 Ames

• 361 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

If you're looking at bupropion for the dopamine support, perhaps give d-phenylalanine (not dl-) or mucuna 15% (no higher % l-dopa) at try first.

Are you sure you don't mean L-phenylalanine? D- is the enkephalinase inhibitor and is only very weakly converted to L- and then tyrosine etc in vivo.

...Well, AFAIK.
In my research, I haven't found a single way to 'support' dopamine via supplementation that wasn't confirmed to be long term dangerous in research or anecdote. If you search well enough on this forum, there is enough anecdotal evidence against even selegilene to make any rational person avoid it (one member claimed to be near a sttae of Parkinson's after long term use). Personally, my experience with taking L-Phenylalanine in the very short term was alarming memory impairment that wasn't really very transient. I suspect that it promotes high levels of oxidation in specific regions of the brain. I also believe that mucuna, as well as anything else that stimulates dopiminergic neurons, presents too much of a motor neuron/parkinsons risk. I just wanted to throw that out there, and will continue to do so when I see dopamine support mentioned on this board. Personally, in my experience and research, the only safe methods to promote increased dopaminergic tone are abstinence from dopamine stimulation as well as through exercise and, perhaps, CR mimetic supplements.

L-phenylalanine is not d-, they do not produce the same effects in studies on depression, the l- is fairly useless from a therapeutic standpoint, they are not appropriate comparisons, and I don't think the l- is suitable for these kinds of uses anyway, even in the short term. I used d-phenylalanine when I took myself off bupropion for about a month, and I experienced none of the withdrawals and dopamine crashes I did the previous attempt to stop bupropion. The only downside was increase in migraine which is why I said I wish none of the d- was converted to l- in the body since it will eventually lead to an increase in tyramine.

The mucuna usually used around boards like these are the 60% and 90%+ l-dopa extracts which I think no one should use unless they already have Parkinson's.

http://www.med.nyu.e...?ChunkIID=21664

The magnolia in relora is known to interact with dopamine but isn't well understood at this time (if agonist or antagonist), but that is part of its efficacy.

Other than some other herbs that only gently interact with dopamine (from a relative standpoint) like jiaogulan or ginkgo, you are correct about dopamine promotion and safety. There is very little out there at the moment.

This is an observed correlation, and I'm not trained in biochemistry, but I tend to be more cautious of D isomers than L isomers as a rule because they tend to show a trend toward dramatically higher neurotoxicity for some substances. L-Serine vs D-Serine is a good example. L-Methampehtamine vs D-Methamphetamine is another good example. For substances that provide a stiimualting effect that is almost always part and parcel with neurotoxicity risk, greater efficacy will always be righty be viewed with more caution.  Although, I realize that d-pheylalanine is potentially a unique case because of its opioid interaction and, regardless, you had a very specific short term use for it that may have superseded any other considerations. All that I'm suggessting is  to do thorough research on any potential risk, as such information tends to be somewhat buried (not intentionally) for seemingly benign supplements.

I have to make a correction, though, to my last post. My bad experience was with Phenethylamine and not phenylalanine. It was late last night when I was writing. Although, these two substances are close and I would still assume that too much of a strong phenethylanine isomer (until proven otherwise) could potentially do damage. It may just take more, or the damage may just be on a lesser, less percieveable level.

Relora wipes me out, and I'm cautious of magnolia. Everytime I forget why that is, I research Honokiol and it takes very little time for me to decide against it. I did this recently, although right now I couldn't tell you what the ultimate factor in that decision was.

I'll have to look into jiaogulan as I don't know anything about it. Its action sounds interesting.

Edited by golgi1, 04 August 2014 - 04:41 PM.

#662 Ames

• 361 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:18 PM

Jiaogulan has shown potential to actually restore dopaminergic function and possibly prevent parkinson's

I wanted to look into this, and, of course, I wanted to be extremely conservative and thorough about said research, so I naturally first consulted amazon reviews :)

The second review I read contained this paragraph...

If I do this for maybe about 2-4 weeks, I notice that I still go to sleep early, but I wake up super early (like at sunrise), again refreshed, like my sleep cycle has been used to waking up early morning for a long time. When I wake up early, I'm also extremely energetic for about the first 4-5 hours of the morning, and there's no crash later but it just tapers off slowly. I also wake up with a massive erection. In general it seems to stimulate sexual desire and strong erections throughout the day, but especially first thing in the morning. I've never had such profound effects from it's semi-cousin, ginseng (which contains ginsenosides, similar saponins to jiaogulans gypenosides). Regeneration's brand tends to have these same effects, except the morning rush tends to feel speedier and jittery, sometimes anxiety-provoking. It feels smooth with this brand, which is why I like it better.

...which seems that it at least anecdotally confirms your appreciated information.  It also seems like the type of anecdote that people appreciate in practice.

Not to derail this important thread...back to anxiety.

Edited by golgi1, 04 August 2014 - 04:43 PM.

• Enjoying the show x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#663 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

I also had horrible experience with phenylethylamine, but I just assumed that was because I was already prone to migraine. Good luck to you :)

#664 Chrisalias

• 8 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:28 AM

Where would Busipirone fall...in the safe to take or not safe to take category ?

Thanks

#665 newguy5

• 48 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:52 PM

Why is it so hard to find an anti anxiety med that works well without there being any dependance a

Why is it so hard to make a good anxiolytic that works and that doesn't have any dependence and withdrawal effects? For depression you have antidepressants but for people who have anxiety there's nothing?

• like x 1

#666 Ethrem

• 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:58 PM

Antidepressants are addictive and withdrawal symptoms as well.

Anything that messes with the balance of chemicals in the brain is going to have issues. Just about everything that works for anxiety has actions mediated through GABA. Nothing can really be done about that. You either take something that works on GABA or you work through your anxiety without meds.

#667 mhemming11

• 12 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:59 AM

thank you for this amazing thread, however, is there any way to sum it up?

I've been on alprazolam (xanax) (0.25mg up to 6x daily = 1.5mg a day) for a year and a half, ambien (zolpidem) 10-20mg/night for 5+ years, citalopram (celexa) 20mg/day for a year and a half and recently experimented with adderall ( 5mg up to 3x/day) which bring up superhero like effects but comes with a down after wearing off. 

I tried nootropics like bacopa, piracetam, aniracetma, noopept, ashwagandha, CDP choline, l-theanine, but none of them had any noticeable effects such as the above mentioned. The issue is I see how the above mentioned ones are nothing but a downward spiral for the future. I do feel a lot of anxiety when getting off of these and honestly I'm not sure what to do to get back to normal. Of course, I understand one has to taper off. What I am however asking is, any more summarized tips on what to buy, where and how much to take of each to get back to normal while tapering off of the above mentioned?

Being in an anxious state is problematic due to having to perform at demanding work and socially. Which is going very well while on the required dose on xanax and adderall, but when not, then it is the opposite. 

Please help

#668 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:23 PM

This baclofeb bullshit spreads everywhere, it DOES NOT UPREGULATE ANY GABA RECEPTOR for once and for all.

#669 Mike C

• 84 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:22 AM

Well as for anxiety if gaba receptors are out and cognitive therapy don't cut it perhaps citalopram or lexapro at the right dose would work. Lexapro has anti anxiety effects and based on some very recent research might just prevent alzheimer's by increasing serotonin which appears to effectively reduce amyloid. One study was done with 21-50 year olds and showed positive results.

#670 Extrapharmacy

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:47 PM

Why is it so hard to find an anti anxiety med that works well without there being any dependance a

Why is it so hard to make a good anxiolytic that works and that doesn't have any dependence and withdrawal effects? For depression you have antidepressants but for people who have anxiety there's nothing?

all you need is already invented:

Afobazole
Atarax

Tenoten

:)

Edited by Extrapharmacy, 02 October 2014 - 06:53 PM.

#671 Ethrem

• 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:51 PM

everything is already invented:

Afobazole
Atarax

Tenoten

Its extremely bad form to advertise the drugs you happen to sell as anxiolytic cures in a thread like this where vulnerable people will undoubtedly be drawn in.

Atarax is a wonderful antihistamine but its a joke as an anxiolytic and has to be taken in really high doses and 4-5 times a day to boot. Afobazole is something that has my interest though. Information on Tenoten is very scarce.

#672 Extrapharmacy

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:08 PM

Afobazole
Atarax

Tenoten

Its extremely bad form to advertise the drugs you happen to sell as anxiolytic cures in a thread like this where vulnerable people will undoubtedly be drawn in.

Atarax is a wonderful antihistamine but its a joke as an anxiolytic and has to be taken in really high doses and 4-5 times a day to boot. Afobazole is something that has my interest though. Information on Tenoten is very scarce.

I am a PHARMACIST and every day I sell meds to my customers from hand to hand in offline pharmacy in Ekaterinburg (Russia)
So I can confirm, that my customers give very good feedbacks about these meds.
They have very good effect for anxiety and not addictive at all.
If the anxiety is accompanied by insomnia I usually recommend :  afobazole 1tab 3 times per day + Atarax 1 tab before sleep. And this works good.

As for Tenoten, maybe it's not well known n US, but it's very popular in Russia. This is the fact.

Edited by Extrapharmacy, 02 October 2014 - 07:15 PM.

#673 MasterDavid

• 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:21 PM

Afobazole
Atarax

Tenoten

I am a PHARMACIST and every day I sell meds to my customers from hand to hand in offline pharmacy in Ekaterinburg (Russia)
So I can confirm, that my customers give very good feedbacks about these meds.
They have very good effect for anxiety and not addictive at all.
If the anxiety is accompanied by insomnia I usually recommend :  afobazole 1tab 3 times per day + Atarax 1 tab before sleep. And this works good.

As for Tenoten, maybe it's not well known n US, but it's very popular in Russia. This is the fact.

What do you think about:

SEMAX

Selank and

Noopept

And how safe on the long run are those drugs mention above. And how safe is Afobazole?

btw: can someone PM me where to buy stuff in EU. Customs can be problem.

#674 newguy5

• 48 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:44 AM

Yeah I wanna know where to buy it in EU aswell.

Edited by newguy5, 04 October 2014 - 03:45 AM.

#675 Extrapharmacy

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:42 PM

What do you think about:

SEMAX

Selank and

Noopept

And how safe on the long run are those drugs mention above. And how safe is Afobazole?

btw: can someone PM me where to buy stuff in EU. Customs can be problem.

These meds are mostly nootropic than anxiolytic (except Afobazole).
They are enough popular in Russia, especially Noopept. Especially among students in periods of exams)
European customers order them too. Customers from US prefer Carphedon.

All these meds are highly safe, not addictive at all. Average course of Noopept, Afobazole is about a month. 
Selank, Semax - 1-2 weeks

Customs may become a problem only if you don't know how should to do)

Regards)

Edited by Extrapharmacy, 04 October 2014 - 06:44 PM.

#676 yellowkitty

• 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:45 PM

What about Chinese skullcap (baicalin)? Anyone had any luck with it and is it something safe to take (I see the other scullcap is on the avoid list).

#677 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:36 PM

@ Yellowkitty

For me, chinese skullcap was actually more a mood brightener but YNK everybody responds differently.

You could try Polygala tenuifolia ( via HPA axis) and Dan Shen via Glucocorticoid and Mineralocorticoid receptors

http://www.longecity...on/#entry690228

Btw, be careful with Dan Shen and especially Skullcap, they are strong bloodthinners i.e. Anticoagulants like Warfarin

+ Platelet agreggation inhibitors

These meds are mostly nootropic than anxiolytic (except Afobazole).
They are enough popular in Russia, especially Noopept. Especially among students in periods of exams)
European customers order them too. Customers from US prefer Carphedon.

All these meds are highly safe, not addictive at all. Average course of Noopept, Afobazole is about a month. 
Selank, Semax - 1-2 weeks

Customs may become a problem only if you don't know how should to do)

Regards)

Whats about german customs,

Do You have any experience with them or any solutions ?

Its allways nearly impossible to order something for me outside the EU

even if the sender has a private address.

Otherwise I would gladly order form You Mifepristone & etc.

Edited by Flex, 19 October 2014 - 01:43 PM.

#678 Extrapharmacy

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:40 PM

Whats about german customs,

Do You have any experience with them or any solutions ?

Its allways nearly impossible to order something for me outside the EU

even if the sender has a private address.

Otherwise I would gladly order form You Mifepristone & etc.

German customs is not harder then any other european.
We have enough experience with german customs as well as with others, you can read feedbacks from our customers at our facebook page ( facebook.com/extrapharmacy )
Delivery time to Germany is about 2-3 weeks with standart shipping.

Edited by Extrapharmacy, 19 October 2014 - 06:46 PM.

• like x 1

#679 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:10 PM

Awesome :-)

I will ask about more details eventually.

Gonna add You as a friend to dont forget Your Pharmacy.

#680 Mescalito

• 12 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:53 AM

Please cite your sources in regards to the following herbs causing down-regulation because of their respective pharmacological actions. 

You make a far leap in likening herbs such as Ashwagandha & Gotu kola with Benzodiazepines, which are actually positive allosteric modulators of the GABA site, and have known issues with long term down-regulation and subsequent withdrawal effects.  There are ZERO recorded cases of herbal GABA-mimetics and GABA-synergists causing withdrawal or downregulation that I am aware of.  If I am wrong please provide a source.

Furthermore please provide evidence that mild agonism, such as when gaba is released by endogenous systems as outlined below, will cause down-regulation of the given receptor as you claim.

I am of the opinion that these herbs actually cause up-regulation as opposed down-regulation of the GABA receptors and are essential to the recovery of former benzodiazepine users & offer hope to those who suffer from anxiety.

Ashwagandha causes upregulation of the m1 & m2 muscarinic receptors, leading to its GABA-mimetic effect.  There are no papers that I am aware of that show Ashwagandha affects the BZD site, only that it is somehow influencing the GABA receptors.

http://www.altmedrev...ons/5/4/334.pdf

m1/m2 link to gaba release: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17581851

Gotu kola upregulates GAD (the enzyme that converts glutamate to gaba.)  There are no papers that I am aware of that show Gotu kola affects the BZD site.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18066140

California poppy is not a gaba agonist, it reduces levels of norepinephrine and increases levels of dopamine by inhibiting dopamine beta hydroxylase and MAO-B.

http://link.springer...4-017-8748-2_46

I know you give off the impression that you are trying to help people, and in the case of something like Phenibut & Benzodiazepines, you are correct, however with little personal experience and without the scientific evidence to back up your claims, you are doing many people a great disservice.

Some other ways to reduce the effects of Benzodiazepine withdrawal & lessen anxiety would be by taking the herb St. John's Wort which functions as an SSRI and has an additional effect of inhibiting Dopamine Beta Hydroxylase, similar to California poppy, but also increases endogenous GABA synthesis as a result of the increased 5-htp activity.

Edited by Mescalito, 20 October 2014 - 10:00 AM.

• like x 2

#681 timhill88@outlook.com

• 154 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:35 PM

Hi everyone im new here, is there safe stacks or supplements for anxity please, my anxity is very sevre I cant eat alot of food or take tablets so I mix the tablets or powder when I eat :( Please suggest what has worked for people with less withdrawel effect and somthing I could do long term possible I have lost energy and focous and short term memory due to using alot of different nootropics, modafinil, cofee, energy drinks and I ended up with anxity and panic attack disorder I cant go out much without someone Im very sorry to ask everyone Thank you very much

#682 vtrader

• 235 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:40 PM

Hi everyone im new here, is there safe stacks or supplements for anxity please, my anxity is very sevre I cant eat alot of food or take tablets so I mix the tablets or powder when I eat :( Please suggest what has worked for people with less withdrawel effect and somthing I could do long term possible I have lost energy and focous and short term memory due to using alot of different nootropics, modafinil, cofee, energy drinks and I ended up with anxity and panic attack disorder I cant go out much without someone Im very sorry to ask everyone Thank you very much

Don't try to be desperate for a fix or risit it, it will make the anxiety worse. First try mind juggling http://www.navaching...wkeen/mjug.html , 10 minutes everyday for a month.

Drop all supplements apart from the basics like vitamin C,D, zinc, magnesium etc.

You need to change your thinking patterns and start appreciating the emotions you feel. The mind juggling should help re-balance your brain over time.

From my experience supplements and herbs are to much of a hit and miss, for me they are either a one hit wonder or just become tolerent to them. L-theaine use to work well for me the first few weeks of using it, but now even after months of not using it, does nothing even at high doses.

I understand that in social situations it can be a pain, I still get panic attacks when I go out, sometimes it screws with my stomach so much that if I am going out to eat, I can't by the time I get there, the sight and smell of food makes me ill. There have been a few times when I would be the only person in a restaurant not eating. I notice that outbreaks like this happen when I have huge sessions of negative thinking or if I don't keep my mind engaged such as watching TV all day.

I am trying to improve this by mindfulnes meditation, reading many different positive types of readings and self help books, being grateful, learning to enjoy the now. It takes courage to accept that you are having an anxiety attack and being present with it not trying to fight it.

#683 timhill88@outlook.com

• 154 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:51 PM

Wow, How did your anxity start?? Pleasee tell me it wasnt linked to substances as same as me..... This cant be right bud :'( why cant we be ever normal

#684 timhill88@outlook.com

• 154 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:54 PM

I cant even take 1 tablet let along any vitamins :( If I cant post anymore, Il make an account and reply I have spent everything I could with private CBT all the treatment tired different herba it gives me more panic attacks I had them since last year Febuary :(

Just WANNA GET NORMAL :(

#685 timhill88@outlook.com

• 154 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:15 PM

How can we balance the brain chemistry?? I have seen the ball jogling

• dislike x 1

#686 vtrader

• 235 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:43 AM

My anxiety was a result from my depression.

Learn to take each day at a time. Stop assuming that there is anything as normal. What you mean is that you want to reset your anxiety triggers back to default. At the moment your brain is learned to over compensate and become sensitive to the flight or fight response.

Your desperation to get rid of the anxiety just makes it worse. Having expected outcomes just screws with your anxiety triggers.

The first things they teach in therapy is to not to fight the anxiety but rather be more playful with it and laught it off. Remember your not dying, it just your triggers are more sensitive.

Unless the doctors tell your that your brain chemestry is totally screwed up(for most people that's not the case), your better off dealing with it without relying on pills.

#687 timhill88@outlook.com

• 154 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:30 AM

Hey budy I have read and starting the excersies on the website Thanks alot please keep me updated with more :)

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#688 timhill88@outlook.com

• 154 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:43 AM

So I cant take nootropics and stuff  dont wana b very stright up but Im not smart :( so when I took the stuff I felt beter

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#689 vtrader

• 235 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:45 PM

So I cant take nootropics and stuff  dont wana b very stright up but Im not smart :( so when I took the stuff I felt beter

What a stupid belief you have. :-D Another thing you need to pay attention to is your thinking patterns and beliefs. Stop measuring yourself on retarted definitions and labels. Develop your so called intelligence in your own natural way. Don't worry about society telling you when and how you must be. Once you find our way you will start to excel. Human like to fool themselves with their so called intelligence. Humans are 94-97% the same dna as a damn monkey.

Edited by vtrader, 01 November 2014 - 08:47 PM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#690 timhill88@outlook.com

• 154 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:04 PM

That made me feel better bud depression anxity and panic takes over but what u said makes sense but why do some people excel in life alot ??

• dislike x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By