• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

How do you filter heavy metals out of drinking water?

pollution

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 InquilineKea

• 773 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:04 AM

And what about potentially toxic organic compounds like chlorinated solvents, petroleum hydrocarbons, and volatile organic compounds?

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:46 AM

And what about potentially toxic organic compounds like chlorinated solvents, petroleum hydrocarbons, and volatile organic compounds?

I use a Brita water filter. It at least takes care of the dicationic heavy metals like lead, mercury, copper, and cadmium. It doesn't do anything about aluminum, which is a concern. Your local water department can probably supply you with a detailed analysis of the contents of your water. I called mine up, and they were very cool about it. The Brita filter also takes care of the organics that you mention. Most anything with activated charcoal would work. I don't know what they use for metals; an ion exchange resin seems too expensive, but then again, considering what the filter cartridges cost... If you are filtering tap water, only use water from the cold tap in order to eliminate the possibility of contamination from aluminum anodes in cheap water heaters.

#3 InquilineKea

• Topic Starter
  • 773 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:48 AM

Wow - thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into that.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Destiny's Equation

• 276 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:55 AM

I use Pur; the Brita filter does NOT filter out fluoride. Back when I had neuropathy and ataxia washing my hands in either unfiltered water or Brita-filtered water made them flare up; washing my hands in Pur-filtered water did not.

(I know fluoride isn’t a heavy metal, but I’m guessing you are concerned about clean water in general.)

#5 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:01 AM

The only way to get all the organic, bacteria, viruses, dissolved minerals and salts out of your drinking water is distillation. (If you are depending on drinking water to fill your mineral needs, you are seriously malnourished -- it should not be a factor.) Second best is reverse osmosis, which doesn't get quite everything.
  • like x 1

#6 InquilineKea

• Topic Starter
  • 773 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:05 AM

Are the amounts of fluoride present in drinking water really that much of a concern?

#7 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:09 AM

I use Pur; the Brita filter does NOT filter out fluoride. Back when I had neuropathy and ataxia washing my hands in either unfiltered water or Brita-filtered water made them flare up; washing my hands in Pur-filtered water did not.

(I know fluoride isn’t a heavy metal, but I’m guessing you are concerned about clean water in general.)

According to the people that make them, Pur water filters do NOT remove fluoride.

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:17 AM

Are the amounts of fluoride present in drinking water really that much of a concern?

That's like asking if amalgam fillings are safe, or if global warming is real. Or if Obama is a Muslim...

#9 Destiny's Equation

• 276 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

According to the people that make them, Pur water filters do NOT remove fluoride.

Oh.

After washing my hands in Brita water and getting sick, I asked myself, “Why did that happen? It was filtered!” Then I read the Brita box, saw that it did not filter out fluoride, and thought, “Ah! That must be it.”

#10 InquilineKea

• Topic Starter
  • 773 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

Hmm, there could be lots of other reasons behind this too. Have you ruled out other hypotheses?

#11 Reincarnation

• 45 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

Berkey water filters are good, I heard. Fluoride is notoriously difficult to filter out, because it is so small. It is an industrial waste that would cost billions of dollars to dump somewhere. Instead, the fertilizer industry sells it to the government who treats the water.

In return, the government tells you that fluoride is good for the teeth of the kiddies. That's like adding sun screen lotion to the water in the hope that it'll protect people's teeth.

Fluoride is a neurotoxin. Very dangerous and only a hair less toxic than arsenic.

PS: This is not sodium fluoride. This is hexafluorosilicic acid. Much more dangerous.
  • like x 1

#12 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

Reverse osmosis or distillation.

#13 Reincarnation

• 45 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:07 AM

In return, the government tells you that fluoride is good for the teeth of the kiddies. That's like adding sun screen lotion to the water in the hope that it'll protect people's skin.

#14 hyper_ventriloquism

• 60 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

That's like asking if amalgam fillings are safe, or if global warming is real. Or if Obama is a Muslim...

I know your comment was tongue-in-cheek but regarding the last two, there is obvious and conclusive evidence. Not ambiguous.

Are you a moderator?

Edited by hyper_ventriloquism, 24 April 2012 - 12:31 PM.

#15 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

I know your comment was tongue-in-cheek but regarding the last two, there is obvious and conclusive evidence. Not ambiguous.

Are you a moderator?

They're all capable of inciting internet riots, although I think you'd have to go pretty far out on the lunatic fringe to generate an argument about the Muslim thing. In the reality-based world, there is very good evidence for the last two, but not everyone lives there.

I'm not really a moderator. I won this Longecity account in a high-stakes poker game.
  • like x 1

#16 TheKidInside

• 135 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:45 PM

as has been stated, purification/distillation OR reverse osmosis filter...it's what I use in my kitchen (my family had one installed over a year ago and the water quality is RIDICULOUSLY better tasting, looking, smelling and lemme tell you something when you take out the filters you want to shove it in peoples' faces who drink tap water)

Posted Image

Oh.

After washing my hands in Brita water and getting sick, I asked myself, “Why did that happen? It was filtered!” Then I read the Brita box, saw that it did not filter out fluoride, and thought, “Ah! That must be it.”

IDK why people are under the impression that Brita filter actually filter out fluoride. They are made for chlorine and certain heavy metals

Edited by TheKidInside, 08 May 2012 - 06:49 PM.

• like x 1

#17 Blankspace

• 48 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:21 AM

Does anyone have any experience with Doulton ceramic water filters? I was considering their Ultracarb filter for an under-the-sink type setup.
Home site: http://doultonusa.com

It appears to reduce both copper and aluminum;
Ultracarb test results:http://doultonusa.co...tridge_test.htm

Filters should last 6-9 months due to carbon exhaustion, the ceramic part of the filter lasts much longer and can be cleaned;
http://doultonusa.co...ning_candle.htm

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pollution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users