the power of just informing people about the cause

informing promoting spreading the word say it tell them speak up spit it out

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:10 AM

One of the most important things it seems people can do is to not be quiet about the cause. Like, if a person has gone, for example, a whole year where they have kept their thoughts about indefinite life extension to themselves, then that’s 364 days too many. If every day each in the crowd of indefinite life extension supporters talks about this in some capacity, then every day this cause grows and expands outward. Over the course of months, and years, and decades, that makes ALL the difference in the world. That’s why volunteers working with things like the internet networking project and the letter writing outreach are so important.

I understand the potency of this, I know most of us do, but then I was inspired even further this week while promoting the Longecity cryonics research fundraiser. Now, I can’t remember who all in my Facebook list supports what, cryonics, transhumanism, activism, agnosticism, etc… So the approach I have had to adapt to that is to IM them and ask them if they support cryonics. If they say yes, I tell them about the research fundraiser. If they say no however, no use wasting an opportunity, may as well tell them about cryonics. So I’ve been explaining cryonics to people that don’t really know what it is or haven’t really considered it before. To my surprise, most people are saying essentially, “you know I guess that does make sense, and why not, same general price and all too.”

I was expecting at least 80% of those that don’t know about or think about it to scoff and huff and stomp off calling it strange and dumb. It really opened my eyes even further to the power of simply informing people. Tell them, just tell them about this cause. Keep on spreading the word.

Edited by brokenportal, 08 February 2012 - 07:40 AM.

#2 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:53 AM

Some people are terrible at talking and explaining to people. That's one reason I like the outreach work, as I don't have to physically deal with anyone. It's a shame that we don't have leaflets/packs that explain it all simply to people. Perhaps one for adults and one for kids? Maybe something akin to Chick tracts even but that are sensible and not funny for all the wrong reasons? :p

Another potentially dumb idea I had was of actual fundraising packs that help to set up charity events and perhaps if a person/people registered, they could get a small token for rasing certain amounts like t-shirts etc.

#3 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:43 AM

Yes, thats what I mean by informing, letter writing too. When people fund raise here we are geared to give them points. So, I think we already do what you are talking about. We just need to get people to do it now.

#4 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

I was thinking more along the lines of packs that can be obtained from a charity site for the cause without the person neccessary being a forum member. Such as for Cancer Research here, people can get a pack to do the Race For Life even if they are not signed up to that charity in any other way. Another idea for the future perhaps is to have a regular fund rasing event a bit like race for life, Longecity coffe mornings or whatever. Hope I make something like sense. :)

#5 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:38 AM

I did one of those for a church once. We rode around a bike trail and received a pledge of x much per mile from people we gathered pledges from. I forget how that worked exactly. I think that when people said they would pledge that they filled out their name, address and phone number on a paper then a central person called them all about sending in pledges when it was done. Something that sticks out to me about that was how hard I thought getting pledges would be, but how amicable people actually were. I think we could print up a form like that and see about voting it in for use. It would be a great excuse to tell people in the brick and mortar world about it too. So your looking for pledges, but you have to see if they support indefinite life extension first, so you ask, "Do you support indefinite life extension?" Most will likely say something like, "I don't know what that is" so then you inform them. You don't ask them why they don't support it, you don't cause them to tell you reasons why it might be bad, you just inform them, and it very often pays off when you do. If they say they do support indefinite life extension or anti aging then you ask for a pledge. It could be a plain pledge, "just sign and the headquarters will get back to you" or it could be for some event, and we could get creative with that. For example, for every Madagascar hissing cockroach that a volunteer eats, (you if you want) you donate x dollars. Then you choose like, $4 for every cockroach.

#6 Being Tesla

• 35 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:36 AM

I agree. I was looking at the subscription price and wondering if it was too much for me to pay, but in all honesty, after I thought about it, I realized that this website is a great platform to use in order to push people's thoughts about life extension forward.

#7 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:16 PM

Yeah, I agree. I think Transmutation has the key to Cryo, if any, because of Tesla's cold electricity and him trying to teach us about nature's electricity. It's a shame JP Morgan took it away from the lime light! Other technologies are funded by the pretend money the governments print (make up on the computer display), why can't this(cryonics)? That's my argument, I fool myself into a state of apathy, if I had the spare cash I still wouldn't, why? There's a hundred or more things that take priority over any fund raiser, like how is the money actually managed? We see massive money numbers, we see smarmy banksters, we see people getting murdered for truth. There's no denying it. I like to focus my intent onto the unrighteous, my higherself sorts them out the right way, some of you may want to try it some time. You'll be suprised how others have similar results and understandings, it's all quite logical most of the time.
Do whatever makes YOU happy, I'm happy, don't worry about me. Thanks for reading.
Oh by the way, the amout of cash the Feds printed for themselves, that time we had a finacial crash, was over half of the worlds worth in monetary terms. Over half in one year lol, for a world that took a lifetime to acure the global wealth, criminal isn't it, no ones been advised of thier own behaviour, but it looks like the idiots are two big for thier boots, they won't go quietly by the looks of it!

Edited by Multivitz, 16 December 2015 - 12:23 PM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: informing, promoting, spreading the word, say it, tell them, speak up, spit it out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users