Is bacopa a MAOI, SSRI, SNRI?

bacopa maoi ssri snri

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 renfr

• 1,031 posts
  • yes

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

Is it? I would like to know if I can safely mix it with racetams because bacopa seems to raise serotonin levels.
I happen to mix it with racetams as it doesn't make me feel groggy and sleepy like when I take it alone.
I also take ALCAR to raise acetylcholine levels, is it safe with bacopa?

Edited by renfr, 27 February 2012 - 08:37 PM.

#2 Baten

• 467 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

I'd also like to know this, actually. I'm going to try bacopa soon and would like to know if I best wait a couple of weeks for MAOI effects to wear off before taking bacopa.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 MrHappy

• Member, Engineer, Moderator
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:55 AM

Seratonin receptor agonist, amongst other things.

http://www.nutraceut...onin-receptor-/

#4 renfr

• 1,031 posts
  • yes

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:23 AM

None of the three then?
I guess it's safe as I never had a bad reaction with this mix, I just heard mixing ssri or maoi with racetam could be fatal.
It's just good to have bacopa benefits and not its side effects.

#5 spicehead

• 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:18 AM

It will probably downregulate some 5ht receptors after a period of use. This is an intermediary result of SSRIs as well so some effects may correlate between the two. Not saying it is safer than SSRIs, just throwing in my two cents.

The lack of grogginess is likely due to (pi)racetam's positive allosteric modulation of the NMDA receptors: more excitatory action.

I took alcar (1g-2g daily) and bacopa (.5g-2g daily) together for a month and did not notice any blaringly ill effects.

Fwiw bacopa (after a few weeks) made me less anxious about being lazy and slightly decreased some artifacts in my visual field. Even with the apparent boost in short term memory, albeit slight, these effects convinced me to persue other options.

#6 renfr

• 1,031 posts
  • yes

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:01 AM

It will probably downregulate some 5ht receptors after a period of use. This is an intermediary result of SSRIs as well so some effects may correlate between the two. Not saying it is safer than SSRIs, just throwing in my two cents.

The lack of grogginess is likely due to (pi)racetam's positive allosteric modulation of the NMDA receptors: more excitatory action.

I took alcar (1g-2g daily) and bacopa (.5g-2g daily) together for a month and did not notice any blaringly ill effects.

Fwiw bacopa (after a few weeks) made me less anxious about being lazy and slightly decreased some artifacts in my visual field. Even with the apparent boost in short term memory, albeit slight, these effects convinced me to persue other options.

What should be concluded then? Even though I don't experience any bad effects I still don't want to mess up my brain.
Also I will soon try piracetam, I guess it's the same as other racetams with bacopa, I still have 2 bottles of bacopa left and I quite seem to like it but it's impossible to use it alone, either I stay groggy and nosedive all the day either it makes me sleep for 10-12h albeit I don't have any of those effects if I take bacopa when tired, it rather removes tiredness, that's one weird nootropic.
Only racetam supplementation help countering those effects.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#7 nupi

• 1,530 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

Mixing Bacopa with Rhodiola (which is a known MAOI) has not had any ill effects for me so far, so I would guess its serotonergic properties are weak.

It's definitely good for sleep though and I think it also helps mood somewhat (Rhodiola more so and in a more energetic fashion). I would recommend to take Bacopa in the evening as it does make one tired in general (something like Bacopa's anxiolytic effects combined with energy boost would be a holy grail to me)

Edited by nupi, 04 March 2012 - 11:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users