post a picture with your topic when you can, to increase traffic

picture traffic

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:25 AM

Attached File  2034_07_5---Interstate-101--Tempe--AZ_web.jpg   62.4KB   2 downloadsWhen you start a topic, please consider adding a picture if you can. If it is about b12 then post something with b12 in it, etc... Even if its only indirectly related, I encourage you to add a picture. A lot of the traffic that comes through here clicks and leaves. They are surfers, browsing the internet. A picture can catch their eye and draw some additional percentage of them in.

Also, while Im on the subject, remember to make your topic title as descriptive as possible. Rather than "magnesium?" try "magnesium and combined effects with potassium, what is it?" or whatever it may be.

Edited by brokenportal, 03 March 2012 - 07:30 AM.

• like x 3

#2 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

Great idea! I'm constantly amazed at how high the ranking for postings on this site are already though,

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Deckah

• 153 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

Assuming this is for only google images? Because in google web search it doesn't display images unless it has author attributes.

What size of picture? External url or uploaded? Don't see this helping a forum for bounce rates, but then again I don't own a forum.

Cat pictures = hoards of traffic.

Edited by Deckah, 05 March 2012 - 08:29 AM.

#4 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:21 AM

It might not work, but if a few more of us add a picture here and there, I think it could. I dont mean so that they show up in Google search, I mean so that when the hundreds of thousands of people who click on a link to a topic that they find in Google search and then leave after 1 or 2 clicks, will see the picture and potentially pause for an extra second to consider checking the link out a bit further. You could use any size picture from any viable source that you want. We have a gallery that you could use too.
  • like x 2

#5 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:32 PM

Hmmm, it would be good to see some research on this. What brings in more traffic. I like pictures, but they aren't central to most of the content here. The most popular area for pictures is in the members forum. I always enjoy seeing the other members and what kinds of things they like to do.

One hot website/function nowadays is Pinterest. I am not sure of all the details, but I know it is like the facebook of pictures. Is there some way that we can post interesting and relevant pictures here and then leverage to momentum of Pinterest to draw more traffic here?

#6 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:19 AM

The main thing that I see when looking at the Analytics data is that most of the second clicks are coming from a /topic url and then going to a /topic url. So it looks like the majority of our second click traffic comes from people finding a topic in Google search, and then clicking on a link to another topic that they find in that topic/thread.

So if you can, also please consider adding links to other related Longecity topics where you can.

The idea of this is a lot like the reason for adding pictures to articles. Pinterest seems interesting. That reminds me of what I do in the gallery, and that is that when I post a picture I try to also post relevant data and links along with it. That way people doing image searches will have Longecity content pop up more often.

#7 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:47 PM

Hmmm...

Let me try the google schema for 'Person' to allow google to know I have authored this post:

Yes, I made this post.

If this doesn't work, then I think the new google markup stuff will not work in the posts here.
I think we will be limited to thread names as the prevalent way that google finds things on Longecity.

If it does work... it will be fantastic!

Hmmm... let me see.

A

#8 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:29 PM

Ok, it looks like the schema 'Author' tag wil work in a limited way:
http://www.google.co...try505651&view=

I am not sure we can post meta tag items or rich snippets for other things like pictures and videos (or organization info for Longecity), but it still may help longecity rankings if more folks with google profiles post author links so google can associate, (per the schema.org) information that google uses.

Cheers
A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 06 March 2012 - 10:31 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 erzebet

• 195 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:46 PM

Indeed as brokenportal noticed, Pinterest is the new Facebook and I noticed by doing a simple search that immortality or at least centenarian-level long lifespans re not discussed, so I created a pinboard called "Biological Immortality" - in order to differentiate it from the religious stuff that this keyword may point to. I am gathering there many interesting pictures of methods to reach biological immortality, such as calorie restriction, stem cells, cryonics, mind uploading and many others.

If you already have a Pinterest account - or if you'd like to set a new one -, here is the board:

http://www.pinterest...al-immortality/

Send me a message there to invite you, if you'd like to add more pictures of longevity-related products and ideas :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: picture, traffic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users