- - - - -

Ketogenic Diet

ketogenic

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jhelms

• 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

I use a cyclical ketogenic diet while I try to cut weight. Basically no carbs during the week and carbloading on the weekends. Any thoughts on how doing may affect my mental health. Or longterm health issues?

#2 DR01D

• 193 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

Ketogenic and CR diets alter biology in some of the same ways. It is believed that a Ketogenic diet protects the brain because it elevates the level of 3-beta-hydroxybutyric acid (3-OHB).

Recently scientists discovered that they could reverse kidney damage (nephropathy) in mice by placing them on a Ketogenic diet.
Reversal of Diabetic Nephropathy by a Ketogenic Diet

"Together with evidence suggesting that the ketogenic diet produces a prolonged exposure to 3-OHB, these data suggest that the ketogenic diet may prevent and even reverse pathologies associated with diabetes. One manipulation that produces a chronic elevation in 3-OHB levels is caloric restriction, and we have hypothesized that this elevation in 3-OHB may mediate many of the protective effects of dietary restriction."

"In contrast to previous studies in which good glucose control prevented, but did not reverse, nephropathy in a model of Type 1 diabetes, in the present studies the ketogenic diet reversed nephropathy, as reflected by albumin/creatinine ratios, after it had developed in models of both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. The reversal of functional nephropathy was associated with robust normalization of expression of genes induced by oxidative and other forms of stress."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ketogenic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users