LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Best Way to Take Fat Soluble Noots?

omega3 with meal fishoil milk

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Best Way to Take Fat Soluble Noots? (7 member(s) have cast votes)

What is the best way to take your fat soluble noots?

1. With a meal? (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

2. With a fishoil cap (approximately 1g or more)? (2 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

3. With a glass of milk? (2 votes [28.57%])

4. Other (please explain below) (2 votes [28.57%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JLock13

• 23 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

I'm curious as to what the best way to take fat soluble noots are?
I have read on several occasions that if taken with a meal the noots have to basically fight for proper absorption. So, I wonder if taking fat soluble noots on an empty stomach with either an omega3 softgel cap or a glass of milk would be the best way so that your noots don't have to "fight" for proper absorption?

Discuss...

Edited by JLock13, 23 March 2012 - 07:35 PM.

#2 Baten

• 785 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:34 AM

I kind of think the best absorption varies with the substance. I take fat soluble + fish oil cap on an empty stomach out of convenience.
If the package specifically says it's best to take the supplement with or before a meal, I'd rather follow the instructions though.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Timothy

• 66 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

I'm really interested in this as I never know the correct method or the most effective method (lifestyle wise).

#4 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:43 PM

It's hard for me to get consistent results with any fat-soluble noots/supps, but, at times, I've experienced great absorption with milk, olive oil, fish oil, flax oil, or butter.

#5 Timothy

• 66 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

Butter? ... make a peanut butter, jam & piracetam sandwich?

More detail needed...

Pop a spoon of powder and gargle with olive oil?

How is everyone taking their noots?

#6 MrSpud

• 268 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:26 AM

Sometimes I chew up a tumeric capsule along with a small piece of cheese. I just pop the tumeric capsule in my mouth, wait a minte or 2 for the capsule to start to dissolve and then take a bite of cheese and chew it all together until it is liquified before swallowing. I think that the chewing produces an emulsion of tumeric, fat and saliva that should be easier to absorb than a dry capsule would be even if taken with milk or fish oil. I've also done this with CoQ10 before too.

Edited by MrSpud, 26 March 2012 - 03:28 AM.

#7 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

Well if we don't mind the powder in our mouth, then I think the best way is to empty the capsules and dissolve them in oil using a cup and a stirring rod and then drink up. This probably provides the greatest bioavailability, since everything would be perfectly dissolved and wouldn't be competing with as much other food, but even using this technique, I've still had inconsistent results with most noots, suggesting the inconsiistency is to do with the mechanism of action, not the oral bioavailability.

Cheese would be good, but I don't like the idea of chewing powder. Nuts would also work.

#8 nezxon

• 218 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

...suggesting the inconsiistency is to do with the mechanism of action, not the oral bioavailability."

I think you're right. If I understand the digestive process correctly, dissolving supplements in fat will make little difference in terms of body utilization. Solubility seems to be more important as a factor of understanding which enzymes, organs, and secretions are involved in breaking down the supplement, transport, and cell membrane permeability, but not in terms of digestive absorption.

If we dissolve a supplement in fat prior to ingestion, I think proteolysis and other digestive processes are going to break those bonds apart anyway. Absorption into the body seems to be facilitated by liver excretions, cholesterol, and blood lipids. I doubt supplements will have to fight for absorption even if you were taking seemingly large amounts (20g+) of fat-soluble supplements; a healthy body has more than enough lipids to dissolve pretty much any amount of you could get into yourself. I think it's important to keep in mind, much of this is cellular and atomic.

The main consideration here may be a matter of comfort. People with trouble swallowing capsules, tablets, etc. or taking the raw powders without capping them, it can be helpful to know what it will easily mix into for the sake of getting it down. Taking supplements with food can help avoid gastrointestinal side effects like upset stomach, cramping, stomach/intestinal irritation. If you find you get an upset stomach when taking a supplement, it may help to take it with food, but I don't think it plays a role in biochemical absorption. All the drugs I'm aware of that are indicated to take with food (prednisone and cephalexin being a prime examples) isn't due to fat-solubility, it's just to avoid upset stomach.

Clearly there are co-factors we don't understand in achieving consistent and positive results with nootropics, but I don't think this is one. Assuming a person can somehow swallow the supplement, absorption and bioavailability doesn't seem to be one of the limiting factors. I do have some lingering questions about chelators, such as in the case of tetracycline with calcium, or cipro with magnesium and aluminum, but that's kind of an afterthought I'm not very concerned with, but it would be nice to test each nootropic's chelating properties just to determine with some finality if there's any water in that well.
  • like x 1

#9 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

^A bit radical. Perhaps, like you say, solubility and co-administration of food/drugs might change which organs and enzymes grab a hold of the original drug. The could change the metabolites as well as what % reaches the bloodstream.

Perhaps most meals contain 20 grams of fat soluble nutrients, and would therefore interfere with absorption? It also probably depends upon the drug, and which liver enzymes it fits into. It also probably depends on the individual, who might have increased or decrease metabolism (owing to defective alleles) for any given enzyme. If left unverified, these things could be used as a scapegoat for inconsistent effects from most medicine.

I agree that the advisory to "eat with a meal" on many drugs is to prevent indigestion, since they shouldn't assume everyone has large quantities of fat with every meal, or maybe they should. It makes me wonder why some things are to be taken on an empty stomach though. Are the doctors just saying this because their brainwashed, or is there a real justification for taking certain chemicals on an empty stomach. I notice my noots/supplements digest more quickly on an empty stomach, as evidenced by the faster rate of burping. On a full stomach, it takes usually 20-30 minutes for me to burp flavors of the supplements I took. I just took my aniracetam with other assorted noots on an empty stomach, and not even 10 minutes later, I had burped twice, each burp containing all the flavors and smells of all the supplements I had taken (some are very difficult to taste on your burps, like ALCAR, ginkgo, or apple pectin).

In addition to telling people that swallowing powders probably provides similar bio-availability as taking in capsules, I would also tell people obsessed with taking fat-soluble noots with fat to cool it. Before recommending you put pure powders in your mouth, I suggest you think twice before doing this with the acidic noots, since this will harm your teeth if you're careless.

Generally, we can understand how a chelator works, see this study about tetracycline (Ag/Hg...not Ca, tho): http://www.nature.co...ja2010119a.html. We're not quite advanced enough to determine the chelation properties of an arbitrary compound via theory. At best, we can observe a chelator at work, and then try to determine how it might react with given heavy metals. And it's only if noots chelate the good metals that we have a serious problem (even then, we can probably minimize the problem by separating noots from minerals/metals by 8-12 hours...and not taking them together), since if they chelate heavy metals only, the worst they will do is move heavy metals around our body to undesired, new locations. Not that this is 100% relevant, but I fear many supplement suppliers use bad labs to test for heavy metals, and I fear that heavy metals have very bad effects upon homeostasis. This might be a contributing factor in their long-term (lack of?) efficacy. We can thank the Soviets for introducing alpha lipoic acid, which is metabolized into the mercury- and arsenic-chelating compound dithiol dihydrolipoic acid. Pectin (MCP, kinda pricey) may assist in cadmium, lead, and (again) arsenic poisoning (provided, like ALA, that is if it is taken consistently: http://onlinelibrary...r.1953/abstract. One can also rely on man-made chelators which have selectivity for certain metals, if your metal poisoning is very severe. The best thing to do is avoid shitty supplements, fillings, holding lead, all the obvious stuff. Our bodies only need trace amounts of these heavy metals, not mega-doses. But interesting idea that some noots might be chelating the good minerals out of our body. It will surely have to be addressed, sometime.

Edited by dasheenster, 28 March 2012 - 01:30 PM.

#10 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

Do you guy´s know if Modafinil is lipofilic? Would it be better to ingest it with lipids?

BTW if you want a tasty treat, try bulletproof coffee!

#11 JLock13

• Topic Starter
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

I guess I'll take my topic off topic since I do love my coffee... what is bulletproof coffee?

Edited by JLock13, 14 April 2012 - 11:16 AM.

#12 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

I guess I'll take my topic off topic since I do love my coffee... what is bulletproof coffee?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...letproof coffee

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#13 golden1

• 681 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:19 PM

Do you guy´s know if Modafinil is lipofilic?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...inil lipophilic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: omega3, with meal, fishoil, milk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users