* * * - - 7 votes

Ashwagandha - a miracle herb

ashwagandha panic attack anxiety

• Please log in to reply
816 replies to this topic

#481 RicardoW

• 84 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:17 AM

is 'Paffia' known by another name?... cant find anything about it..

thats pfaffian, sory

#482 jetmango

• 227 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

pfaffian? no herb under such name man.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#483 jurassic

• 24 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

i think this is the accurate name of that herb - Pfaffia glomerata. also pfaffia iresinoides and pfaffia paniculata are the same genus

Edited by jurassic, 10 March 2014 - 01:21 PM.

#484 HoldingTheFaith

• 195 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:11 PM

Suma root. And the correct latin name is Pfaffia Paniculata.

Nonetheless, I have tried a good array of adaptogens now. Yes even Cordyceps from three different brands, which only helped erections and breathing a bit. My take is they are absolutely worthless for things like chronic insomnia and social anxiety/low confidence etc

A few supplements work and are somewhat useful. For me herbs in general (except some aphrodisiacs) and adaptogens in particular are not.

Probably the best way to take herbs it´s in bulk, large non-standarized doses and that way we would avoid placebo.

Ashwagandha not only doesnt help my sleep but seems to make it more fragmented. Awful.

Edited by HoldingTheFaith, 10 March 2014 - 02:14 PM.

#485 jetmango

• 227 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:16 PM

I agree. I would not try another stuff to put further weight down on my body just to see 2-3 months after that that I have lost money and my condition is still there.

the only thing that is working for me so far is to completely change the way I live. When I'm going to sleep, what I eat, what stuff I put into my mind, with whom I spend my free time with [and how]
and also - what kind of CNS stimulants/depressants I take.

#486 RicardoW

• 84 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

personally I don't use herbs sometimes I use ginseng+ashawaganda+ gotu kola. as a cognitive enchanter. It do works. and I prefer it over coffee. however I will probably replace it with Modafinil if it's any good.

cordyseps along with astragalus improves respiration you can fell this when running and I have tried maximizing my anaerobic capacity with these herbs (it works as well).

many of the herbs I mention above and earlier will increase sex drive it' kind of overbearing to me all that energy has to be canalized in to something productive instead . if I where ill however I would take herbs, let's say I was suffering from hepatitis. the doc can't do much for you. herbs can however. and for a lot of other stuff as well. also old people benefit from increasing sex hormones etc.
finally I like to sort out another thing about herbs that is that it takes time for them to work and that's wrong you will have an instate effect if you take a sufficient dose.

finally (again as I know ever one is incredibly interested) if I where to go for one herb I would take reshi and I would get high quality product (not standardized useless plant material beside they grow this things in plastic bags full of sawdust). and you want an extract that can be assimilated directly through the mucous in your mouth (there are some interesting extraction methods out there these days). that way it will work in seconds assimilation of bulk herb trough de digestive tract on the other hand will not work at all for reshi (you will only fell nausea and it will interfere with you're digestion an possibly the uptake of protein) because the plant material need to be processed.

#487 Sossqq Sam

• 5 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

Hi guys I am planning to try this for the first time and I am really worried as I am exreemly sensetive person.
I have just ordered
Himalaya Herbal Healthcare, Ashwagandha, 60 caplets
Supplement Facts Serving Size: One caplet Servings Per Container: 60 Amount per serving % Daily Value Organic ashwagandha root (Withania somnifera Dunal)
standardized supercritical CO2 extract (8% Withanolides - 0.8 mg*) 10 mg * Organic ashwagandha root standardized extract (0.5% Withanolides - 1.4 mg*) 280 mg * Organic ashwagandha root powder (0.2% Withanolides - 0.76 mg*) 380 mg * *Daily Value not established.

They say to take it once a day but I wanna try something that I can take 3 times a day.
So, will this product be too strong for me?
( I get stron anxity attacks which troubles my breathing and I lose all sensation of my body for a bit. I take xanax 0.25 ( and it helps a lot ) when I neeeded. ( once a month usually) )

Edited by Sossqq Sam, 16 March 2014 - 10:17 PM.

#488 Jeoshua

• 662 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:23 PM

People have had great success with the Himalaya Ashwagandha, but you might not want to take it 3 times a day. That 8% CO2 extract is not playing around.
  • like x 1

#489 Sossqq Sam

• 5 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:54 PM

I dont have much choice as I live in australia.
If anyone know a good and safe site that has lower dose?
Thanks

#490 Sossqq Sam

• 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:19 AM

ok guys I just got it . and it says exp 2015. when i open seal there was lots of cotton inside I thought I got scammed but there are brown colored caplet in it.
I hope this is legit lol

#491 Roshan

• 11 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:44 AM

See that a lot of people here use the Himalaya Ashwagandha. If anybody wants to have any information on the company 'Himalaya' they can ask me. I live in Bangalore, the global headquarters of Himalaya and where they have their farms and stuff.

Edited by Roshan, 21 March 2014 - 08:48 AM.

#492 jetmango

• 227 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

ok guys I just got it . and it says exp 2015. when i open seal there was lots of cotton inside I thought I got scammed but there are brown colored caplet in it.
I hope this is legit lol

this is normal..... :dry:

many companies do that to prevent capsules moving inside of the container.

#493 mindpatch

• 120 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

I tried Himalayan Ash...At first I felt excessively agitated and it almost made me aggressive. I split the dose by breaking the pill in half and taking just that in the morning. That was better. I've built up to taking one half in the morning and one half in the afternoon. I think it's been very effectively in stabilizing my mood and beginning to heal possible damage and dysfunction caused by excessive stress hormones and anxiety. I now take it in conjunction with Mucuna, again, split into two doses morning and afternoon.

You say you're sensitive to medications. In that case I would simply break the tablet and start with a half or third dose.

#494 Sossqq Sam

• 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:46 AM

I have tried half of himalayan Ash in the night. It felt really strange to be honest. I was feeling sleepy then not sleepy at the same time lol..I felt like I dont care ..and i felt agitated for first 1 hr.
then i started to feel calm and drunk , It didn't do anything to my breathing anxiety as I was keep getting urge to deep breath and when I cant i felt agitated. so overall ash calmed me down but muscle tension from anxiety was still there.
so I guess I gotta still look for right herb :(
if anyone got a suggestion please Pm me :))TYTY
next stop is brahmi D

Edited by Sossqq Sam, 28 March 2014 - 08:49 AM.

#495 Roshan

• 11 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

I too have sleep and agitation problems from Ashwagandha alone. I'am trying GeriForte/Stresscare which have a favourable blend of Ashwagandha and other herbs which will hopefully 'Balance' it out . I had no problems with Aswagandha when I took Mentat .

#496 Jeoshua

• 662 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:07 PM

Mentat has like 50 mg of Ashwagandha. I'm not surprised you didn't have a bad reaction to it, that's like nothing.

#497 BlueCloud

• 540 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:15 AM

next is cordyseps .....in vitro studies shows that it inhibit the brake down of dopamine (or to be correct it brakes down the enzym that naturally brake downs dopamine in to its metabolites).

Interesting. Do you have a source for that ?

#498 Roshan

• 11 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:40 AM

Mentat has like 50 mg of Ashwagandha. I'm not surprised you didn't have a bad reaction to it, that's like nothing.

Hmm ,Yes but Mentat sure was effective for me even though it has relatively small quantities of everything. They do have a way of acting in synergy with each other. I notice now that Traditional Ayurvedic recipes are always mixtures. Have a look at this site .
http://www.aryavaidyasala.com
Its a very popular Traditional Ayurvedic system in South India, having their own preparations ,Doctors and Hospitals. But I do not go for that cause I dislike going through Doctors, Especially in psychiatric issues.

#499 RicardoW

• 84 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:06 AM

Ashawaganda is a herb that can knock you out literary It’s almost narcotic in high doses.

#500 stolpioni

• 114 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:05 PM

I just got 3 bottles of Ashwagandha...this is what it says on the bottles:

"Standardized to contain 1.5% Withanolides, 4.5mg"

Isn't this really weak? Each pill is 300mg. How many should I take, 5-6?

#501 EGG84

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:34 PM

Just one in the morning one in the afternoon or noon will be enough. If its not, try not to increase the ashwagandha but add Rhodiola rosea for increased stimulation. If you need more happy effect rather than stimulation add 3.6 grams of Lecithin per day splitted to 3 aliquotes. However, as you know the effects of herbs are different for every person.

I just got 3 bottles of Ashwagandha...this is what it says on the bottles:

"Standardized to contain 1.5% Withanolides, 4.5mg"

Isn't this really weak? Each pill is 300mg. How many should I take, 5-6?

#502 stolpioni

• 114 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:42 PM

^ Yeah, as of now I get tired and dumb on Ashwagandha. Feels like I'm on Klonopin.

Do you think adding Rhodiola Rosea to the stack would help counter that?

I love what it does with my anxiety.

#503 EGG84

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:16 PM

Rhodiola can increae your anxiety slightly but while you are in Ashwagandha probably you will not feel it. 300 mg 1.5% Ahwagandha extract + 150 mg 3% Rhodiola extract + 1.2 gram Lechitin is working nice. However during your free days (2 days a week for me its weekends) you feel drawback syndrome. To get rid of drawback syndrome you can take a nootropic like Noopepet 10-30 mg during the day.

^ Yeah, as of now I get tired and dumb on Ashwagandha. Feels like I'm on Klonopin.

Do you think adding Rhodiola Rosea to the stack would help counter that?

I love what it does with my anxiety.

#504 mrvontar

• 40 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:16 AM

I took 9 grams of ashwagandha root, just the root and not standardized and I didn't feel any difference...usually I take 2.4grams so I hope this would be different but no.

#505 jetmango

• 227 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:08 AM

jayzes 9 grams? you guys r desperate ;)

also regarding 'Rhodiola can increae your anxiety slightly but while you are in Ashwagandha probably you will not feel it.'  - that is true, it will. what's the point to take ashwa to limit your anxiety while on the same time u r taking something that will increase it?

also, you will feel it when you will stop rhodiola... I would not recommend this mix if you are fighting with anxiety.

#506 MiddleAged49

• 34 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:21 PM

For anyone in the UK, I've just noticed that Swanson's KSM-66 Ashwagandha is now available on Amazon UK for the first time, at a reasonable price. Previously I had to order it from the US, was only $6.99 but postage was $14 and it used to take at least three weeks to get delivered. I'm just about to order a bucketful.

I use it mainly to get to sleep when my evening has included wine - whereas normally I would wake up at 4am/5am and then stay awake due to the alcohol, KSM-66 combined with L-Theanine serves to keep me asleep very effectively.

#507 jetmango

• 227 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:27 PM

Thought this was obvious enough... mixing ashwagandha with alcohol is very bad idea, you are currently messing up your GABA/dopamine systems. This will reveal itself to you after several months.

Definetely not recommended.

• like x 1

#508 Debaser

• 108 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:26 PM

Can you elaborate on that any further mangoa? If you take a normal dose of ashwagandha regularly, does that mean you should never have alcohol? Not necessarily getting drunk, but a glass of wine or something in the evening after taking ashwagandha that morning? I don't like the sound of messing up my GABA/dopamine systems.

I've never taken them at the same time intentionally for a synergistic effect, it's just incidental like I describe above. I didn't know there was a danger in it.

Edited by Debaser, 05 May 2014 - 11:27 PM.

#509 jetmango

• 227 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:34 PM

well it's synergistic.... besides ashwagandha repairs damage done by alcohol. Makes no sense to mix the two...

Also, never mix two sedatives. Addiction potential goes up. :)

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20044800

http://examine.com/s...ts/Ashwagandha/ [Ashwagandha’s anti-anxiety effect is even synergistic with alcohol.]

I'm actually surprised that they point out it 'goes well with alcohol' lol alcohol PRODUCES anxiety and panic attacks, and it's not a cure to anything- it's a poison [except maybe 1 glass of wine per month , lol]

http://inhumanexperi...experiment.html

and so on.. Both alcohol and ashwa act on GABA [both r agonists] and I would not mix the two. Too much synergy. It's like taking xanax with alcohol.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#510 machete234

• 459 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:58 AM

well it's synergistic.... besides ashwagandha repairs damage done by alcohol. Makes no sense to mix the two...

I think ist works for what he uses it because it postpones the GABA withdrawal.

A larger part of the hangover is not dehydration (you dont get better when you drink water) but the accute alcohol withdrawal.

Its also the withdrawal that makes you wake up after x amount of hours.

If you take the AWG right before sleeping, the hours until the AWG stops working could be just right to wake up at a normal time.

Btw I had good experiences taking AWG before drinking it somehow protected me or made me drink  less to overcome a bit of anxiety I dont know.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ashwagandha, panic attack, anxiety

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users