• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

What stuff would a tablespoon of black pepper potentiate (or piperine)?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:08 AM

If it works with prami and sulbutiamine that would be a damn good way to save money id think...

#2 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:58 AM

This isn't what you're asking, but...

Black pepper contains 5-9% piperine. A tablespoon of pepper is about 6.9g according to wolframalpha, so that would be at least 345mg piperine. That's a lot considering Bioperine is only 10mg piperine per serving. Bioperine comes with a warning not to exceed 20mg/day. I don't know why.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 medievil

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:02 AM

Good info! i even tought that with taking it like that you wont ever have enough of the active component.

Might as well throw some in with the rest of my sups in the morning and see what happends ill take things like a beta blocker if i get that 3 hours later as i tought piperine lasted 2 hours.

Stuff seemed to work well to potentiate resveratrol btw but i took other stuff too that time.

#4 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

This isn't what you're asking, but...

Black pepper contains 5-9% piperine. A tablespoon of pepper is about 6.9g according to wolframalpha, so that would be at least 345mg piperine. That's a lot considering Bioperine is only 10mg piperine per serving. Bioperine comes with a warning not to exceed 20mg/day. I don't know why.

The problem with bioperine is that it inhibits the detox of drugs or toxins or something like that.

#5 derpington

• 9 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

What about dhb / 6,7-
dihydroxybergamottin?

#6 gizmobrain

• 548 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:00 PM

Yes, piperine increases bioavailability by suppressing enzymes that metabolize the drugs. This is good for some things and bad for others.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/12130727
http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/3917507

Same thing with drugs like Ranitidine, certain chemicals like grapefruit juice, and various MAO inhibitors.

Bottom line:

1. It will only work if it whatever supp is metabolized by the enzymes that piperine suppresses
2. Be sure that you don't take it at the same time as something that you can OD on.

I seem to vaguely recall that eating black pepper isn't as effect as piperine itself because of some reason... like it needs an enzyme to liberate it or something. So you might want to look into that before scarfing down a gram of pepper every morning.

Edited by zrbarnes, 15 June 2012 - 11:03 PM.

#7 gizmobrain

• 548 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

Bioperine comes with a warning not to exceed 20mg/day. I don't know why.

I'm going to guess that it's because your body needs to actually metabolize and remove damaging things from your body, so constantly suppressing these enzymes won't be healthy.

#8 medievil

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

Bump

I want to add a some black pepper to my morning sups (mainly for jarrow curcumin) to see what would happen.

So can anyone confirm how much black pepper i would need? Would a tablespoon be too much?

Also can someone confirm the half life of piperine? Im quite concerned with massively potentiating stuff like DHEA. If i was correct it was 2 hours?

#9 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

Bump

I want to add a some black pepper to my morning sups (mainly for jarrow curcumin) to see what would happen.

So can anyone confirm how much black pepper i would need? Would a tablespoon be too much?

Also can someone confirm the half life of piperine? Im quite concerned with massively potentiating stuff like DHEA. If i was correct it was 2 hours?

Posted Image

http://www.bioperine.com/curcumin.html

#10 medievil

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

Been eating a teaspoon of white pepper (got that in balls here) before i take my sups sometimes or i put loads of black pepper on my food and then take all my sups and meds that i know more wont be bad usually good and not toxic.

The other things i take in the morning or 6 hours after as it lasts 4-5 hours i think. Got the impression it works well, but cant say for sure as also my regime is a bit more MS based now.

Ill start drinking grapefruit juice btw the energy drinks too.

#11 medievil

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:22 AM

I take all my meds and sups with a teaspoon of black pepper wich really makes a difference, the meds i take are safe in much higher doses, phenytoin for my epilepsy i take at seperate times. The stuff really potentiates everything even the nutrients of the food you eat.

#12 teacult

• 63 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

I dont understand your profile picture medievil. Is it the godfather of fish industry or something ? Please enlighten us :)

#13 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

a tablespoon can contain as much as 350mg piperine, which seems like more than what is necessary.

I've been taking a teaspoon of black pepper (50-100mg piperine) with a tablespoon of turmeric (400-600mg curcumin) daily, and have also been adding a bit of black pepper to my matcha to increase egcg absorption. might start doing the same with wild blueberries.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 Galaxyshock

• 1,466 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 01:40 AM

Does black pepper really potentiate medications too? I guess I could try it with Lorazepam or something.

I also have some bulk Turmeric powder which I could start taking with black pepper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users