* * * * - 14 votes

C60 experiments @ home

buckyball c60 fullerene buckyballs

• Please log in to reply
3585 replies to this topic

#3121 pleb

• 462 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:49 PM

Yes I agree I'm happy with whatever its doing. And what Sensei said is correct but that's not upregulation.

#3122 thomasanderson2

• 49 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:12 AM

Could someone advise on whether relatively warm storage temperature will affect the safety or effectiveness of C60oo?

I purchased a 100ml solution from carbon60oliveoil.com last month just before I left the US for extended travel in India (Mumbai, Goa, Bangalore, etc.). The still-unopened bottle is with me. Most of the time, the bottle is kept indoors - within a suitcase - where ambient temps range around 70 to 80 degrees or so - but on a few occasions I've been outside with my suitcase for a few hours during the day - when temps are in the 80 degree to 90 degree range.

I plan on using 1ml (0.8mg) per day for a few weeks - and then perhaps increasing to twice that amount - assuming I don't experience any issues.
Will I be ok using this C60oo?  

Thanks for the input.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for C60 HEALTH to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3123 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:20 PM

Could someone advise on whether relatively warm storage temperature will affect the safety or effectiveness of C60oo?

I purchased a 100ml solution from carbon60oliveoil.com last month just before I left the US for extended travel in India (Mumbai, Goa, Bangalore, etc.). The still-unopened bottle is with me. Most of the time, the bottle is kept indoors - within a suitcase - where ambient temps range around 70 to 80 degrees or so - but on a few occasions I've been outside with my suitcase for a few hours during the day - when temps are in the 80 degree to 90 degree range.

It will be fine.  In a sealed bottle with a potent antioxidant present, there isn't much oxidation that could take place, and the temperatures you're dealing with are not all that high.  Why have you been carrying the bottle around with you without using it?  Why not take it?

• Good Point x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#3124 thomasanderson2

• 49 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:14 AM

Thanks for the input niner - and the the encouragement to go ahead and start using.

I was holding off because of all of the volatility associated with travel - particularly in India. When I left the states three weeks ago, I entered into a very different ecosystem.

The food supply and my diet has significantly changed, sanitation and cleanliness in many areas here isn't great, and I'm advised to only consume bottled water, etc.

Many people get sick when travelling in India (and I've been a bit under the weather at times) so I wanted to get things stabilized before introducing another variable.

(as to properly ascertain and attribute potential effects - either positive or negative)

Thanks again.

#3125 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:29 AM

The still-unopened bottle is with me. Most of the time, the bottle is kept indoors - within a suitcase - where ambient temps range around 70 to 80 degrees or so - but on a few occasions I've been outside with my suitcase for a few hours during the day - when temps are in the 80 degree to 90 degree range.

Will I be ok using this C60oo?  

Echo what niner posted.

Also,

I make my own C60OO.  My current batch has been made from and sitting in a bottle of olive oil I opened a few months ago.  It sits in a dark cabinet  at room temp ( 70-75 degrees F) with the cap on, and honestly I just keep refilling it as a make new batches in mason jars.

Olive oil has virtually no water content whatsoever, meaning nothing will grow in it.  Carbon 60 is NOT a food source for any microbes.

I have been taking doses from this olive oil bottle for a few months -- if something was going to grow in it, it would have already done so.

Also, I cook with olive oil. I usually buy 1 liter bottles and have a few different kinds.  I have often sat the bottle(s) near my gas stove while cooking, where it likely reaches 80-90 degrees F or more, and then it is put back in the cupboard.  This process is repeated the next day or day after for weeks before it is used up.

Generations of Cooks in the Southern US have strained and kept bacon grease at room temperature (think before Air Conditioning and room temp meant 90+ F in the summer) (or actually in a tin on the stove) for use in flavoring dishes (Collard/turnip/mustard/kale/ or mixed greens -- yuuummmyy!!!)

I know people in their 90's who will tell you it just wont go bad sitting out on the stove or counter.

So I would not worry at all.

Edited by sensei, 11 March 2015 - 05:36 AM.

#3126 thomasanderson2

• 49 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for driving the case home - that I've nothing to be concerned with here sensei

I tend to be a worrier - I often dwell on all the "what if" scenarios and I'm frequently anxious that something may be awry. 

Off topic I realize - I might benefit from doing some more reading in the Mental Health forum.

In any event, I just took my first serving of C60oo this morning - a whopping 1ml (0.8mg).

#3127 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for driving the case home - that I've nothing to be concerned with here sensei

I tend to be a worrier - I often dwell on all the "what if" scenarios and I'm frequently anxious that something may be awry. 

Off topic I realize - I might benefit from doing some more reading in the Mental Health forum.

In any event, I just took my first serving of C60oo this morning - a whopping 1ml (0.8mg).

Welcome to A Brave New World -- or errr, at least welcome to the club.

#3128 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:39 AM

Not to rain on anyone's non-rancidity parade, but I bought a bottle of C60OO from carbon60oliveoil.com and gave it to my aunt. She didn't use it and it sat on her shelf, at room temperature (in a fairly cool to moderate climate) for a year before I discovered it. 

It had become rancid in that year. 

So the c60 doesn't magically protect the oil forever. 

• Informative x 4

#3129 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:30 PM

I found a 2006 study on C60 fullerenes in vivo that predates Baati through an old post here on Longecity, and I added to that thread:

http://www.longecity...ition/?p=720036

I would urge anyone taking megadoses of C60 to read Table 1 in the Italian study I post at the bottom of that reply.  There are no dosing studies on C60, and the IAC study suggests that similar antioxidants can have a narrow range of benefit, with dramatic lifespan extension at the appropriate dose, and equally dramatic lifespan REDUCTION at slightly higher doses.

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

#3130 thomasanderson2

• 49 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:00 AM

Not to rain on anyone's non-rancidity parade, but I bought a bottle of C60OO from carbon60oliveoil.com and gave it to my aunt. She didn't use it and it sat on her shelf, at room temperature (in a fairly cool to moderate climate) for a year before I discovered it. 

Thanks for adding this to the discussion.

The followup questions for me are.... first, is there any reliable way to know if the oil has gone bad? I would say my stuff still tastes reasonably "fresh" - it still has a familiar taste characteristic and nothing unusual.

But the second question is whether it should matter much if the oil doesn't stay totally fresh -

As others have pointed out, olive oils (or other oils) used commonly for cooking and consumption are regularly left out on counters and near stoves for months at time. (And I see it's a common practice in restaurants to leave the same olive oil bottles out on eating tables for extended periods - even during warm weather).

So I'll ask:

Even if the oil isn't fresh, would the benefit of using it as a delivery system for the C60 outweigh the daily consumption of 1 ml or so of less-than-fresh oil?

Thanks!

#3131 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:20 PM

Rancid tastes and smells rancid.  If it tastes and smells fine; it's fine.

Thats why its left out in kitchens and restaurants;  you can tell if its gone rancid easily, and it does not go rancid easily.

What the hell are you doing in India if you are so averse to risk?  Should'nt you be hiding in a padded basement somewhere!?  :)

#3132 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:58 PM

Thanks for that report, smithx.  There are a couple ways that oils can rancidify-- one is oxidation, common with polyunsaturated oils.  I would expect c60 to help here.  Another randicity mechanism is hydrolysis-- fatty acids are cleaved from the glycerol backbone of the triglyceride.  Free Fatty Acids (FFA) is one of the metrics by which olive oil is graded.  Finally, there are microbial processes that can cause rancidity.  Again, I wouldn't expect c60 to help with this.  I'm still surprised that c60oo stored in amber glass with a polyseal lid would randicify in an obvious way in only a year, unless it had been contaminated.  Had the bottle been opened?  That could make a difference, depending on what it was in contact with.

#3133 Walter Derzko

• 137 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:29 AM

Drawbacks of C60 in Olive Oil-LIPID OVERLOAD

At 10: 31 of the interview below….Prof Fathi Moussa says: “Now, because we have to give them C60 in Olive oil ; it’s not very good for the rats to drink too much olive oil, that’s why we had to give them with some intervals. If not they will suffer from lipid overload. “

Living Longer - C60 Olive Oil Interview with Fathi Moussa - C60oo Longevity study

Scientists used olive oil as a medium, because they didn’t know how to dissolve C60 in water. This is no longer the case. You can buy Carbon 60 in a pure pristine water soluble version called c60 hydrated fullerenes that works at 0.0002 mg per 100 mls according to clinical studies done from 2008 to 2010.

Walter Derzko
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 5
  • Disagree x 3

#3134 Walter Derzko

• 137 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:36 AM

Thanks for that report, smithx.  There are a couple ways that oils can rancidify-- [...] Finally, there are microbial processes that can cause rancidity.  Again, I wouldn't expect c60 to help with this..

This is not the case..Carbon 60 hydrated fullerenes, surrounded by water clusters up to 500 nanometers are a strong anti-microbial and anti-viral.

See points 11 and 17 below
http://www.c60water....physicians.html

Walter Derzko

#3135 Razor444

• 240 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:51 AM

Drawbacks of C60 in Olive Oil-LIPID OVERLOAD

That's applicable to rats, not humans!

• Agree x 1

#3136 Razor444

• 240 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for that report, smithx.  There are a couple ways that oils can rancidify-- one is oxidation, common with polyunsaturated oils.  I would expect c60 to help here...

#3137 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:11 PM

Rancid tastes and smells rancid.  If it tastes and smells fine; it's fine.

Thats why its left out in kitchens and restaurants;  you can tell if its gone rancid easily, and it does not go rancid easily.

Fine for what, exactly? Life extension?

There are two issues here--the useful life of the oil and the useful life of the C60 dissolved in it. Most likely if the oil is rancid, the effectiveness of the C60 went to zero (or below zero) some time before.

Here are some observations from Dr. Mercola on the shelf life of oils, and how to extend it--

Rancidity

Olive oil is highly perishable, but is generally said to be ‘good’ for two years from the date it was bottled (this will usually be the ‘Best By’ date). However, a better indicator of freshness is to go by its harvest date, which will tell you when the oil was actually made. Only select oils that have this information on the bottle.

So the first step is finding an oil that was harvested as recently as possible. From there, many other factors, including storage temperature, exposure to air and light, the level of antioxidants and chlorophyll content in the oil, will also influence how resistant it is to going rancid.

All olive oil will get rancid eventually, but if you're like most people, you're probably leaving your bottle of olive oil right on the counter, opening and closing it multiple times a week (or even a day). Every time the oil is exposed to air and/or light, it undergoes oxidiation and will get rancid quicker.

Extra-virgin olive oil, in particular, also contains chlorophyll that accelerates decomposition and makes the oil go rancid even faster than semi-refined olive oils, according to oil expert Dr. Rudi Moerck. So how can you tell if your olive oil is rancid?

It smells like crayons or putty
It tastes like rancid nuts
It has a greasy mouthfeel
Unfortunately, as The Olive Oil Times reported:

“The sad truth is that most people in the US… are accustomed to the flavor of rancid olive oil.”

Tips for Keeping Your Olive Oil Fresh

Once you’ve chosen a bottle of olive oil (being careful to choose a trusted brand and check dates on the bottle), what you do with it once you get it home can make a difference in its shelf life. To best protect the oil, Dr. Moerck recommends treating it with the same care as you would sensitive omega-3 oils:

Keep in a cool, dark place -- dark is key because light will most definitely oxidize the fats in olive oil
Purchase smaller bottles rather than larger to ensure freshness
Immediately replace the cap after each pour

To further help protect extra virgin olive oil from oxidation, Dr. Moerck suggests putting one drop of astaxanthin into the bottle. You can purchase astaxanthin, which is an extremely potent antioxidant, in soft gel capsules. Just prick it with a pin and squeeze the capsule into the oil. The beautiful thing about using astaxanthin instead of another antioxidant, such as vitamin E, is that it is naturally red, whereas vitamin E is colorless, so you can tell the oil still has astaxanthin in it by its color. As the olive oil starts to pale in color, you know it's time to throw it away.

The comment about astaxanthin is interesting as some here have experimented with adding it to C60/EVOO. But if the goal is life extension, adding another potential adduct to C60 is venturing even deeper into the unknown. That said, astaxanthin is a known mitochondrial antioxidant and has been observed to extend the lifespan of test animals (C. elegans) by 16-30%.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 23 March 2015 - 01:23 PM.

• Informative x 1

#3138 TRUGAN

• 196 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:43 PM

Is that c60 in water thought to be safe? If so, are the benefits the same as the c60 in oil?

#3139 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:49 PM

Fine for what, exactly? Life extension?

There are two issues here--the useful life of the oil and the useful life of the C60 dissolved in it. Most likely if the oil is rancid, the effectiveness of the C60 went to zero (or below zero) some time before... 

...The comment about astaxanthin is interesting as some here have experimented with adding it to C60/EVOO. But if the goal is life extension, adding another potential adduct to C60 is venturing even deeper into the unknown. That said, astaxanthin is a known mitochondrial antioxidant and has been observed to extend the lifespan of test animals (C. elegans) by 16-30%.

So if the oil still tastes fine.  ie:  not rancid, there is still a chance that the C60 is no longer effective?

Are you saying the C60 may have absorbed the oxygen or oxidised oil components, making the C60 useless while keeping the oo from going rancid?

IIRC Baati said their C60oo kept for 6 years and AgeVivo used Baatis left over oil in his own experiment?

Also Niner made himself a batch in which the oil was not exposed to any oxidation and found it not as effective?

Someone one the forums tried Astaxanthin with C60oo and found it to be more effective IIRC?

http://www.longecity...ndpost&p=710955

• Informative x 1

#3140 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:49 PM

Thanks for that report, smithx.  There are a couple ways that oils can rancidify-- one is oxidation, common with polyunsaturated oils.  I would expect c60 to help here.  Another randicity mechanism is hydrolysis-- fatty acids are cleaved from the glycerol backbone of the triglyceride.  Free Fatty Acids (FFA) is one of the metrics by which olive oil is graded.  Finally, there are microbial processes that can cause rancidity.  Again, I wouldn't expect c60 to help with this.  I'm still surprised that c60oo stored in amber glass with a polyseal lid would randicify in an obvious way in only a year, unless it had been contaminated.  Had the bottle been opened?  That could make a difference, depending on what it was in contact with.

It had been opened, but only to pour some into a spoon to put on toast. So I don't believe it was contaminated.

#3141 mikey

• 987 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:03 PM

For years when I buy organic extra virgin olive oil I empty a cap of lutein or lycopene into it and shake the bottle to mix.

When the color changes, the antioxidant properties that protect the OO diminish and out it goes.

Although, that can take a long time.

#3142 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:53 PM

For years when I buy organic extra virgin olive oil I empty a cap of lutein or lycopene into it and shake the bottle to mix.

When the color changes, the antioxidant properties that protect the OO diminish and out it goes.

How much olive oil and how much lutein or lycopene do you mix together?

What's the approximate chemistry that is checking?

#3143 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:27 AM

IIRC Baati said their C60oo kept for 6 years and AgeVivo used Baatis left over oil in his own experiment?

Nobody knows what C60 adducts are best, or even if some oxidation is best,  however AgeVivo's mice that he gave the old oil to, all got cancer.

• Good Point x 2

#3144 mikey

• 987 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:35 AM

How much olive oil and how much lutein or lycopene do you mix together?

What's the approximate chemistry that is checking?

20 mg of lutein and ~33 oz of olive oil.

The lutein lends a little bit of red to the OO. It browns over time as the antioxidant effect of lutein diminishes.

#3145 Walter Derzko

• 137 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:24 AM

Why you should be taking ultra high antioxidants like Carbon 60 before and after any surgery

Increased oxidative damage to membrane lipids following surgery for breast cancer
Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2014;35(7):602-7....
Szychta P1, Zadrozny M1, Lewinski A2, Karbownik-Lewinska M2.
Author information
1Department of Oncological Surgery and Breast Diseases, Polish Mother's Memorial Hospital and Research Institute, Lodz, Poland.
2Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, Medical University of Lodz, Polish Mother's Memorial Hospital - Research Institute, Lodz, Poland.
Abstract
OBJECTIVES:
To evaluate the level of oxidative damage to membrane lipids due to the breast cancer surgery in the early postoperative period.
PATIENTS AND METHODS:
Blood samples were collected on the preoperative day and 24 hours postoperatively in 71 women operated for breast cancer, and preoperatively in 38 female patients with benign breast tumour. Lipid peroxidation (LPO) in the blood samples was estimated by measuring the concentrations of malondialdehyde+4-hydroxyalkenals (MDA+4-HDA) with spectrophotometry.
CLINICAL DATA INCLUDED:
tumour site, tumour histological findings, cancer stage, grade, tumour volume, state of lymph nodes, type of surgery for breast, type of surgery for axilla.
RESULTS:
Blood LPO level was similar in breast cancer patients and benign tumour patients (2.01±0.46 nmol/ml vs. 1.92±0.39 nmol/ml, respectively; p>0.05). In cancer patients, MDA+4-HDA increased on the first postoperative day, i.e. from 2.01±0.46 nmol/ml to 2.58±0.98 nmol/ml (p=0.0001). In women with benign breast tumour, LPO did not relate to the histological finding (p=0.8915). In the breast cancer group, preoperative LPO did not correlate with age, tumour volume and number of metastatic lymph nodes. Level of MDA+4-HDA was similar in stages I/II (2.03±0.46 nmol/ml) compared to stages III/IV (1.69±0.26 nmol/ml, p=0.1521). Consequently, levels of MDA+4-HDA did not relate to disease stage (p=0.1364).
CONCLUSIONS:
Surgery for breast cancer causes peripheral increase in oxidative damage to macromolecules in the early postoperative period. Therefore, perioperative antioxidant supplementation should be considered.
Definition: Perioperative: Literally, around (the time of) surgery. More specifically, the period of time extending from when the patient goes into the hospital, clinic, or doctor's office for surgery until the time the patient is discharged home.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/25617883

#3146 steelheader

• 106 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:25 AM

A very close lady friend of mine, 80, two years older than me, has been struggling with what she called"confusion" in recent weeks.  She was finding ordinary household tasks like meal preparation more difficult, losing track of what needed to be done.  I noticed she was having difficulty finding words and was losing her sparkle.   She was unhappy with her situation, was concerned about her cognitive difficulties,  and was losing confidence in her ability to continue living independently.  I had not offered her C60 because she had been doing well without it.  But it seemed to me that the time to roll the dice had come and I persuaded her to try it.   I gave her a tsp of C60 olive oil (approx 3 mg of C60) before dinner yesterday evening (tuesday) and she went to bed without noticing any difference.  Today she was her old self again.  She is no longer confused and says she is having no cognitive difficulties.  We spent most of the day together and she seemed fine to me, focused on the task at hand or conversing with no difficulty.  She says she feels confident and capable again.

I am planning to give her another tsp of the brew Saturday evening, two tsps on Tuesday and then two tsps weekly.

• Informative x 2

#3147 YOLF

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:46 AM

What are the possibilities of her having cardiovascular dementia? IIRC the polyphenols in OO might do something with that. Dementia can also come and go. It'll be important to watch her progress over time and determine what it was that was getting to her before jumping to any conclusions.

#3148 steelheader

• 106 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:05 PM

It  is certainly possible that my 80 year old lady friend has cardiovascular dementia.  She does have a damaged heart due to a viral infection years ago.

She took her first two tsp dose Tuesday night.  The plan now is to continue with a weekly dose of two tsps.  Her confusion issues are improved.  There also seems to be improvement in some bowel problems.

But the most noticeable effects of the C60 are not specifically related to health issues.  From the very first dose she had a sense of being more capable and confident.  This is an effect similar to that I noticed with my driving when I first started on C60 over a year ago.  I felt more confident and capable in my driving.  Don't know if I was driving better, but I felt like I was.  From my perspective she is more "feisty".  Her sense of being more capable and confident shows in her behavior.

Oh, she is slower to tire.  For example, we attended our weekly Buddhist meditation group last night, a 30 minutes meditation followed by an hour discussion of the current book we are reading.  She normally "hits the wall", as she puts it, at about the 45 minute mark in the discussion.   Last night she was OK for the whole hour.

Like most of the people on this board who have taken C60, she likes it.

Edited by steelheader, 15 May 2015 - 05:06 PM.

• like x 1

#3149 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:42 PM

Hopefully you've stopped it in time. Go the anti-aging firewall for more that you can do for her.

#3150 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:44 PM

What are the possibilities of her having cardiovascular dementia? IIRC the polyphenols in OO might do something with that. Dementia can also come and go. It'll be important to watch her progress over time and determine what it was that was getting to her before jumping to any conclusions.

She may or may not have vascular dementia, but the polyphenols in one tablespoon of olive oil aren't enough to do anything, particularly that extreme.

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: buckyball, c60, fullerene, buckyballs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users