- - - - -

Feeding Rats Activated Charcoal Gives 43% Greater Longevity

nitrogen carbon c60 longevity enterosorption

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#91 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:41 AM

Wouldn't the simplest explanation be that AC reduces absorption of nutrients, causing the rats to effectively be on CR? It is not news that CR extends lifespan.

The simplest explanation is what niner pointed out above in post #70, that the original paper (or the people who quoted it) were a bit loose in the way they reported improvements. If they had reported them in the way people usually expect--in the way the C60 experiments did, for instance--the actual increase of lifespan would be 4.3%, not 43%, and the maximum increase for the longest surviving animals would be 6.2%.

The improvement is also predicated on a certain dosing regime. Continuous dosing wasn't as good.

And finally it should be noted that no one has yet read the original paper. The claims are based on an English abstract of an old Russian report and could be absent all sorts of important details. But as it stands and with what we know, AC isn't in the same ballpark as C60 or CR.

#92 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:27 AM

I completely agree with Turnbuckle, but just want to highlight, "Continuous dosing wasn't as good."

My take on c60/OO, or any anti-oxidant regiment is it must be intermittent to be of maximum benefit.

I have serious questions, due to the supposed potency of c60/OO and the immediate effects felt by Turnbuckle and myself, among others, whether a "loading" dose is even necessary.

We've seen NO anecdotal evidence of large doses producing more pronounced effects, either negative, or positive.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for C60 HEALTH to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above).

#93 Climactic

• 331 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:21 AM

I have some hypotheses in mind for possible longevity mechanisms of adsorbents such as activated charcoal:
  • Adsorption of dietary toxins.
  • Adsorption of bile, dietary cholesterol, and preexisting circulating toxins that are in various entero- circulation loops.
  • Possible adsorption of non-native and/or inflammatory and/or pathogenic microbiota, quite preferentially over non-inflammatory probiotic microbiota.
These are all believed to happen to some extent. The question I have is - which ones are most important for longevity? If even intermittent usage of sufficient activated charcoal can lead to life extension, #2 seems to make most sense to me.

Edited by Climactic, 22 August 2012 - 05:23 AM.

• like x 2

#94 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

My take on c60/OO, or any anti-oxidant regiment is it must be intermittent to be of maximum benefit.

I have serious questions, due to the supposed potency of c60/OO and the immediate effects felt by Turnbuckle and myself, among others, whether a "loading" dose is even necessary.

We've seen NO anecdotal evidence of large doses producing more pronounced effects, either negative, or positive.

I agree, except for the part about intermittency. I don't think a 'loading dose' is necessary, and I've seen no evidence whatsoever of a dose-dependent effect, as long as people are over the "threshold dose", whatever that may be. There's been some evidence that if you are on a low dose, then you stop taking it, the effects fade after several days. I hypothesize that with larger doses, the time it would take for results to fade would be proportionately longer. This would presumably have to do with the kinetics of membrane de-saturation, i.e., the amount of time it takes for the C60-oo adduct to migrate out of the mitochondrial (and other) membranes and get excreted. I don't see a benefit to intermittency, however. If your membranes are sufficiently loaded, you could stop for a while and it wouldn't matter, but neither would it help, imho. Hydrated fullerenes seem to be effective in microgram doses, suggesting that a little bit of fullerene goes a long way.

I have some hypotheses in mind for possible longevity mechanisms of adsorbents such as activated charcoal:

• Adsorption of dietary toxins.
  • Adsorption of bile, dietary cholesterol, and preexisting circulating toxins that are in various entero- circulation loops.
  • Possible adsorption of non-native and/or inflammatory and/or pathogenic microbiota, quite preferentially over non-inflammatory probiotic microbiota.
These are all believed to happen to some extent. The question I have is - which ones are most important for longevity? If even intermittent usage of sufficient activated charcoal can lead to life extension, #2 seems to make most sense to me.

Both 1 and 2 are probably contributory. Dietary toxins might be larger or smaller, depending on your diet. Exogenous AGEs have been demonstrated to be significantly detrimental to lifespan in the mouse. If you happen to have a cholesterol problem, as many humans do, then the documented cholesterol lowering effect of AC is probably helpful. I think that pre-existing circulating toxins may be a significant factor, particularly in older animals. Senescent cells are known to secrete pro-inflammatory substances, and ablation of senescent cells has been shown to reverse the aging phenotype in rodents. That particular experiment (discussed here recently) showed the importance of those circulating toxins. Another experiment involved linking the circulatory system of a young and an old animal, whereupon the younger animal started to show aging effects, and, IIRC, the older one got 'younger', by some measure or other. At any rate, we know these secreted substances are bad. The question is, do they mingle in the intestinal lumen such that AC could extract them enough to lower their systemic level? I don't know, but it seems plausible. #3 is an interesting hypothesis. I hadn't thought of that before. There might be something to it, but it seems like it would be hard to test.

Edited by niner, 22 August 2012 - 11:36 AM.

#95 treonsverdery

• Topic Starter
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

Theres another perception which is a combo of all the above perspectives, kind of. The outer surface of the body, if you wash it, it has fewer rashes as well as less inflammatory effect, clean body surface also heals faster than grime covered outer body surface. It is possible that, even though it is the GI tract, an enteroabsorbent kind of imitates clean surface. If any of you have been camping, the slight irritation of a outer rectal surface wiped with leaves is slightly noticeable compared with after washing, a kind of "well, on a tiny amount of slightly similar tissue, fecal residue is slightly irritating" Nothing the rodents diet was half activated carbon its possible they got half the internal GI tract reactivity to feces. (if any)

also, the comparatively plausible response "uh thats what the GI tract is about, it must already be adapted" also applies to the body surface, "getting covered with sweat n grime is utterly normal absent washing, so washing should make no difference", yet washing reduces inflammation as well as promotes healing.

another theory could actually be dermabrasion. at the body surface cosmetic dermabrasion creates a more youthful appearance, it also stimulates new cyte growth, activated carbon may do beneficial GI tract microdermabrasion, promoting better function

I have not even tried eating any activated carbon yet, I am just thinking about ways it might work.

Edited by treonsverdery, 22 August 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#96 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

I'd suggest a mod change the title to--
Feeding Old Rats Activated Charcoal Gives 43% Longer Survival

Since longevity is calculated from birth and survival from the beginning of treatment.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 22 August 2012 - 07:19 PM.

#97 ilanso

• 155 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:44 AM

Excuse me for jumping in from a different direction. A few months ago, my 12 yo dog was diagnosed with chronic renal failure (some tests were also indicative of pancreatitis). There was rapid weight loss and lethargy. Once the Chem/CBC panels were in, I first addressed the high phosphorus value by administering sevelamer (which caused the appetite to return and, incidentally, somewhat lowered the cholesterol via bile acid binding). I am now looking into her uremia (azotemia) - and came across Kremezin (Covalzin for animals) as a dialysis delaying option. The current renal thinking is that the gut generated uremic toxins (eg AGEs, indoles, phenoles) could be partially neutralized in the large intestine by redirection into the feces (you poo that which you can't pee).
In general the therapeutic strategy is: 1. Diet (restrict proteins) 2. Various prebiotics (eg gum arabic against urea) 3. Various probiotics (eg lactic acid bacteria) 4. Adsorbents (eg sevelamer or Kremezin against p-cresol, indoles, phenols).
So a couple of days ago I managed to get my hands on some Kremezin (available only in Korea and Japan) and started the fight-against-lethargy and life-prolonging experiment (success to be objectively confirmed by a BUN test). The questions I am confronted with parallel some reflected in earlier posts: What nutrients are lost if I mix it in the chow? How close to it can I give the Omega-3 (very beneficial in her situation)? Will the AST-120 "eat" the sevelamer (which has to be given with food in order to bind the dietary P)? Or the B-12 and folate which the dog is also low on? What's the interplay with the exogenous pancreatic enzymes she takes with meals?
Also, as Kremezin has been bought by Novartis and costs a pretty buck, you got to believe there has got to exist an advantage over the plain Charcoal House AC. The beads look just like poppy seeds, but about 4 times smaller. Could that something be the special coating allowing a precise positioning in the gut? Or the surface geometry for a greater adsorbing area? Well, it may well turn out to have been another Sirtris-Glaxo type blunder. Bottom line, did I grossly overpay by not buying plain bulk AC?

#98 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:00 PM

Could that something be the special coating allowing a precise positioning in the gut? Or the surface geometry for a greater adsorbing area? Well, it may well turn out to have been another Sirtris-Glaxo type blunder. Bottom line, did I grossly overpay by not buying plain bulk AC?

I don't know about the special coating, or if it's even coated. If it is, it might be something water soluble that's just there for dust control. I doubt that it has much if anything to do with positioning it in the gut- I think it would just pass through like everything else. Do they advertise something about this coating? I could imagine a coating that doesn't dissolve until it sees the higher pH of the gut. Probably not a Sirtris-Glaxo type blunder, since it's a marketed product. Did you overpay? Well, that depends on how much you paid and how much money you have. You got a well-defined, optimized product. I don't know what you get at Charcoal House, but from the descriptions I've heard, it sounds like the "fines" that are left over after the manufacture of things like Kremezin.

I would use multiple feedings so that you can put the charcoal in one and give other meds a few hours apart.

#99 ilanso

• 155 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:03 PM

Do they advertise something about this coating? I could imagine a coating that doesn't dissolve until it sees the higher pH of the gut.

That's what I expected, too. Well, the only "translation" of the insert I found is here: http://groups.yahoo....dneys/message/5 which states "Insoluble in water, ethanol and ether", but I also found the following on the Japanese order page: "A property of the preparation: There is not the smell with a black spherical particle. I hardly dissolve in water, ethanol or ether. I contain an edetic acid sodium hydrate and benzalkonium chloride as an additive." (You got to love it when drugs start getting personal).
By overpaying I did not mean the thing was unaffordable. Just that $4/g for "fancy" AC does seem a bit extreme (with the diamond vs coal metaphor in mind) when the added value is not elaborated on.

#100 YOLF

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:00 AM

I'm not a scientist, but from what I've been reading, I wonder how hard would it be to create a carbon "caste" (or a series of them) to absorb specific known toxins that can be found at high levels in the GI tract.

Precise placement in the gut for AC sounds interesting, I'd like to hear more about it.

Edited by cryonicsculture, 14 November 2012 - 03:05 AM.

#101 HighDesertWizard

• 830 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:15 PM

I found this patent application in my study abstract travels while trying to get a handle on Activated Charcoal effects. I was surprised to find most of the graphic figures related to Survival, Dosing, and Inflammatory Cytokine Expression. That is, the same kind of information found in the NF-kB Inhibition effects literature of Kevin Tracey. (See, especially, figures 9 and 16 from the patent application and compare to Tracey's complete 2012 literature review, and especially figure 4.)

Lo and behold... Kevin Tracey is a co-applicant for the patent... :-)

Use of charcoal for treating inflammatory conditions

#102 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:34 PM

I recently found about this. Seems cheap and effective, I don't know why it didn't get more attention. Do any of you have any more information about this? Any experience with this supplement?

#103 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:53 PM

Wouldn't there be a lot of AGES in charcoal?

#104 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:15 AM

AGES are from glycated protein, so I would say no.

• Good Point x 1

#105 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:08 AM

I recently found about this. Seems cheap and effective, I don't know why it didn't get more attention. Do any of you have any more information about this? Any experience with this supplement?

It hasn't got attention because it isn't very impressive. See this post.

• Good Point x 1

#106 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:03 PM

It hasn't got attention because it isn't very impressive. See this post.

Yeah, read it already, but still thought that it may be worth adding it. Activated charcoal is very cheap, even if the positive results are minor, it seems to be reliable, am I wrong? 

#107 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:58 AM

It's potential carcinogens you want to worry about in charcoal.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nitrogen, carbon, c60, longevity, enterosorption

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users