* * * * * 4 votes

Equipment: mixing, centrifuging and filtering

mixer centrifuge filter

• Please log in to reply
371 replies to this topic

#1 HappyPhysicist

• 156 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

Starting this thread to share tips and tricks on the preparation of C60 Olive Oil.

#2 HappyPhysicist

• Topic Starter
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

I have been using the "Autofill" disposable filter kits from Tisch Scientific Filters:

http://www.scientifi...tion-system.asp

They filter olive oil and fish oil relatively quickly.

The problem I am having with them however is that after about hour under vacuum the flasks develop cracks. I don't know whether I have a bad batch or if this is designed obsolesce.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for C60 HEALTH to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

Is anyone preparing their C60oo without filtering or machine mixing? IOW just pouring high purity C60 it into a bottle of Olive Oil and shaking every so often until it is dissolved?

#4 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:23 PM

Takes longer but seems to work for me.

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:11 AM

Is anyone preparing their C60oo without filtering or machine mixing? IOW just pouring high purity C60 it into a bottle of Olive Oil and shaking every so often until it is dissolved?

That's what I intend to do as soon as my C60 arrives. I'm pretty sure Metrodorus did that too.

#6 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

For bottle mixing, what concentrations are you using (or planning on using), and how long does it (or do you expect it) to take to completely dissolve?
  • dislike x 1

#7 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:14 PM

this is the magnetic stirrer I use ($100)
http://www.hannainst...rodCode=HI 190M
these are the vacuum filters I use ($100 for 12)
http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B004HKJB54
I bought a hand vacuum pump at the local auto parts store for $40
i bought a digital scale at the local lab tech store for about $50

#8 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

I split a gram of C60 between 2 750ml bottles of very high quality EVOO. That would be 500mg C60 per 750ml EVOO or 0.667 mg per ml of C60. I let the mix soak for a month with vigorous shaking 2 or 3 times per day. I opened the first bottle after a month and am 3 weeks into it at an average of 10ml per day although I recently went to 12ml (about 7.9mg C60). I have about 500ml left in the first bottle and am still shaking the second bottle but feel confident that it has dissolved. At 10ml per day, a 750ml bottle will last 2.5 months.
  • like x 1

#9 HappyPhysicist

• Topic Starter
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:57 PM

JohnD60,

Thanks for the link on amazon for the filters. Have you had any problems with the containers cracking under vacuum?

Thanks,

Ben

#10 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:19 AM

I split a gram of C60 between 2 750ml bottles of very high quality EVOO. That would be 500mg C60 per 750ml EVOO or 0.667 mg per ml of C60. I let the mix soak for a month with vigorous shaking 2 or 3 times per day. I opened the first bottle after a month and am 3 weeks into it at an average of 10ml per day although I recently went to 12ml (about 7.9mg C60). I have about 500ml left in the first bottle and am still shaking the second bottle but feel confident that it has dissolved. At 10ml per day, a 750ml bottle will last 2.5 months.

Thanks!

What olive oil are you using?

Any rhyme or reasoning behind your chosen dosage? I assume there's really still no consensus on what might be optimal for dosages, intervals, etc..?

Edited by tintinet, 19 August 2012 - 12:19 AM.

#11 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:44 AM

JohnD60,

Thanks for the link on amazon for the filters. Have you had any problems with the containers cracking under vacuum?

Thanks,

Ben

that may or not be the store I bought them from, I don't recall the exact source, but it is the exact filter.. No cracking problem, since I am only dosing about 30ml/week, I still have a good deal to go on the first 750ml I filtered for myself. Prior to that 750, I did a test run filtration on 500ml of plain oil olive then on 500ml of c60-oo I mixed for the dog, no cracking those either. My little hand pump is not capable of much more than 14 psig, I pumped it up to 14, walked away, then came back in 5-10 minutes and pumped it up again, repeated that for about an hour or two. It filters fine in that 8-14 psig range, it just takes a little longer,

#12 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:06 AM

Thanks!

What olive oil are you using?

Any rhyme or reasoning behind your chosen dosage? I assume there's really still no consensus on what might be optimal for dosages, intervals, etc..?

I bought 2 bottles of new harvest Chilean Coratina from http://www.amphoranu...om/Default.aspx .....it was the highest polyphenol oil they had at the time and sold out quickly. Very strong peppery taste and lingering burn characteristic of high polyphenol oils.

I just hand mixed for a month (and longer now as it's going to take 4-5 months to get through the 1.5L) and dosed...personally, I don't see the need for filtering or centrifuging as none of the studies have shown any toxicity or advantages to filtering..and my dose of 0.667mg/ml should completely dissolve without issue.
I have been experimenting with dose. I started with 3ml of Vaughter's oil in June and increased that to 4ml then 5 ml. After going through 3 50ml bottles of Vaughter, I went through 100ml of Carbon's while waiting for my home brew to finish dissolving. Now that I have a large supply of home brew (1000mg in 1.5L of oil), I have experimented with increased doses of up to approximately 8-9mg per day. The sweet spot seems to be anybody's guess right now. I've been taking it in 2 divided doses (morning and late afternoon) but added a 3rd dose with lunch when increasing dose to the current 8mg range (5ml - 2ml - 5ml or 3.3mg - 1.3mg - 3.3mg). Morning and Afternoon dose is squirted directly in mouth on an empty stomach while mid-day dose is mixed in lunch.

I have noticed that if holding in my mouth for a while and doing some sublingual before eventually swallowing, I seem to get a mental energy boost but few hours later notice a slight crash or sleepy feeling.

Initially, I got a few more reps weight lifting but plateaued....until I increased dose to present amount when my reps took another small jump. I'm 55 and only lift to maintain current level of strength and fitness and no longer attempt to increase beyond that (although I used to body build years ago)...so increase in reps was definitely something that I noticed..it just seemed to happen.
  • like x 1

#13 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

So many olive oils, so little time! Even Kirkland Organic appears to have a decent profile
and reviews, although perhaps no international awards.

Edited by tintinet, 19 August 2012 - 06:55 PM.

#14 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

So many olive oils, so little time! Even Kirkland Organic appears to have a decent profile

http://shopping.yaho...taste-test.html

#15 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

Thanks, Hebbeh- I also just found the CR reviews. Time for a trip to TJ's!

#16 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

Thanks, Hebbeh- I also just found the CR reviews. Time for a trip to TJ's!

Yes, nice find! Trader Joes is really driving down the price of some organic and wolcrafted foods like (Like raspberries and blueberries) so more reason to shop there!

#17 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:48 AM

How long does it take?

#18 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:08 AM

How long does it take?

Not really sure but from what I understand, constant mechanical stirring takes minimum 2 weeks...so I believe the issue is not mechanical but time in solvent....but too be sure it was dissolved from the manual 2-3 times a day shaking, I went for double or 4 weeks to be sure. The second bottle will end up having soaked and shaked for probably 3 months by the time the first bottle is gone. But I have no way of knowing just how completely it dissolved since didn't centrifuge or filter....but the results after almost 4 weeks of dosing the home brew are at least as strong or apparent as the commercial variety. And with the 750ml bottles of oil at the current 12ml per day, each bottle will last 2 months and i'm continuing to shake as I go even though it would seem dissolved.

#19 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:48 AM

Nice info Hebbeh!

Stupid question, but do you take any special precautions handling the c60? I have these visions of sneezing then inhaling a cloud of nano-particles? Also, what scale are you using to divide the gram?

Edited by Junk Master, 24 August 2012 - 02:51 AM.

#20 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:26 AM

Nice info Hebbeh!

Stupid question, but do you take any special precautions handling the c60? I have these visions of sneezing then inhaling a cloud of nano-particles? Also, what scale are you using to divide the gram?

I had a weighmeter digital scale from Ebay that weighs to 10mg. Think I paid $30 or $40 for it a few years back but seems pretty accurate within reason. For what it's worth....says German engineering...but of course made in China. I put a small piece (approx 2"x2") of foil on the scale and tared or zeroed it. I tapped C60 out of the vial onto the foil until the scale read 500 mg. Funneled the C60 off the foil into the first 750ml bottle of EVOO. Repeated with the rest of the C60...and was pleased that the rest also read exactly 500mg...indicating the scale seemed accurate within reason. Splitting a gram and putting 500mg into each 750ml bottle of EVOO should yield 0.667mg/ml which should have no problem dissolving without saturating...which makes me believe filtering is unnecessary. My understanding of the saturation rate is between 0.8 and 0.9mg/ml. I stored the mix at room temp in a dark cabinet and shook vigorously 2-3 times per day for a month before using...and then continued the shaking during the 2 months each bottle will last.
  • like x 1

#21 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

Stupid question, but do you take any special precautions handling the c60? I have these visions of sneezing then inhaling a cloud of nano-particles?

That is a legitimate hazard. Inhalation of fullerenes or (especially) nanotubes is bad. It wouldn't be a bad idea to wear a particulate mask, just to be on the safe side. Other than that, you would want to keep C60 sealed, cool, and dark when not using it. In the popular consciousness, C60 is thought to be "inert", for some reason, but it's actually pretty reactive.
  • like x 1

#22 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:23 PM

I have been using the "Autofill" disposable filter kits from Tisch Scientific Filters:

http://www.scientifi...tion-system.asp

They filter olive oil and fish oil relatively quickly.

The problem I am having with them however is that after about hour under vacuum the flasks develop cracks. I don't know whether I have a bad batch or if this is designed obsolesce.

I've found that if you keep the pressure around 10 or 12 inches of mercury, they won't crack.

#23 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

Nice info Hebbeh!

They're not fluffy like activated carbon. They're a dense crystaline grit, so it's not a problem.

As for scales, these are very cheap--ten to twenty dollars for the AWS brand on Amazon.

#24 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

How long does it take?

Not really sure but from what I understand, constant mechanical stirring takes minimum 2 weeks...so I believe the issue is not mechanical but time in solvent....but too be sure it was dissolved from the manual 2-3 times a day shaking, I went for double or 4 weeks to be sure. The second bottle will end up having soaked and shaked for probably 3 months by the time the first bottle is gone. But I have no way of knowing just how completely it dissolved since didn't centrifuge or filter....but the results after almost 4 weeks of dosing the home brew are at least as strong or apparent as the commercial variety. And with the 750ml bottles of oil at the current 12ml per day, each bottle will last 2 months and i'm continuing to shake as I go even though it would seem dissolved.

Using a magnetic stirrer, C60 (.5 mg/ml) dissolves in two or three days. The same concentration of fullerene extract (30% C70 and higher) dissolves 5-10 times faster.

C60 in a bottle and shaking it once in a while takes a lot longer. I did this with the first batch and I wasn't satisfied. The color tended to become brown and I worried about oxidation. Now I buy a premium brand of organic oil--the better ones are in dark glass and seem to be deaerated--and store it in the fridge as soon as the fullerene is dissolved and the solution filtered. I have a centrifuge but I don't use it, as the .22 micron filtering seems sufficient.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 24 August 2012 - 12:58 PM.

#25 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

Good advice Turnbuckle. I was going to look into ultra sonic mixers but haven't had time. Perhaps magnetic is still the way to go. But to clarify, you experienced your initial impressive results (with running etc) while using your initial hand mixed (shook) batch (that was brown)? Mine are turning out whiskey colored but the EVOO is very high polyphenol and very green.

#26 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I met with the expert that is helping us improve the dessolution rate of C60 in Olive Oil... As I am tired of waiting 3 weeks for every batch.

As many folks know, the slowest part of making C60oo is the time it takes to dissolve the C60 in Olive Oil. Without being able to reduce this time, I am not sure we would be able to consider making C60oo for a select group of clients.

With the experts help and experience, I can safely say that we are developing a new proprietary method to dissolve C60 in Olive Oil at an increased rate.

The picture below shows our first attempt to dissolve the C60 using 3 liters of Olive Oil. Although it's our first attempt, and I can see some undissolved material at the bottom, I believe it far exceeded my expectations... as it was done in 10 minutes.

We will continue to tweak our methods in the next week or so. After that, we will temporarily offer our service to folks that want to send us their C60 and have us dissolve it using their particular oil.. Or something we can purchase at the local wholefoods, or supermarket.

We will try it out for a little while. To see if it's something that may interest folks.

At this time we are only considering the service to dissolve C60, maybe in the future we will offer centrifuge and filtering services.

If this interests you please let me know. We haven't nailed down pricing just yet, as we want to tweak or methods first.

I hope this is good news to many here.

Cheers
A

Circle me on Google+
https://profiles.goo...236572014252197

Attached Files

• like x 1

#27 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

I have a centrifuge but I don't use it, as the .22 micron filtering seems sufficient.

I have a strong suspicion that none of us have a fast enough centrifuge to pull down particles smaller than 0.22 microns. Olive oil has a very high viscosity, and those are very small particles. Does anyone have any data on the number of g's needed for a separation like this? The density differences are fairly large, so it's probably not crazy high, but I just "have a feeling" that it's going to take more like tens of thousands of g's to do it in a reasonable time frame.

Then there's the question of the health effects of ingestion of very small quantities of solid C60 in oive oil. From what I've seen, it just gets eliminated in feces without causing any problems. Considering all this, I have no plans to centrifuge my C60-oo.

#28 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

Good advice Turnbuckle. I was going to look into ultra sonic mixers but haven't had time. Perhaps magnetic is still the way to go. But to clarify, you experienced your initial impressive results (with running etc) while using your initial hand mixed (shook) batch (that was brown)? Mine are turning out whiskey colored but the EVOO is very high polyphenol and very green.

Yes, the first batch I made was whiskey colored. And for all we know that might even be superior, but I doubt it.

I believe it far exceeded my expectations... as it was done in 10 minutes.

You win!

#29 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:10 PM

Since the C60 is course does that mean that even the really pure 99.95% stuff will likely weight the same per teaspoon to make an accurate estimate (rather than pouring it out onto a scale paper, etc or other mess). Just wondering if we can get a good rough estimate to the 500-600mg that most would be adding to a liter of olive oil in terms of teaspoons or if that is even possible.

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I met with the expert that is helping us improve the dessolution rate of C60 in Olive Oil... As I am tired of waiting 3 weeks for every batch.

As many folks know, the slowest part of making C60oo is the time it takes to dissolve the C60 in Olive Oil. Without being able to reduce this time, I am not sure we would be able to consider making C60oo for a select group of clients.

With the experts help and experience, I can safely say that we are developing a new proprietary method to dissolve C60 in Olive Oil at an increased rate.

The picture below shows our first attempt to dissolve the C60 using 3 liters of Olive Oil. Although it's our first attempt, and I can see some undissolved material at the bottom, I believe it far exceeded my expectations... as it was done in 10 minutes.

We will continue to tweak our methods in the next week or so. After that, we will temporarily offer our service to folks that want to send us their C60 and have us dissolve it using their particular oil.. Or something we can purchase at the local wholefoods, or supermarket.

We will try it out for a little while. To see if it's something that may interest folks.

At this time we are only considering the service to dissolve C60, maybe in the future we will offer centrifuge and filtering services.

If this interests you please let me know. We haven't nailed down pricing just yet, as we want to tweak or methods first.

I hope this is good news to many here.

Cheers
A

Circle me on Google+
https://profiles.goo...236572014252197

Sounds interesting. Is this method safe in terms of not oxidizing the oil?

#30 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:12 PM

If you have a one gram vial, it should be pretty easy to make two equal-sized piles. Just pretend it's cocaine. Don't snort it, though.
  • like x 4

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mixer, centrifuge, filter

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users