http://www.ncbi.nlm....cles/PMC442272/
http://www.jlr.org/c...33/9/1361.short
  • Informative x 1
  • WellResearched x 1
  • Agree x 1

#92 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:17 PM

Well, I think I need some help interpreting my blood glucose oracle...

Last time I visited my gp I had a FPG of 99 mg/dl, which she informed me of. This is significantly higher thant it ever was, "normal" results for me always were in the range of ~74-84. I was so surprised that unfortunately I didn't ask for my HbA1c, but I guess my GP would have told me if it was really bad.

So I decided to just draw a postprandial BG curve myself after my personal standard breakfast (I thought about drinking 75g of glucose in water but was more interested in my "real life" results first.) that consisted of ~50g oatmeal, 250ml skim milk, one really large Belle de Boskoop apple of roughly 400g, one banana, 100g mixed berries, one tablespoon flaxmeal, a few almonds, a slice of bread and a little skim quark. 

Roughly(!) 110g of carbs, 10g of fat and 20g protein.

So these are the results:

fasting  94  mg/dl

T30      105

T60      80

T90      74

T120    67

T150    74

T180    79

So my glucose tolerance doesn't seem to be THAT bad... The unanswered question is now, why have my fasting glucose levels risen? My first thought was the niacin, but I take this for years without it showing this effect and as I understand it it also should make the postprandial values worse.(?)

The other question is if I even should think about it, if my postprandial glucose looks like that?

Edited by Dolph, 01 November 2014 - 12:22 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#93 Chupo

• 321 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:31 PM

Dolph,

Are you calorie-restricted? Some calorie restrictors have shown higher fasting blood glucose which is probably due to higher free fatty acids in the fasted state. The fact that your BG doesn't rise very much postprandially suggests that you are insulin sensitive and are able to effectively shut down FFA release promptly after meals.   As insulin falls, more FFA are released inhibiting the metabolism of glucose.  FBG will be higher as a result. 

Niacin may have something to do with it.  I've read that it inhibits FFAs acutely but has a rebound effect where FFAs actually go higher after it wears off. 

Also, there are McDougallers who have low FBG and high HbA1c and there are low carbers who have high FBG and low HbA1c. What does it all mean?

Edited by Chupo, 01 November 2014 - 10:57 PM.

#94 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:57 AM

Niacin may have something to do with it.  I've read that it inhibits FFAs acutely but has a rebound effect where FFAs actually go higher after it wears off. 

Yes, that's what I suspected, too. On the other hand it's said to decrease postprandial glucose sensitivity, too. At least this was my impression. From what I have read most of the rise of FPG should happen in the first ~half year of niacin use. And at that point, my FPG didn't chancge so much. As I already wrote, I use it since several years.

I'm not really CR at the moment. I tried it for a few months but then found myself pretty much exhausted and stopped. I nevertheless have the impression that my calorie intake is rather low for my size and weight. But that hasn't changed so much and always was that way. So I don't think it's the culprit here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: apoe4, vegan, cholesterol, apoe, nmr lipoprofile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By