Photo
- - - - -

Supplement that has had largest effect on skin

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#91 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

topical resveratrol has been working well for controlling my acne, and my daily turmeric consumption always leaves my skin with a nice orange glow

So that's what Snooky uses... :)

#92 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:42 AM

B5 for acne anyone? I hate my blackheads...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#93 siberianhusky

• 8 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:07 PM

Currently on life extensions lipowheat and hyaluronic.acid. I have taken orally for the last 2 months. So far I have been happy with.the results.

I have taken HGH for bodybuilding but not long enough to notice a difference in my skin.

I good combination of leafy greens, carrots and fruit juicing is probably the best. Of course lots of water.

#94 spirilla01

• 52 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

After having had great success with retin a for +5 years, two months ago I wanted to add a cp or a vitamin C serum to see if I could improve my skin. Due to the potential downsides of CP´s, I went for Skinceuticals C+E ferulic for its boosting antioxidant features.
I apply the retin a (went down from 0.05% to 0.01% to make sure I would tolerate the C+E better) a night time o dry skin 20 min. After cleansing. In the morning, I splash cold water on my face,wait 20 minutes and apply the C+E, wait till serum has sunken in and apply my sunscreen. Now, I didn´t expect it, but has improved the look of my skin a lot. Texture seems finer and it leaves such an amazing glow on my skin for the rest of the day :)

#95 siberianhusky

• 8 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

Am I misunderstanding something here. You wash the retin A off then apply.the other?

#96 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

I dont use retin-a anymore, I really want to get back into it but I feel it does nothing, it no longer makes me peel at 0.05, maybe my tube has got old or was a bad batch.

I got vit c from owndoc.com and used it by just making small batches a teaspoon or two in a bit of water, makes me peel after daily use for a week. The peeling is not in an irritated red way, just seems the old skin comes off.

Might order 0.10 retin a and have a go at it

#97 spirilla01

• 52 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

I wash it off the following morning
0.01 is what you want :) no 0.1

#98 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

I dont use retin-a anymore, I really want to get back into it but I feel it does nothing, it no longer makes me peel at 0.05, maybe my tube has got old or was a bad batch.

If you want to peel, add Niacinamide to it and you will peel much more. But, I'm surprised you don't peel at .05. You can buy 0.1 from alldaychemist for cheap.

#99 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

I got vit c from owndoc.com and used it by just making small batches a teaspoon or two in a bit of water, makes me peel after daily use for a week. The peeling is not in an irritated red way, just seems the old skin comes off.

Might order 0.10 retin a and have a go at it

You don't have to peel to have great results with retin-a. In fact, most people don't peel when using it after some time.
  • like x 2

#100 spirilla01

• 52 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

+1 , no need to peel at all, just be patient

#101 Alec

• 88 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:14 AM

From my experience, Hyaluronic Acid.

Edited by Alec, 05 June 2013 - 04:15 AM.

#102 Raza

• 454 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:28 AM

The one oral supplement I've noticed a difference from is Selenium. It wasn't much of a visual difference, but the texture got noticeable smoother, and has remained such.

As topicals go, I seem to be getting good results from a homebrew retinoid/niacinamide concoction.

Edited by Raza, 08 June 2013 - 09:30 AM.

#103 DorianGrey

• 152 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

Iodine/iodide 12.5mg or greater per day.

I think WHO or FDA don't recommend going higher than 1.1mg orally. You Thyroid may start showing subclinical symptoms at 2mg/day (and under). I looked into Iodine for de-toxification and just was curious because I supplement.

#104 Application

• 153 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:16 AM

Iodine/iodide 12.5mg or greater per day.

I think WHO or FDA don't recommend going higher than 1.1mg orally. You Thyroid may start showing subclinical symptoms at 2mg/day (and under). I looked into Iodine for de-toxification and just was curious because I supplement.

Right, its an alternative medicine idea these days to take higher doses. Although historically SSKI (iodide) was prescribed in gram+ doses and lugols (iodine/iodide mixture) was prescribed in doses in the hundreds of milligrams.

I haven't had anything but positive effects personally. You can read about the logic and controversy around using more than 1mg/day here: http://iodineresearc...ementation.html .

#105 Soma

• Topic Starter
  • 341 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

I have come to the conclusion that no supplement can produce an appreciable effect on the skin, especially when one is dealing with some type of skin disorder. I have tried dozens and dozens of supplements over the years that are all promoted as having the capacity to produce changes in skin health. They have all been useless. So have all nutritional interventions as well, for that matter. I do not think that that one can consume anything that can truly alter the skin.

For 15 years I have been dealing with excruciatingly painful burning itching skin, primarily on my face. My skin is almost always white with dead skin. No medical intervention has produced any affect including steroids, antibiotics and other drugs. My face is contantly shedding skin and covered with pustular blisters. No drugs, supplements, topicals (including drugs), diet changes, etc have ever made the slightest improvement in my skin. I have used everything that has ever been recommeded to me here. The blister-like eruptions have left massive sunken scars all overr my cheeks-like someone has taken a little spoon and scooped out sections of my face.

I have tried to hold on to some measure of hope but this is clearly not inly incurable, but flat-out untreatable. Dermatologists are insanely baffled how this does not respond to anything. The pain, itching, and humiliation are literally going to drive me insane. I honestly feel like I am going to lose my mind.

I am trying to find out how a life of unbearable suffering is worth living. Maybe somebody can give me an idea of how it is, because I don't think it is.

#106 Heh

• Validating/Suspended
  • 302 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

I have come to the conclusion that no supplement can produce an appreciable effect on the skin, especially when one is dealing with some type of skin disorder. I have tried dozens and dozens of supplements over the years that are all promoted as having the capacity to produce changes in skin health. They have all been useless. So have all nutritional interventions as well, for that matter. I do not think that that one can consume anything that can truly alter the skin.

For 15 years I have been dealing with excruciatingly painful burning itching skin, primarily on my face. My skin is almost always white with dead skin. No medical intervention has produced any affect including steroids, antibiotics and other drugs. My face is contantly shedding skin and covered with pustular blisters. No drugs, supplements, topicals (including drugs), diet changes, etc have ever made the slightest improvement in my skin. I have used everything that has ever been recommeded to me here. The blister-like eruptions have left massive sunken scars all overr my cheeks-like someone has taken a little spoon and scooped out sections of my face.

I have tried to hold on to some measure of hope but this is clearly not inly incurable, but flat-out untreatable. Dermatologists are insanely baffled how this does not respond to anything. The pain, itching, and humiliation are literally going to drive me insane. I honestly feel like I am going to lose my mind.

I am trying to find out how a life of unbearable suffering is worth living. Maybe somebody can give me an idea of how it is, because I don't think it is.

That sounds terrible! Have you tried fasting, like a juice fast?
  • like x 1

#107 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:54 PM

Sorry to hear about your skin condition, Soma. That sounds pretty tough. Has anyone ever recommended C60-olive oil to you? It probably won't help, although it might do something you like, even if it doesn't cure the skin condition. It cured my incurable eczema, and the benefits I've experienced don't stop there. It's cheap to try it out. (carbon60oliveoil.com or Sarah Vaughter's site, depending on whether you live closer to California or the Czech Republic.

#108 YOLF

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

My suggestion is obviously cryonics. If doctors today can't fix you and it puts your life in such shambles, live for tomorrow (though it may be fairly far away in terms of time). People who are well informed on cryonics feel that there is currently a 50-80% of being reanimated, and that is pretty conservative assuming there are no advances in cryoprocedures by the time you need cryonics and also assumes that there will be a chance of people interfering with your cryopreservation as in the case of Orville Richardson and a few others who had "complications" such as gun shot wounds to the head, or having their family attempt to have their body disposed of so they can collect the insurance money. Personally I consider these situation to be exceptions and feel that it's more like 95-99% that you'll be reanimated in a reasonable amount of time and that your prospects are even better given more time. Getting your insurance or financial plans in order through Rudi Hoffman, who specializes in cryonics (google: rudi hoffman cryonics), will put you in the best case scenario unless you can afford to pay for cryonics up front. It's really not too expensive. Neuro stasis/suspension starts at $10K plus transportation to Russia, the oldest Cryo company in the US charges $28-35K for domestic full body services depending on whether or not you pay ahead of time. Then there is always Alcor who's services last I checked run between $80K for neuro and $200K for whole body. Standby services run $88K through Suspended Animation IIRC. Rudi can give you all of the most up to date info.

If you can't afford it or have trouble raising the money, there is also the Society for Venturism, a charity that specializes in helping people get the funds they need and have successfully helped a handful of people with terminal illnesses and other maladies get on the ambulance ride to the future.

There's no heaven or hell outside of the world you see before you, but there is a future. Is it worth making it there?

Some things to know as a new cryonicist are that people often have the wrong ideas and think it's selfish, but looking at the writings of the man who inspired cryonics (Robert Ettinger, the man who founded the Cryonics Institute), it's anything but. He wanted a world where no one had to die or suffer from a disease and go through what you and so many other people go through having a disease that can't be cured or even at least treated. Each and every patient of cryonics helps to establish and improve the industry for the next person and eventually everyone. Ettinger saw a world where cryonics for incurable disease was common place and we didn't lose anyone from involuntary death or have to watch loved ones suffer from aging. I'd google around for some of his writing. Cryonics is the journey of a lifetime or longer, what are you waiting for? You've been doing everything you thought you could to no avail, and your answer is in front of you. Go for it!
  • dislike x 2

#109 YOLF

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:11 AM

Sorry to hear about your skin condition, Soma. That sounds pretty tough. Has anyone ever recommended C60-olive oil to you? It probably won't help, although it might do something you like, even if it doesn't cure the skin condition. It cured my incurable eczema, and the benefits I've experienced don't stop there. It's cheap to try it out. (carbon60oliveoil.com or Sarah Vaughter's site, depending on whether you live closer to California or the Czech Republic.

It should be noted IIRC, that your eczema went into remission after 6 months on C60. C60 is the best we've got for anti-aging and anti-death. It's ability to make rats potentially immortal was discovered about a year ago and seems to be well tolerated. If you sleep in complete darkness and can remember to wash it off before exposing it to light, you might even be able to use it as a topical. Exposure to light may cause it to create singlet oxygen which is pretty bad for you, so I wouldn't recommend using it irresponsibly as a topical.

Would you feel comfortable posting pictures of your condition?

Edited by cryonicsculture, 30 June 2013 - 12:12 AM.

#110 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:42 AM

It should be noted IIRC, that your eczema went into remission after 6 months on C60. C60 is the best we've got for anti-aging and anti-death. It's ability to make rats potentially immortal was discovered about a year ago and seems to be well tolerated. If you sleep in complete darkness and can remember to wash it off before exposing it to light, you might even be able to use it as a topical. Exposure to light may cause it to create singlet oxygen which is pretty bad for you, so I wouldn't recommend using it irresponsibly as a topical.

It was quicker than that. I just did a search of all my mentions of "eczema" in the forum. I started C60 at the end of sept 2012. On Nov 5 I noted an "improvement"; on Dec 17 "less trouble with", and Jan 18 2013 I described it as "completely gone". So that's 5 weeks to note an improvement, and 3.5 months for elimination. Then I stopped taking c60 while I was sorting out a GI problem, and went too long without it, causing my eczema to flare up again in late April. I resumed c60, and now a couple months later, it's again almost gone. So it's certainly not an instantaneous thing. It looks like for me, it's at least a three month process. I hope that if I keep it at bay long enough, maybe a year or so, I will be fully out of the woods. Soma's condition is different, though. Because it doesn't respond to steroids, it is probably not inflammatory in nature. As such, c60 may or may not help. I think it's worth a try, but I wouldn't want to raise any false hope.

The singlet oxygen production was seen with aggregates, wasn't it? I'm not sure that a molecular species like c60-oo would do the same thing, although I couldn't rule it out. Because it's in the triglyceride form until it's digested by lipases, it really may not work at all the same if used topically. I'd just use it orally. It will find its way to the skin.

As for posting pictures, was that directed at me or Soma? I don't have any 'before' pictures, and now it just looks normal.
  • like x 1

#111 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:53 AM

People who are well informed on cryonics feel that there is currently a 50-80% of being reanimated, and that is pretty conservative assuming there are no advances in cryoprocedures by the time you need cryonics [...] Personally I [...] feel that it's more like 95-99% that you'll be reanimated in a reasonable amount of time and that your prospects are even better given more time.

Wow, that's not my understanding. I'm not a cryonicist, though, and maybe there have been some changes in technology that I'm unaware of, but these odds seem awfully high to me. What are they based on? Are there new freezing methods in use that don't cause the widespread destruction of cells and tissues that have historically occurred? The last I heard, I thought people were talking about "a few percent" as the odds of reanimation. Also, how long is "a reasonable amount of time"?

#112 YOLF

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:24 AM

It was quicker than that. I just did a search of all my mentions of "eczema" in the forum. I started C60 at the end of sept 2012. On Nov 5 I noted an "improvement"; on Dec 17 "less trouble with", and Jan 18 2013 I described it as "completely gone". So that's 5 weeks to note an improvement, and 3.5 months for elimination. Then I stopped taking c60 while I was sorting out a GI problem, and went too long without it, causing my eczema to flare up again in late April. I resumed c60, and now a couple months later, it's again almost gone. So it's certainly not an instantaneous thing. It looks like for me, it's at least a three month process. I hope that if I keep it at bay long enough, maybe a year or so, I will be fully out of the woods. Soma's condition is different, though. Because it doesn't respond to steroids, it is probably not inflammatory in nature. As such, c60 may or may not help. I think it's worth a try, but I wouldn't want to raise any false hope.

The singlet oxygen production was seen with aggregates, wasn't it? I'm not sure that a molecular species like c60-oo would do the same thing, although I couldn't rule it out. Because it's in the triglyceride form until it's digested by lipases, it really may not work at all the same if used topically. I'd just use it orally. It will find its way to the skin.

As for posting pictures, was that directed at me or Soma? I don't have any 'before' pictures, and now it just looks normal.

Directed at Soma, but it would be interesting to see pics if you have med records with the eczema noted (with redacted personals of course)

#113 YOLF

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:55 AM

People who are well informed on cryonics feel that there is currently a 50-80% of being reanimated, and that is pretty conservative assuming there are no advances in cryoprocedures by the time you need cryonics [...] Personally I [...] feel that it's more like 95-99% that you'll be reanimated in a reasonable amount of time and that your prospects are even better given more time.

Wow, that's not my understanding. I'm not a cryonicist, though, and maybe there have been some changes in technology that I'm unaware of, but these odds seem awfully high to me. What are they based on? Are there new freezing methods in use that don't cause the widespread destruction of cells and tissues that have historically occurred? The last I heard, I thought people were talking about "a few percent" as the odds of reanimation. Also, how long is "a reasonable amount of time"?

I guess "reasonable amount of time" varies as per the person. I'm looking forward to the maturation of my time travel fund in 500 years if it turns out to be a real thing (I'm not assuming that they'll be able to time travel to get me from the past, but I'm sure that if I'm alive in 500 or so years due to cryonics, I'll have legal grounds to make a claim on my TTF or if I happen to make enough money, set something up with Rudi that will mature even sooner). To me a reasonable amount of time is 50-100 years after achieving immortality through self sustaining methods (nothing would be worse than having to pay a "subscription" for it and finding oneself unable to do so).

Right now, the damage is pretty minimal and they make very sensitive audible recordings of the process that can hear cracks and there are perhaps a few per body. The brain is mostly intact with a little bit of damage that is as of yet unrepairable. The massive damage from the days of old has long since passed. It used to be that people where just frozen slowly, now they are chilled to an "ametabolic coma" where chemical reactions don't take place, and filled with a cryoprotectant, which IIRC is a type of sugar. The cryoprotectant is toxic if your not ametabolic, but when there's no chemistry going on, it can't do anything to you. The brain and body are filled with different cryoprotectants and the brain is actually better protected than the rest of the body. The cryoprotectant solution prevents ice from forming which causes the damage that people once associated with cryonics.

The damage that we know of and haven't yet solved isn't something to be overly concerned about. It makes more financial sense to work on achieving immortality first and letting the patient care/reanimation trusts mature for a longer period of time, otherwise, we could just be developing tech that becomes redundant.

To give you an idea of what's possible, consider organ printing technology, it may become entirely possible to slice a brain into tiny slivers, and locate and repair damage using lasers in a frozen environment with existing organ printing tech to fill in the "lasered" holes with ametabolic stem cells created from other tissues, or other biological materials if that be the case. This could even be done with other organs in the near future thus allowing donor organs to save more lives, and that was just something I thought up on the fly and could even repair a "headshot" if the rest of the brain was preserved in a timely fashion. What's needed is money, and we'll have that as the funds mature and we get more members. Robotics can take care of the slicing, dicing, and reassembly, and drugs could even be printed into the brain to prevent pain while your brain grows back together. With the ongoing development of technology, these things are unlimited. Cryonics is a great bet! You'll only lose time, and when you're immortal, you'll have lots of that!

If you've had kids, you should also assume that they or your grandkids may also develop your maladies and require cryonics. My hope would be that my contribution to cryonics would make it easier for them. The reason things are so affordable with the Cryonics Institute apparently, is that they keep low overhead and have been around long enough for their funds to do quite well and it lowers the cost. Leaving additional contributions to CI or whatever organization you choose helps the next person.

Oh, and IIRC they're still raising money for Aaron Winborn, his preservation is paid, but he'll need transportation funding.
http://venturist.inf...rn-charity.html

Edited by cryonicsculture, 30 June 2013 - 04:05 AM.

#114 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

Oh, and IIRC they're still raising money for Aaron Winborn, his preservation is paid, but he'll need transportation funding.

Does this include a reanimation trust? That would seem to be essential, otherwise he'd face the specter of being a penniless ice cube in a world where he doesn't have any friends or loved ones, and being in need of what is likely to be a phenomenally expensive medical and rehabilitation project, followed by some sort of educational process to bring him up to speed with the world that he would then be living in. This might include some difficult psychological reprogramming to keep him from being totally out of step with his new environment.

If there is a reanimation trust, that would sure be a tempting target for someone to raid in a hundred years.

#115 YOLF

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:13 AM

I'm fairly certain the reanimation trust is part of the regular $28-35K fee. It takes a very small amount at an average return of 8% to generate $2M of cash in 100 years. Ideally there would be additional contributions from friends and family members to a trust in his name. I'm really not sure how CI handles that part. I know a large portion of one's fee goes into the patient care trust at Alcor. TransTime, another cryonics related company also does investments and handles your membership and cryonics fees with CI. In any case, $1 in 500 years at an average of 8% = 51,508,362,501,288,740.00

I wouldn't mind sleeping for 500 years to live off that figure's 8%/year interest ($412,066,900,010,312), would you? Even with inflation eating away at 3.5%/year you'll have $3.6T in equivalent assets to be earning income off of. $162,688,830,538.04 in income at 4.5% after inflation isn't bad at all. Reinvest the first 6 digits and you'll be well on your way to buying your own spaceship. Of course, we'll have to learn not to inflate things with our wealth, that's when things get tricky. The idea that things are worth whatever people are willing to pay for them will have to be done away with or the longest lived will have driven the price of everything sky high. Hopefully we're all misers.

The Society for Venturism also seeks to raise money to help it's members in the future if their funds are insufficient at the time of reanimation.

#116 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:31 AM

Amazing stuff, I never knew that cryonics had moved so far forward

My best bet to survive life is to get as rich as possible and not worry about crazy work loads killing me!

#117 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

Trying to figure out how this relates to skin.
  • like x 1

#118 YOLF

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

Trying to figure out how this relates to skin.

Hmmm considering cryogenic temperatures are used to make molecular patterns more uniform, cryonics could vastly improve you skin!
http://www.metalscience.com/index.php

The original company that was doing this had the best videos, but I'm not finding them...

#119 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:33 AM

Skin disorders are among the most psychologically devastating of illnesses. It wouldn't be surprising if you were experiencing major depression, given what you are having to endure. I wonder if a psychologist or counsellor would be able to offer useful insights or strategies for coping with your situation?

ps: I suppose you have tried iso-tretinoin/ roaccutane for the pustular blistering?

Edited by blood, 07 July 2013 - 05:21 AM.

#120 Soma

• Topic Starter
  • 341 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

Thanks so much for the tip about C60 olive oil, niner. I think I may give this a try. Honestly, if I was in good health, I don't think I would have the courage to ingest this. But seeing as though I have an issue which has completely decimated my quality of life, I will certainly give it a try. It would generally be a bit to experimental for my taste, sort of like those who ingest pet store chemicals, in the hope of living longer.

My suggestion is obviously cryonics. If doctors today can't fix you and it puts your life in such shambles, live for tomorrow (though it may be fairly far away in terms of time). People who are well informed on cryonics feel that there is currently a 50-80% of being reanimated.... Neuro stasis/suspension starts at $10K plus transportation to Russia, the oldest Cryo company in the US charges $28-35K for domestic full body services depending on whether or not you pay ahead of time. Then there is always Alcor who's services last I checked run between $80K for neuro and $200K for whole body. Standby services run $88K through Suspended Animation IIRC. Rudi can give you all of the most up to date info.

Thanks, but that is really not an option. It is overkill to the nth degree to submit to cryogenic freezing with the hope that I may be revived, and if so, that there is will treatment and/or an understanding of this issue. And all of this for a skin issue and a life that I don't really care much for to begin with. It is like using a sledge-hammer for a thumb tack. I don't subscribe to the mostly erroneous notion of cultural/technological progress, anyways. I have no faith in the future whatsoever. I see it devolving in an increasingly dystopian fashion until our species finally eradicates itself, which won't be long...thankfully.

Skin disorders are among the most psychologically devastating of illnesses. It wouldn't be surprising if you were experiencing major depression, given what you are having to endure. I wonder if a psychologist or counsellor would be able to offer useful insights or strategies for coping with your situation?
ps: I suppose you have tried iso-tretinoin/ roaccutane for the pustular blistering?

Yes, they certainly are. That is why the entire notion of life extension to someone who is suffering is a ridiculous, laughable notion. Yes, this has caused major depression and since it is not related to skewed neurochemistry, it doesn't respond well. I have never really felt comfotable about drugging myself in response to a life circumstance anyways. That is just irrsponsible at best, counterproductive at worst. I have never been a candidate for accutane as my skin is excessively dry to begin with.

Edited by Soma, 27 July 2013 - 07:05 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users